Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Yooka-Laylee (project ukulele)  (Read 645 times)

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 46
    • DA
Yooka-Laylee (project ukulele)
« on: May 01, 2015, 02:11:56 AM »
I needed to make a topic because I have all these feelings about a CHAMELEON AND A BAT. WHAT IS LIFE.

Previously temp titled Project Ukulele, Yooka-Laylee is the spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie, one of the definitive classic 3D Platformers and one of my favorite series of all time, with the added delight of it being made by the same people. Playtonic is made of previous Rare developers coming back together to bring fresh life to the genres they had a hand in making huge! EXCITED!

The Chameleon is Yooka and the bat is Laylee, and as it's predecesor, the two have to use the abilities of each other to get through the game. Such as Laylee makes it possible for Yooka to glide if being held on to, stuff like that.

https://youtu.be/RTXBjstzwNE
GAMEPLAY TRAILER faints

I don't know guys I'm just really excited, it's the first project I'll ever back on a kickstarter, as well as a game made by the people that made my childhood. Just... it looks great. And i'm going to continue being excited for long after it's out.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:14:58 AM by Crystle »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Yooka-Laylee (project ukulele)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:44:22 AM »
Although I only played a little Banjo-Kazooie back in the day, I am a huge huge fan of Donkey Kong. Seriously, my brother and I played Donkey Kong 64 religiously. So I'm all for this. Plus I find sometimes that I really miss animal adventure video games like this. Honestly the only games I recall being anything like this and those were Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:33:06 AM »
DK64 and the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy are some of my favorite games!

What's cool is Playtonic is creating a muliverse of characters that can be NPCs in each others games... think the MCU.  So we may see a DK-like game hinted at as well.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:26:17 AM by Crystle »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:58:53 PM »
Oh my gosh, a multiverse?! That sounds flipping amazing!

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 11:32:58 PM »
They almost completed all the stretch goals in less than a day. They're at 750,000 pounds. Holy crap.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 11:35:10 PM by Crystle »

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 11:35:25 PM »
They... competed the kickstarter. All stretch goals...

In less than a day.

More than 1 million british pounds.

In half a day.
Sounds bout right.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 12:06:56 AM »
Well done, Playtonic.

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 01:38:02 AM »
Hah,  its not quite at the final stretch goal yet,  you quoted me before my edit. X3

Although to be fair its not stopping so that will likely be the reality by the end of the day. It's about to hit 800k.

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 06:43:32 PM »
The bat reminds me of Bartok, "the Magnificent".  :D

And wow. 750,000 pounds UK?  Almost $1.2 million dollars?  They achieved two purposes there--raising funds for the project and gauging interest.  I'd say there's interest.

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 02:47:40 AM »
It's actually at 2.5 million US dollars. Which is terrifying.

And it is in fact the fastest growing game kickstarter, finishing it's initial goals in no less than 6 hours. It's since added several more that have been shattered beyond belief.

It's ridiculous how much hype there is for this game, and how much it's showing that people want a well-made bright and colorful 3D platformed again. Games are so grey and bleh where it stands, this is such a breath of fresh air.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »
Hopefully other game publishers will take that as a cue and do something about it--especially given that degree of crowdfunding performance.  You want evidence of demand for a type of game, Wall Street, et al.?  Well, there it is.

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
    • DA
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 03:03:06 AM »
There have been other attempts! FreezeME and A Hat In Time are known ones for 3D, and then Mighty No9 and Shovel Knight were both 2D platforming kickstarters etc etc. There's a bunch.

The issue with all of these is that they're (as far as I know) unproven developers, these are their first games. Playtonic is made of developers whose names you can find in the credits of some of the most major, genre defining games of the 90s. I don't know about you, but I would definitely back a group like Playtonic over a bunch of people I can't find something recognizable about. So that's how they fall short, sadly, because a lot of people feel the same way as me. So maybe Crowdfunding isn't the best option.

I think the 1st/2nd/3rd Party developers (GameFreak, Platinum, Clover, Rare, etc etc) of bigger companies need to express interest in genre revivals, so that their Parent Companies (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony) could get actual funding going on that isn't dependent on a kickstarter.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 06:17:09 PM »
That's what I'm thinking of.  If Yooka-Laylee can generate this kind of interest from a crowdfunding effort, hopefully the bigger companies will take notice and make more products (or make products again) in that area.  Nothing like a proven market to sell things to to argue for the development of a product.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.