Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood  (Read 12954 times)

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
« on: November 13, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »

I figured since this is one of the more popular animes, that it should be one of the first to get a discussion thread.

So, this is a place to discuss anything about either the original anime or Brotherhood or both if you'd like. Which do you like better? Who's your favorite character(s) and why? What about the anime do you like the most? And etc.

Discuss away!

~Set by me~

Online Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
Re: Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 12:43:22 AM »
Anyone who watches anime would watch Brotherhood.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 12:57:48 AM »
Don't you mean "should"?

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Online Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 01:42:05 AM »
WHAT IS UP WITH MY IPAD TODAY
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 01:46:27 AM »
IT'S POSSESSED!!! O____O

Online Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 01:57:59 AM »
Just blame Father. For all the things.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »
Of course, he's the fault of everything. The weather, natural disasters, pencil lead breaking. He's just that evil.

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 03:44:45 AM »
Actually, I'd say both "would" and "should" are probably good answers.

Speaking of both, the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise has two stories. The 2003 anime adaptation, and of course Awakawa's own original vision, known to many as the manga, Brotherhood anime, or, via both, the Mangahood. To me, the 2003 anime was a good adaptation with a compelling story, but in the end the Mangahood story just gels much better IMO. Between the character development for a lot of the main players, the ultimate scope and scale of storyline implications, ending satisfaction value, and the things that happened in similar ways but different packages through both canons, the Mangahood story feels like an easy candidate for the most mature, heartbending, and absolutely epic tale in anime/manga history, whereas the '03 anime, while with its own merits, was really just a good-but-not-great anime.

Also…

Of course, he's the fault of everything. The weather, natural disasters, pencil lead breaking. He's just that evil.

Why not? He is practically the devil.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SD’s Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:49:35 AM »
Actually, I'd say both "would" and "should" are probably good answers.

Speaking of both, the Fullmetal Alchemist franchise has two stories. The 2003 anime adaptation, and of course Awakawa's own original vision, known to many as the manga, Brotherhood anime, or, via both, the Mangahood. To me, the 2003 anime was a good adaptation with a compelling story, but in the end the Mangahood story just gels much better IMO. Between the character development for a lot of the main players, the ultimate scope and scale of storyline implications, ending satisfaction value, and the things that happened in similar ways but different packages through both canons, the Mangahood story feels like an easy candidate for the most mature, heartbending, and absolutely epic tale in anime/manga history, whereas the '03 anime, while with its own merits, was really just a good-but-not-great anime.

Also…

Why not? He is practically the devil.

Yeah, that' my thoughts almost exactly. I do love the 2003 version, I mean it's what got me into anime in the first place. I owe a lot to it. But Brotherhood is on a whole different level. I've watched a lot of anime, but nothing has quite topped it in my opinion. Some have come close though.

Offline Fourtune

• Round 2!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 05:08:21 AM »
I can just say, though, that one other good thing about both stories existing -- plenty of characters exclusive to one version that you could adapt into a sequel fic for the other if you want to include new players but don't feel comfortable making an outright OC.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SD’s Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 05:20:57 AM »
I've only watched Brotherhood. It was good, solid 8/10 work for me.

Offline WinterStar

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 9
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 01:31:21 PM »
I've watched both versions and I think I prefer Brotherhood. The 2003 version had a great story, and music and a lot of other things, but to me Brotherhood felt more... epic? It had more action, and it showed better how the philosopher's stone affected Amestris' history and the lives of so many people, it showed a bigger picture than the characters alone. And the characters were portrayed in a better way, in my opinion. But I love them both, anyway :D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:33:01 PM by WinterStar »

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »
I have a couple of series on my to watch list. When I'm done with Tonari no kaibutsu and little busters, I've got hanbun no tsuki ga nozoru (I believe that's the title; I'm 2/6 eps in so nbd), then planning to watch ao no exorcist and then FMA and FMA:B.

Question to those who have seen both: which do I watch first for chronological correctness?

Offline Fourtune

• Round 2!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »
Take your pick and enjoy. They're two different stories which diverge after a certain point, not part of the same timeline.

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:31:05 PM »
I'm not a big anime watcher, but I love Brotherhood to pieces. I want to give the 2003 series a watch at some point, but I've heard it's not as good as FMA:B...do ya'll think it's still worth taking a look at?
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 46
    • DA
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 04:45:03 PM »
If you're wondering which to watch first... -ponder-

Okay, FMA actually has little tidbits that they didn't put in Brotherhood because it would be repetitive, and then they make vague often for laugh references to these things in Bro. Like Yoki. Yes :l

But for the most part, when it comes to canon-canon, go with Brotherhood. It follows the Manga to the T.
FMA got about halfway through anime and then didn't have any more material because the manga wasn't done yet, that's why it goes in such a different direction, they were given creative freedom to wing it. It's interesting to watch, but not the best.

Brotherhood also has this major cast of characters that, without their presence, FMA feels so.. empty.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 05:49:58 PM »
I'm not a big anime watcher, but I love Brotherhood to pieces. I want to give the 2003 series a watch at some point, but I've heard it's not as good as FMA:B...do ya'll think it's still worth taking a look at?

I've heard both to be honest. There are people who say that FMA is superior to Brotherhood. A friend actually thinks that Brotherhood was just garbage because it catered the manga which he described as too shounen-esque for his tastes and it just became more of a battle anime than something he found entertaining. Another friend of mine thinks along similar lines but thinks that Brotherhood is solid, but the 2003 production was far superior for its darker elements and better characters.

You obviously have the flip side with many people here saying that Brotherhood is far superior to the original 2003 version for a plethora of reasons.

Honestly, if I watched one, I wouldn't really bother watching the other, simply because I never thought that Fullmetal Alchemist had much rewatch value anyway, and watching another retake just to watch the same first half and a deviation around the middle would be too repetitive for my liking, and I'd rather spend my time watching stuff that I think is just straight up better.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:31:02 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:20:28 AM »
Too shounen like? How many shounen series has this guy even watched?

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:29:09 AM »
Too shounen like? How many shounen series has this guy even watched?

I mean, FMA:B is pretty much just a shounen show done right, but to the question, I think he's watched/read enough stuff for him to make his evaluation. I might have mispoken his words when saying he thinks it's too "shounen-like" but on the whole he just thinks Brotherhood is bad and is vastly underwhelming compared to other things he's watched (sorry scratch that, he never watched 2003, nor is he probably interested).

Keep in mind his tastes though are vastly different from everyone here, including myself, but I think the point stands that there are a good amount of people that consider the 2003 anime either better or vastly superior to Brotherhood for one reason or another.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:34:53 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 04:09:24 AM »
I agree. It is a shounen basically done right. It's just that "shounen-like" to most people are probably series like Naruto or Bleach, which frankly are  just "battle manga". And I can't see FMA like those two much at all. But what do I know? I mainly stick to Shounen romance series anyways. XD

That's alright, I may not understand why people like the 2003 version more, but everyone has different opinions.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.