Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Legend of Korra Season 2  (Read 11473 times)

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
Re: Legend of Korra Season 2
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »
I'd agree with you if you were talking about The Headband.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2012, 03:16:24 PM »
I'd agree with you if you were talking about The Headband.

Do people hate on The Headband too?

But I mean, at least The Headband has a point to make, and it was revealing the Fire Nation in a different context, much like The Painted Lady did.

Great Divide was just silly and didn't have any real point to it, which made it amusing to watch.

I'll admit, however, whenever I rewatch Avatar, I kind of skip the first half of Book One because it's mostly expository that I remember by heart, so the last time I really watched Great Divide was when I was like....in 6th grade, so maybe my opinions of what an "amusing brainless entertainment experience" might have changed in that time span, but as far as I know, the episode was just silly and wasn't really meant to be taken in any kind of serious light.

Offline FIGJAM

• Traveler Unknown. Rabblerouser. The Trendsetter of TKC
  • Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 37
  • I tried to pay attention, but attention paid me.
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2013, 03:57:21 AM »
When you compare Avatar's fillers (and there are only, what, 2 of them? Ember Island Players notwithstanding) to other animes', they aren't even that bad. Bleach has entire seasons of filler that's considered complete garbage to most of the fanbase.

I mean, there shouldn't even be a moment where people think of comparing Bleach and a franchise like Avatar together. Like, drawing comparisons between bad and good is pretty useless.

On the other hand, drawing filler comparisons between shows of quality status equivalent of Avatar are a more telling barometer of how good Avatar fillers are, and I don't think Avatar fillers are that good. It just makes up a lot more for its well rounded plot.
Easy, killer. Taste is subjective. Which makes the whole argument about whether Avatar's fillers are good or bad null and void, when you think about it. Personally, I didn't mind them as standalone episodes even if they didn't contribute to the overall plot. They were written, in my opinion, with the same amount of quality as some of the more "plot heavy" episodes.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:21 AM »
When you compare Avatar's fillers (and there are only, what, 2 of them? Ember Island Players notwithstanding) to other animes', they aren't even that bad. Bleach has entire seasons of filler that's considered complete garbage to most of the fanbase.

I mean, there shouldn't even be a moment where people think of comparing Bleach and a franchise like Avatar together. Like, drawing comparisons between bad and good is pretty useless.

On the other hand, drawing filler comparisons between shows of quality status equivalent of Avatar are a more telling barometer of how good Avatar fillers are, and I don't think Avatar fillers are that good. It just makes up a lot more for its well rounded plot.
Easy, killer. Taste is subjective. Which makes the whole argument about whether Avatar's fillers are good or bad null and void, when you think about it. Personally, I didn't mind them as standalone episodes even if they didn't contribute to the overall plot. They were written, in my opinion, with the same amount of quality as some of the more "plot heavy" episodes.

And for that matter, it makes the entire argument on whether or not Avatar is good, bad null and avoid, too, doesn't it?

I don't think the fact that taste is "subjective" is a reason to not discuss why something is good or bad, especially since some people are just awful at justifying their tastes while others have specific paradigms that describes their tastes and the clash of opinion stimulates good discussion.

Again, comparing quality of filler between shows like Bleach or Naruto to the quality of Avatar filler tends to just be a pointless affair, since you're lowering the quality of filler to the lowest possible denominator as a method of defending average filler. I don't think the fillers that were in the show were bad, and some of them were great, but I just don't think drawing comparisons with far below average content is a good way of proving the point.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:10:24 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline FIGJAM

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2013, 04:21:52 AM »

And for that matter, it makes the entire argument on whether or not Avatar is good, bad null and avoid, too, doesn't it?

I don't think the fact that taste is "subjective" is a reason to not discuss why something is good or bad, especially since some people are just awful at justifying their tastes while others have specific paradigms that describes their tastes and the clash of opinion stimulates good discussion.

Again, comparing quality of filler between shows like Bleach or Naruto to the quality of Avatar filler tends to just be a pointless affair, since you're lowering the quality of filler to the lowest possible denominator as a method of defending average filler. I don't think the fillers that were in the show were bad, and some of them were great, but I just don't think drawing comparisons with far below average content is a good way of proving the point.
I have no problem with discussing the merits of both shows and their fillers, if that's what you wanted to do. But you're dismissing Bleach, a show I happen to like and consider high quality, as lowgrade without basis, then further saying that you can't compare shows of different quality when the entire assertion is subjective.

I consider Bleach and Avatar excellent shows in their own right, with very different premises and artistic styles, and I found the comparison helpful in highlighting the fact that Avatar fillers are much more enjoyable to me than other shows'. Your subjective preferences do not provide an adequate basis to dismiss shows when there is no objective standard for "average" content.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2013, 04:26:24 AM »
Since when did I say Bleach was garbage? I was referring to the nature of filler, which shows like Bleach and Naruto have notoriously awful filler content.

Whether or not I think Bleach or Naruto or whatever show is average to low quality tier relative to good anime is irrelevant to whether or not their filler is outstandingly bad for having zero content.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:28:42 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline FIGJAM

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2013, 04:32:39 AM »

is a pretty clear opinion about Bleach's quality.

Whether or not I think Bleach or Naruto or whatever show is average to low quality tier relative to good anime is irrelevant to whether or not their filler is outstandingly bad for having zero content.
Considering that's the basis you dismissed the comparison on in the first place, it is. 

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2013, 04:43:12 AM »
Quote (selected)
is a pretty clear opinion about Bleach's quality.

Ah, so I did say that. Eh, that was a while ago so I guess I forgot I had said it.

Anyhow, yes, Bleach is standard gateway anime but nothing special beyond that. It's fun. Action packed, but like a lot of shows that's all there is to it. I don't particularly think that's a bad thing, but I wouldn't say I like these things anymore than what they are.  It's a standard shounen show, and like a lot of anime of its genre it tries to capture its audience with cliche archetype characterization, relative predictability, slapstick jokes, tearjerkers, not to mention most shounen shows of supposed Bleach-level epicness tend to portray characters growing at exponential power levels and tends to try to overdramaticize this by layering shock value on shock value as if that's an indicator of good story telling.

It's not particularly bad, but it's average at best, and would probably clinch marks much lower than I'd give Avatar or Legend of Korra, which is why I'm confused at the comparison since you're comparing two shows of highly differing quality.

Edit: I'd also like to make the point that trying to compare fillers across series, especially shows like Naruto and Bleach, who had fillers because they caught up with the manga, is inherently a pointless affair, even more so than the fact that you're comparing two very different shows.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:50:01 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2013, 05:03:50 AM »
You make a great point, Guy. I'm not even sure exactly why we're comparing the two. I'll just say this, Avatar's fillers are much much better than fillers in Bleach and Naruto. I actually like most of ATLA's fillers.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
Avatar has good enough filler because their filler contributes to the plot, merely in more subtle ways. In anime, they really are just playing around until they can use the material from the manga, with varying degrees of quality. They tend to stray away from the plot, because if they do anything that actually affects the plot, then as soon as they return to the manga's arc, it might go in a contradictory direction. Avatar's filler was more about filling up space, and aside from the Great Divide, it was always able to add something important. They're two vastly different kinds of filler.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2013, 07:24:35 PM »
Exactly, Av. Exactly. The point of anime fillers is so the anime doesn't catch up too fast to the manga. So it's usually not relevant to the plot.

Avatar isn't an adaption, so the fillers kinda require a little relevance.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:26:48 PM by Fenix »

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.