Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Table top and Board games  (Read 548 times)

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 28
  • Korrasami Expert
Table top and Board games
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:02:54 PM »
Is this the place to discuss those? or do we need a separate board?

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 46
    • DA
Re: Table top and Board games
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 09:48:33 PM »
I feel like this would be the right place for it...

EITHER WAY, I AM DOWN TO TALK BOARD GAMES!! I have a group of people IRL that we go out and play board games every weekend or so? My friend has a HUGE collection, like so many games.

I love games like ASCENSION (which is my favorite deck builder everrrr), CATAN, Flux, Cards Against Humanity, Tokaido, Forbidden Island, Tsuro,  etc

Also really interested in games like Warmachine/Hordes, as well as TCGs like Pokemon or Magic the Gathering... although I don't have the money to dedicate to them atm.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:50:38 PM by Crystle »

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:14:58 PM »
Oh! How is Tokaido? I see it every time I'm at the game store and I'm like "I should pick that up."

My favorite game still, now and always, is Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 11:51:07 PM »
Tokaido is good! I would say 4 players tho, it's more interesting. There's a lot of different ways to get victory points during the course of the game, so it really comes to how you play the game.
And the fact that only a certain number of players can be on each space means a lot of cut-throat playing, nice and competitive. If you play, hand out characters randomly, some of them are really broken and it's annoying when people who know the game choose them.
But it really is fun, like one of my top games probably.

I have not played Sentinels of the Multiverse. I don't even think I've seen it? What kind of game is it?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 11:53:42 PM by Crystle »

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 12:36:02 AM »
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a co-op Card game where you and your group play super heroes trying to be a villain in an environment.

It's not a deck building game as all the decks come in sets, prebuilt. I believe the main game comes with 10 heroes, 5 Villains, and 4 environments. The idea is to survive and beat the villain. And for the most part that means drop them to zero HP. There's other villains that are a little more tricky. No two villains or heroes are the same.

The environments can help or hinder you and your allies, and if everyone's HP drops to Zero it's game over.

It's lots of fun, normally a game takes 30 minutes to an hour depending on how things go. I've had games take ten minutes due to Villain victories (Grand Warlord Voss is a jerk)

Basically it's your hero decks vs the villain deck, while the environment deck changes the battle field.

Also nice a diverse cast of characters that really help mix it up. My favorite character is Tachyon, she's a speedster (obviously with a name like that), and she's also a scientist lesbian. Which is bonus points.

I have every possible card available currently except some Kickstarter ones, but I'm getting those next year because I helped fund the final expansion.

As for expansions, there's the main game, rook city, infernal relics, shattered timelines, vengeance (which added a whole new way to play, wrath of the cosmos, and villains of the Multiverse. Last expansion comes out next year, pretty excited for it)

Also cut throat gaming? Sounds like munchkin

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 12:39:59 AM »
Oh it's not like Super Cutthroat, not like Munchkin is. Tokaido is more.... i don't know how to describe it. because the point is to have the "best experience across japan" so it's very pretty, but you can definitely spend your time screwing people over lol

Wow, sounds like an interesting game. Co-op games are fun, but I don't get to play a lot of them. I wonder if there's a demo version of it at one of my local game shops, because it sounds really cool.

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 07:25:03 PM »
I suppose I could go on the Internet and find out for myself, but I'm lazy.  And curious.  What is "Tokaido", Topaz?

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:26:09 PM »
It's a board game wulf

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 12:01:15 AM »
:P

Don't you play D&D, Wulf? I see you mention it a lot on your tumblr.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 07:36:10 PM »
I did, back when I was in high school.  I haven't played it since, though I've always been interested.

I need to find a group around here and ease myself back in.  It used to be "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" when I picked it up.  Now it's... 5th Edition?  Makes me wonder what's changed.

That, and having "impact psychology" with a mace has even more appeal now.  >D

And yes, lilith, I figured Tokaido was a board game.  :P

That board looks interesting, Topaz.  I'm guessing the board goes in both directions?  Tell me more, please.

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 11:48:35 PM »
5th Edition has been fun so far--all my friends hated 4th Edition, so we were using 3.5 for a while, but 5th is pretty user friendly and balanced, I think. Though I'm always a fan of breaking even some of those rules. Limiting classes and races to alignments is boring to me, so I'm lucky that my group will pretty much let us do anything as long as we roll for it and such. I have a pretty questionable paladin in one of my sessions and a homebrew vampire in the other. XD

I haven't had the chance to play Sentinels or Tokaido, but they both look really interesting...I should tell one of my friends. He's brought us pretty much all the expansions of Cards Against Humanity and Superfight (which is a fun, superhero-themed card game, similar to Red Flags and Cards Against Humanity), along with countless other games, so he'd likely be interested.

I love TCGs too, but also can't afford them right now. I'll probably go for some cards when I actually have a job. Yu-Gi-Oh! will always be my silly love, but I also play Magic and Pokemon.

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 04:23:49 AM »
That board looks interesting, Topaz.  I'm guessing the board goes in both directions?  Tell me more, please.
Sure! It's just one direction. The idea is that you're trying to have the most fulfilling experience across Japan. Throughout the game, you collect Food, Art, Gold, Friends and Souvenirs. The idea is to get the most victory points, and each of those things has different ways to get said victory points.

You travel the board portion by portion (days) and there's five of them. So you go from one Inn to the other Inn and no one can go past one Inn until the others are there. No matter where you are on the board, including the Inns, if you're in the back of the line, you go first. You decide your movement number so you can either go slow, or - since only one person can be on the spaces at a time unless there's two dots - you just do whatever you can lol. The spaces between give you all the victory point related things!

It's super fun, and all the characters have different powers, like one character gets more food at the Inns, or another character gets a Friend at every Inn, stuff like that!

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 04:27:04 AM »
Wow I kinda want that game now

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »
It's one of those games that you play maybe a couple times a month but is a super easy one to jump in to when teaching new people. I would highly suggest trying a demo at your local shop if they have it, it's got a lot to it that I'm not equipped to explain.

If you're a game collector, the Collector's Edition is absolutely gorgeous, and instead of the odd little wooden people, you get individual figurines that correspond with each character as well as literal metal coins for the in-game currency. It's super pretty, my friend has it and it's just so niceeeee

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2016, 07:42:43 PM »
That sounds very interesting.  So, not a political game at all!  Not what I expected.

The Tokaido is a major road in Japan in James Clavell's Shōgun, when daimyo are facing off against each other in the early 1600s, and it plays something of a role in the story.  I thought "Tokaido" might be a game along those lines; refreshing to see it's not, oddly enough.

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 01:14:33 AM »
That's what they got the name from, I'm assuming. But yeah, I enjoy games that are less about violence lol

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »

Welcome to the second most complicated board/card game I've ever played. Holy hickory. I mean once you get things rolling it's super straight forward most of the time. Other times you are searching through pages of rules on the internet to determine "DOES THIS THING DO THIS?"

But still fun.

The game is called Legendary. It's a deck building game with tons of different versions and expansions. The idea is to complete objectives and win. So far we've played it twice. Lost both times XD

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2016, 06:50:05 PM »
Oh gosh I absolutely don't like Legendary at all

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2016, 07:04:42 PM »
That's what they got the name from, I'm assuming. But yeah, I enjoy games that are less about violence lol

Well, now I have something else to look for.  :D  That'll be interesting.

Did you lose to the game, Lilith?  XD

So Legendary... what, exactly?

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »
Yes the game one. Legendary is a Co-op game. We have the Predator version. But there are Marvel, DC, ect. versions you can play. in some instances you can mix the cards together. Like the Aliens and Predator ones can be mixed together.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.