Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: 406 - Battle of Zaofu  (Read 1809 times)

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
406 - Battle of Zaofu
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:35:36 PM »
Discuss season 4, episode 6 of Legend of Korra, Battle of Zaofu!

the doctor is out...

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: 406 - Battle of Zaofu
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 03:45:24 PM »
Not sure if anyone has seen the episode yet, but wow! It was so intense! I'm still trying to process everything. XD

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline bearboymcg

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 72
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 08:21:07 PM »
It was a interesting episode:) Verrick's plan was stupidly brilliant,yet it somehow worked perfectly:) Also,Korra's and Kuvira's duel was interesting to watch:)

Beautiful Kataang set made by my Secret Santa:D

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »
Pretty awesome, although Korra and Kuvira's fight was kinda hard to watch with Korra getting her ass handed to her. I knew she wouldn't win (due to there still being 7 episodes left), but still kinda frustrating to watch.

And Varrick's an evil genius. Though not too bright (I know that kinda goes against what I said about him being a genius, but that's the best way I can put it)

I loved Huan chillin' with Ikki and Meelo and their paintings. WTC Meelo?

Can't wait till next week. Probable Team Avatar (minus Bolin) reunion. YAY! <3

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »
I wouldn't say Varrick's not bright, more like a little crazy up in the head.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:20:22 AM »
I wouldn't say Varrick's not bright, more like a little crazy up in the head.
THERE we go!

-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness

-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 01:09:22 AM »
Yes! I can't watch that fight scene again. XD

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 03:17:30 AM »
Pretty awesome, although Korra and Kuvira's fight was kinda hard to watch with Korra getting her ass handed to her. I knew she wouldn't win (due to there still being 7 episodes left), but still kinda frustrating to watch.

And Varrick's an evil genius. Though not too bright (I know that kinda goes against what I said about him being a genius, but that's the best way I can put it)

Second that.  That was so painful.  (sigh)  In hindsight I wish Toph had just suddenly popped up out of the ground, slapped Korra around a bit, and demanded, "Have you learned anything?"  I really don't think she has.  It's like frontal attack is all Korra knows.  Although Korra seeing herself in the Avatar State in Kuvira's beaten-down position... very interesting.

But gosh, at the end?  Meelo saying, "You can't handle this much Meelo!"  Oh my gosh.  XD  I can't handle that much Meelo!

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 04:22:35 AM »

Second that.  That was so painful.  (sigh)  In hindsight I wish Toph had just suddenly popped up out of the ground, slapped Korra around a bit, and demanded, "Have you learned anything?"  I really don't think she has.  It's like frontal attack is all Korra knows.  Although Korra seeing herself in the Avatar State in Kuvira's beaten-down position... very interesting.

But gosh, at the end?  Meelo saying, "You can't handle this much Meelo!"  Oh my gosh.  XD  I can't handle that much Meelo!
My main problem with Korra in that fight is her fighting style. And by that, I meant her attempts at precision strikes.

If I were a bender in this world, and if I was considerably good at it, I would never do what Korra does in this fight. She's doing the same things that people criticized Bolin's earthbending for in season 1. She's not using it to its full potential. She's taking a chunk of rock and flinging it. She's taking a gust of air and flicking it. She's taking a burst of fire and shooting it.

If I was an airbender at Korra's Avatar level, I would create a windstorm. If I was a waterbender at Korra's level, I would surround Kuvira with it and propel her into the air. If I were an earthbender at Korra's level, I would take huge chunks of earth, uproot them into walls, and trap Kuvira inside.

These are all incredibly simple, powerful, and comprehensive techniques that you'd really figure an Avatar would be able to figure out would be useful. Kuvira specifically told her she was allowed to do whatever she wanted, to the best of her abilities. And after Korra has spent two episodes trying to be reasonable and diplomatic, her first real fight in a good long while, she goes back to acting like she's boxing in a ring. And it's, quite simply, ridiculous.
<< Post Merge: November 08, 2014, 04:26:04 AM >>

... Or, maybe, it's due to the fact that she literally has spent the last couple months only fighting inside an almost underground 1v1 bending arena that works like a ring match and that's how she's relearned how to fight.

So it does make sense, but it's still really frustrating to watch.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 04:26:04 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 04:55:58 AM »
Agreed.  It is.

Something else struck me after I made that comment.  In some ways, I think Korra actually needs to go back to what Bolin was telling her in her Pro-Bending days and be lighter on her feet, quicker in her strikes.  With Fire, with Earth, with Air, it seems like she has so much windup in her blows that she's telegraphing where she's going to hit, like she relies completely on haymakers and completely avoids quick little jabs to set up more telling blows.  Ridiculous is a good word for it.  It's painful to watch.

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 05:15:18 AM »

From what I heard from Bryke, Toph does help her to a certain degree, but she still has a lot of healing to do on her own. Guess this is what they were taking about.

-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness

-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 05:31:13 AM »
Agreed.  It is.

Something else struck me after I made that comment.  In some ways, I think Korra actually needs to go back to what Bolin was telling her in her Pro-Bending days and be lighter on her feet, quicker in her strikes.  With Fire, with Earth, with Air, it seems like she has so much windup in her blows that she's telegraphing where she's going to hit, like she relies completely on haymakers and completely avoids quick little jabs to set up more telling blows.  Ridiculous is a good word for it.  It's painful to watch.
Hearing you say that, there is a bit of analysis I can squeeze out of this actually. Korra still feels weak. Kuvira's saying so just makes her vulnerability all the worse. Korra is very particularly winding up because she's afraid that she really needs to put in a lot of force for her moves to actually have any impact. She's psychosomatically undermining herself and her power because, even though she's the Avatar herself, she still feels like she doesn't have the bending strength to attack with good enough force. Every hit needs to be a knockout, every blow needs to hit hard, every strike has to blast Kuvira off her feet. Korra is trying to prove to herself that she's still powerful, and it's making her weaker because she's afraid to pull lighter hits. Meanwhile, Kuvira is using almost entirely small, rather delicate moves to totally disarm Korra. Tiny little metal scraps are all Kuvira needs to get Korra curling up in a ball on the floor.

This fight is so incredibly interesting and it's a shame it's so hard to watch.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 06:14:53 AM »
I honestly can't stand watching Korra's fight scenes really. She is so one dimensional. FIRE PUNCH FIRE PUNCH AIR PUNCH KICK A CHUNK OF ROCK FLIPPING SPINNY FIRE KICK! That's basically her entire fighting style right there. Honestly it's no wonder she gets pummeled a lot. I mean, I love the girl and all but god damn Korra mix it up a bit! Stop being so predictable.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 12:37:41 PM »
I think a lot of Korra's bending style in the last episode is reflective of the past three years. She was poisoned and hurt and spent a lot of time recovering and she feels she's not the same and she's got something to prove and such. And I'm guessing the frustration she felt didn't help much in that regard, so instead of bending the way she did in instances such as the Book 3 finale, she reverted back to style in Book 1, in a way. Also, she did mention she had a lot of pent up anger and such and we've seen how well bending fueled by emotions works sometimes. Iroh gave Zuko a talk about how firebending came from within and how that was a lot more controlled and stronger than firebending fueled by anger and agression and such. It's not that emotion fueled bending is bad, I guess; it just doesn't deliver as much as "proper" bending...whatever proper may be. XD

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 01:09:29 AM »
Watching Kuvira fight with Korra was really reminiscent of Amon challenging the Triple Triad leaders at the rallies. Precision, swiftness, and completely effortless movements against her attacks. It's a really cool parallel to season 1 to see a villain move like that.
Like many of us, I really just want to see Korra WIN for once. But I always have to stop myself and look at the bigger picture - we are witnessing a pretty accurate representation of PTSD, the character's youth, and the stress all these battles have put on her. Unlike the end of season 1 where Aang gives back her bending and everything is tied up in a nice little bow, we see her make mistakes and decisions that have major consequences - both on herself and the entire world/spirit realm.
I am growing ever more curious to see just how her triumph will finally come into play - and I know I for one am going to be fangirling so hard when I see that! <3

Online Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »
I love how the Walker keep calling Kuvira General Zelda in their vlogs.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Waterbender16

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 06:29:08 PM »
This episode is one of the best of this Book!! So intense, and exciting!!
And the scenes with Varrick and Bolin were pure hilarity!!!!
"Bolin, do the thing!"
"Uh, what thing?"
"Ugh, Zhu Li knew the thing!"

"Bolin, do the thing!"
"What thing?"
"Unhook the carts, come on, that was simple!"

"Bolin, you did it! You did the thing!!!"

XD XD XD XD

Offline kibagami

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 07:27:54 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new here. Great episode. The story's finally revving.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 07:19:07 PM »
Watching Kuvira fight with Korra was really reminiscent of Amon challenging the Triple Triad leaders at the rallies. Precision, swiftness, and completely effortless movements against her attacks. It's a really cool parallel to season 1 to see a villain move like that.
Like many of us, I really just want to see Korra WIN for once. But I always have to stop myself and look at the bigger picture - we are witnessing a pretty accurate representation of PTSD, the character's youth, and the stress all these battles have put on her. Unlike the end of season 1 where Aang gives back her bending and everything is tied up in a nice little bow, we see her make mistakes and decisions that have major consequences - both on herself and the entire world/spirit realm.
I am growing ever more curious to see just how her triumph will finally come into play - and I know I for one am going to be fangirling so hard when I see that! <3

I was going to quote just the "Aang gives back her bending and everything is tied up in a nice little bow" part, but I like just about all of this.  :D

That's one of the main things for me; I don't want to see Korra just win, I want to see her learn.  It's Kuvira who's listening to what King Bumi said about being one who "waits, and listens, for the right moment to strike", not Korra.  Korra flails, and Kuvira elegantly dodges and pot-shots her.  Korra's been presented that lesson over and over again, even going back to Season 1 when she was punching Tarrlok's ice shards.  To see Korra learn, to see her assess and then act, not react, will be beautiful.

It's like she could use a coach on the sidelines to yell at her what she needs to do, like Iroh did with Zuko in the agni kai against Zhao... like Asami, say.

Offline Maybeth

• “You’d be surprised what a person can live with”
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 4
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
Wow...
Varrick-Bolin scenes rocked of fun!!! :D
And I didn't know Meelo was an artist!

But I just don't get the matter with Korra.
At first I thought her self in the avatar state was an illusion of the past... Then that spirit said it could see it too!! Which makes it... existant?
Then the poison gets completely out of Korra's body and the illusions are supposingly over.
And then it happens again!!! But why? And if it's just an illusion of the past, her fear haunting her, then how was it visible to that spirit?

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.