Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens  (Read 2338 times)

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 12:07:51 AM »
^ I agree in that I was pleasantly surprised by Abrams' direction of the movie considering the Star Trek ones. I thought TFA was absolutely amazing, and I can't wait for the next part!

I'm really hoping Rey isn't Luke's daughter or related to the Skywalkers like this--I think that would be too...trite, I guess? I dunno, maybe too much like a cop-out. I saw some speculation that maybe she's related to Obi-Wan and I think that would be cool. I'm also shipping Poe and Finn, so that's a thing.
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 05:00:05 AM »
more spoilers, in reply to Bomba (click to show/hide)I don't understand how it would be trite or a cop-out. In fact, Rey not a Skywalker would be more of a cop-out considering how important Rey's lineage was made out to be by everyone working on TFA before the movie even came out. Heck The whole movie was about Rey's power and connection to The original trio and the Skywalker line in general, I can't see her as anything but a Skywalker. Also, Obi-Wan doesn't make much sense considering how big a deal was made not to fall in love and get married and the outcome that came from Obi-Wan's own Padawan breaking that rule.

And I'm gonna be frank, I really don't see how Poe and Finn's relationship was made any more important or special than Finn and Rey's so I don't understand why people ship Poe and Finn. No offense, Bomba, just my opinion. That being said I'd take it over Rey/Kylo which some people are also shipping, because that's basically Anakin/Padme 2.0 and we all know how that went. Honestly, I've never been all that invested in romance in Star Wars anyways.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 05:11:39 AM »
more spoiler-y things (click to show/hide)I feel like Kylo Ren being revealed as Han/Leia spawn was the big familial reveal. To do so again with Rey being a Skywalker would be, at this point, one giant cliche--and I truly hope they would have planned to take it in a different direction than that. I see no reasons why the Skywalkers have to be the only powerful family in the galaxy. With that said, I believe there will be some previous connection to them, but I'd be disappointed if Rey turns out to be directly related to the extended Skywalker clan. It's a tired trope.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 05:18:52 AM by bombalurima »

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 08:53:24 AM »
More spoilery stuff under the cut in response to Bomba and Fenix, but more Bomba (click to show/hide)I understand what you mean in saying that the Skywalker's can't be the only family in the universe so strong with the force, but there is just way too many things in TFA that point to Rey being a Skywalker. She shares some of the same traits that both Anakin and Luke have. She's brave, she's loyal, she's a great pilot and she's a quick thinker. Not to mention the whole scene where she finds Anakin's Light sabre in Maz's storage. The way Maz reacts to her finding the weapon is almost a big flashing sign as to who she is. I know this isn't entirely accurate, but I believe her words were something along the lines of "That weapon belonged to Anakin Skywalker, who passed it down to Luke. Now it find's its way to...." in which she points to Rey. She even had flashbacks of Luke's battle with Vader in The Empire Strikes Back simply from touching the weapon.

Throughout the entire Star Wars Sage, one of the big underlying tones is how strong the Skywalker's are with the force. It's the reason Anakin was seen as the chosen one, and the reason why Luke was the Hero in the original trilogy. Kylo Ren even notices it in her when he tries to extract information from her using the force and she over powers him. It's not completely far fetched to think that she is Luke's daughter.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:55:46 AM by Schmitty »
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »
Even more spoilery stuff. (click to show/hide)It wouldn't surprise me if she was related to the Skywalkers, but I can't say I'm crazy about the idea either.

What's also interesting is that the TFA people said that Rey's lineage probably wasn't who we thought...which makes me wonder. Because tons of people were guessing Luke's daughter...so maybe she's not, after all. Of course, it's all speculation at this point, but nevertheless, it's interesting.

I hadn't thought about the Obi-Wan thing, but I actually find that interesting? Obi-Wan was taken before he was a year old, so it doesn't even have to mean that she's directly related to him--just somewhere in that family. It would also make for interesting parallels with Kylo Ren, IMO--though hopefully to very different conclusions.

Or she can be related to another family entirely. Basically, waiting for the next films, is TORTURE, REGARDLESS.

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 02:33:59 PM »
(click to show/hide)Well; to clarify--I think it's completely plausible that Rey is a Skywalker, and I can certainly see how they would have been setting it up in the movie. I just personally wouldn't like that, and honestly, it could be something of a red herring because right now it just looks way too glaringly obvious. I would just like to see them take it a different and newer direction.

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 07:40:48 PM »
More spoiled stuff. (click to show/hide)I could see Rey being a Skywalker.  What I saw in the movie made sense regarding that.  And if Rey wound up not being a Skywalker, well, that'd be okay too.

I like the Rey/Finn dynamic.  It doesn't have to be romantic; I like it just where it is, as a strong, sprung-up friendship.

Regarding that "lightsaber of Anakin's", it makes me wonder, and maybe somebody can provide an explanation: that lightsaber is blue, and looks a lot like the one from the original Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back movies.  Problem with that, though, is it's kinda like Sokka's boomerang from the ATLA finale--Luke lost that lightsaber when Vader chopped his hand off.  So somebody recovered it, then, after it fell down into that... technochasm?

I found one thing that Finn said rather interesting; he said he was "taken away from a family he never knew", which makes me think that happened when he was a child.  I find that interesting because that's what the Ottoman Empire used to do--they'd take children away from conquered peoples and reeducate them.  The best and brightest found their way into the bureaucracy, the rest went into the elite Janissary infantry.  That feels very plausible; I could see the Empire doing that, and the First Order.

One other thing... was mention ever made of the Republic fleet being destroyed during the movie?  I know that's one thing the baddies wanted to do, but did it ever take place?  For that matter, why a "Resistance" to the First Order while the Republic still stands?

Offline bearboymcg

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 72
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
(click to show/hide)wherewulf,the entire star system that the Republic resided in was obliterated by that weapon,so I would think that the Republic's fleet wouldn't have survived.Also,I didn't understand why they called themselves the Resistance either.

That Rey being related to Obi Wan theory sounds pretty interesting:) It would be unexpected and would be cool see:)

Beautiful Kataang set made by my Secret Santa:D

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 11:11:52 PM »
spoilers, probably getting redundant[quote author=Sailor_Tenchi link=topic=3781.msg86669#msg86669 date=1451396495 (click to show/hide)
Even more spoilery stuff. (click to show/hide)It wouldn't surprise me if she was related to the Skywalkers, but I can't say I'm crazy about the idea either.

What's also interesting is that the TFA people said that Rey's lineage probably wasn't who we thought...which makes me wonder. Because tons of people were guessing Luke's daughter...so maybe she's not, after all. Of course, it's all speculation at this point, but nevertheless, it's interesting.

I hadn't thought about the Obi-Wan thing, but I actually find that interesting? Obi-Wan was taken before he was a year old, so it doesn't even have to mean that she's directly related to him--just somewhere in that family. It would also make for interesting parallels with Kylo Ren, IMO--though hopefully to very different conclusions.

Or she can be related to another family entirely. Basically, waiting for the next films, is TORTURE, REGARDLESS.
[/quote]

(click to show/hide)I think more at the beginning were thinking she'd be Han and Leia's daughter so it was probably in reply to that. I think that changed as we started getting more info, trailers, and spoilers. Or the surprise could be who the mother is at least.

Also I think it being a red herring to Rey being Luke's would be a terrible idea. I don't see the point in making it so obvious that she's a Skywalker only to have it be negated. That's a huge betrayal to fans who support and are convinced she's a Skywalker, and trust me when I say that the majority of SW fans want her to be.

You know, I don't really recall Kylo Ren's familial reveal being actually that big of a surprise, I mean that was everywhere on the net. Didn't we learn about that pretty early on in the movie anyways?

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 05:14:28 AM »
Spoilers obviously (click to show/hide)Kylo Ren's familial reveal wasn't that huge. It was more mentioned in an offhand "Sure you can do it? He is your dad after all." kind of way and while shocking, it wasn't like this big event that made you question everything in the film. It didn't have near the impact in finding out that Darth Vader was Luke's father. So no, I don't believe that Kylo's familial reveal was the big one we were told about.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:13:57 AM by Schmitty »
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2015, 05:19:33 AM »
(click to show/hide)Nevertheless, I think it would be a bad idea for Rey to be Luke's daughter (not in the least because it pretty much raises more questions than it answers).  If that's the way they want to go, then fine, but there's far better that could be done there. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2015, 05:41:41 AM »
Can I first just say how cool it is, Schmitty, that we're on the same page. I don't recall us agreeing a lot in the past. XD

spoilers, this is getting redundant (click to show/hide)
I disagree that it's a bad idea and that it'd be better for her not to be related, but I think I've just spent a lot of time with the Star Wars fandom that they really warmed me up to the idea of Rey being a Skywalker. If I hadn't been on that Star Wars forum for several months I might think the same as you. Heck the purpose of the second movie in a trilogy is usually to answer questions while raising even more anyways. But I don't think we'll be coming to an agreement on this matter any time soon so we should probably just drop it for now. We should just focus on how awesome Rey is as what we know about her currently.

Also, I dunno if you guys have heard but the movie hit 1 billion in only 12 freaking days! How awesome is that?! 8D Really hope it pushes Avatar off it's throne, something needs to and what better than the 30 year sequel to one of the biggest film franchises in the world?

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2015, 05:56:27 AM »
The Spoilers Awaken (click to show/hide)But, by the time the trailer was released, there was that voice-over that stated, "My sister has it," which led fans to believe Luke was her father. While it'd be a surprise for the characters, it just doesn't seem surprising for the audience. Perhaps they are going with the former, but lack for the latter is what doesn't have me completely sold. What's also interesting is that Maz notes that what Rey's looking for isn't in the past--that it's in the future.

As for a betrayal...I wouldn't actually doubt that of Star Wars--in the original trilogy, the reveal made Luke/Leia incestuous, I mean. XD Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a boss, force-usin', female Skywalker, but it seems suspect.

Kylo Ren was a surprise in my theater. I think most people were so curious about Rey's lineage, they forgot to question Kylo Ren's.

...and Rey is surprised about all the stories she heard being true, so why would that be if Luke was her father?

Sorry for beating any dead horses, I just like speculating. ^^;

---

But yes, I've been waiting for that to happen, and I'd be glad for it to be Star Wars. XD

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2015, 06:12:44 AM »
In all honesty Fenix, I don't even remember us interacting that much in the past anyway.

(click to show/hide)But yes, we're obviously going to have differing opinions on the matter of Rey's lineage, so let us drop it and instead focus on the awesomeness of the film.

Is anyone else in love with the TR-8R meme going around the fandom? I swear I'm seeing it everywhere and in the weirdest places. Hell, I was watching a YouTube video which had nothing to do with Star Wars, and in the comments I find this gem

It's so random and I honestly love it.

And yes, $1 Billion in 12 days is just insane. To be honest though the movie deserves every cent. I think JJ Abrams did an amazing job on the film.
Spread the Katara angle!

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2015, 07:06:02 AM »
Maybe not a ton but I recall getting into a small argument before with you and maybe a couple others, especially while I was a mod.

The Spoilers Awaken (click to show/hide)But, by the time the trailer was released, there was that voice-over that stated, "My sister has it," which led fans to believe Luke was her father. While it'd be a surprise for the characters, it just doesn't seem surprising for the audience. Perhaps they are going with the former, but lack for the latter is what doesn't have me completely sold. What's also interesting is that Maz notes that what Rey's looking for isn't in the past--that it's in the future.

As for a betrayal...I wouldn't actually doubt that of Star Wars--in the original trilogy, the reveal made Luke/Leia incestuous, I mean. XD Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind a boss, force-usin', female Skywalker, but it seems suspect.

Kylo Ren was a surprise in my theater. I think most people were so curious about Rey's lineage, they forgot to question Kylo Ren's.

...and Rey is surprised about all the stories she heard being true, so why would that be if Luke was her father?

Sorry for beating any dead horses, I just like speculating. ^^;

---

But yes, I've been waiting for that to happen, and I'd be glad for it to be Star Wars. XD

(click to show/hide)Rey is surprised because she has amnesia, remember how confused and scared she was when she touched the lightsaber and had that flashback of herself as a little girl? She obviously did not remember that memory, even asked what she just saw if I recall correctly. All she seems to know is that whoever her parents were one or both of them said they'd meet her again on Jakku, but she never mentioned who they were just that she was waiting for them. So that's not really evidence against Luke being her father if she doesn't remember anyways about her past.

I haven't heard about that meme yet surprisingly, most of what I've seen is that stormtrooper dancing. XD But I dig this meme.

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2016, 05:06:57 AM »
So fun fact, after 20 days at the Box Office, 'The Force Awakens' has now surpassed James Cameron's 'Avatar' as the highest grossing film of all time in North America.
Spread the Katara angle!

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2016, 06:05:22 PM »
So fun fact, after 20 days at the Box Office, 'The Force Awakens' has now surpassed James Cameron's 'Avatar' as the highest grossing film of all time in North America.
that is awesome :D

the doctor is out...

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:15 PM »
that is awesome :D
Cleansing.  :D

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.