Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Poll

Who do you think of when you think of Albus Dumbledore?

Richard Harris
1 (25%)
Michael Gambon
1 (25%)
Some of both
1 (25%)
Someone else
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: The Role of Dumbledore: Richard Harris, Michael Gambon, or Someone Else?  (Read 1245 times)

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
When you read about Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter, what was the image that came to mind?

Did Richard Harris look and act like who you thought Dumbledore would be when he played Dumbledore in the movies?  Did Michael Gambon?  Do you think someone else should have played Dumbledore?  Who?

What do you think?

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
I think that as the story went on, Michael Gambon began to fit the character more. He's an intimidating presence who's not just wise but also manipulative and capable of getting his way. Harris was great at capturing the perception young Harry would have of Dumbledore and I imagine Harris is the person movie!Harry thinks about when he swears loyalty to Dumbledore: a fantastical wiseman from his youth with a twinkle in his eye.

Gambon's Dumbledore is very much the man behind the silly socks and poofy hat. Harris portraying Dumbledore in the final film would've felt very much more like a betrayal, where with Gambon it felt natural but in a good way where it served to make it feel in-character and believable.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Gotta agree with Av there. There's also the fact that there were some actions scenes given to Dumbledore that I don't think Harris could've been able to do, even if he had still been alive to play the role.

Harris may have very much been mine and many visions of what Dumbledore looked like and even acted like in the very beginning of the franchise, but as the story went by I get the feeling his role as Dumbledore might feel out of place. I dunno, maybe it's because he just looks too kind and was a bit too quiet. I mean it's possible that he could've enhanced Dumbledore to fit as he was in the later books but it's hard to imagine.

Gambon was a little odd at first replacing Harris. I remember not liking him much in the 3rd movie, and he overdid it in the 4th one a tad. (to be fair that movie had a lot of problems) But once the 5th one rolled around he seemed more comfortable and more natural, and then in the 6th one he was just flat out amazing. Eventually things just clicked and he fit as Dumbledore liked he'd always had that role. Gambon's personality really is a lot like what we learn Dumbledore personality really is. I think Harris could've have maybe done well with the darker side of Dumbledore, but I don't think he would've pulled it off quite like Gambon. Gambon in the role really brought out the conviction, the guilt, the sorrow, etc. Because Gambon is a little more serious, he was able to portray that and really do justice to the role that is the complexity of the character.

Also this:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:16:04 AM by Fenix »

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Crystle

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 46
    • DA
Here I sit thinking Sir Ian Mckellen would have made a fantastic Dumbledore after Harris passed away, but that's also fairly typecasty of me because GANDALF and it never would have happened. Heh.

But I did prefer Harris as Dumbledore. It just felt right. Gambon didn't even strike me as Dumbledore until 6, which is upsetting because he did a fantastic job in HBP toning it down and being secretive and all that.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
That would've been awesome. Ian Mckellen was who I was hoping for the role myself. I was probably typecasting as a Lord of Thing Rings "Fanboy" as well. (I say that because I wasn't typically a fangirl for LOTR. XD)

To be fair, at least in the 5th one he wasn't in it a ton. If he had given more to do, he may have done a great job. That being said his phoenix disappearing act and fight with Voldemort were awesome. 4 was really the only one he didn't do a great job at and was too angry. As I said though that movie had a lot of problem so it might not have been completely his fault.

People also get down on Gambon for not reading the books. I actually just read the reason why and it's kinda interesting. It also mentions why his version of Dumbledore is different from Harris's. Let's see if I can find it. Here it is. Scroll down to the answer that mentions wiki quotes. http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/47468/why-did-alfonso-cuaron-change-dumbledores-attire-and-personality-for-the-third

Offline Av

• Knockout!
Then again, I do wonder what amazing performance we might've missed out on from Richard Harris. That one single scene in Sorceror's Stome where he demanded silence in the Great Hall after Quirrel raved about the troll in the dungeon was bone-chilling and incredible. He did have that presence hidden underneath and he may very well have been able to pull it off later on. And again, maybe that sense of betrayal in later parts of the story was what was intended.

It's a sad situation, unfortunately.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
Indeed. Unfortunately we'll never know. That being said, after getting used too Gambon's voice, I'm not a huge fan of Harris' raspy voice.

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
I think that as the story went on, Michael Gambon began to fit the character more. He's an intimidating presence who's not just wise but also manipulative and capable of getting his way. Harris was great at capturing the perception young Harry would have of Dumbledore and I imagine Harris is the person movie!Harry thinks about when he swears loyalty to Dumbledore: a fantastical wiseman from his youth with a twinkle in his eye.

Gambon's Dumbledore is very much the man behind the silly socks and poofy hat. Harris portraying Dumbledore in the final film would've felt very much more like a betrayal, where with Gambon it felt natural but in a good way where it served to make it feel in-character and believable.

I agree here. I was always a little torn about Gambon being Dumbledore and I definitely preferred Harris when I was younger because Harris was always very soft spoken and nice and had that twinkle in his eye; but that was definitely not the kind of person we found out Dumbledore was. Harris was perfect for the roll when we all thought he was this wonderful man who could do no wrong, but as the movies went on we saw more of the dark side to Dumbledore and Gambon captured that really well. I try to imagine Harris in the cave scene with the potion and it seems odd to me for some reason xD

~Set by me~

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
I've changed the poll so that "Some of both" is an option; I think the votes can be changed, if you're interested.

Then again, I do wonder what amazing performance we might've missed out on from Richard Harris. That one single scene in Sorceror's Stome where he demanded silence in the Great Hall after Quirrel raved about the troll in the dungeon was bone-chilling and incredible. He did have that presence hidden underneath and he may very well have been able to pull it off later on. And again, maybe that sense of betrayal in later parts of the story was what was intended.

It's a sad situation, unfortunately.

That's one thing I think about.  I admit I haven't seen Richard Harris' other work other than Gladiator, but he looked spot-on for Dumbledore in the first two movies.  I did get the feeling that his Dumbledore always had something up his sleeve, especially when he was dealing with Jason Isaacs' Lucius Malfoy.  While he was the quiet, twinkling-eyed old man, there was also something very formidable there.  I think his interpretation of the later Dumbledore would have been very interesting.

I agree with FenixRoy too about Michael Gambon; I feel like he took a while to get used to the role, and he really overdid it in Goblet of Fire, but he did become Dumbledore eventually.  I didn't know that he hadn't read the books, though.  That's interesting.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
I feel like his acting choices in Goblet of Fire actually made him more likable in hindsight, and also more like a real person who actually had plans. The idea of him being unfazed by Harry's name being in the goblet of fire, especially considering what the overall plan was for Harry, makes little sense. He should be very concerned, especially considering Harry's also an underage student whose been forced into a deadly tournament.

Maybe that's just my perspective, but it's the one scene everyone seems to latch onto, and it was a rather human moment that didn't ring false to me. The fact that he very obviously cared that much made him way more identifiable and even sympathetic because that's how he should respond as a concerned adult.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
I can't disagree with that, but I do think he could've toned it down just a little bit at least. But that scene with Harry is honestly the only time I was bothered, the other times he was loud and/or angry were really justified in my opinion and practical. Have you seen the video that compares the two Dumbledores? (Dumbledore vs Dumbledore) It's absolutely ridiculous how biased it was and a lot of those times he was loud because he kinda had to be. And when he was angry he also had every right to be.

Take the scene when he confronts Umbridge when she tries to kick Trelawny out for example. Of course he'd be irritated and would speak out against her. She was getting rid of the teachers of HIS school. That Biatch felt the need to take matters into her own hands just because she's from the ministry. Albus had to put his foot down and show her that she's not above the rules of the school and can't do whatever she likes cuz he's the boss, not her. He had to sound authoritative.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
Here I sit thinking Sir Ian Mckellen would have made a fantastic Dumbledore after Harris passed away, but that's also fairly typecasty of me because GANDALF and it never would have happened. Heh.

But I did prefer Harris as Dumbledore. It just felt right. Gambon didn't even strike me as Dumbledore until 6, which is upsetting because he did a fantastic job in HBP toning it down and being secretive and all that.

Has anybody asked Sir Ian how he might have approached the role of Dumbledore?  How he might have made him different from Gandalf?

And let me throw this in there: could you see Christopher Lee or Bernard Hill as Dumbledore?  :D

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
Re: The Role of Dumbledore: Richard Harris, Michael Gambon, or Someone Else?
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 01:00:18 AM »
Ian McKellen
Set by Waterlady

Offline HughWottmeight86

• u wot m8?
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 1
  • I just want to be mentally healthly
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »

Has anybody asked Sir Ian how he might have approached the role of Dumbledore?  How he might have made him different from Gandalf?

And let me throw this in there: could you see Christopher Lee or Bernard Hill as Dumbledore?  :D

Sir Ian McKellen actually shot down any hope of him playing the role because Richard Harris despised the way Sir Ian acted. So Sir Ian thought it would be an insult to his memory if he took over the role.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2253212

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
Interesting, he didn't even really consider it.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 08:05:05 PM »
Sir Ian is the ultimate actor. In his actual quote, there's a hint of all-too-human bitterness encompassed by a great amount of class.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »
He is definitely great.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.