Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: WONDER WOMAN (2017)  (Read 197 times)

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
WONDER WOMAN (2017)
« on: June 02, 2017, 06:44:46 AM »

DID ANY OF Y'ALL SEE IT???

SPOILERS (click to show/hide)BECAUSE I DID AND HER RAMMING THROUGH BUILDINGS SATISFIED SOMETHING DEEP INSIDE OF ME

And the part after she kills the general, MANNNNNNNNN. I love how it was what the kids call "realistic," but still so much more hopeful than the rest of DC's recent movies. JUST.

STEVE THOUGH--POOR WONDY. </3

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
Re: WONDER WOMAN (2017)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:30:39 PM »
Yeah, I saw it, all right.  :D  Really enjoyed it, too.

I have to wonder what people in Germany are going to think about it.  :D

So, my thoughts... (click to show/hide)My mom told me after I'd seen the movie that she'd grown up reading Wonder Woman comics.  I was surprised, but I shouldn't have been.  :D

It surprised me that they based this in World War I rather than World War II--and I freely admit, I don't know that much about Wonder Woman or her origins--but I liked the touch.  Having Steve Trevor fly out of the Ottoman Empire out over water puts him quite possibly over the Aegean Sea, which is logically where the island of Themiscyra might be.  Having Diana possibly be a daughter of Zeus didn't bother me; having Ares kill all the other Olympians did--especially Athena, who I always figured could take Ares any day of the week.  Hm.

(For that matter, if any of the Olympians would be a patron of the Amazons, I think it'd be Athena, although Wikipedia says they're the daughters of Harmonia and Ares, of all people.  Hm.  Of course the Internet is never wrong.  XD)

(And your character was Harmony, right, Water?  Hm again.  XDD)

It bothered me a little too that you have Diana and Steve Trevor on a boat in the Aegean or Mediterranean that somehow "gets a lift" to London all the way in the Atlantic, but I suppose that's one way to move the story along.  Literally.  XD

With all of that... I loved how Gal Gadot played Diana.  Her idealism wasn't fake; I really don't want to call it naivete.  But you could just feel it out there, shining, despite hit after hit, and you know, you just know what's going to happen when "killing Ares" does not stop the war.  And how Diana handles it is understandable and real.

Then the scene in the boat where Steve Trevor stumbles over "sleeping with a woman" and Diana innocently has fun with him throughout the whole thing... that was beautiful.  For that matter, I liked how Chris Pine handled himself throughout the movie but especially there.  You know darn well what his character is thinking there and what he's trying to avoid blundering into, and you know Diana knows too.  It was very well done.

I'd love to see the movie again to think about some things some more.  In the scene where Diana faces the German trenches alone and is the target of several machine guns and everything the Germans can throw at her, that was a powerful scene.  I looked at my girlfriend, and I'm pretty sure I saw a tear in her eye.  No gratuitous booty shots, no cleavage as far as remember in the whole of the movie... it was wonderful.  Wonder Woman was captured on film as a hero.  A blanket-blank hero.  Full stop.

I thought it was interesting too that Steve Trevor had a team that he resorted to the same way Steve Rogers did, albeit with a very different focus.  :D  And it's great to see that Professor Lupin found some work, too.

I would love to see a sequel.

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »
Whoot! =] Heaven knows I did.

Heh, there's a question.

Spoilers (click to show/hide)My mom was the same, but I already knew it--taking her to see it was her Mother's Day gift from me. ^^

Given comics nonsense, she's had a number of origins, but I think they did a good job getting themes down and all. I think her being a daughter of Zeus was a thing in the New 52, but generally, she's clay brought to life--which they alluded to even if they didn't go with it. And yeah, that was strange, but Diana was also told a number of "white lies", so perhaps that isn't true or they'll retcon it.

(Actually, yeah, WW mythology is kind of...well, like Disney's Hercules. Inaccurate, but fun. Ares, funnily enough, was indeed linked to the Amazons in a positive manner. XD)

I have no geographical talent, so suspension of disbelief wasn't hard for me there. XD

But yes! Gadot did a really nice job. Especially with that otherworldy idealism that never made her seem dumb, just different. And inspiring. The whole "killing Ares" thing was one of my favorite parts, actually. It's a harsh wakeup call, but proves both Wondy's and Steve's heroism in the end.

It's incredible that they actually improvised those lines...Gadot and Pine knocked it out of the park, making it both funny and endearing.

I'd like to see it again in general. And yes, the director cites it as the most important scene in the movie, and I can see why, though I loved many parts. Wondy rejects the impossibility of the situation and becomes what she really is--a superhero.

Ha, yeah--I lot of people have been noting the similarities and I actually made a print because of it. XD But omg, that was bizarre for me.

Yeeessssss.

Offline Eva

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:01:15 AM »
This movie was absolutely amazing. Gadot's performance was genuine and inspiring. Loved it!

It's definitely my new favorite movie; totally buying it on Blu-Ray!
I might hate myself tomorrow, but I'm on my way tonight
At the bottom of the bottle, you're the poison in the wine
And I know, I can't change you and I won't change
I might hate myself tomorrow, but I'm on my way tonight
Let's be lonely together, a little less lonely together

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 06:24:57 PM »
(click to show/hide)Wow--so Gal Gadot and Chris Pine actually improvised those lines??  Holy mackerel.  That was inspired work, that really was.  My admiration for them both just went up another notch.

"Wondy".  Heh.  That's the first time I've seen that!  XD  It fits.  And her origin story certainly brings new meaning to the idea of heroes having feet of clay.  XD  (Yes, I had to say it.)

I did have a question for you, Sailor, and for everyone else in the thread: have you seen Xena: Warrior Princess?  And if I can ask (for it), what would you say to compare this movie and that series?

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 05:55:54 AM »
This movie was absolutely amazing. Gadot's performance was genuine and inspiring. Loved it!

It's definitely my new favorite movie; totally buying it on Blu-Ray!

I'll be buying it on blu-ray too--it'll be a happy addition.

(click to show/hide)Wow--so Gal Gadot and Chris Pine actually improvised those lines??  Holy mackerel.  That was inspired work, that really was.  My admiration for them both just went up another notch.

"Wondy".  Heh.  That's the first time I've seen that!  XD  It fits.  And her origin story certainly brings new meaning to the idea of heroes having feet of clay.  XD  (Yes, I had to say it.)

I did have a question for you, Sailor, and for everyone else in the thread: have you seen Xena: Warrior Princess?  And if I can ask (for it), what would you say to compare this movie and that series?

Spoilers (click to show/hide)They did! And right? They did a fantastic job.

It's been around for a while--like "Spidey", "Supes", "Bats", etc. XD But omg...always the pun-master, wulf. XD (Luckily, I think puns are Wonderful. *shot*)

I have, but back when I was like...5 or something. I should give it a rewatch and get back to ya.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
Nice  XD

(click to show/hide)I guess I'm asking because I did see Xena when the show came out (shows how old I am), and I don't remember the show getting the kind of positive reaction that Wonder Woman is getting.  Albeit there was a lot more gratuitous, um, display going on in Xena compared with Wonder Woman, but in the TV show you had an obviously powerful, capable woman, in a position of power and influence, which Wonder Woman (the character) most definitely also is.  I also don't remember any kind of male viewer backlash against Xena (both the show and the character); that might be because of the aforementioned display and maybe because the show was a spinoff of the Hercules: the Legendary Journeys TV show, I don't know.

Mind you, I definitely am glad the movie is getting very positive feedback.  I don't mean to downplay that for the world.  It's just interesting to me, the comparison of the two.

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Round 1!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 12:18:15 AM »
(click to show/hide)I think a big part of it is the medium too though--Xena is a show, whereas Wonder Woman is a "Hollywood blockbuster" and all. Because there was a Wonder Woman TV series too, but it was only Superman and Batman going to the big screens for a long, long time. Xena and Buffy too, for that matter, are remembered fondly regardless of any understandable imperfections, but are sort of a different beast in that way. Legitimate or not, there is something considered prestigeous about getting a film on the big screen. Distribution is also a lot different. (Especially world-wide and all.) Backlash, I feel, is something of a current trend--with the rise of the internet, immediate reactions are a lot more visible and given current...political and cultural climates, there is a lot of nonsense making itself known. It also doesn't help that there was a whole scandal where Ike Perlmutter--a higher up in the comics industry, who once had a hand in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, insisted that female-leads wouldn't sell. (Feige has since separated the MCU from Perlmutter and Wonder Woman has done well to prove him wrong, but it remains a significant turning point given all that.)

And I am too. I totally get it--it's an interesting subject, for better or for worse.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.