Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Anime and Manga Recommendations  (Read 9603 times)

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
Re: Anime and Manga Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 06:29:52 PM »
Guy's Elitist Recommendations
#2: Texhnolyze

Last time we looked at the Tatami Galaxy, a fast paced anime with a main character that talks so fast youíd think he was trained to spread in policy debate. This time, weíre going to be looking at one of the slowest animes that Iíve ever watched, with a main character that wheezes and groans more than he talks. And yet, it now ranks among one of my favorite anime. This, is Texhnolyze.

Iíd like to make, like I do with all reviews, a situational disclaimer by saying that if youíre the type that doesnít have the attention span to sit down and watch a really slow paced show, then while I highly encourage you to still give Texhnolyze a try, it might be a struggle for you to see why Iím going to be filling this review with high praise.

This is also a rather mature anime, so if you canít handle a show where you have to sit down and think about for a while, you might want to turn away as well. Itís dark, provocative, and doesnít shy away from excessive and cruel imagery to get its point across. At its very soul, Texhnolyze touches on some of the darkest aspects of humanity, and it does so in a very blatant fashion with mentions of incest, rape, drug abuse, pedophilia, and excessive violence and meaningless blood shed.

Texhnolyze (pronounced Tech-no-lyze) is set in the far future, where a group of humans exiled from the surface world populate a massive underground city named Lux, where they mine a substance known as Raffia, a term to designate some form of biological residue left by dead humans. Raffia is an integral part of Texhnolyzation, the ability to attach lost arms and legs onto humans without having the body reject the new body parts. The main character of the story, an orphan prize fighter by the name of Ichise, loses both an arm and a leg in settling a  dispute and is Texhnolyzed against his will. Forced to accept a series of unfortunate circumstances that follow, Ichise is thrust into whatís slowly becoming a fight for power in the city of Lux, and a fight to find out his destiny, with the occasional guidance from a mysterious seer named Ran.

This story is powered by a cast of very interesting and well developed characters. While the main characters, Ichise and Ran, were interesting to watch (and Ichiseís personal transformation as a human being was an absolutely amazing piece of storytelling), without doubt the best characters in the story are the supporting cast. You have the incorruptible Onishi, head of the Organo, the largest political organization in Lux, who stands as almost a moral compass in the show with his straightforward logic and determination to do whatever he can to prevent disaster. Then thereís Yoshii, a wandering traveler from the world above with ambitions perhaps larger than Lux itself and a brain capable of seeing that ambition come true. Each character presented are given their own set of philosophies, personal motivations, and reasons for living. If anything else, Texhnolyze just has a bunch of characters that act and look like badasses.

But I think my summary doesnít even begin to scratch the surface of whatís happening in Texhnolyze, and I think that stands as a testament to how good the story is. From the lingering question of what happened to the humans above the surface, to the fragile peace built between three major organizations in the city thatís reaching its breaking point, to the elusive nature of the people of Gabe, who follow the words of their prophet to the letter, Texhnolyze loads a lot of content into its twenty two episodes. And while the pacing of this show is incredibly slow, what Texhnolyze does well in its albeit elongated exposition is its fantastic world building, foreshadowing, and developing a mood that culminates in a very intense experience once the speed of the show starts picking up. Itís a suspenseful and gripping feeling, one that leaves you aching for every new development of characters, every new mystery of the city of Lux uncovered, and the next moment where the subtle peace thatís built over the course of a few episodes is shattered in one magnificent revelation.

At the end of the day, Texhnolyze is an in depth look at our humanity. On the surface, one might think that Texhnolyze has just a simple dark point to make about us. That, in a world of technology, weíve forgotten how to live. That we use technology as a means of killing one another rather than a means of reconstructing bonds. We deceive and betray for nothing more than personal enjoyment and indulgence and reduced to our raw elements, we are like Ichise, a brutal killing machine that will explode at the first feeling of anger. And most of all, that weíre people bound by a fate that inevitably leads to destruction and utter madness, and nothing can be done to change it.

But thereís more to that. True, we may be dark creatures at heart, but whatís more important than anything, is that weíre living. Life is a twisted struggle for survival for the people of Lux, and while there may be outside forces completely out of their control that predetermines their fate, all they can do is live. Whether that be sacrificing others for their own well being, or watching a city destroy itself for oneís own enjoyment, humans are only pursuing a way to live, a way to feel alive in a world so dead and broken beneath the earth. And while our cruel fate may have been predetermined by destiny and prophets, we have the ultimate control of how we pursue that destiny and how we fulfill that fate. We make choices, and in these choices, we become alive and more human than we ever were before.

Texhnolyze is a powerful anime that is rewarding in its experience and story, and to this date I have yet to see an anime that has so shocked me as the credits rolled down the screen. I would highly recommend this anime to anyone who is willing to give it a chance. Itís something inhumane and beautiful.

Offline Noodles Aang Colbert

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 136
  • Wonder what kind of cupcakes they like?
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 09:35:58 PM »
I hear of acclamations for Mushishi.  Has anyone watched it and how low/high of a recommendation would you give it?
If you want my Facebook, Tumblr, or Twitter contact just ask! :D

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »
I hear of acclamations for Mushishi.  Has anyone watched it and how low/high of a recommendation would you give it?

Masterpiece of an anime. Deep, mature, with really great slice of life/supernatural/fantasy stories. It's episodic, so anyone who can't appreciate those might not be very used to it, though. Character development kind of doesn't exist, but the main character is interesting and what's more important than the characters are the stories and meaning derived from it. I personally ranked it 10/10, higher than any anime I've watched, and only one of two 10s I've ever given an anime.

Everyone who I know and think has good tastes in anime has given it either a 9 or a 10 (a few 8s here and there, but their 8s, I have high respect for). It's currently ranked within the top 20 on MAL.

So, in other words, anyone interested in a spiritual/supernatural show with beautiful stories and themes should watch Mushishi.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 06:02:23 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Noodles Aang Colbert

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 136
  • Wonder what kind of cupcakes they like?
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »
Much thanks for the review!  :)
If you want my Facebook, Tumblr, or Twitter contact just ask! :D

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 05:50:18 AM »

Masterpiece of an anime. Deep, mature, with really great slice of life/supernatural/fantasy stories. It's episodic, so anyone who can't appreciate those might not be very used to it, though. Character development kind of doesn't exist, but the main character is interesting and what's more important than the characters are the stories and meaning derived from it. I personally ranked it 10/10, higher than any anime I've watched, and only one of two 10s I've ever given an anime.

Everyone who I know and think has good tastes in anime has given it either a 9 or a 10 (a few 8s here and there, but their 8s, I have high respect for). It's currently ranked within the top 20 on MAL.

So, in other words, anyone interested in a spiritual/supernatural show with beautiful stories and themes should watch Mushishi.

Yep, it's #19.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 06:26:40 PM »
Been reading a lot of stuff recently, so I thought I'd compile a list of some of my favorite mangas/LNs/etc.

Yotsubato

From the guy who created Azumanga Daioh, this is a pretty funny manga about a little girl with green hair (pretty sure if you've browsed the Internet enough you've seen either her or her infamous 4 leaf clover (4chan) around. They recently updated a few chapters too. It's pretty much a collection of short humorous sketches, so if you're into that kind of stuff, this will suit you well.

Tonari no Seki kun

A relatively unknown little gem out there. It's about a guy (Seki-Kun) who spends his time in class performing random funny skits and feats. His classmate Yokoi, who sits next to him, always gets up caught up in these acts, be it games with Shougi, origami, and more! It's a lot of fun, they're short, and it's one of my favorite past times when they update.

Onepunch man

Going along with the humor manga, onepunch man follows the story of an every day unemployed loser who one days decides to train himself to become a super hero. After three years of intensive training, he's become a superhero...who wins his fights in one punch! Now, he's lazy and tired and finds no joy in life because all his fights are won way too quickly. An interesting parody on shounen with beautiful art, this one is highly recommended.

Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan

This one might be a turn off if you don't like characters doing a lot of really stupid things, but I thought this was pretty hilarious. It's about a group of delinquents who head the student council of an otherwise normal school filled with presumably high profile students. A great read if you're into reading about delinquents who do dumb and funny things.

Aqua

Veering away from humor, if you're down for some relaxation and slice of life, I don't think there's going to be a lot of things more suitable to you than Aqua (and its sequel Aria). Aqua takes place on the planet formerly known as Mars (now called Aqua) and followed the story of a girl named Akari who wants to become an Undine, someone who rows gondolas and takes around customers for sightseeing around the beautiful city of Neo-Venezia. This story is incredibly relaxing and one of the best slice of life pieces out there.

Mushishi

I'd recommend both the anime and the manga for this one. This is a stellar supernatural/fantasy tale about a man named Ginko who roams around the land searching for the mysterious Mushi, organisms with strange properties and abilities that are either wondrous and beautiful to see or bring great misfortune and tragedy. It's a surreal experience with beautiful artwork and a nice philosophical backdrop to boot. One of my favorite mangas.

Hoshi no Samidare

I'm not a big fan of shounen, and I probably will never be, but Hoshi no Samidare is probably my favorite shounen and one of my favorite mangas that I've read so far (to make it clear, I haven't read a lot). It's a world where twelve people with powerful magical beasts to assist them, aid a princess in preventing the world from being destroyed by a massive hammer in the sky. However, unknowing to them, the princess is also bent on destroying the world...just after she destroys the hammer! A very nice story and while it doesn't have as large a universe as FMA, as far as characters and story goes, Hoshi no Samidaer, or Lucifer's Biscuit Hammer, beats it by a few miles at least.

Edit: I forgot about LNs. Oops.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:28:25 PM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Huzzahfortimelines

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 10
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 06:41:27 PM »
...Well then. Let's starting fanboying. :P

Kara No Kyoukai

Kara no Kyoukai is hard to explain in words. If it would be defined by genre, you could call it a 'psychological detective supernatural horror thriller romance'. Kara no Kyoukai is the story of a girl named Shiki, who works for a supernatural detective, and solves several murders that have a very supernatural flair to them. It has some pretty deep social, and spiritual issues embedded in it. With spiritual issues like: "What is existence", and social issues like drugs, suicide, and rape. Do note that this is a mature anime, and deals with some pretty heavy issues. And not everything is hinted at. There's a lot of gore, and even some incredibly heavy scenes (especially in the third movie), so if you're younger than 16, I advice you not to watch it.

Like... a Great Wind! A Great Biotic Wind ...Fear Me!

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 06:52:04 PM »
Movies 1-4 and 7 were alright. 8 was good. 6 was pretty meh, and the epilogue was also meh. I'm looking forward to Mirai Fukuin, but no clue when that's coming out.

Overall, a nice solid set of movies. Ufotable put a lot of work into the animation and Yuki Kajiura did some decent tracks + Kalafina voices were a great addition. You basically watch it for Shiki and Touko, so as long as you like those two you're going to get along with the movies just fine.

Also, it's not that mature. The Nasuverse has its attempts but its attempts at adding deeper meaning is undermined by story and a convoluted universe, though that doesn't stop most of its works from being relatively good in their respect mediums. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:56:18 PM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Huzzahfortimelines

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 10
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 01:34:39 AM »
Movies 1-4 and 7 were alright. 8 was good. 6 was pretty meh, and the epilogue was also meh. I'm looking forward to Mirai Fukuin, but no clue when that's coming out.

Overall, a nice solid set of movies. Ufotable put a lot of work into the animation and Yuki Kajiura did some decent tracks + Kalafina voices were a great addition. You basically watch it for Shiki and Touko, so as long as you like those two you're going to get along with the movies just fine.

Also, it's not that mature. The Nasuverse has its attempts but its attempts at adding deeper meaning is undermined by story and a convoluted universe, though that doesn't stop most of its works from being relatively good in their respect mediums. 
I would have to disagree with the maturity part, mainly because, while there is some gore in there, there are some scenes that are pretty shocking. (example, the opening scene in the third movie, and the "saliva" scene in the 7th."

Like... a Great Wind! A Great Biotic Wind ...Fear Me!

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »
Tiger and Bunny

The series takes place in "NC 1978" in a fictional, re-imagined version of New York City called Sternbild City, where 45 years before, superpowered individuals known as "NEXT" started appearing and some of them became superheroes. Each of the city's most famous superheroes work for a sponsor company and their uniforms also contain advertising for real-life companies. Their heroic activity is broadcast on the popular television show "Hero TV", where they accumulate points for each heroic feat accomplished (arresting criminals or saving civilians, for example) and the best ranked hero of the season is crowned "King of Heroes".
The story mainly focuses on veteran hero Kotetsu T. Kaburagi aka Wild Tiger who is assigned a new partner, a young man named Barnaby Brooks Jr. However, Barnaby and Kotetsu usually have trouble working together as they have conflicting opinions on how a superhero should act while at the same time trying to crack the mystery of the murder of Barnaby's parents. In addition, the appearance of a homicidal vigilante NEXT named "Lunatic" stirs up the public and makes them question the meaning of heroes.

Seriously, what's not to like about this anime? It has superheroes! And it is a really great watch, btw. 100% Recommend. :3
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:32:29 AM by quidditchchick »

~Set by me~

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2013, 07:43:48 AM »
Been reading a lot of stuff recently, so I thought I'd compile a list of some of my favorite mangas/LNs/etc.

Yotsubato

From the guy who created Azumanga Daioh, this is a pretty funny manga about a little girl with green hair (pretty sure if you've browsed the Internet enough you've seen either her or her infamous 4 leaf clover (4chan) around. They recently updated a few chapters too. It's pretty much a collection of short humorous sketches, so if you're into that kind of stuff, this will suit you well.

Tonari no Seki kun

A relatively unknown little gem out there. It's about a guy (Seki-Kun) who spends his time in class performing random funny skits and feats. His classmate Yokoi, who sits next to him, always gets up caught up in these acts, be it games with Shougi, origami, and more! It's a lot of fun, they're short, and it's one of my favorite past times when they update.

Onepunch man

Going along with the humor manga, onepunch man follows the story of an every day unemployed loser who one days decides to train himself to become a super hero. After three years of intensive training, he's become a superhero...who wins his fights in one punch! Now, he's lazy and tired and finds no joy in life because all his fights are won way too quickly. An interesting parody on shounen with beautiful art, this one is highly recommended.

Yankee-kun to Megane-Chan

This one might be a turn off if you don't like characters doing a lot of really stupid things, but I thought this was pretty hilarious. It's about a group of delinquents who head the student council of an otherwise normal school filled with presumably high profile students. A great read if you're into reading about delinquents who do dumb and funny things.

Aqua

Veering away from humor, if you're down for some relaxation and slice of life, I don't think there's going to be a lot of things more suitable to you than Aqua (and its sequel Aria). Aqua takes place on the planet formerly known as Mars (now called Aqua) and followed the story of a girl named Akari who wants to become an Undine, someone who rows gondolas and takes around customers for sightseeing around the beautiful city of Neo-Venezia. This story is incredibly relaxing and one of the best slice of life pieces out there.

Mushishi

I'd recommend both the anime and the manga for this one. This is a stellar supernatural/fantasy tale about a man named Ginko who roams around the land searching for the mysterious Mushi, organisms with strange properties and abilities that are either wondrous and beautiful to see or bring great misfortune and tragedy. It's a surreal experience with beautiful artwork and a nice philosophical backdrop to boot. One of my favorite mangas.

Hoshi no Samidare

I'm not a big fan of shounen, and I probably will never be, but Hoshi no Samidare is probably my favorite shounen and one of my favorite mangas that I've read so far (to make it clear, I haven't read a lot). It's a world where twelve people with powerful magical beasts to assist them, aid a princess in preventing the world from being destroyed by a massive hammer in the sky. However, unknowing to them, the princess is also bent on destroying the world...just after she destroys the hammer! A very nice story and while it doesn't have as large a universe as FMA, as far as characters and story goes, Hoshi no Samidaer, or Lucifer's Biscuit Hammer, beats it by a few miles at least.

Edit: I forgot about LNs. Oops.

Dude, I love you for some of these. Tonari no Seki kun is hilarious, I just got into it a couple months ago. It amuses me to no end.

If you like Yankee-Kun to Megane-Kun, you might like Yamada-Kun To 7-Nin No Majo, it's by the same author. I've been reading it since it started a few months ago and I really enjoy it.

Hoshi No Samidare. I have no words for this amazing series. I read it about a year ago and I was blown away by how good it was. I also recommend this highly.

I should start recommending some of my favorite mangas.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »

I would have to disagree with the maturity part, mainly because, while there is some gore in there, there are some scenes that are pretty shocking. (example, the opening scene in the third movie, and the "saliva" scene in the 7th."

Agreed, but when I say maturity I'm talking about it being more than just a simple story. I have quite a few Nasu friends outside this forum and it's sometimes hard for me to relate to their love of the franchise at times because I don't see anything that deep beyond the world Nasu creates.

@Fenix: Thanks I'll go check them  out!

@Quidditchchick: I've been meaning to check out Tiger & Bunny at some point in my life. >_> Thanks for reminding me!

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2013, 07:05:02 PM »
What movies are you guys talking about?

@Guy: Sweet! Have you thought about reading or watching Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic? You might like it. Actually I think a quite a few people on this site would like it.

I need to check out Tiger and Bunny as well.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2013, 07:14:32 PM »
What movies are you guys talking about?

@Guy: Sweet! Have you thought about reading or watching Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic? You might like it. Actually I think a quite a few people on this site would like it.

I need to check out Tiger and Bunny as well.

Garden of Sinners/Kara no Kyoukai

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2013, 07:39:33 PM »
That's what I thought. But you guys started talking about something called Nasu and I got all confused.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2013, 07:40:44 PM »
That's what I thought. But you guys started talking about something called Nasu and I got all confused.

Kinoko Nasu is the author of Garden of Sinners and has basically crafted the worlds of Tsukihime, Fate Stay/night, Kara no Kyoukai, etc. His world is basically called the "Nasuverse".

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
Oh!! That makes sense now. XD

Offline The Banished Prince

• Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 53
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
The animes I've liked:

Cowboy Bebop (far and away t best I've ever seen)
Lupin the III
Inu Yasha
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Alchemist

HotD started out amazingly but quickly turned into 20 mins of just fan service. Almost felt like a hentai.

Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty and become wind.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 07:52:32 PM »
The animes I've liked:

Cowboy Bebop (far and away t best I've ever seen)
Lupin the III
Inu Yasha
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Full Metal Alchemist

HotD started out amazingly but quickly turned into 20 mins of just fan service. Almost felt like a hentai.

Studio that made HotD was a hentai studio. :P

Offline The Banished Prince

• Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 53
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 08:01:17 PM »
Well, that makes sense.
<< Post Merge: January 06, 2013, 08:03:44 PM >>

Oh yeah, I loved DBZ back in the day.

Bleach started out strongly, but after the Soul Society arc it fell off hard.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:03:44 PM by Natural Born Chiller »

Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty and become wind.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.