Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: The 90's are NOT "All That"  (Read 597 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
The 90's are NOT "All That"
« on: January 13, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »
'Member the 90's? Weren't they awesome? Yeah, I do 'member, actually. I 'member the 90's vividly. Many things about it were awesome, like the old TV shows, movies, and video games. But let's face it, some things were frustrating at best and terrible at worst. Here's are ten reasons why if given the opportunity, I would not go back to the 90's.

10. The Video Store: It's Friday night, you have no homework, and the God-given weekend is starting. Mom and Dad are not working, but they have no money for a vacation, they can't take you to the arcade or the movies, and the theme park is closed for the season, so they decide on two things: Order out dinner and get a movie or two from Blockbuster. First you had to get in the car and drive over there. Then you had to keep your fingers crossed that they had the movie you were hoping to see or one you'd enjoy if they don't. Then there was the line, because all the kids in school were there to rent a movie. You bring the movie home, enjoy watching it with your family or just your younger or older siblings, and then it's time to return it, which brings us to the late fees. If you were one microsecond too late to return the movie or game, your parents were slapped with a late fee. This money could have been spent buying movies you'd have indefinitely.

9. Communication: Nowadays, we take our smartphones for granted. However, in the 90's, cell phones, those bulky flip phones, were a luxury. The only ones who had them were your dad's boss, business executives, lawyers, and the rich kids (and may God help them if they ever brought those things to school). Imagine yourself as a kid. You go to the supermarket or Walmart with your mom. You like shopping with her, it makes you feel responsible. She says, "Hey, could you just pick up some bread? I'll be here." Excited little Jimmy or Jenny runs off to the bread aisle, picks it up, and goes back to the meeting point, but mom isn't there. So, angrily, you search the next aisle, and the next, and the next, and you can't find her. You don't know what to do until you hear an announcement on the PA system, so little Jimmy or Jenny gets an idea. "Oh yeah, the front desk!" and goes off to have mom paged. That's just one example. Another is that each house had only one landline phone. Your older sibling wanted to talk to his/her girlfriend/boyfriend, but your dad had an important work call to make and would get in serious trouble if he missed that call. Yeah, it sucked.

8. Annoying Internet: As kids, we saw commercials for AOL on TV and heard both our teachers and the "geeky" kids (more on that later) talk about something called the internet. You talk to your parents about it, and they are on board with getting it, because hey, better to send emails than pay for stamps. So, what do you do? You need to get a whole new phone line just for the internet, which means a doubled phone bill. Then you get AOL, which you needed to replace every year (the discs were free), and pay for AOL service. Yeah, it left your parents wallets quite thin. Oh, there was also that major issue of having to take turns using it, even if you did have more than one computer in the house, which was a rare thing.

7. TV: I loved the 90's cartoons and some live action shows. They were awesome, but there was just one teensy-weensy little problem. They were only on at a certain time, and in some cases only on certain days! If you missed those shows, you were screwed until tomorrow or next week. Yes, you could have videotaped it, but you'd have to rely on your parents' memories and the fact that blank tapes cost money. Also, there was the other issue of "having to endure" mediocre programs in between your favorite shows, because there was nothing else to watch in that timeslot. Never take it for granted that you can now watch your favorite episodes of your favorite shows anytime you want. Always remember the inconvenience of the 90's TV.

6. Music and Music Paraphernalia: Nowadays, we have our iTunes and the like. Music is easy to find and easy to collect. In the 90's, it was much more difficult. You had to collect CD's and CD's were expensive. In order to save money, you could have recorded on blank cassettes from the radio, but you had to pray to everything that was holy that your favorite songs would be on. Then there was the issue of CD's being so prone to damage. You also have to buy a CD player in case you want to distract yourself on trips or you didn't want your parents to hear the profane lyrics at home. You also had to supply on batteries, which brings us to our next one

5. Batteries Not Included: Everything electronic that did not have a plug required batteries. Nowadays, our phones, our portable game systems, our music devices (if you still buy them)... pretty much everything has a built-in battery that can be recharged indefinitely and they have an awesome battery life. Again, not the case in the 90's. If you'd suggest the idea of a built-in rechargeable battery in the 90's, especially to a kid, we'd probably say it's very far into the future. I'd say from the minute we were born to the turn of the century, over a thousand dollars would be spent on batteries. Oh, and if the batteries in your device runs out and you don't have new ones, you're screwed.

4. Media Appealing to the Times: To this day, Hollywood and others have not friggin' learned to not try to be current. This was very prevalent in the 90's, and trust me when I say I didn't like it then either. To paraphrase the words of James Rolfe AKA the Angry Video Game Nerd, there is a difference between something classic and something that's dated. Classics withstand the test of time. They hold up to this day and probably always will. With something dated, the novelty dies with the era it came out. I can't watch things specifically targeted to the youth of the 90's these days without shaking my head in disgust.

3. Fads and Trends: Nothing says "marketing" like spending your parents' hard-earned money or your bi-weekly allowance on things that are "cool", but neither you or other kids of your generation could explain why they are cool. This ranges from novelties such as pogs, clothing styles, and certain toys like virtual pets or Furby (those things creeped me out, how they caught on still astounds me to this day). You know, as a kid, I used to think that there was an elite council of billionaires out there that decided what was cool or in style so that they could bleed our wallets dry. I look back on 90's fashion and again echo the words of James Rolfe: "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?"

2. Different was Bad: Being different guaranteed ostracization 99 times out of a hundred. If you didn't dress a certain way, if you didn't enjoy certain things, if you didn't own a particular object, you were considered a weirdo, and you were either avoided or outright bullied. I was one of those kids, I'll admit it. My hero was the goth and the hipster (before I even knew what a hipster was). The ones who gave a one-fingered salute to what society demanded of them. Sure, kids act like that these days to a point, but there is one difference. Diversity is accepted. You can be an individual. Hardly anybody demands you keep up with the trends. I'll be honest here. If it means not having to deal with the excessive scrutiny and peer pressure of the age, I would much rather have been a kid in the 2000's. I could easily stream 90's shows or movies and buy 90's games.

1. We Were Ignorant: The threat of communism had died. There would be no nuclear war. Peace had come to both East and West or so we thought. In our schools, our teachers convinced us that the future was ours. The economy was booming, apparently. Yup, soon we'd be living like the Jetsons. The Balkan Wars, the Rwandan genocide, the Gulf War, the economic bubble about to burst... all conveniently kept from most of the populace. That is until one day, we overhear the news or see an article in a national level newspaper, you get those rose-tinted glasses forcibly torn off. "Holy crap, Saddam Hussein is gonna start World War III!" "Oh my God, Milosevic is a monster!" "Uh, why is the government ignoring the warnings by economists? We'll be broke." We were wrong about "So-damn Insane", but that's inconsequential. At some point in the 90's, each of us learned that it was not all cupcakes and rainbows. For me, it was 1998. Nowadays, our youth is more aware of what's going on.

For the most part, I look back fondly on the 1990's, but I would not "bring the 90's back" as the memes say.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:24:19 PM by Lionheart »
Set by Waterlady

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
Re: The 90's are NOT "All That"
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:46:15 PM »
So what brought all this on, Lion?

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:13:26 AM »
I'm guessing Buzzfeed.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
    • My FF.net
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 04:02:36 AM »
FB mostly. South Park also finally made fun of this 90's nostalgia crap. XD
Set by Waterlady

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
Shows how connected I am; I haven't heard a thing.  What did BuzzFeed do?

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
    • My FF.net
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »
Not sure about buzzfeed, but on FB, you get all these "90's kids remember this" posts.
Set by Waterlady

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.