Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Silk and Spider Gwen!  (Read 904 times)

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 28
  • Korrasami Expert
Silk and Spider Gwen!
« on: February 28, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
So in the wake of the Spider Verse we've been given two new series! The First released this month was Silk, the second being Spider Gwen.

Let's start off with Silk! Cindy Moon was a gifted child with eidetic memory (photographic Memory) while on a school field trip she was bitten by the same spider that gave Peter his fantastic powers, and at the same time it had bit peter! She was taken away from her parents when a man named Ezekiel Sims realized she was being targeted by the totemic predator Morlun. She was locked away in a buncker that shielded her from Morlun's tracking. And she stayed put for ten years.

Peter freed her, and revealed that Morlun was dead, and had actually died twice. She went to find her parents but they had moved away, Peter promised to help her find them. Then lotrs of stuff happened... including an Intimate relationship with our favorite Wall Crawler.... no not Spider Woman... Okay so our second favorite Wall Crawler... No not Mayday Parker.. uh fine so it was Peter okay?

Then the Spiderverse stuff happened! and Happened it did!

And now we are here at Silk 1. Without spoilign anything I'm gonna do my best to give my thoughts on the book. It's cute, it's certainly on my pull list. Cindy is kind of Awkward, having been locked away in a bunker for ten years she is pretty terrible at being social. But in an awkward way. I'm excited to see where the book goes, and how her story evolves. Will she ever find her parents? Who knows, but I'm excited to find out.

NEXT WE HAVE THE AMAZING SPIDER GWEN!

To be honest, of the two books, this was the one I was most excited for. Gwen Stacy as our spider powered costume vigilante? Yes please! Thought it does beg the question, Does the Spiderbite also come with a case of tragic back story? As you may have guessed, Spider Gwen takes place in a universe where Gwen Stacy was bit by the spider instead of Peter. But Peter didn't go home empty handed no sir. He instead was making plans to get back at his bullies and became that universe's Lizard. A fight ensued between the Spider Woman (gwen Stacy), adnd the Savage Lizard... Peter died his body couldn't handle the lizard serum. OF course this isn't how or favorite Editor in Chief saw thigns. J. Jonah Jameson blamed Spider Woman for Peter's death, mroe so claimed she murdered the parker boy. So now she's on the run from the Police, which includes her father Captain Stacy, all while she's tryign to protect New York from crooks.

While I've kind of spoiled a little bit about what you learn in Spider Verse about Spider Gwen (spider Woman), they do a brief recap in the front of the Issue, in case you did miss the developments in Spider Verse. I have a feeling this book will have a bit of a darker tone to it. Gwen is estranged from everyone, trying to do good in a city that fears her and wants to hunt her down. And being that this is an entirely new story I have no idea where it's going or where it will lead. But I am super excited to find out!

As some of you know I've been less than impressed with Spider-man in recent and not so recent years  (One More Day/Brand New Day.... Superior Spider-Man...), but I feel that same Childhood excitement with these new stories. I hope they grow and don't fall into obvious tropes. I hope that amazing and good things happen for Gwen Stacy in this book because she deserves a universe where good things happen to her.

Did anyone else check out these books? Will you check out these books?

If you already have, what's your take from them?

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
Re: Silk and Spider Gwen!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 11:20:47 AM »
*REVIVES THIS FROM THE DEAD*

ARRRGHHHH, the mere mention of "One More Day/Brand New Day" just sets me off--I'm sorry, I had to get that off my chest again first.

I haven't read Silk yet...partially because I'm still salty about the whole MJ thing, but Renew Your Vows has helped a little. xDX

But! I finally got around to reading Spider-Gwen and I'm really digging it. Its pacing is kind of weird sometimes (I...can't say I liked the second half of the Thanksgiving issue--it was the worst offender), but it actually has a lot of what I enjoy about classic Amazing Spider-Man. It digs into both Gwen and Spider-Woman with an interesting supporting cast. I hope they delve further into Gwen's friendship with the various Mary Janes girls because I think it has a lot of potential. Betty Brant weirds me out though--she's so much more...metal in Earth-65. XD And the way some characters have flip-flopped alignments and all is strange too. Nevertheless, it's been an entertaining read. Gwen needs more hugs though, holy moly...

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »
Wow I made this post almost two years ago, before Marvel said "hey you know what the best idea is? Let's take all our stories and scrap 'em. Do some kinda crazy Doom World thing. ANd then after that start with a whole new universe."

And they did.. kind of? Like they went ahead with Doom World or Battle World or whatever you wanna call it. But when they were getting ready to reboot the universe someone said "HEY That's dumb. No Do not do that. Instead let's get rid of some of the universes that aren't necessary anymore, but keep the main universe and some of the more popular stories."

"But not all the popular stories work in the main universe. So we have to keep some of the fringe universes."

And that's what they did, that's why Miles Morales from Earth 1610 is in the main universe. I remember finding out about the whole  Battle World thing and being so upset because I was like "BUT I JUST STARTED SPIDER GWEN!" Like seriously it was looking like 5 issues and that's it hope you enjoyed.

Thankfully Spider Gwen and Earth-65 are one of those fringe universes they kept. And I've loved the story as it has grown like... wow You are absolutely correct, Gwen needs all the hugs.

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 10:51:24 PM »
Ha, yeah, I noticed that while looking at the reading order for her. Marvel needs to calm down on the re-numbering--it can get pretty confusing, especially when they don't even add a new tagline to the title. #1 TPBs should also have a note if there's a #0, but that's another thing.

Aye, I was happy to see Spider-Gwen is still going--and pretty consistently to boot. Latour and Rodriguez have done a great job so far. Same here...I'm even debating making a pull list and putting it on it. But for real, that poor girl...

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:10 AM »
I dunno anything about this and I don't plan to read that large paragraph that actually isn't large but I'm actually just lazy. That being said I really love Spider Gwen's superhero suit, it's freaking awesome. Also I've always been a big Gwen Stacy fan so this just adds to how much I love whoever came up with this idea.

I don't even know who Silk is, but I dig her suit as well.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 05:44:20 AM »
I dunno anything about this and I don't plan to read that large paragraph that actually isn't large but I'm actually just lazy. That being said I really love Spider Gwen's superhero suit, it's freaking awesome. Also I've always been a big Gwen Stacy fan so this just adds to how much I love whoever came up with this idea.

I don't even know who Silk is, but I dig her suit as well.

In essence, Spider-Gwen is sort of a role-reversal AU--Gwen gets bitten instead of Peter and Peter dies instead of Gwen. Her suit is TOP NOTCH design and got her attention in itself, but I found the comics great as well. Definitely has the Spidey mix of action, feels, and character depth.

I don't know terribly much about Silk yet myself (though I know some things), but agreed there too!

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 06:24:20 AM »
That sounds awesome, with the exception of no Peter Parker though. T__T

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 06:37:25 AM »
That sounds awesome, with the exception of no Peter Parker though. T__T

It IS awesome, IMO. She's also in a band with Peter's other love interests MJ, Betty, and Glory, which is a fun direction for 'em, I think. But oh heavens, the Peter thing kills me...Gwen feels so guilty about it too. </333

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 06:45:53 AM »
Gwen feels more guilty about Peter's death,  than Peter is about Gwen's death

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 06:58:33 AM »
Gwen feels more guilty about Peter's death,  than Peter is about Gwen's death

To be fair, they handled it a lot differently...Peter took comfort with MJ, who was also Gwen's friend. Meanwhile, MJ hadn't met Peter yet in Spider-Gwen's universe, and Gwen "handles" things by going off on her own. Gwen's universe is surprisingly crueler in some ways too--a lot of her baddies like to remind her about Peter, re-opening the wound. Peter also doubles as Gwen's Ben, so there's that too.

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 05:38:52 PM »
That's a pretty fair point

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 11:14:41 PM »
On a somewhat related point, there's a new Spider-Man cartoon coming and we're going to get Spider-Gwen in it!

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »
OKAY SO SPOILERS YO IF YOU'RE NOT KEEPING UP:

THERE'S A WORLD WHERE GWEN AND MILES GET MARRIED AND HAVE ESTABLISHED PEACE AND LIVE WITH SPIDER HAM!? THIS IS AMAZING!!! OH MY GOD!

Also that Kiss at the end of Issue 18! YES! All I want is for Gwen and Miles to be happy and stuff! Also Peter Porker is great. I love him.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 03:43:06 AM »
Miles and Gwen married? Weird, weird, weird. But living with Spider Ham makes it automatically awesome.

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
YO! Who's ready for October!? Because... you know what we're getting? ... GWENOM! Spider-Gwen with the Symbiotie!

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »
YO! Who's ready for October!? Because... you know what we're getting? ... GWENOM! Spider-Gwen with the Symbiotie!

ME. Also hoping the power thing is resolved soon because I enjoy Spider-Gwen, but feel that had been holding it back a little. NEVERTHELESS, GWENOM SOUNDS INTERESTING!

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 08:27:46 PM »
I wonder if this is what people felt like when they were reading Spider-Man back then. Cause i jsut keep getting more and more hype. ANd what's kinda nice about Spider-Gwen is that it doesn't suffer from "ANother New Crisis" every two months. Thank you Universe 65.

Also did anyone else chuckle when they revealed that Logan's name in universe 65 is The Immortal Mr. Murderhands?

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.