Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Zutara General Discussion  (Read 11209 times)

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
Zutara General Discussion
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:51:53 AM »

Discuss all things Zutara here! Just remember our forum rules. Constructive arguments are fine, but bashing is not.

~Set by me~

Offline Zevinja

• Councilwoman Zevinja / Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 68
  • Do the thing!
Re: Zutara General Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »
This is ma place right hurr.

I still predict old!Zuko/Katara moments in Korra.  They're both alive, so why not?

I c o n s     b y     m y     S e c r e t     S a n t a !

Offline Sachianna

• Task Force
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 22
  • Korra. Dat Face Tho.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 05:43:02 AM »
Oh man. I'm so glad I'm at a place in my life where I can sit back and enjoy the aesthetics of this ship. This needs a good glass of red wine to go with it.

You can't spell FIERCE without FIRE.
               OH MY GOD IT'S KATAANGLED.

Offline quidditchchick

• Knockout!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:25:46 AM »
Man, I saw this really amazing Zutara fanart the other day. I really wanted to post it, but I forgot. Now I must find it!

~Set by me~

Offline Scooter

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 12:37:23 AM »
well i just found my place. word.

NOT MINE.

Offline LadyKatara

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 18
  • Kataang Always!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:47:44 AM »
While I ship Kataang for romance, I love Zutara friendship!

"Vivec is a poet. Trust not the words of a poet, as he is born to seduce. Yet for poetry to sieze the heart, it must ring with the chimes of truth."

Formally katara314 on KF

Offline quidditchchick

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:57:41 AM »
If you'd like to post Zutara art, please post it here: http://thekorraconnection.com/index.php?topic=216.msg732;topicseen#new

This thread is for Zutara discussion, remember. x3

~Set by me~

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 02:47:07 AM »
I'm really glad I've become the kind of person who can enjoy both Zutara and Kataang, because in all honesty they both rock. I can still remember why and when I became a Zutara shipper, it was only a year ago. XD

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Scooter

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:32 AM »
sorry.

Offline quidditchchick

• Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 03:24:04 AM »
No need to be sorry, just letting you guys know right away. x3

~Set by me~

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:14 AM »
I'm not a huge Zutarian at core, but that art. Holy gravy. It's so cute.

Offline Scooter

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:51:45 AM »
its steamy :l

Offline Zevinja

• Councilwoman Zevinja / Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 68
  • Do the thing!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 07:19:34 AM »
Old Zuko and Katara? All I ask for is more ninja-moments.

You...I like you.  They are clearly the best ninja partners the ATLA-verse has ever seen.

I c o n s     b y     m y     S e c r e t     S a n t a !

Offline thefirelordzuko

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 1
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
Now, I think it's time to get into some really awesome discussions about this beautiful ship called Zutara. There are loads of things to talk about, but I think it's best to start with the easiest question to come up with, but not the easiest or shortest to answer:

Why do you ship Zutara?

Of course, a full explination as to why I ship Zutara cannot be put into a mere sentence that consists of "They are perfect together" or "Omg I love this ship". Because while that is true, that doesn't validate as to why they fit together. There are many aspects to why I ship Zuko and Katara, but none of them is that I believe they are canon. They obviously aren't and either way just saying "CANON" is a stupid argument because I've seen many couples that don't work become canon. You need to have actual dynamics and people percieve things differently so there will always be different interpretations to such dynamics. However, and I'm saying this because I saw a post on Tumblr that said something extremely rude about this, neither ship or couple or type of relationship is superior to the other.

It's really just a matter about what works and what doesn't.

Let me start this off with a wonderful quote my someone from another forum, "honeybee":
Quote (selected)
One word: redemption. They're both flawed human beings trying to find their place in the world. Neither of them are perfect - god knows both characters, at times, have been absolutely horrible to one another throughout the series. But you know what? Even when they were on opposing sides, they still tried to save one other - from pirates, harsh elements, failing rocks, and just plain falling. But more than the physical dangers, they also tried to soothe one another of the emotional pain they've endured in their short lives as well.

If you think about it, they have opened up to each other in ways that neither of them could bring themselves to do with those who were closest to them.

They don't know each other, don't trust each other, but they understand each other, because they both share a common pain: the loss of a mother.

But more than that, they've seen each other at their darkest moments. He understood anger and violence all too well, so when she bloodbended and displayed a ruthlessness that even took him by surprise, he didn't try and talk her down from it. He understood what it was like to be in that kind of mind set. To be so obsessed with something that you grew a bitter and resentful attitude towards everyone and everything around you, because they didn't understand. How could they? So he kept quiet and let her make her own choices. He knew that she needed to confront her demons, not run away from them. If she had done what Aang wanted and not pursue the matter, it would have ate her up inside, and she would have hated him for it.

Okay, so maybe Zuko did what he did out of selfish reasons, but there's no denying that he understood exactly how she felt. If he had the chance to go after the person who took his mother away from him, there would be no stopping him.

Zuko was there, by her side, when she faced her mother's killer, and she was by his side when he was feeling so utterly despondent about facing his Uncle again after everything he had said and did to him. They both seem to come at exactly the right moment to pick each other back up again after a fall.

Plus, let's not forget that he took a freakin' bolt of lightning to the heart for her!

*Ahem* This is why I ship this pairing. Because they understand each other in a way that no one else possibly could.

I would love to see everyone's take on why they ship Zutara (: I will probably get more in depth with MY OWN words when the discussion gets going because I really don't know where to start with Zutara, there are so many things to comment on.

Remeber, no bashing other ships and/or characters. You can comment on them to give examples and such, but no mean words. <3

Offline MasterFirebender84

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 41
  • It's time for this world to end in fire!
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 04:09:30 PM »
Shiney's most recent post made me think about this one Zutara-ish essay I had once posted on KF way back in the day. As a special gift to TKC's Zutarians, I will post that essay later on in the day. Be sure to keep an eye out for it.

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

- General Iroh, the Dragon of the West -

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
I'm not a huge Zutarian at core, but that art. Holy gravy. It's so cute.

It is! And I'm all for older Zuko and Katara moments, ninja-moments or otherwise. ^^'

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Nukilik

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 97
  • http://25.media.tumblr.com/9030ce0b1e02557e0cf2b56
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
*post*

I'm gonna agree with Shiney here. I used to enjoy watching Katara and Zuko's enemies/trust/betrayal/mistrust/redemption/friendship arc. I thought it was beautiful.

But came the fandom and tainted it for me. Exactly by adding romance to the very thing they love about those two: the actual redemption arc they go through. Which was ALWAYS, to me, a perfectly fine platonic relationship.

I like all kinds of friendship Zutara, still. Be it ninja style or LOK old style :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:22:15 PM by Nukilik »

Offline thefirelordzuko

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 1
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »
I can respect your viewpoint on The Southern Raiders, however I see it a bit differently because of several things. On of them being: Violence and Forgivness are not the same thing.

What I don't exactly like about TSR discussions is many people like to make it about this Zuko VS. Aang thing when it's actually about Katara. Not only is it that she can never forgive the man who killed her mother and she's ready to forgive Zuko, but it's also about that she needed to forgive herself.

Zuko and Aang both had decent points, to me. Obviously killing Yon Rha won't bring her mother back. But what Aang was bringing up, forgiving Yon Rha, isn't something that can be forced. A person can't be pushed into forgiving another and nagging someone to do that won't help either. Katara needed to sort her locked up feelings her own way, and Zuko is the one that understands that. He give her his aid, but not for a moment is he pressuring her to do antyhing; this episode is all about Katara and her decisions. It doesn't really matter what Aang or Zuko think, really. It's about Katara.

Zuko was never inforcing anything on her, he simply understood her angry and her darkness because he is in a similar situation and knew she needed to figure these things out by herself. Which she did in the end. He understood her loss and he understood her guilt.

There is nothing wrong or right about the points from bother boys, but in the end STR was about Katara, not them. She needed a catharsis and while she couldn't kill Yon Rha, she couldn't forgive him either. She needed to face her fears, her guilt and her anger and resentment, and, in the end, she realized this was a journey of understanding. The actual person she needed to confront and forgive was herself, and in the end it allowed her to forgive Zuko.

So while Zuko agreed in the end that violence was not the answer (not forgiveness!), Zuko also understood that Katara had needed to take this jounrey and discover the aspects of forgiveness and revenger by herself. That's why I feel like Zuko understands her in a way nobody else could. I don't think Zuko is afraid of emotional closure, not at this point and I don't really think ever. He's not afraid of it and knows that Katara needs it, he accepts her dark side when nobody really did.

Whenever Zuko would be troubled, Katara would seek to comfort him and talk to him - Zuko would cut her off, and turn away. I think, in the end, that would really, really hurt her, and annoy Zuko to no end.

I think they both realise this, and that's why they find the idea of them as a couple so unappealing, as they clearly does.

I actually don't think Zuko would cut her off. In a part of Sozin's Comet, actually, when he was sitting in front of his uncle's tent, he didn't turn away from her. She was really one of the only ones he could open up to, especially after being cut off himself by Mai on the boat (I love Mai and Maiko too, don't think I'm bashing <3). She is the one that aids him and comforts him, that gives him the strength to go inside. He didn't cut her off and she actually gave him the help he needed.

People obviously see things differently because humans have their own minds and opinions, but that is why I believe they have potential to be in a romantic relationship that works. They understand each other and they just somehow fit and, to me, I can't see them as anything other than that. Obviously it's not canon and I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying how I view it (:

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 10:30:56 AM »
There is nothing wrong or right about the points from bother boys, but in the end STR was about Katara, not them. She needed a catharsis and while she couldn't kill Yon Rha, she couldn't forgive him either. She needed to face her fears, her guilt and her anger and resentment, and, in the end, she realized this was a journey of understanding. The actual person she needed to confront and forgive was herself, and in the end it allowed her to forgive Zuko.

^^Amen.  This is an episode that should be all about Katara, but the fandom blew it up into this big Zuko vs. Aang showdown of destiny, somehow.
Although I would like to point out that that right there? What you said? Was basically exactly what Aang told her. "This is a journey you need to take. You need to face this man."

That said...

The #2 reason I will never, ever be able to ship Zutara as anything other than a legendary friend!ship (the #1 reason of course being... well... Aang) is pretty simple, really.  Both of them are shown to be visibly- and viscerally- disgusted by the idea. On more than one occasion.

In EIP, Zuko gets the exact same horrified look on his face during the Zutara scene as he did during the scene portraying the Blue Spirit rescuing femme!Aang that had all the... subtext...  Like, it was this absolutely epic "DO NOT WANT" look. And that was also his reaction to the entire concept of Zutara. If someone is that disgusted/disturbed by the idea of a relationship, I'm not gonna try to force it on him.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 01:04:18 AM »
I must be kinda strange. I don't necessarily ship Zutara in thinking they would've worked in the show, but I just like it in fanon I guess.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.