Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Anime and Manga Recommendations  (Read 9620 times)

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
Anime and Manga Recommendations
« on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:23 AM »
Discuss and recommend anime to your fellow forum-goers!

Have a genre you like and want something new to watch or read? Ask here! Or just post about something you think anyone would like and elaborate why. Mature Anime and Manga recommendations can be found here!

Something I would recommend would be Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Fair warning, this anime will play with your emotions! If you don't cry at least once, you're not human. XD (okay, not quite, but you get the idea). The story is very well developed with amazing characters. It will hook you from episode 1. There's lots of lighthearted and shippy moments too, so it's not all darkness and drama, don't worry. I say it's a must see for all!

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:02:27 AM by WaterLady »

the doctor is out...

Offline Milliardo

• Gundam Pilot
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • On your grave...
Re: Anime and Manga Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43:33 PM »
I've always wanted to recommend here "Flame of Recca"; I guess many ATLA and LOK fans will relate to this anime. Here's the opening for Flame of Recca:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zIqJE8r2pQ&list=PL48AC8E235004C9EC&index=7&feature=plpp_video

Offline Noodles Aang Colbert

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 136
  • Wonder what kind of cupcakes they like?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:32:15 AM »
Let's see one of the best recent series is Steins; Gate really amazing series.  It involves time travel, comedy, romance, and science.  The lives of the characters (past/present/future) all play vital roles as more and more is revealed. 

"Steins;Gate is about a group of friends who have customized their microwave into a device that can send text messages to the past. As they perform different experiments, an organization named SERN, who has been doing their own research on time travel, tracks them down and now the characters have to find a way to avoid being captured by them." - My Anime List
If you want my Facebook, Tumblr, or Twitter contact just ask! :D

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:08 AM »
This is the most reliable Recommendation Chart that I know of, and I use it as a guideline whenever I don't have a show in particular on my mind.

It mixes a variety of good well known gateway anime along with other anime that might be interesting to people that favor a particular genre.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:34:31 AM »
Interesting, that's a nice chart. I think the only thing I disagree with is Gundam Seed. I don't know when this was made, but Gundam 00 is far superior to Seed, especially considering how bad Seed Destiny was. Though I guess they added the first Gundam to basically recommend the all the Gundam series in general.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Secrets

• feathered and lethal
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 73
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:02:11 AM »
Dragon Ball Z, for that action loving fan. There's a lot of filler, so if you don't want the filler, you can watch DBZ Kai. But the original is a classic. Also, Ouran High School Host Club is just amazing. It's funny, but there are also moments that really tug at your heart.

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:26 PM »
Charts are definitely awesome ideas and there are a lot of good series on there.  Sometimes I adventure into a random series and sometimes I want to know a bit about it before I start watching.  I've seen at least 1 series in each of those categories except the Moe category at least on that list. 

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 12:42:03 AM »
I can think of tons of series I could recommend, but it really depends on what people are into.

Offline Milliardo

• Gundam Pilot
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • On your grave...
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 12:49:16 PM »
Hhmm...guess I'll go back to Flame of Recca for the meantime. Actually, been thinking of Recca vs any Fire Bender, but I guess that's for another thread...

I guess most have already seen, or should have seen, Rurouni Kenshin. One of my favorites. I wouldn't mind repeating it again and again.

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 08:44:22 PM »
It's always good to rewatch stuff because you see new things each time.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
I can think of tons of series I could recommend, but it really depends on what people are into.

It honestly depends. I think general gateway anime are more important to introduce than a specific genre, because the way that anime approaches certain genres is just different aesthetically and stylistically then the way other animation studios/live action/other stuff approaches it.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 12:50:07 AM »

It honestly depends. I think general gateway anime are more important to introduce than a specific genre, because the way that anime approaches certain genres is just different aesthetically and stylistically then the way other animation studios/live action/other stuff approaches it.

That's a good point. I'm just not sure what animes are considered gateway anime.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 01:58:37 AM »

That's a good point. I'm just not sure what animes are considered gateway anime.

I think that's relatively easy to figure out. Most shows that end up getting a lot of decent western attention end up as decent picks.

So in this case, shows like Code Geass and Death Note are pretty good for example, not to mention action packed series that appeal to the western audience like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, FLCL, and Black Lagoon are good picks too.

The big three (OP/Bleach/Naruto) are decent gateway anime, and for other genres, you have things like Clannad, CLAMP works, and even Welcome to the NHK as gateway anime.

In other words, usually (not always but usually), if it's been dubbed and broadcasted outside of Japan, it's probably a good gateway show.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:03:04 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 02:11:09 AM »
Ah, I see your point.

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »
Recommendations are always semi difficult to come up with.  I think that as mentioned the more popular ones are a good solution.  Sometimes I like to pick some that are not the most popular yet not obscure either.  It really depends on the person.  I'm not revealing anything new with this comment either.   

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »
That's also a good. And maybe it's not so bad to throw in some anime that hasn't been dubbed yet. That way maybe fans can get used to subs.

Offline Espeon

• Formerly K14
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 34
  • Art not mine
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 03:55:12 AM »
for those of you looking to get into manga, personally i suggest +Anima. i think its a good manga for beginners to read lol

Espeon icons by Secrets

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 06:25:16 AM »
Recommendation #1

Clannad
&
Clannad ~ After Story
Clannad holds a special place in my heart. It has changed my life and helped form the person who I am significantly. It helped me understand the true meaning of family.

Clannad is the beautiful portrayal of finding your true family: who they are, what they do, how they comfort you, when they're there for you, etc. It is a story that can be applicable to anyone at any stage of life and in any circumstances, and the wonderful and beautiful story of true family is told is a splendid pack of two series: Clannad and it's sequel, Clannad: After Story. Between these two series and roughly 45 episodes, the main characters grow up together and learn about each other, going through family life, high school, entering society, and beyond.

The characters are the most lovable characters I know. I truly believe in my heart that the story of Clannad is the best story told in any form of media or storytelling to date and cannot and will not be surpassed in magnitude of how strongly it effects one. Clannad can be classified as a series that will take your heart and pamper it, tending to all it's needs, and then when you're expecting it least, it RIPS it out. Next, the story puts your heart through a paper shredder, then melts the shreds in a pot into a mixture, then freezes it into a puddle of iced heart. Later, it grates the heartcicle in a cheese grater, throwing the strings of heart into the fire to be burned to ashes, then scooped into a pan and tossed in the garbage. Then on trash night your heart's ashes will be thrown on the cold curb over night and then thrown in the back of the garbage truck, and crushed and compacted until finally dumped in a landfill where they will bake in the hot sun forever.

And then Clannad puts your heart back in in a new and fresh way that repairs all hurts and pains and makes it even healthier than normal. <3

Clannad is a beautiful romantic comedy/drama that incorporates phenomenal characters, wit, comedy, drama, emotion, and story available. It fits almost all categories and genres and there is a bit of it all mixed in (yes, even sci-fi). I learned so much from it, and recommend that everyone watches it.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 04:47:42 AM »
I have a list of more obscure (relatively speaking given the amount of anime watched by people on this forum) anime that I have backed up and want to recommend to people. I'll probably write one of these a week.

Quick disclaimer: These are not anime for everyone, but these recommendations are given to show a different side of anime, one that betrays the stereotype that most people think of when they hear the term "anime". I will probably exclusively recommend shows I think are 9s or 10s, and occasionally the satisfactory 8.

Guy's Elitist Recommendations
#1: The Tatami Galaxy

Quick disclaimer #2: There are only subs for this anime. The subs go by incredibly fast because the narrator speaks faster than any narrator you will probably come across in this visual medium. If you are the type that cannot read fast, then I recommend you do not watch this anime for the sake of you watching the entire thing without understanding a thing.

The Tatami Galaxy is a refreshing story that’s bold in its premise and succeeds in its execution. While not necessarily a story that left me in awe over its intellectual depth as deep as The Japan Trench, it definitely has some important things to offer, and past all the volumes of texts that might turn off people who don't know how to read quickly past the extremely fast subtitles, I think there’s a lot of really well done things to consider about this show. And while some may complain that the show tries to come off as elitist, and at times bombastic and overly complicated, I think people are missing the point if that’s what the show seemed to convey to them.

The story of Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei is very simple. We’re introduced to a nameless main character who seeks the perfect college campus life. The episodes follows him on a two year journey of his exploits, where he chooses different clubs and societies in an attempt to gain higher social standing, a beautiful girlfriend, or just recognition of his talents. These escapades usually end in failure, no thanks to a mischievous friend named Ozu. At the end of each episode, as the main character is reminiscing on how things might have been so much better had he not taken the steps that he did, an unexplained plot device spins him back to the beginning of his college years, and the cycle continues.

The style of the show is what makes the show visually appealing and inviting. It’s a very vibrant world, and the main character’s rather mundane and normal appearance creates a very stark contrast between him and an otherwise colorful world, which I thought fit in quite nicely with everything the show was trying to express. The very smooth animations and unique character designs, coupled with scenes that sometimes just look like a series of different geometric shapes flying in a million different directions makes this show a very art heavy piece, and I think that works to its benefit. Without saying anything about its content, characters, or even sound, the Tatami Galaxy is a very pretty show.

As far as the characters, I think that’s a strong part of the show as well. It’s a very dynamic cast, filled with people that go beyond the initial archetypes that were cast on them. The deviant friend, Ozu, is more than just the troublemaker bent on destroying the life of the main character, and might have a few secrets of his own. Akashi, the cold and abrasive female lead, has a few quirks that makes her interactions with the main character enjoyable, and while she receives probably the least amount of attention, her presence usually gives the audience a moment of clarity and logic that the rest of the show sometimes neglects. Even supporting characters like the handsome charmer Jougasaki and the self proclaimed deity Higuchi all go beyond their initial stereotypical roles and become people with dreams, aspirations, and personal flares that make them more human and lively in the story. In other words, the characters in this story feel more like humans, rather than labels you can attach to characters and identify as a specific trope or another. That allows people to connect with the story more, even when the characters might not have the most innocent of dispositions.

But past the speeding text and humor, the real focus of the Tatami Galaxy is to highlight a specific portion of our lives and to illuminate all the different possibilities that can arise from such an important period. All its supposedly “smart” insights and musings come secondary to what some might consider a nostalgic experience, and to others an ongoing process. And to that extent, I think the Tatami Galaxy succeeds in its efforts to display a time that may be difficult for a lot of people. It’s not hard to sit in the main character’s shoes and think that while other people are off having successful adventures in college, you’re the only that seems to be left behind the crowd, nor is it hard to imagine back to one’s college years and think what could have done better to maybe change one’s life around or at the very least not ended up like this:

These are the questions that the Tatami Galaxy asks. It doesn’t necessarily try to probe at some greater questions of life or delve deep into better understanding a specific human condition, nor do I think there’s an intent to appear smarter than it is. I’d say that’s more or less a product of the main character’s personality shining through the narrative, which I think adds stylistic appeal that’s probably more or less rare in animes that just open up stories with a happy girl saying her name and what school she’s in. Instead, the Tatami Galaxy asks “what kind of possibilities do we have in life” and by extension “how many of those possibilities have a negligible impact on where we end up?” The show doesn’t answer this question completely.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Tatami Galaxy. It was fun to watch, visually appealing, had characters that were interesting and beyond my initial expectations, and ended up nicely with a few important messages about life that I took to heart. If that’s the kind of story you’re looking for, I’d like to highly recommend The Tatami Galaxy to you and welcome you to a journey in searching for your own rose colored campus life.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:24:04 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:03:09 AM »
So I am going to be reviewing anime each time I finish it... what about shows that don't need their own thread but I don't really recommend? Still post the review here or should I start a thread for General Anime Reviews? o_o

gonna post anyway and will move if I need to...
<< Post Merge: December 13, 2012, 07:45:07 AM >>

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora
Review by Glitch

Anime Info
Title: Hanbun no Tsuki Ga Noboru Sora / Looking Up at the Half Moon
Length 1 Season / 6 Episodes / 24 Minutes per Episode
Air Date: Early 2006
Studio: Group TAC
Summary: The story of Hantsuki focuses on the budding relationship between the seventeen years old Yūichi Ezaki and Rika Akiba. Both are hospitalized in Yūichi's home town for their respective conditions. Yūichi has hepatitis A, while Rika has problems with a weak heart valve. These teens would then fall in love while they spend time with one another. The story is based in Ise, Mie prefecture. --Hantsuki Wiki

Full Review
Plot: 7.8/10
The story of Hantsuki is really an interesting one. I had no ideas or preconceptions going into it of how it would end; whether it would be comedic or tragic. I just found the first episode on youtube and enjoyed it enough to go through with it. Hantsuki is really short at only 6 episodes, so I was expecting it to be rather rushed, but they managed to keep the pace manageable and even slow at times.

I really liked the overall story of this show. It was interesting watching the complications arise as they came along, and with a grand overview of it, I would say that it is a "good" story. At times it's kind of cliché and you know what's coming, but other times you just have no idea what the next outcome is going to be. A complicated thing to explain about this is that there is an element of surprise and an element of expectancy. I guess the best way to put it is that the different paths that the show could go down are all REALLY obvious, which is the expectancy part, but the questionable part is WHICH one it will take.

That said, I thought that the plot had enough unexpectancy to keep it from being boring all the way through. One thing that brings the plot score down, however, is that there's just too much random stuff thrown in. I speak about a few things particularly: first and foremost, the legendary Tada-Collection. Seriously? It was so random and didn't serve any purpose in the story other than for Rika to get mad at Yuuichi again, and she did that enough already. It was also annoying to me how they dealt with it... like it's just nothing important. Yeah, I get it, it's not important so they're not going to emphasize it, but if something is so insignificant like this why did we have to get so much of it? The old geezer was useless in progressing anything in the story/characters and the pr0nz collection didn't really do anything either.

--Begin Spoilers--
Another really random thing was the scene with that lady who's Akiko's friend where she just picks up Yuuichi and takes him home and tries to screw him. Wat. It was all of a sudden, made no sense, had absolutely no point, and just pissed me off tbh. WHY? We saw this person for like 10 seconds a few episodes ago and she just disappeared and there was no point to her character and then she comes back all of a sudden trying to seduce Yuuichi? That related to nothing in the story at all and just slowed stuff down and threw in more hentai crap that made me sad. One of the things I really cherished about the series was that it wasn't all perverted and crap. And then they throw in the massive porn collection and this scene and it was just ugh.
--End Spoilers--

What I really did like about the show was that they didn't leave you out to dry a lot. There was always some sort of tension building, but it wasn't to the point where it was torturing you the whole way. In summary, the story and plot were really good when it comes to the overall arc of the A-plot, but had a lot of random crap thrown in that lowers my score down some. 7.8

Characters: 8.5
I was really conflicted with this show about characters. There's some that I really love, some that I hate; some that are deep, some that are flat. I think they did a good job with characters in the show, but good is the extent of the adjective I'll choose to use there.

Yuuichi is a good character in general. I think he is a likable guy and really cares about Rika truly in his heart, but he screws up a lot and things go wrong for him at the wrong time. I like his transformation that he goes through in the show as he goes from being this regular teenage dude with no real goals in life to having something to live for and finding meaning in, and living out a life that furthers that meaning. One thing I dislike about him, however, is his monotony and nonchalantness about those stupid freaking ero-hon books. Yes, if you didn't get the memo, I hated everything about those in the story and think it's stupid that they even brought them into the story. I think that this transformation I spoke of earlier kind of shows itself in the sense that before he found Rika to be his source of inspiration in life, he was careless in his fantasies, but after he realizes she is his main reason to keep going, he realizes that these perverted books aren't fair to the one he loves. That's what I wanted to see, and it's not what happened. It seemed like a big set-back that wasn't meant as a set-back to his character's overall change. So there are a lot of positives to his character... it's just that there's one big holdback as well.

I'll be honest... at first, I hated Rika's guts. I couldn't stand her, but I normally despise the tsundere stereotype anyways. That is... until they come around, LOL! I think that characters like Rika are rather annoying because they're so stubborn, but I can't rate a character based on likability; I must rate them based on their character quality. I don't consider Rika as deep of a character as Yuuichi because she doesn't really change too much except for accepting Yuuichi. All along she has the same feeling on the inside, it's just that she fights it at first and after he's "proven himself" in her eyes, she accepts him. But she's still the same person and hasn't really learned much. What I do like about Rika, however, is that she is unlike the usual tsundere character in her forgiveness. She usually tacks on a task with it, but she is good at forgiving things even if it may take a while. That's what redeems her character for me and makes me like her.

As for Akiko, I think she's one of the stronger characters because she brings a wonderful mix of personality to the show that it really needed to be rounded out. She starts out as just this rough-cut, blunt, impatient, and bossy nurse, but over the course of the show we see her more loving side come out toward Rika and even Yuuichi as things get difficult for them. She is a phenomenal source of comedy, but also provides that person who the main characters can fall back on and rely on for strength. She reminds me a lot of Sanae from Clannad in that she functions in the background unnoticed a lot as she plays the role of the supporting one who everyone needs but don't necessarily recognize as such helpful people.

Natsume Sensei is by far the most controversial character in my book, however, I bear shocking news to go along with that: I consider him to be probably the best QUALITY character in the show. Not my favorite by any means; on the contrary, I rather dislike the guy. But let me explain why I think he brings so much to the show. Without him, the show itself would be rather dull and nothing would really happen that's really conflict-related. From the very beginning I disliked him, and that budded into an ever-growing hatred for his character every time I saw him. The one thing that changed my mind, however, was when I saw his backstory and his past with his wife. That was one of the most moving parts to me in the whole series. It really made everything that had previously been confusing and senseless come together and form a well-rounded character who makes a lot of mistakes as the result of a difficult past he's not been able to overcome yet. Everything about him suddenly made sense when I found out what happened in his past and I believe that it shows through his character that he is probably the strongest in character depth in the show.

Other notes: I loathe Old Man Tada as you know and think he's useless except for a proverb he gives at the beginning that comes back at the end that could have been much more meaningful if it was found inside a fortune cookie rather than coming from an old perv. I also hate that slutty woman who's a friend of Akiko's. They both bring the Character section's score down for me. But it gets evened back out when you bring into account Mizutani, Yuuichi's childhood friend who is really kind and caring even to those she doesn't know, and the big Zebra mask dude who just brings hilariousness to the show.

I also am going to bump the character rating a little above what I normally would score it because while I don't think either of the main characters on their own are just PHENOMENAL, when they're together, their ship is really what makes the series so wonderful. I really love seeing them together and seeing them make each other happy and draw meaning in life from each other. 8.5

Animation: 7/10
I thought the animation was very... on par. Considering that it's a rather unheard of anime and that it is really short and small, it is a well animated show. I think the character design on the doctor and on Rika's hair in the front could have used some work, but that's about it. I really didn't notice a lot that stood out to me, which is normally a good thing in animation.

The whole show had a lot of monotone coloring to it. Even in outdoor scene like the one above, stuff always seemed ever so slightly desaturated. I would normally find this annoying but I think it really fit the style of the series because it's set in such a monotonous world with monotony always looming over them. Everything about being in a hospital is boring and bland, and I think they do a good job in their coloring of things to get that across. 7/10.

Sound: 9.5/10
I have to say, from the beginning I adored both the opening and ending theme songs.

They truly are beautiful pieces of music. There is also a recurring theme that comes up in the series many times over that is really beautiful. It's a piano melody that I think could be classified as a Yuuichi/Rika romance theme.

I think the videos posted above can speak a lot for themselves. 9.5/10

Summary and Recommendation Notes
In summary, Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora was one of the more enjoyable series I've watched. I wouldn't classify it anywhere with the elite series, but it is probably somewhere above average. I really enjoyed it because I was able to watch it at my own pace and it was just fun and light-hearted. Something interesting to note however is that I don't think my rating gives full credit to how much I would recommend the series. Normally, a score of this much wouldn't really mean I would share it with a lot of people and recommend it, but there's a lot of stuff in the show that just really is cozy, comfy, lovable, and just plain sweet. It is really a great show overall if you aren't in it for the action or a lot of stuff happening.

I would recommend this show to most people. At six episodes, it can be knocked out in one sitting if you feel motivated. It is really perfect if you're looking for a little fluff to fill your time when you're bored but don't have a lot of time long-term. It's short and sweet and leaves you with a happy sense of joy inside when you're done, and it's just an overall upbeat experience despite not being a super upbeat series (example Working!!).

Final Rating
Once everything is averaged out, the final rating comes to an...

8.2/10

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:48:33 AM by Glitch »

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.