Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Final thoughts?  (Read 890 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
Final thoughts?
« on: December 31, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »
Now that both shows are over I had time to really think about the experience because that's what these shows were, an experience. I'll try to be non-spoilery here.

Avatar: IMO, it is not just one of the best TV shows I've ever watched, but one of the best stories, animation styles, and character casts I've seen. I have no complaints about Avatar except for a few filler episodes but really, you can overlook those episodes. You always wanted to see what happens next, you cared about the characters, you got drawn into the animation (no pun intended) and the music. This is how you make a show suited for all ages. It does not talk down to its target Y7 audience and it does not alienate the teenagers or adults watching. It's also nice to see more "adult" themes in something without it being a joke for once.

Korra: Truth be told, if you're gonna see it as a sequel to Avatar, you will be disappointed. In order to fully enjoy LOK, you have to see it as a show in its own right and as you know, each season is its own story. The first season, I really enjoyed. I like that we had adult characters instead of kids or teenagers, I like the bonds Korra forms with Mako, Bolin, and Asami, and the political aspects. Hell, you all know by now that once you bring politics into something, you got me interested. However, there were two things I really hated: the pro-bending and that love triangle. I flipping hate love triangles, they are so annoying. However, the main plot was excellent with the story of Amon. While we're on the subject, what really stood out in Korra were the side characters and the villains. Each villain seemed to represent a distinct ideology.

Season 2 was awful. The love triangle was more annoying than ever, the bad guy was just a recycled version of Tarrlok only theocratic instead of plain totalitarian. The only thing I can say that I liked about it was the Miyazaki-esque backstory of Wan. I wonder if he had a hand in that particular episode. However, I found this to be an awful season and it got me saying, "You'd better have something good for me next time."

Season 3: Like I said before, what really makes this show are the side characters and the villains and both really had a chance to shine here. This is first time I actually supported the main villain's ideals. Not to the level of anarchy he was willing to take it but I have been feeling rather anti-government over the past three years. I also like the strong ending it had. Yes,the creators more than made up for that crappy second season.

Season 4: I'll be perfectly honest here. I do not not know how to feel about this season, It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything spectacular either. It was like wrapping up the plot took precedence over the plot itself. All it left me thinking was, "So...that's it? Oooo....kay...". I and most people I talked to don't know how to feel about it.

I'd rather you intend the pun.  :D  But watch the swearing please, Lion.  Thanks.  --Wulf
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:20:47 PM by Lionheart »
Set by Waterlady

Offline ignite444

• Azula's Rage
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 15
  • Ultimate Firebender
Re: Final thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
My final thoughts are kind of brief to be honest...

Avatar: My only complaint about it was the fact that the title character, Aang, got less development than the side-main character, Zuko. Aang didn't get as much development as Zuko did, which was a bit of a letdown. Yes, he DID develop through the three seasons, but not as much as Zuko. That's one reason I like LoK a lot, the title character is actually the focus of the show and the development while the supporting characters got the minor development.

And truth be told, I didn't mind the fillers in ATLA, they were used to develop the characters, which LoK desperately needed.

Korra: Well, this show suffered a lot due to short seasons and lack of filler to flesh out the plots and the characters. Had each season been given 20 episodes each (21 in season 3 for ATLA) like its predecessor, I think this show could have been 100 times better. Hell, even better than its predecessor!

Still, it was a great show and I'm gonna miss it and the Avatar universe in general. Oh well, we have the comics to look forward to!

And now, 1 word reviews for each season:

S1: Good
S2: Yuck
S3: Awesome!
S4: KORRASAMI!!!!!!

OK, I'm done. XD

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:52:56 PM »
Avatar: My only complaint about it was the fact that the title character, Aang, got less development than the side-main character, Zuko. Aang didn't get as much development as Zuko did, which was a bit of a letdown. Yes, he DID develop through the three seasons, but not as much as Zuko. That's one reason I like LoK a lot, the title character is actually the focus of the show and the development while the supporting characters got the minor development.
Zuko is one of the most interesting characters in fiction, so I can forgive the lack of main-protag developmental focus as a result.

And truth be told, I didn't mind the fillers in ATLA, they were used to develop the characters, which LoK desperately needed.
The interesting thing about Avatar is that, of the entire show, there are only two fully filler episodes (The Great Divide and The Painted Lady). Literally every other story is necessary to watch in order to have a more well developed understanding of the show's world and learn information vital to the plot. Which is brilliant. It says something very important, which is that any moment where you take the time to learn more about and grow attached to your characters is not time wasted, but incredibly valuable. Every episode other than the two listed had something essential, which is great. Korra, due to constraints, operates on the opposite principle: Keep most things essential to the plot with character development as an undercurrent.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »
And now, 1 word reviews for each season:

S1: Good
S2: Yuck
S3: Awesome!
S4: KORRASAMI!!!!!!

OK, I'm done. XD

I like this summation of the seasons of Korra  XD

I feel there are some things you could poke holes through in ATLA, but it's very solid overall; it feels to me like a story--several stories--about people, not just two-dimensional cardboard cutouts.  With Korra, yeah, you could do more hole-poking, but to me it such a driven story, nearly always moving forward, forward, forward.  It rarely stops and catches its breath  We also kinda learn about the characters in Korra but not to the same degree as we did with ATLA.  I wouldn't have minded learning more about them.

I also have to admit that I've had more time to think about ATLA than I have with Legend of Korra, so it's hard to come to "final thoughts" just yet.  :D

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »
I also have to admit that I've had more time to think about ATLA than I have with Legend of Korra, so it's hard to come to "final thoughts" just yet.  :D
You see, that's the thing though. With the finale of ATLA, I had so many things to say immediately. With Korra, it feels like there's three or four focal points and then discussion sort of just fizzles after that. If Korrasami hadn't have burst through the gates, the finale would have been rather... empty?

ATLA's finale felt like the culmination of an entire story. Korra's felt like the climax of one/fourth of a story. Granted, they're all individual stories for each season, but... still. There should be a sense of cohesive resolution that just wasn't really there to tie things together.

Hell, Season 3's finale felt more connected to the rest of the series than 4's. Season 3's ending as the series finale would have been daring and incredible. Season 4's felt like "... Then what happens?"

I'd really like to know what they could've done for the story with that episode they had taken away from them.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:01:02 PM »
Quote (selected)
Truth be told, if you're gonna see it as a sequel to Avatar, you will be disappointed. In order to fully enjoy LOK, you have to see it as a show in its own right and as you know, each season is its own story.

That is precisely it, imo. I just don't think anything compares to A:TLA. LOK was good-ish, especially if you enjoy it as a story just on its own, but I certainly don't think it lived up to its predecessor. Korra herself was a fantastic character, but I feel so many other things just fell flat.

Quote (selected)
ATLA's finale felt like the culmination of an entire story. Korra's felt like the climax of one/fourth of a story. Granted, they're all individual stories for each season, but... still. There should be a sense of cohesive resolution that just wasn't really there to tie things together.

True as well. I don't think any of the seasons (or books, rather) flowed as neatly into another as they did with ATLA, which was why the finale was better in the latter's case--it was the resolution of everything that had been building up to that point, whereas LOK's was just the conclusion of Book 4 alone.
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 07:15:52 PM »
All throughout, I viewed Korra in relation to ATLA as I did Star Trek: the Next Generation with regard to Star Trek's Original Series; ATLA was Korra's history and definitely had a bearing on it, but you didn't have to know ATLA to appreciate the story in Korra.  Korra was a story on its own and you could appreciate it on its own, but... I agree with both of you.  I feel what we got were four finales rather than three season finales and one grand finale for the series.  I wouldn't mind a fifth season of Korra and a grand finale to wrap everything up, but I know that's not going to happen.

One other thing I got to thinking about recently was how little music and how much "recycled" music we had in Seasons 2, 3, and 4 compared with Season 1, and how I missed having more original stuff in the other seasons.  Thinking about it now, I guess that was another sign of Mike and Bryan having to really budget to make Seasons 2 through 4 possible; I think they didn't have the money to let the Track Team provide us with full sound tracks for the other seasons.

Having said that, it makes me think about how much of a gem Season 1 was, animation, music, and all.  It was so good but so outside of what Nick is used to transmitting, I think they didn't and still don't know what to do with it.

Offline ThePaintedLady

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 14
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 12:17:53 AM »
I also think it's honestly such a shame they had the budget constrictions they did. As everyone knows if LOK was marketed probably, played on tv at an appropriate times, shown in more countries and marketed to an older audience - it might've stood a chance.

No matter with what series, I will always want more from the finale. I'm the kind of person that would rather know every detail than have the openess that lets you interpret things. In saying this, I wish we had at least little bit more. You know? Like 30 seconds worth of magazine clippings showing Korra doing avatar stuff, Asami rebuilding the city, Mako making a big arrest, a mover from Bolin - cliche, I know but just an example.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:06:17 PM »
Wow.

Newspaper clippings of what the Krew went on to do would have been a beautiful way for them to end it.  I really like that idea.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.