Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Banners of my two warring sides  (Read 672 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
Banners of my two warring sides
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:50:48 AM »
These are the banners of the two opposing sides in my New Avatar fic, "Avatar: The Journey of Lan". Both made on Apple Paintbrish.

The Allied Empire of Nations:
(click to show/hide)

Yellow was a traditional color of Imperial China, Red means good fortune, and blue means immortality. The Chinese text in the blue circle means, "Mandate of Heaven", meaning Emperor Donghai sees himself as the chosen ruler of the world. This flag is based on North Korea's.

The Restoration:
(click to show/hide)

The bending symbols belong to Avatar Wiki. I drew the yin-yang and copy-pasted the characters. The characters translate as follows: Balance, Liberty, Justice, Harmony. It is on a black background because black is considered heaven's color in Chinese culture. I was originally gonna have the background in red because that's the traditional color of revolution, but it's also the color of communism and these guys aren't commies (well, some may be, but that's not the movement's ideology).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 07:30:19 PM by Lionheart »
Set by Waterlady

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
Re: Banners of my two warring sides
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 07:26:52 PM »
You could still have red; red was a popular color in China before Mao Zedong came along, the Forbidden City being a good example.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:42:24 AM »
Black is more uncommon for a flag (unless you're a pirate. XD) so I kinda like it personally.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 03:08:20 AM »
Thanks guys, but yeah, red + revolution generally equals communism in most people's minds, so black it is. Besides, Fenix is right, black is rare on a flag.
Set by Waterlady

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »
Well, nowadays we see a lot of black from ISIS.  In this case, though, I'd equate red with the Fire Nation, so probably best it's not used (as much) for something in or near the former Earth Kingdom.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.