Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Anime and Manga Recommendations  (Read 9603 times)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Anime and Manga Recommendations
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 08:20:06 PM »
Agreed, though the arcs with the Arrancar were pretty cool.

I think when it comes to action shounen, I'll stick with Magi. It actually has a plot.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline tsu

• that's the right answer, alchemist!
  • Trainer tsu / Task Force
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 23
  • you've beaten me. take it—take it all!
    • tumblr
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 10:52:11 PM »
Guy's Elitist Recommendations
#2: Texhnolyze

Last time we looked at the Tatami Galaxy, a fast paced anime with a main character that talks so fast you’d think he was trained to spread in policy debate. This time, we’re going to be looking at one of the slowest animes that I’ve ever watched, with a main character that wheezes and groans more than he talks. And yet, it now ranks among one of my favorite anime. This, is Texhnolyze.

this actually looks really interesting--probably going to give it a try either tonight or sometime tomorrow

super cool secret santa gift (click to show/hide)

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2013, 01:12:46 AM »
Enjoy! Don't let the trippy acid opening fool you, though: this anime is incredibly slow.

Offline The Banished Prince

• Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 53
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:47 AM »

Yeah, I liked what I've seen from there. But I ha to skip that entire long filler arc with the vampires just to get to it.

Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty and become wind.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »

Yeah, I liked what I've seen from there. But I ha to skip that entire long filler arc with the vampires just to get to it.

Yeah, I skipped it as well. Not worth watching all that crap when I wanted to see the arrancar arc instead.

Offline tsu

• Round 1!
    • tumblr
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 03:47:04 AM »
Enjoy! Don't let the trippy acid opening fool you, though: this anime is incredibly slow.
just finished marathoning it, and it was really great--the slow pace definitely worked well with it, too

for a while i was reallllllly worried it was going to be one of those series that would introduce a bunch of ~*~important~*~ terms and concepts and then end without ever getting around to explaining any of it though, so i was glad that wasn't the case haha

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 05:18:20 AM »
just finished marathoning it, and it was really great--the slow pace definitely worked well with it, too

for a while i was reallllllly worried it was going to be one of those series that would introduce a bunch of ~*~important~*~ terms and concepts and then end without ever getting around to explaining any of it though, so i was glad that wasn't the case haha

You....marathoned it? Congratulations. It took me forever to get past episode one.

I personally consider Texhnolyze one of the best anime ever made, if not #2 in my book (behind Mushishi). Incredibly rewarding anime and is one of the few anime things that I would use the words deep, mature, and intelligent to describe it (and I hate using such vague terminology without backing it up). I'm glad you liked it. ^^

Edit: Speaking of which do you have a MAL? o_O
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:28:05 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline tsu

• Round 1!
    • tumblr
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
haha yeah, i usually do that if i have the time and nothing better to do. i'm sick atm, so all i've really been doing the past few days is stay in bed and watch tv as it is lol

anyway, i'm definitely really glad you recommended it here because it was well worth the watch.

and yes, i do!

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »
haha yeah, i usually do that if i have the time and nothing better to do. i'm sick atm, so all i've really been doing the past few days is stay in bed and watch tv as it is lol

anyway, i'm definitely really glad you recommended it here because it was well worth the watch.

and yes, i do!

Oh sweet, I'm Zergneedsfood on MAL. I just sent you a request. :P

Get better soon!

Offline tsu

• Round 1!
    • tumblr
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 09:09:50 PM »
oh oops, i had it set to ignore all of those so i don't think it went through, so i just sent you one haha. and thanks!

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »
What's the Lupin the Third series like? I've seen the Miyazaki film and its a blast. Its like Tintin with more reckless driving.

Offline Lex

• The Guru
  • Airbending Guru
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 40
  • I'm a spy, and I don't care who knows it.
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2013, 04:31:20 PM »
Oh I love the Lupin series! Money, booze, women, scheming robberies...

And yet it's kind of goofy too.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 03:02:39 AM »
I've always wanted to watch the Lupin series. Looks like a lot of fun.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 01:21:33 PM »
Just a short recommendation this time.

If you want to see how a real high school drama/romance is done, watch this.

Offline Noodles Aang Colbert

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 136
  • Wonder what kind of cupcakes they like?
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 07:55:33 PM »
Just finished watching Shinsekai Yori.  I'm not sure that I could really write a better review than the one I will post a link to.  It's my review.  Some people dumped the series in the first month, but really missed when the series gets rolling.  The only complaints have been that there is some predictability, but that stems from the series referring to the 21st century as the time of the ancients.  Perhaps one of the most intriguing things about the series is that there is no good vs. evil but more or less evil vs. evil.  Both humans the Queerats believe they are right and both sides have good and evil qualities.  If you watch the series straight through you can pick up on the hints that are given about various things.  However  you do not want to be spoiled then perhaps you should not read the review.

Here is the link to a great review:
http://hitsuji-shitsuji.tumblr.com/post/46149845061/the-themes-of-shinsekai-yori-and-why-bakenezumi-are
If you want my Facebook, Tumblr, or Twitter contact just ask! :D

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »
A short recommendation. Every year, the Japanese government's Cultural Agency gives money to four different amateur animator groups to give them the opportunity to make a one shot anime. Most of them are pretty lousy on meh, but every once in a while, little gems pop up that are pretty worth looking into. In this case, I recommend you guys check out Death Billiards:

You can find more information about it here. It's currently occupying the slot for best anime this season thus far, especially considering that outside two or maybe three shows this season looks to be as lousy as any other in the last few.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:01 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the info, I've never heard of this before. I haven't been keeping up on anime lately.

Offline Light-Eco-Sage

• Addicted To Kataang!
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 25
    • Sage's Twitter
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2013, 03:38:31 AM »
I don't think anyone's mentioned "Sword Art Online". (If they have, apologizes.) I really enjoyed this anime. Normally, I keep away from animes that are just subbed. (I don't have anything against subbed anime. But when I watch an anime series, especially an action one, I want to watch the action instead of being stuck reading subtitles.) But this one looked too good for me to wait, and I was not disappointed.

The story revolves around main character Kirito, a young gamer who is one of the first to test out the new virtual reality game Sword Art Online. However, it is only when the game is released to the general public and thousands of people log in to play that it is revealed by the game creator that there is no way to log back out of the game and they will be trapped inside until they are able to beat the game. It is also revealed that if they die inside the game, their VR headgear will fry the user's brain and kill them in real life.

Some people don't like the second season as much as the first season, but I liked the second season just fine. That's my opinion.

Here's the opening.

My second recommendation is both an anime and a manga, and I'd recommend both to experience the whole story. And that story is Inuyasha.

The story revolves around the titular Inuyasha, a boy who is half human and half dog demon living in Japan's feudal era; and a young school girl named Kagome Higurashi who discovers on her fifteenth birthday that she has the ability to travel back through time through an old well on her family's shrine grounds. Once she goes back to the Feudal era, she discovers that she was born with a jewel known as the Shikon jewel inside her body. The Shikon jewel has the power to make demons more powerful and to grant wishes, and Inuyasha covets the jewel desperately in order to transform himself into a full demon. It is not long into the story that Kagome accidentally shatters the jewel into a thousand pieces, scattering the pieces all over Feudal Japan. Suddenly, Inuyasha and Kagome are being forced to work together in order to find and rebuild the jewel. And soon learn that a force more diabolical than any other is after the jewel as well.

The anime and the manga are both amazing. The first anime ran for seven seasons before it got discontinued due to the fact that it caught up with the manga. But, recently the anime was completed under the title of "Inuyasha: The Final Act", which finishes up the story.

The original anime does have its share of filler, while Final Act goes in the exact opposite direction. Because they were trying get the story finished, instead of adding filler, it actually removed much of the 'manga filler'. There are whole manga arcs that are barely glossed over.

That's why I recommend both.

Romance Spoilers:
(click to show/hide)Do both, especially if you find yourself shipping Inuyasha and Kagome together. The manga has many InuKag moments that were removed in the anime. But the anime has something that the manga doesn't: an InuKag kiss. And it's worth it for those, like me, who adore InuKag.

Highly recommended.

Here's the first Opening:

A:TLA Keeps:
Aang's Confession of Love in "The Guru"
Aang's Imaginary Wind-Sword in "Sokka's Master"
Aang's Chakras
Aang's Scars
Kataang Sexytimes
TLoK Keeps
Adult!Aang's Handsomeness
Jinora's Personality
Lin's Epic Way of Getting Dressed

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2013, 05:58:49 AM »
No. 6. Like seriously, it's amazing. Go watch it or read the manga, or even the novel! The novel is fantastic! *nod nod* :D

~Set by me~

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 12:57:29 PM »
Please watch Planetes. It's about garbage men in space.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.