Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: 408 - Remembrances  (Read 1816 times)

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
408 - Remembrances
« on: November 21, 2014, 03:59:51 AM »
Discuss season 4, episode 8 of LoK, Remembrances!

the doctor is out...

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: 408 - Remembrances
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 04:14:49 AM »
So...the episode hasn't aired yet, but for those who haven't seen/heard, there's been a bit of a stir about it on tumblr and Bryan explained some things regarding the content of the episode.

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Online Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »
Great recap episode.
Set by Waterlady

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 04:20:45 PM »
Didn't like it that much. Probably my least favorite episode of the entire series tbh.

They had an amazing opportunity to put Asami and/ Bolin in the hot seat to give them some take on what happened throughout the series but half the episode was a Makorra fest and the other like 6 minutes was a joke about Bolin's pains. And the Borra/Korrasami friendship was totally swept under the rug in recap.... most of the friendship was completely left out. It just felt like one big love triangle for half the episode....Korra--Mako, Mako--Asami, Mako--Korra..... We all know what happened, can't they let it go and focus on Team Avatar and their friendship. :/

It just really struck me dumb how that after the episode was entirely done Mako had not factored Bolin into much of anything. Like for instance, after the first Korra/Mako kissing scene recap. I thought he'd shed some light and say how he really hurt his brother when that happened (crying/noodle bing'ing). How he knew that Bolin had at least a crush on Korra but he was sorry for what happened (eventhough it wasn't really Mako's fault). But "nope"..that issue was pushed aside. I was just like.."really?". I mean, he went after Bolin right after that kiss happened but in that recap it's like it didn't even factor in Mako's eyes and that realllllly bothered me.  No pride in Bolin learning lavabending to save their skin or Bolin being proud of Mako for being a cop and 'cleaning up the streets' that they once lived on..... It pained me to watch the brother ship between Bolin and Mako fall very short in this one. It was like they weren't even related...

Everyone can have their own opinions about the episode but I think it was a waste. And what about Asami.....she got no recap back? How about how she was feeling when she lost her only family she had left, having to run a business all by herself, or how she's tied to Team Avatar? They could have given Asami at least a few minutes of her own interpretations.... *rubs temples*

I was almost hopeful when Bolin said that 'everything started with Korra' and how their lives would be completely different if Mako and him hadn't met her but then it was crushed when Verrick went onto his little shtick (eventhough it was a funny shtick). I just wish the creators would have put some emphasis on his relationship with Korra....a crush...friendship...SOMETHING flashback! All the hugs and tears of seeing Korra okay and well...(but that's a lot of my Borra shipper coming out)

I mean, I know they had a drastic budget cut and they had to work with what they had but I feel they could have given us more with the characters & development they had.

The only part I really enjoyed was Verrick saying "Fearsome Foursome" (he has to be Sokka's grandchild or something...I won't accept anything less!!)
, the 'villian' phone call & the 'character bubbles' while they were telling the story...that was all pretty comical. But other than that, I felt a little duped and disappointed. (yet again...a lot of borra shipper disappointment coming out)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 05:28:48 PM by aanglover »
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
This wasn't a BAD episode, despite what a lot of people over Tumblr are saying (one person is even advising everyone not to watch it).

I'll admit, I'm not crazy about clip episodes. I prefer seeing brand new action and stuff. But the way they did this episode, it wasn't just showing random clips and there, done. I liked the voice overs and little chibi heads :P And we did get a bit of character development with Mako and Korra.

Would I prefer a normal actiony episode? Yes. Was a disappointed? If I was going into this episode blindly, yes, but since I had a bit of forewarning, it wasn't bad. And that part with the phone call between Vaatu, Zaheer, Amon, and Mover Unalaq? Priceless (if not a bit ridiculous)

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline bearboymcg

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 72
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
This seemed to be a nice episode,with all things considered:) It was kinda nice to hear Mako's thought process of the whole Makorra/Masami mess:) And I loved that everyone in the room called him out on the mistakes:) Also,would have really liked Bolin to tell his story and was disappointed that everyone made him stop:( Though Varrick's parody story was rather amusing:)

Beautiful Kataang set made by my Secret Santa:D

Offline Maybeth

• “You’d be surprised what a person can live with”
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 4
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 09:53:20 PM »
Makko isn't much of a good storyteller... :P
I thought Bolin was better but Varrick didn't let him say his part of the story. No problem though. Varrick's story of Bolin was a masterpiece of imagination!! XD

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 10:46:36 PM »
The part where they got all the villains on the phone with each other made me laugh out loud, so it wasn't a total bust.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 01:00:46 AM »
I enjoyed the episode and Varrick's story was the best part. XDD

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 02:39:52 AM »
The part where they got all the villains on the phone with each other made me laugh out loud, so it wasn't a total bust.
Same, that was the best part. XD

Eh, clipshow eps are usually nothing to write home about. This was kind of like "Ember Island Players" for me, it was funny but didn't show us anything new. I'm sure next week things will really start heating up again and we'll all be screaming about cliffhangers

the doctor is out...

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 03:17:22 AM »
Same, that was the best part. XD

Same here.  :D  Although I did enjoy Mako's chibi-fest--and Wu getting slugged.  I bet Mako did too.

I was going to say that given how all the seasons of Korra have gone by so quickly, I liked having this little retrospective, but I have to agree with what aanglover said.  This little retrospective came back to the old love triangle between Korra, Mako, and Bolin, and we saw more of Varrick than we did of Asami.  It was nice to have a little run-through of the past, even if the cause of it was pretty crappy.  (Bet you never gave Spongebob a budget cut, have you, Nick?)

One line of Varrick's does come to mind, though, for what's to come: "This is no time for thinking, kid!  We're headed into the great finale!"  Heaven help us.  XD

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 04:44:51 AM »
Fearsome Foursome...
Made me laugh out loud so hard. Mostly because I had no idea what the episode was going into it and then the flash player freaked and went right to that part to START. I absolutely was not expecting that - or this being a clips/commentary episode.
And I certainly wasn't expecting my bb Amon to basically be Regina from Mean girls. I loved it!

After actually getting home and watching the episode in it's entirety with terrik, I learned about this episode being the result of Nickelodeon's budget cuts for season 4. They basically gave Bryke the ultimatum of firing staff to cut expenses and they responded in turn by absolutely not doing that and making a clips episode instead. There's a recent post on Bryan's tumblr about it, axtually.

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 12:12:42 PM »
Everything Varrick said had me laughing so hard I was nearly crying. The conference call between the 4 villains is probably one of the funniest moments in all of Avatar. And let's not forget Giant Blue Bolin and Spirit Bird Bolin.

Also, I loved in Mako's segment how Wu, his cousin and his Grandmother were calling him out on his bs. It's about time someone did it.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 07:52:26 PM »
Also, I loved in Mako's segment how Wu, his cousin and his Grandmother were calling him out on his bs. It's about time someone did it.
Wu has never been more likable.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 09:44:29 PM »
I admit I fangirled a little hearing Amon again. So cool to hear Steve Blum again. Out of all the villains he definitely had the best design and voice.

Wu has never been more likable.

I agree. I liked it, it shows Bryke understands now how ridiculous the love situation was and how we felt about it.

Offline Singer of Time

• The World-Weaver
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 05:14:57 AM »
I've never been too fond of clip shows myself either, tbh...but I did like how Bryke handled it.  The chibi commentary had me smiling all throughout, and it's kinda nice to catch up on and review the development of the story--and especially Korra's character development into a more mature Avatar and person.  Considering the constraints that the creators had to work with, I'd say they did alright.

Besides, the drama needed a welcome break, IMHO. x3

...Also I think I'll be watching that villain phone conference scene over and over again forever.  Crowning Moment of Overall Funny.  Right freaking there.

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • sig via tumblr, icon by delanynder
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, 06:50:05 PM »
I didn't like this episode hardly at all. I really dislike these episodes in series. I'd rather then dedicate the episode to something that actually has to do with the plot. I felt like it completely went out of the feel the other episodes give.

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, 06:59:49 PM »
There was a reason for the episode however, it was because if they didn't they'd lose a ton of budget on the entire season.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2014, 10:10:29 PM »
There was a reason for the episode however, it was because if they didn't they'd lose a ton of budget on the entire season.
Or they'd have to fire a large portion of the staff.

Basically, it's entirely Nickelodeon's fault.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:35 AM »
That too, yeah.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.