Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Zutara General Discussion  (Read 11211 times)

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
Re: Zutara General Discussion
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 01:14:32 AM »
I must be kinda strange. I don't necessarily ship Zutara in thinking they would've worked in the show, but I just like it in fanon I guess.

Yeah same I guess?

I don't need it to be plausible in-universe, I can just pick up on a couple of things I like about two characters' dynamic and imagine them together.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 01:39:15 AM »
I must be kinda strange. I don't necessarily ship Zutara in thinking they would've worked in the show, but I just like it in fanon I guess.

Yeah same I guess?

I don't need it to be plausible in-universe, I can just pick up on a couple of things I like about two characters' dynamic and imagine them together.

Yep, that's basically me. I mean I do ship canon a lot, but sometimes I just like to have fun and ship whatever I want cuz I'm a multishipper.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 04:38:59 AM »
Multi-shipping is good.

But I just can't do it when two characters both express visible and intense disgust at the idea of them in a romantic relationship.  It's like "why are you flagrantly disrespecting their wishes?"  I just can't hurt my babies like that.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 05:27:07 AM »
Normally I'd agree. But I just don't think like that when it comes to Zutara. I'm weird.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 05:44:06 AM »
Yeah, if THIS:

is two character's reaction to the idea of them being together... not going there.

If it were two characters that I hated and wanted to see unhappy, I'd probably force them to be together out of spite.  But two characters I like and respect, the way I do Zuko and Katara?  No way.  From their reactions (Zuko's look of abject horror and nausea especially), it looks like it would be a particularly painful punishment.

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 06:13:47 AM »
Multi-shipping is good.

But I just can't do it when two characters both express visible and intense disgust at the idea of them in a romantic relationship.  It's like "why are you flagrantly disrespecting their wishes?"  I just can't hurt my babies like that.

That's just classic sitcom/soap opera romance logic though. Of course they're disgusted by each other, they're in love!

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 06:19:53 AM »
Yeah, the logic behind Zutara generally reads like a Harlequin, to me.  Not exactly a flattering comparison.

It's one thing when you have a Pride & Prejudice situation, where two people are actually deeply compatible but through a series of misunderstandings, they end up initially disliking each other, but eventually come to have a deep respect for and attraction to each other.  Nothing wrong with two strong personalities that draw some sparks before they figure each other out.

It's quite another thing entirely when two characters spend most of the series flat out hating each other (not just disliking but actively HATING), and then overcome their differences and become friends, but are still clearly shown to be disgusted by the idea of a romantic relationship.  Multiple murder attempts and a handful of death threats =/= witty banter of future soul mates.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »
True dat.  I love how when the EIP were shipping Zutara, Zuko has exactly the same expression he wore when the EIP were shipping the Blue Spirit/femme!Aang... horror and nausea mixed with just the tiniest dose of shock.

Seriously, do a side-by-side comparison.  Zuko is only the tiniest bit more horrified by subtext that implies something with AANG than he is by Zutara.

And Katara's just like "uhhhhhhhh yeahNO..."

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 11:53:50 PM »
How can two people who are so attractive be so nauseated by the thought of getting with each other?

Offline MasterFirebender84

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 41
  • It's time for this world to end in fire!
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
How can two people who are so attractive be so nauseated by the thought of getting with each other?

Maybe because they feel that their personalities would not mesh together well. Looks are not everything when it comes to a relationship. Plus, there's also the factor of romantic feelings towards the other party, neither of which Zuko or Katara had for each other. They honestly could not see themselves becoming more than friends, and the mere thought of them being together in a romantic sense was a thought they found unappealing.

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

- General Iroh, the Dragon of the West -

Offline Nukilik

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 97
  • http://25.media.tumblr.com/9030ce0b1e02557e0cf2b56
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 02:37:51 AM »
^ He has a point though: They ARE attractive. And they are teenagers. Naturally romance/shipping could be assumed to ensue.

But I guess ninja buddies just don't do romance? I mean, they ARE sliding through the screen against the laws of physics.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:40:18 AM by Nukilik »

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 02:42:32 AM »
So many ignorant ninja stereotypes in here.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 02:51:55 AM »
I think almost every ship starts with the basis of attraction and attractiveness, just like how crushes in real life start. Is that a bad thing? Of course not, it's natural. I think most of us shippers can vouch for the fact that we started shipping certain pairs because they looked good together. Yeah I'm sure lots of Zutarians started with that, and while some may have stayed to that shallow reason, I'm also sure many got past that and love more about the ship for other reasons as well that aren't so shallow.

Offline Nukilik

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 02:57:14 AM »
Quote (selected)
. Yeah I'm sure lots of Zutarians started with that, and while some may have stayed to that shallow reason, I'm also sure many got past that and love more about the ship for other reasons as well that aren't so shallow.

Yup. The amout of huge and analitical Zutarian essays I've seen arround supports that. Can't deny the shippers are very passionate and it goes way beyond looks.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:01:59 AM by Nukilik »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 03:12:47 AM »
-nods- I think that's my problem with a lot of anti-Zutarian arguments. Sure there's a lot of merit to it, because there are a lot of shallow shippers, but I feel like that's what too many of the arguments focus on. Understandable since the shallow ones are often the most vocal. But still, many people can't seem to get past the shallow shippers and realize there are some deep and passionate Zutara shippers. They actually have some pretty cool reasons to like the ship.

It's a shame that really in any fandom, most of what ends up in your face are the shallow shippers.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 03:47:17 AM »
Sad, but true.  It's why Zutara is The Hawt Ship and virtually nothing else, and it's why Kataang is The Fluff Ship and virtually nothing else.

Out of curiosity, I'm interested in actually hearing what some of these deep Zutarian arguments are, because I've never been able to understand how you take canon and arrive at Zutara, so I'd really like to examine the perspective and see if I can figure out the appeal.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »
I'd like to know since I ship it more as a fanon. For fun really. I'd explain my appeal to it myself, but right now my brain is just so frazzled it won't let me remember why it appeals to me. XD

I think many though, don't even consider canon when they ship Zutara. Maybe they're just like me and ship it for fanon. They're passionate about it, but they're fine with it not being canon.

Offline PSUKFB92

• I am...PENN STATE's...Katara fanboy.
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
  • Penn Stater for life. Katara fan for life.
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 03:57:33 AM »
Romantically, I just can't see it with Zuko and Katara. I mean, they clearly don't want it themselves. Plus, Aang understands Katara so well - something Zuko admits to. We also see how Mai did a better job at bringing out a better, more open side of him. Zuko/Mai, Katara/Aang, they just each click more romantically. With how closed off Zuko can be, I agree that Katara probably would have a hard time putting up with him.

That said - I like their friendship. I do like that they reconciled in the end, and the whole "Taking a lightning bolt" thing to show his great development in general.
ATLA keeps: Kataang hug from The Serpent's Pass, Sokka's DoBS WT armor, Katara's water skins, Appa, Azula's lightning.

LoK keeps: Asami's electric glove, Bolin's seaweed noodles, Korra's hat trick in the pro-bending tournament, Lin Beifong's police uniform, the waterfall behind Tarrlok's desk.

Sig made by Secrets

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 03:58:14 AM »
I think many though, don't even consider canon when they ship Zutara. Maybe they're just like me and ship it for fanon. They're passionate about it, but they're fine with it not being canon.

I think this is it. It just gets placed under more scrutiny because of its popularity. Its two characters who have a dynamic relationship and lots of interaction in the show and are around the same age. Its not hard to see the appeal.

Offline Nukilik

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 04:02:04 AM »
Yeah, Melon, I meant huge "Why I ship FANON Zutara" essays. Fanon I can understand, at least. They have a dynamic that many people felt compelled with, obviously, and adding the fact that they're attactive it's not surprizing that many people want to build a romantic development there.

Cue insane number of fanfics and fanart.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 04:05:44 AM by Nukilik »

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.