Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Bolin  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Internet Meme

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
Re: Bolin
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 01:53:17 AM »
I don't know if I ever addressed this on KF, but if I did, sorry (I don't want to come off as a hater...)

I really dislike Bolin. And it's mostly the fandom's fault, to be honest.

Bolin is currently a complete waste of a character. He isn't a mary sue, but he lacks any kind of layering to his character. There's nothing to him. He's nice, funny, charming, etc. But he feels like a character that was just WRITTEN that way. He feels like a character description. He's all these good things, but in contrast to what?

He's nice because......he just is.
He's funny because.....he just is.
He's charming because.....he just is.

I know a lot of people feel the same way, but I can't attach anything to Bolin like other people do. Everyone else recognizes his lack of development and say "HE HAS SO MUCH POTENTIAL, AND HE'S SO ADORABLE I LOVE HIM!"

I can't do that.
I just can't.
I can't pretend that he will get better and ignore the fact that he's still just a shell of personality traits the writers needed to have in the krew. And I loathe him even more when people go on about his loveliness because there's literally nothing to him. The other characters, while dislikable, still have a taste of something. If the other characters are crappy ramen, then Bolin is the plastic packaging...tasteless (unless your ramen packages taste like something...in that case, you need to change your diet because you shouldn't be eating plastic in the first place).

So, there's my rant.
Don't hate me T_T

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 03:26:47 AM »
I get what you mean, Meme, but at the same time I'm not sure if I quite agree with you on how overblown it is. It's similar to how half the fandom acts like Zuko is some perfect prince, head and shoulders a more upright character than he or anyone else in ATLA ACTUALLY IS. However, I feel like with Bolin, the fact that the people who fawn over him do typically acknowledge how his character's potential has thus far been wasted does deserve some credit. Another part of why I don't feel that it's so annoying is that we are actually given something to work with as far as the potential that Bolin has.

Namely, you know how the last of his pre-series character summaries said that he feels like he's always in Mako's shadow? We've seen plenty of evidence to show that this is justified which could easily be explored for a character arc. The vast majority of opportunities presented, and there have been quite a few, to offer any amount of depth or meaning into Bolin's character have ended up largely overshadowed or shuttered somehow by or in favor of that ever-controversial older brother of his. In fact, the most infamous example of this actually involved a date with Korra, though considering said date was ended by the moment that made the shipping episode it was in so disastrous to me and a lot of other people, this should tell you all about how that went. Aside from a quick apology segment after the last pro bending match in that episode, the implications from that went largely unresolved.

Ultimately, it's not just that Bolin was thrown in there so the Krew had a funny guy or an earthbender; that's the reason people are ticked off in the first place. But for many of us, the difference between interpreting that his presence is a waste of time versus feeling that there's a great character in there waiting to be tapped and that being the off-putting thing about it, as well as the difference between holding Bolin's lack of gravitas against the boy himself versus holding it against Bryke's writing or even against Mako, is that we have seen moments where his character has tried to shine out or simply to have a say, only to be told down or shoved right back into the wallpaper as if he was overstepping his role somehow.

At least, that's what I think it is. Feel free to correct me anytime, guys.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SDs Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 05:03:40 AM »
I get what you mean, Meme, but at the same time I'm not sure if I quite agree with you on how overblown it is. It's similar to how half the fandom acts like Zuko is some perfect prince, head and shoulders a more upright character than he or anyone else in ATLA ACTUALLY IS. However, I feel like with Bolin, the fact that the people who fawn over him do typically acknowledge how his character's potential has thus far been wasted does deserve some credit. Another part of why I don't feel that it's so annoying is that we are actually given something to work with as far as the potential that Bolin has.

Namely, you know how the last of his pre-series character summaries said that he feels like he's always in Mako's shadow? We've seen plenty of evidence to show that this is justified which could easily be explored for a character arc. The vast majority of opportunities presented, and there have been quite a few, to offer any amount of depth or meaning into Bolin's character have ended up largely overshadowed or shuttered somehow by or in favor of that ever-controversial older brother of his. In fact, the most infamous example of this actually involved a date with Korra, though considering said date was ended by the moment that made the shipping episode it was in so disastrous to me and a lot of other people, this should tell you all about how that went. Aside from a quick apology segment after the last pro bending match in that episode, the implications from that went largely unresolved.

Ultimately, it's not just that Bolin was thrown in there so the Krew had a funny guy or an earthbender; that's the reason people are ticked off in the first place. But for many of us, the difference between interpreting that his presence is a waste of time versus feeling that there's a great character in there waiting to be tapped and that being the off-putting thing about it, as well as the difference between holding Bolin's lack of gravitas against the boy himself versus holding it against Bryke's writing or even against Mako, is that we have seen moments where his character has tried to shine out or simply to have a say, only to be told down or shoved right back into the wallpaper as if he was overstepping his role somehow.

At least, that's what I think it is. Feel free to correct me anytime, guys.
I see this too, actually. Especially in the last episode when all he is trying to do is be supportive of Korra losing her bending and Mako tells him to shut up and he just goes back into corner of silence.

~Set by me~

Offline Huzzahfortimelines

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 10
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 06:46:12 PM »
Right now I agree with Fourtune. I mean, I like him, but if he doesn't get any proper character-development, this series will have a serious bad-point. The main thing I hated what the creators did with him, is when he saw Mako, and Korra kissing. This should have been a pretty serious moment, instead, it was just a cheap laugh-off against Bolin.
Basically what I'm saying, I like him, but I hope he doesn't get Sunohara'd. (A.K.A: Great character thrown away because he needs to be comedic-relief).

Like... a Great Wind! A Great Biotic Wind ...Fear Me!

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2012, 05:19:00 AM »
He's adorable and sweet, and they've hinted quite a bit that he's got hidden depths.  Unfortunately, 5 was pretty much the last episode in which the narrative treated him like a central character.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:02:48 AM by Deist Zealot »
I keep:  Lin Beifong's resolve, Asami Sato's integrity, and Bolin's endearing inability to lie.

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
There are so many Because's for Bolin being nice or supportive..charming and yes, even a strong stable part of the group that keeps it together. I could go on and on about how positive and light hearted he is and site specific examples and give reasons as to why he's a remarkable character..but if you feel that way Meme, it is what it is. Its just sad you feel that way and were influenced a little by the fandom to feel that way as well. I truly believe that Bryke are waiting for just the right time to show us what his character is really capable of. I know he's gonna be that 'breakout' kinda character that makes you think twice on his motives, actions, and behavior. I know hes not just the character relief. Why else would Bryke write him into the main cast if hes not gonna have any development. Just for comic relief?! Bryke doesnt really play that game. Even Sokka was a goofball who had a ton of obsticles to face and time to grow personally.

This season..yes...Bolin was on the back-burner in terms of development..but..i look at it like this.

As quoted by the Mulan movie:

The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all."

Bolin is gonna have problems and may even have an identity crisis (bryke said he's gonna have development in the seasons to come) and will grow from those certain situations to make him not so much of a written-this-way kinda character so to speak.

He is a promising character, and its sort of ill-considered to say hes a shell of a character and doesnt have a lot to bring to the show... :/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:39:08 PM by aanglover »
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 12:14:04 AM »
I totally hope you're right, aanglover. (Btw, first somewhat meaningful post of 2013 for me. Happy New Year, everybody.) Anyway, yeah, them introducing him in such a major capacity only to be the comic relief really is not the way to go, and despite how the first season went I'd like to think Bryke clearly know this. And if PJ's statement about Bolin getting some serious romantic development in book 2 and the fact that the Krewmates seem to be set up to run solo temporarily during the season are any indication, I get the feeling we are gonna start to see what Bolin is all about.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SDs Signature & Avatar Boutique!

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.