Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Borra General Discussion!  (Read 22990 times)

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 56
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
Re: Borra General Discussion!
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 03:53:58 AM »
Poor Bolin :C

I hate that Mike and Bryan are always applauded for "breaking the mold" and whatnot with their writing

how is Korra not getting with Bolin "breaking the mold". sweet guys like Bolin lose like that all the time D:

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:23 AM »
Bolin will get some super lovin this next season..i KNOW it!

I just hope its with Korra<33
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 04:18:13 AM »
I could never get into this ship, I don't know why. But I do really appreciate their friendship.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Secrets

• feathered and lethal
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 73
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 04:18:19 AM »
I think I recall that Bolin will be getting an "interesting" romance arc this season. please bryke don't screw it up

Offline MasterFirebender84

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 41
  • It's time for this world to end in fire!
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:56 AM »
My heart goes out to Bolin. We're both nice guys who are absolute sweethearts towards girls, and yet we're both overlooked for someone else...

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

- General Iroh, the Dragon of the West -

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 04:27:28 AM »
I think I recall that Bolin will be getting an "interesting" romance arc this season. please bryke don't screw it up

I'm very intrigued by who it'll be. Didn't they say it's a new character? Seriously, if they do this right and make it amusing I will forgive Bryke.

My heart goes out to Bolin. We're both nice guys who are absolute sweethearts towards girls, and yet we're both overlooked for someone else...

Aww, poor Sparky.

Offline teatimeallthetime

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 16
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »

yup. here's a youtube interview where PJ Byrne accidentally lets too much slip about next season:

dangit i can't html it up right now here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyYsTEP5T4I
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 04:29:58 AM by teatimeallthetime »

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:53 AM »
Like most other TLoK ships, I like Borra. I'm just not hardcore shipping it. It's certainly the most relatable ship of the bunch for me.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 04:34:37 AM »
I'm actually really bothered with how Borra was handled. Because this show is meant for a younger audience and these characters can be role models. How does it look to see sweet, funny, caring Bolin lose the hero girl to Mako? As much as I love Bolin, I don't really care if he gets a new love interest because they already put the message out there that he's not good enough for Korra, who is the main character to follow.

Situations such as what happened with Borra IRL can really mess people up :C  Why can't the funny, nice guy get the girl?

Offline MasterFirebender84

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 41
  • It's time for this world to end in fire!
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 04:37:17 AM »
Why can't the funny, nice guy get the girl?

Same question I've been asking myself all my life...

*Curls up into sad ball*

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

- General Iroh, the Dragon of the West -

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 04:39:08 AM »
M'dear, I've been asking that for most of my life. Many of us have been :(.

(like for instance, Masterfirebender, right before I posted this XD)

I'm guessing most people would say something about how he isn't "alpha', or confident enough, or didn't build attraction with the girl. Only, he does seem pretty confident...and girls usually list humor as an attractive trait.

Hrm.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 04:45:38 AM »
I may have found Mako more attractive when I was younger and more naive, but now that I'm older I really can't see why Bolin didn't get the girl. D: But then, maybe I'm just weird.

It's okay, Bolin. I still love you.

I just hope that Borra isn't endgame only because Bolin is turned into a Nice Guy who is still Korra's friend and if/when she and Mako have problems he pushes her into his arms, etc. That's not how I'd want it. >_>;;

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 04:51:00 AM »
I think while Korra liked Bolin, maybe she just found him too much like herself to be attracted. Some people are like that. Sometimes you can't help but think of someone with common interests as a friend than a love interest.

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 05:06:08 AM »
That's true. But at the same time, common interests can lead to a longer better lasting relationships. More opposite personalities tend to spark passion, but once that dies then the rest can fizzle out as well.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 05:22:02 AM »
Also very true. Ugh, romance is so complicated and nasty sometimes.

Opposites attract sounds passionate and exciting at all, but it doesn't work. It doesn't actually exist. To have a working relationship, you need to have a least a few things in common with your partner. That being said, being too much alike can cause problems as well.

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 05:43:37 AM »
I'm actually really bothered with how Borra was handled. Because this show is meant for a younger audience and these characters can be role models. How does it look to see sweet, funny, caring Bolin lose the hero girl to Mako? As much as I love Bolin, I don't really care if he gets a new love interest because they already put the message out there that he's not good enough for Korra, who is the main character to follow.

Situations such as what happened with Borra IRL can really mess people up :C  Why can't the funny, nice guy get the girl?
So much this. This is the main thing that irked me about how they went with the ships in the show. It made it seem like they were telling all of the youngsters watching that "the cute, funny, nice guy can only be your friend while the tall, dark, and handsome guy can be your boyfriend." I mean, I know people have preferences, and nothing against the tall, dark, and handsome guys, but it seems like they're setting a bad example for guys like Bolin. :c

~Set by me~

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »

So much this. This is the main thing that irked me about how they went with the ships in the show. It made it seem like they were telling all of the youngsters watching that "the cute, funny, nice guy can only be your friend while the tall, dark, and handsome guy can be your boyfriend." I mean, I know people have preferences, and nothing against the tall, dark, and handsome guys, but it seems like they're setting a bad example for guys like Bolin. :c

They really are. And I mean that sincerely. There are many young guys like Bolin who do lose out to guys like Mako - who continue to lose out. And now that even plays out in the fiction they like. They can never be the hero.

Also very true. Ugh, romance is so complicated and nasty sometimes.

Opposites attract sounds passionate and exciting at all, but it doesn't work. It doesn't actually exist. To have a working relationship, you need to have a least a few things in common with your partner. That being said, being too much alike can cause problems as well.

I agree. Not to project - but I know some fo the bumps in my current relationship is that my partner and I are alike in many ways. We dont' always differ where it's important to. However, we still seem to work pretty well because of common interests and other similarities. It's a toss up. (for example - he and I are both pretty lazy. So chores tend to not get done until the last minute when one or both of us gets too frustrated. However we both like working with a partner when doing a task we don't like so we wind up doing said chores together fairy contentedly)

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2012, 09:26:27 AM »
Why can't the funny, nice guy get the girl?

^^Damn straight.

Then again... we all know that Sokka deserves All The Ladies, and the short bald kid got the Hero Girl in the previous series.

But still. Not comparable. In ATLA, Kataang was predestined and Sokka wasn't "the nice, funny guy in competition with The Hot One." Sokka was The Hot One.  With the Mako/Korra/Bolin love thingamajig, it was a clearly presented case of "Here are two guys. Which one should Korra be with? The funny, sweet, honest, good-hearted man whose personality complements her own? Or the smouldering, brooding man with an excess of angst who spent most of the first few episodes putting her down and disrespecting her?"  And, of course, she ended up with the Bad Boy Whiner just... um... because?

Badly done, Bryke, badly done.  Here's to hoping that Season 2 includes Korra regretting what she gave up...

Offline PSUKFB92

• I am...PENN STATE's...Katara fanboy.
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
  • Penn Stater for life. Katara fan for life.
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
What I loved about the Borra we saw is that imo, Bolin helped bring out a much-needed, light-hearted side of Korra. Here was this serious, hard-core fighter who was willing to get herself into a belching contest with the guy and laugh over the whole thing. Overall too, I think Bolin could have also gained some more serious attributes and grown well with Korra. So yeah, I think they each could have brought the best in each other and mold themselves into perfectly balanced people.

Sadly, we got a half-arsed Makorra ship instead.
ATLA keeps: Kataang hug from The Serpent's Pass, Sokka's DoBS WT armor, Katara's water skins, Appa, Azula's lightning.

LoK keeps: Asami's electric glove, Bolin's seaweed noodles, Korra's hat trick in the pro-bending tournament, Lin Beifong's police uniform, the waterfall behind Tarrlok's desk.

Sig made by Secrets

Offline Megara

• The Last Rainbowbender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
  • icon - jackie-lyn @ dA
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
Honestly, I think my issue with the way the love triangle was handled has a lot less to do with Bolin not ending up with Korra and a lot more to do with Mako ending up with her.

I don't really agree with the whole argument about the nice funny guy never getting the girl because, well, that's another story for another day. I'll just say that, while I adore Bolin and Korra together, if she doesn't have feelings for him that does need to be respected even if I wish she did. What I dislike is how Mako treated both Asami and Korra like crap and suffered no consequences for it. His behavior was, in my opinion, inexcusable, but he got the girl he wanted anyway. I think that kinda sucks, because it teaches the wrong lessons to kids. If Korra was into his personality, that's fine, I just wish he'd gotten at least a little karmic retribution I suppose.
"The theme of this year's event is, 'learning is delightful and delicious' - as, by the way, am I."

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.