Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
« on: April 21, 2015, 11:56:33 PM »
I know we already have a slightly old Star Wars thread, but I thought this new movie deserved its own thread.

It has two Teaser Trailers so far. One just uploaded last week, and if you didn't already know that then congratulations, you're officially living under a rock.

Teaser #1-
[youtube]https://youtu.be/OMOVFvcNfvE[/youtube]

Teaser #2-
[youtube]https://youtu.be/ngElkyQ6Rhs[/youtube]

I hope these links work, because it ain't showing up on my preview.
Anyways, let's talk the movie shall we? Urgh, there isn't a ton of info we know so far. I might know a little more than you guys, cuz I've been perusing a Star Wars forum, but it's still just a little.

Okay, why the frick is this not working?!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:46:34 AM by Fenix »

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what happens and where this goes.  Since J.J. Abrams is directing it, I wonder how many lens flares it'll have, too.  :D

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Forrce Awakens
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:49 AM »
People and their problems with Lens Flare. -shakes head-

I don't know much so far but I know the names of the characters.

John Boyega - Finn (Black Stormtrooper guy)
Daisy Ridley - Rey (A lot of speculation that she might be a Solo or Skywalker)
Oscar Isaac - Poe Dameron (Rebel dude in X-Wing)

I dunno if I should tell you who Kylo Ren is though, just know that he's the main villain with the weird red lightsaber.

Also the round droid is called BB8. Something super cool about him is that he is a real practical effect, no idea how he works though.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »
Well, what can I say?  I saw a lot of it in Star Trek and Star Trek: Into Darkness, and JJ's directing this one, so... yeah.

And I'm sorry, but I have to:

I don't know much so far but I know the names of the characters.

John Boyega - Finn (Black Stormtrooper guy)
Daisy Ridley - Rey (A lot of speculation that she might be a Solo or Skywalker)

I'm seeing an Adventure Time/Gunnerkrigg Court mashup here.  :)

And re BB-8, I'm guessing... strong magnets and a gyroscope, maybe.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 09:56:09 PM »
I certainly can't blame ya, although I wasn't all that bugged by the lens flare. I just think it's a joke that's gonna get real old and tired soon and I feel like that's all people remember about JJ despite the fact that he also worked on other stuff like Lost and Fringe.
I think with Trek JJ did the lens flare stuff to make everything seem shiny, bright, and new, and futuristic. Star Wars isn't like that and it seems like he's heavily using elements from the original trilogy which felt more used, dirty, old, etc. You know what I'm saying I'm sure. So I don't feel we'll be getting much lens flare here.
Abrams has a thing about giving each of his franchises their own distinct style,  so I have faith he'll do the same for SW.

You're not the first one to make an Adventure Time connection, There's someone on a SW forum I've been visiting recently that has an icon with Finn from SW wearing Finn's hat from AT. It was pretty ingenious.

As for Rey, we're not even sure if that's her real name or at least first name.

Magnets for BB-8 could be a possibility. My other thought was controlled fans on the bottom of his head.

Offline Light-Eco-Sage

• Addicted To Kataang!
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 25
    • Sage's Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 03:09:06 AM »
Let me just say first that I'm not a super-duper Star Wars nerd. That said, I am pretty darn excited for this movie to come out in December. In my case, not being a super Star Wars nerd might actually be working in my favor. Because most of the complaints that I've heard are centered on Disney chucking out the Extended Universe. And since I've never read one word of the extended universe, I'm perfectly fine. :)

I'm just ready to enjoy a great science fiction/but-mostly-fantasy movie!

A:TLA Keeps:
Aang's Confession of Love in "The Guru"
Aang's Imaginary Wind-Sword in "Sokka's Master"
Aang's Chakras
Aang's Scars
Kataang Sexytimes
TLoK Keeps
Adult!Aang's Handsomeness
Jinora's Personality
Lin's Epic Way of Getting Dressed

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 03:50:42 AM »
I'm not super Star Was nerd either, and I'm really excited as well.

And actually I've been on a Star Wars forum for the past week and actually most people seem more happy about the new movie than upset because of the Expanded Universe being dead. Sure there are some EU fans that are mad, but that's their own fault for getting attached and treating it like canon instead of what it really is: Published fan fiction.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 05:20:56 AM »
Sure there are some EU fans that are mad, but that's their own fault for getting attached and treating it like canon instead of what it really is: Published fan fiction.
That's kind of mean considering for the past decade George Lucas gave his seal of approval to the expanded universe as being canon.

I'm not a big super fan either, but I don't think people feeling slightly cheated is totally unjustified. I do agree that it's definitely for the best, as it would be ridiculous to expect people to keep up with decades of storylines just going into a new trilogy, but I can sympathize with people who've been reading (what I hear are) really well-written stories and characters for some time only to have them suddenly not actually exist anymore. That's days, even weeks, of their lives that are suddenly stripped of in-universe impact. It'd be like Nickelodeon announcing that Korra wasn't actually a continuation of Avatar and that none of it mattered and they were going to start a new series that completely ignored it. Sure, it might turn out better, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't sting to hear that all of that investment went into something that was fake. Especially when the original creators had explicitly said it was indeed canonical.

It was the right decision, but I don't blame those fans for a second if they feel slighted in any way.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »
Sure there are some EU fans that are mad, but that's their own fault for getting attached and treating it like canon instead of what it really is: Published fan fiction.
That's kind of mean considering for the past decade George Lucas gave his seal of approval to the expanded universe as being canon.

I'm not a big super fan either, but I don't think people feeling slightly cheated is totally unjustified. I do agree that it's definitely for the best, as it would be ridiculous to expect people to keep up with decades of storylines just going into a new trilogy, but I can sympathize with people who've been reading (what I hear are) really well-written stories and characters for some time only to have them suddenly not actually exist anymore. That's days, even weeks, of their lives that are suddenly stripped of in-universe impact. It'd be like Nickelodeon announcing that Korra wasn't actually a continuation of Avatar and that none of it mattered and they were going to start a new series that completely ignored it. Sure, it might turn out better, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't sting to hear that all of that investment went into something that was fake. Especially when the original creators had explicitly said it was indeed canonical.

It was the right decision, but I don't blame those fans for a second if they feel slighted in any way.

I don't think George Lucas gave his seal of approval so much as just let them be. I've heard a lot of different things about Lucas, but one was that he never considered the EU canon, so I wouldn't assume that he let it be canon when we don't really know how he felt. This is the same guy who kept going back an d forth between how many episode he planned in the series. First he'd be like "oh there was always gonna be 9 movies" then later on he'd say "there were only meant to be 6" then back to 9, then to 6 again and sometimes even 12, etc.  Not to mention "The story was about Luke" to later on claiming it was always Anakin's journey. I trust that guy as far as I can throw him. If he really did consider the EU canon he wouldn't have sold it to Disney in the first place.

Look I don't blame the EU fans either, but some are being incredibly immature about it. They're hating on Disney and won't even take a second to understand the fact that the people working on the movies don't want to be tied down to this huge series and want some creative freedom. I can't explain it well, but I've spent some time with the fandom recently and I know what I've seen and it's ridiculous at times to me. I get them being mad I do, but completely writing of JJ Abrams is not fair. He's one of the few people with Disney right now who cares enough about the fans and the franchise to try and bring Star Wars back to its glory days. I just wish they would give him a chance.

I probably shouldn't have called it fan fiction, but unless Lucas decided up front that there'd be no more movies after ROTJ instead of flip flopping all the time, then the EU should never have been considered canon. That man changed his mind too much and that's not fair to any Star Wars fan.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 07:00:24 AM »
George Lucas feels like a guy who Forrest Gump'd his way into film history and actually has no idea what he's doing.
<< Post Merge: April 27, 2015, 08:10:55 AM >>

He started off with interesting ideas and perspectives that a bunch of people reigned in and helped make narratively cohesive, then he was left to his own devices with more influence than he knew what to do with and he kind of just flip-flopped all over the place like a fish.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:10:55 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
I think the makers of Star Wars VII would be darned if they do and darned if they don't, from the sound of it.  If they included the Expanded Universe, they'd get blasted by those who consider only the movies to be canon; since they didn't, they're getting hate from those who do like the EU.

I think it was the right decision, though.  If every new Star Trek movie had to be in canon with every Star Trek novel ever made, it'd result in a very arduously-made, not very entertaining bowl of spaghetti.  They borrowed Alexander's solution for the Gordian knot.  Makes sense.  So long as they produce a good story that's in canon with the movies, I think the majority will be happy.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
I feel like what they're gonna do is take the best ideas from the EU that fit well with their plan and incorporate them, that way everyone can be happy and really good ideas and characters don't go to waste. Apparently one of the characters in one of the cartoons was originally from the EU but was brought into canon again because he was too awesome to get rid of. That feels like a nice balance, taking inspiration from decades of trial and error, yet being able to make something anyone could understand and enjoy.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:45 PM »
I feel like what they're gonna do is take the best ideas from the EU that fit well with their plan and incorporate them, that way everyone can be happy and really good ideas and characters don't go to waste. Apparently one of the characters in one of the cartoons was originally from the EU but was brought into canon again because he was too awesome to get rid of. That feels like a nice balance, taking inspiration from decades of trial and error, yet being able to make something anyone could understand and enjoy.

It won't be some AU of the EU of course where they take a big portion of the books and stick them into the movies while adding their own little snippets to change things up, but yeah I think you're basically on the money that they will be incorporating some ideas from the EU. Whether it will make everyone happy though is hard to say. The Star Wars fandom is so massive with all its different form of media that everyone is so divided on opinions and what they're into. Some people love the OT and the PT, some despise the PT. Some love the EU, some don't. Some like the cartoons, some don't. You get what I'm saying.   It's the same with the new movies or the ST (sequel trilogy) as they're calling it. I would say more are excited for the movies than not though which is great.

Oh and don't even get me started on the so called fans who b*tch about a black guy in the lead or how he's not handsome enough. That's mostly IMDB though so that's hard to say if they're really fans or just trolls. But I've seen pictures of Boyega and Daisy and they seem like really cool fun people who have great chemistry as friends and like some great actors. If there's one thing I have faith in, it's Abrams skill at picking actors. He nailed it in Star Trek.

Honestly, I'm still of the opinion that Daisy (Rey) is going to be the lead.
<< Post Merge: April 27, 2015, 10:49:04 PM >>

George Lucas feels like a guy who Forrest Gump'd his way into film history and actually has no idea what he's doing.
<< Post Merge: April 27, 2015, 08:10:55 AM >>

He started off with interesting ideas and perspectives that a bunch of people reigned in and helped make narratively cohesive, then he was left to his own devices with more influence than he knew what to do with and he kind of just flip-flopped all over the place like a fish.

Yep, I'd say that sums Lucas up perfectly. I don't understand what led him to be this contradicting in everything.

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 04:04:43 AM »
WAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

so like
i just walked out of the theater about an hour ago
i'm still in a daze
oh my god
it is SO. FREAKING. GOOD!!!!

the doctor is out...

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 04:46:56 AM »
I've heard it's good, I wanna see it so badly!

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 09:48:49 AM »
*IMPERSONATING THE ENTIRE MOVIE SOMEHOW, BUT IN VADER'S VOICE*

I

AM

YOUR EMOTIONS.

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
*IMPERSONATING THE ENTIRE MOVIE SOMEHOW, BUT IN VADER'S VOICE*

I

AM

YOUR EMOTIONS.

this is accurate

the doctor is out...

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »
WAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

so like
i just walked out of the theater about an hour ago
i'm still in a daze
oh my god
it is SO. FREAKING. GOOD!!!!

One gets the feeling that Water likes the movie.  :D

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 02:59:21 AM »
Saw the movie on Christmas Eve. Freaking loved it!!! Gonna talk about it a tad in spoilers.

Major Force Awakens spoilers (click to show/hide)
Rey was everything I wanted her to be and more, I had great hope in her acting abilities despite not having many roles that showed her off and she exceeded my expectations. She was amazing, badass, but kind and smart, beautiful and brave, etc. Thank you so much JJ Abrams for giving us a female main character. Seriously, I'm a little in love with her (both Daisy and Rey) and I'm not even a bit afraid to admit it. Not much more to say about her other than I'm pretty sure she's Luke's daughter and I kinda dig how powerful she is.

Finn, I just freaking adored him. He was a very endearing ever-day man kinda character and I loved it. He reminded me a ton of Sokka and Bolin. He was so funny. I loved how much faith he had in Rey and just completely respected her. He went to a lot of lengths to save her from the First Order and I feel we need more characters like him. I know some people felt he was treated like some comic relief guy who gets kicked around all the time, but I didn't see that at all. He was very brave and although not the best fighter was able to hold his own when it counted. Most of the characters seemed to like him. He was a very likeable, relatable, all around well developed unique character and I think Boyega did a fantastic job on him. 

I have to get this off my chest though. Two of my brothers felt Finn wasn't that important of a character and a pansy. This really pissed me off and is complete bull. First of all he was the second main character after all, Rey's partner throughout the whole movie, the guy who freaking saved Poe's life, helped get the map to the resistance, and let's not forget was the whole reason the Starkiller got destroyed. He was incredibly important and he's gonna continuing being a big deal throughout the rest of the trilogy. And I can't think of a moment that showed Finn was a pansy. Yes he was hesitant to fight the First Order but since he was a stormtrooper and saw their power I can't completely blame him when there didn't seem to be a force big enough to stop them. Sure he walked away from that at first because he himself didn't seem strong enough but he fought tooth and nail against his own struggles to save Rey and even fought Kylo Ren for her sake. There, I'm done.

Speaking of the two, Rey and Finn's chemistry was great. Way better than I thought it would be. Seriously Abram's nailed it again. Those two worked so well together and I loved their interactions and moments. They only knew eachother a few days, but their connection was evident. I talked about how much Rey meant to Finn but it was definitely obvious she cared about him just as much. I'm not sure what direction they'll take with the pair, whether it be romantic or a strong friendship but I'm up for anything because I know these two could pull it off amazingly. They make such a good team.

Poe was cool, liked him a lot. Not much to say there other than he had more of a role than I expected and I hope he gets a bit more development next movie.

Kylo Ren was a pretty good villain, he's no Darth Vader and still has a lot to learn but I can see him becoming a force to be reckoned with. Another good actor they picked.

Okay so I'll admit I knew a ton of spoilers about this movie, but Snoke completely threw me, I knew the name but I had no idea the role he was getting, but he seems creepy as heck and I'm impressed by how they kept him secret and I think in the end he'll be the real big bad.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
Well, I saw the thing yesterday.

Some spoilers below. (click to show/hide)I liked it, but it didn't really blow me away the way I thought it might the way some people were talking about it.  I'm all right with that.  I will admit, I am a Trekkie, but I didn't bring that bias with me into the movie.  :D  I wanted to see it for what it was.

It really surprised me that... (click to show/hide)
Jar Jar Binks pulled a "Wizard of Oz" with Supreme Leader Snoke and was the "man behind the curtain." (click to show/hide)Just kidding.  XDD  What really surprised me was how they had Kylo Ren, Han Solo's son, kill Han Solo.  The moment they both walked out onto that bridge, I wondered--and expected the major lightsaber battle of the movie to happen then--but even when it happened I was surprised.  I was hoping we would see more of Han Solo in the movies to come.  Of course, I suppose the possibility of a Force-image Han Solo is still there.

I still came away with the feeling that Indiana Jones was playing the role of Han Solo.  Yes, Harrison Ford did a good job, again, as Solo, but I just couldn't shake the look.  It still felt to me like Indy was at the Falcon's controls.

I was also surprised that I didn't hear any overall musical theme for the movie, the way you did with the original Star Wars movie (Episode IV), then with The Empire Strikes Back, then again with The Phantom Menace.  This begins a new trilogy.  I honestly expected to hear a new theme mixed in with all the retreads.  I'm afraid we got just retreads.  I did hear something different come in during the credits, but I had to leave, so I didn't hear that to completion.

I was pleased to see no J.J. Abrams-trademark lensflare.  That was so annoying in both of the Star Trek reboot movies.  I did have to chuckle, though, when the Starkiller got blown up.  Number one, J.J. started his Star Trek movies by blowing up Vulcan, so here he is blowing up another planet, and number two, this would be boring as reading a phone book, but you'd think the bad guys would start thinking about the economic costs of building yet another big planetkiller.  This is getting ridiculous.

More to come, but I also felt the movie was a bit slow getting started.  After all the big splash, I expected more than Rey scavenging stuff from a Star Destroyer, sliding down, and riding on an antigrav-laden popsicle.  I stayed patient, but I was still thinking, "Okay, so who is this now?  Where is all this going on?  Tattooine?  No, just one sun.  Where are we?"

Oh, and one other J.J. Abrams-related twist: J.J. took the Star Trek franchise and made it much more actiony, maybe too much ("Pewpewpew! Pewpewpew!" go the popgun phasers.)  With this movie, he took the actiony-Star Wars franchise and made you think and wonder a lot more about what you were seeing, who was who, and what was going on.  That was a good change.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.