Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Harry Potter  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Harry Potter
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »
I still can't seem to read it in a British accent though.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • sig via tumblr, icon by delanynder
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 04:14:18 AM »
I sort of can. It sounds better in my head at least than from my mouth. XD

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 04:16:19 AM »
Yeah I can't do a British accent out loud to save my life.

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • sig via tumblr, icon by delanynder
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 03:43:19 AM »
Same here! I'm terrible at it. My sister thinks hers is good, but it's really not.

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

Offline WinterStar

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 9
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2012, 11:18:09 AM »
Ah, Harry Potter. My first obsession. I'll love it forever!

Offline Nukilik

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 97
  • http://25.media.tumblr.com/9030ce0b1e02557e0cf2b56
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
Ah, Harry Potter. My first obsession. I'll love it forever!

It wasn't my first obsession. Pokemon was, shame on me. But at least it's one I'm still found of despite the years that went by.

Ah, Harry Potter! I gew up with it too. It's an enchanting world and an amazing story. It shall always have a place in my heart <3
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:07:48 PM by Nukilik »

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
I would have to say this was my first spazzy fandom. I watched all the movies when they came out and read most of the books (the last one i didn't get a chance to)

Then i got my mom into it (she still watches HP like..every other day..lol) and i started to grow out of it. I still love Harry Potter it just took a backseat once i watched Avatar in it's '05 world premiere. ^_^'

Harry/Hermione FTW *coughs and exits*
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
Harry Potter was my childhood! I doubt I'll ever get over this story completely.

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »
Harry Potter was my first obsession as well. It was the first fandom that I joined, and it had my first OTP. Ron/Hermione. I mean, I shipped other things before HP, but they were like my first legit OTP that I got crazy and spazzy about. :3

Okay, so here's my tl'dr story about how I got into Harry Potter (click to show/hide)
I remember reading Sorcerer's Stone in like, the second grade and I remember getting the first 4 books for Christmas one year, but I never read them.  I went and saw the movie when it came out (and I am a proud Potter fan to say that I saw all 8 movies in the theatre :3). I also saw CoS when it came out, and got the VHS tapes for them both. xD Then when PoA came out, that was when my obsession really started. I loved the movie a lot. It was like my favorite thing. Then I decided to read CoS and PoA since I had the books sitting right there and I hadn't touched them at all. Then I had a slight dilemma. After I finished PoA, I really wanted to read GoF, but I wanted the movie to be a surprise.

Eventually I just said "Eff it" and I read GoF and was glad I did because I fell in love. When I finished, OotP had come the year before, so I was lucky. I bought the book asap and read it. Harry Potter really meant a lot to me back then (I was like 13 I think) because I didn't really have many friends and it made me really happy and took me to a place where I had many friends. (Lame, I know xD).

After finishing OotP, I had nothing else to read, so I just spazzed and watched the movies over ad over, memorizing the lines. I bought a lot of HP-related stuff like posters, the soundtracks, the video games, and eve this awesome board game. I wrote lame and awful fanfiction, drew awful fanart, and made trivia. I was legit the biggest HP nerd you would ever meet and if you ever wanted to know something about it, I was the one you go and ask.

Seriously, I was like, known as the Harry Potter nerd through out middle and high school, it was awesome.  (Even if that title was taken in a negative way among the students). I met one of my best friends through our mutual love for it and we spazzed together and were total nerds. That's when I came up with the name quidditchchick, and I made that up before anyone else, like seriously. If you see it elsewhere, they stole it from me. xD I remember even decorating shirts and writing on our faces in 9th grade when the GoF movie came out. We saw the first showing that day, it was awesome. We watched every other HP movie together since then too. All the way to the very end. We even had a marathon before HP7 part 2. We went to the midnight show at the IMAX for both parts and we dressed up and it was so fun. I even remember when the HBP ad DH books came out. We so much spazzing. Good times, man.

Anyway, I'm getting way too rambley and that's probably on the account that it's almost 5am, so I'm heading to bed now. xD
<< Post Merge: January 12, 2013, 06:48:26 AM >>

I killed it! D:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:48:26 AM by quidditchchick »

~Set by me~

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 12:10:48 AM »
GUYS. DID YOU ALL TAKE THE NEW QUIZ ON POTTERMORE?

I'm a little like this song again because depending on which questions I get, I either get put into Wampus or Horned Serpent. Given my Gryffindor-self, I'm leaning toward Wampus...but I've always had the problem of, to put it in these house terms, feeling like a warrior-scholar. XDx I think I felt more strongly about the Wampus questions though... (PRETTY SURE THE VAST MAJORITY OF ALL MY FRIENDS ARE IN HORNED SERPENT THOUGH, MAN. ME AND MY DUMB WARRIOR SOUL. MAYBE.)

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 12:27:57 AM »
I'm a Thunderbird, and I've never felt more comfortable being sorted into a house.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
I'm a Thunderbird, and I've never felt more comfortable being sorted into a house.

That's an awesome one too! ...I wish the descriptions for theses were more detailed. All I'm terribly confident in is that I'm not in Pukwudgie--not that that one doesn't sound good either, but I've never felt at home in a healer role.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 12:35:15 AM »

That's an awesome one too! ...I wish the descriptions for theses were more detailed. All I'm terribly confident in is that I'm not in Pukwudgie--not that that one doesn't sound good either, but I've never felt at home in a healer role.

I keep reading my profile's Thunderbird section expecting more information to magically appear.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 12:37:52 AM »

I keep reading my profile's Thunderbird section expecting more information to magically appear.
I must admit to doing this as well. XD

Man, I need someone to crack this quiz open and create a version of it with all the questions. I just took it again on another e-mail and got new questions. (It threw me in Wampus again, so I think my hunch was correct???)

I really like the new houses though--all of them have certain boss qualities that I dig.

Offline Nadeshani

• Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 80
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 12:43:37 AM »
Only now getting into Pottermore but of course the first thing I did was get sorted into Houses. I'm a Gryffindor at Hogwarts and Thunderbird at Ilvermorny and I gotta say that I feel pretty badass about it.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 12:49:42 AM »
I got into Gryffindor but I just can't see myself as one at all. I'll stick with what I was sorted into the first time I took the quiz, which I believe was Slytherin.

I got Puckwudgie, but I don't have a clear idea of what each house represents, so I can't say if it's accurate or not yet.

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51:10 AM »
This chick was sorted into Horned Serpent. Considering I'm a Ravenclaw too, I guess that makes sense.
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:03 AM »
This chick was sorted into Horned Serpent. Considering I'm a Ravenclaw too, I guess that makes sense.

I can totes see this, nice! I'm pretty sure this is where my Ravenclaw cousin will wind up too, but we'll see. My guess is that there'd be more correlation between these houses as opposed to other Hogwarts/Ilvermorny houses, but I could be wrong.

I got into Gryffindor but I just can't see myself as one at all. I'll stick with what I was sorted into the first time I took the quiz, which I believe was Slytherin.

I got Puckwudgie, but I don't have a clear idea of what each house represents, so I can't say if it's accurate or not yet.

There are always hatstalls! I can see that though, given your personality and interest in ruling the world. XD

Ooo, perhaps the people I know are more rounded than I first thought! (Am I alone in my NA house though? XD)

Only now getting into Pottermore but of course the first thing I did was get sorted into Houses. I'm a Gryffindor at Hogwarts and Thunderbird at Ilvermorny and I gotta say that I feel pretty badass about it.

Nice!

I haven't gotten Thunderbird, but I wonder where it is if I were able to find out percentages. I feel like my answer in the challenges questions could swing that way, but I have such a problem with authority that I landed in Wampus. That's my theory, at least, because that answer seems to have changed the most for me by showing up sometimes but not others.

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:28 AM »
Herp a derp, there's at least a little more information in the school's article!

Some relevant excerpts: (click to show/hide)General:

Quote (selected)
For Chadwick, an intelligent but often temperamental boy, it was the Thunderbird that can create storms as it flies. For argumentative but fiercely loyal Webster, it was the Wampus, a magical panther-like creature that was fast, strong and almost impossible to kill. For Isolt, it was, of course, the Horned Serpent that she still visited and with which she felt a strange sense of kinship.

Quote (selected)
While the rest of the school watches from the circular balcony overhead, new students file into the round entrance hall. They stand around the walls and, one by one, are called to stand on the symbol of the Gordian Knot set into the middle of the stone floor. In silence the school then waits for the enchanted carvings to react. If the Horned Serpent wants the student, the crystal set into its forehead will light up. If the Wampus wants the student, it roars. The Thunderbird signifies its approval by beating its wings, and the Pukwudgie will raise its arrow into the air.

Should more than one carving signify its wish to include the student in its house, the choice rests with the student. Very rarely – perhaps once a decade – a student is offered a place in all four houses. Seraphina Picquery, President of MACUSA 1920 - 1928, was the only witch of her generation so honoured, and she chose Horned Serpent.

It is sometimes said of the Ilvermorny houses that they represent the whole witch or wizard: the mind is represented by Horned Serpent; the body, Wampus; the heart, Pukwudgie and the soul, Thunderbird. Others say that Horned Serpent favours scholars, Wampus, warriors, Pukwudgie, healers and Thunderbird, adventurers.

Specific:

Quote (selected)
The Pukwudgie is also native to America: a short, grey-faced, large-eared creature distantly related to the European goblin. Fiercely independent, tricky and not over-fond of humankind (whether magical or mundane), it possesses its own powerful magic. Pukwudgies hunt with deadly, poisonous arrows and enjoy playing tricks on humans.

Quote (selected)
Most fascinating of all to Isolt, was the great horned river serpent with a jewel set into its forehead, which lived in a nearby creek. Even her Pukwudgie guide was terrified of this beast, but to his astonishment, the Horned Serpent seemed to like Isolt. Even more alarming to William was the fact that she claimed to understand what the Horned Serpent was saying to her.

Quote (selected)
On the contrary, their magical cores vibrated to the sound of the ancient language and, sensing danger to their masters, began to emit a low musical note, exactly as the Horned Serpent sounds danger.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 02:45:01 AM »
You could probably analyze the Hogwarts quiz in Pottermore. I'm sure it's been done before. In my opinion though, much like the other quizzes I have a problem with some of the choices, because honestly sometimes I don't apply to any of the answers or I really don't have much of an opinion on either of them. If there's one upside to the quiz that unlike other online quizzes is that it's biased or doesn't stereotype/generalize the houses.

I do think I could fit in Slytherin quite well, which is something not everyone embraces that I totally would.

I did the test again with a new account and I got Thunderbird, but I think I was more honest so I feel it was a better result. Dunno if I fit there still, not sure how adventurous I am really.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:55:28 AM by Fenix »

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.