Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: 401 - After All These Years  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: 401 - After All These Years
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »
We don't know exactly if Bolin's being tricked, because wouldn't that technically mean Kuvira is lying about what she's doing? She could believe what she's doing is the right thing.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline HoneyBadger

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 32
  • I have a problem for your solution
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 12:39:16 AM »
We don't know exactly if Bolin's being tricked, because wouldn't that technically mean Kuvira is lying about what she's doing? She could believe what she's doing is the right thing.

Agreed. But, I will add that Bolin has proven himself to be gullible throughout this series.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:21 AM »
She's blatantly manipulative, and most likely hired the bandits to target Kai's bison and steal the supplies in order to convince the mayor to sign over control of the village. The bandits had planes. Bandits don't have planes, the military has planes. Plus there are shots where the we see those bandits are clearly the same ones that were captured and threatened with high-speed murder in order to make them ally with Kuvira on the train-tracks.

Kuvira might not be lying but she is certainly withholding information to get what she wants.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 12:45:16 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 01:30:05 AM »
I get that, no need to explain it. All I'm saying is that maybe she just doesn't feel she needs to tell that certain information. Doesn't mean she's tricking him per say.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 02:00:10 AM »
She obviously does this for power while trying to convince people it's for the peace and unity of the Earth Kingdom; which it is, but only under her rule.

She could easily have convinced Bolin this was a mission purely to help all these villages, protect them from bandits, and give them supplies. We see Bolin handing them out, and he seems rather satisfied to help others. That's how she got Bolin in; the promise of helping those in need. I'm pretty sure if he had seen her make the bandits attack Kai and his own girlfriend by flinging them out of the sky to keep them from providing for the villagers, as well as bolt the bandits to the tracks to wait for their decapitations or to have their hands chopped off, he'd be less comfortable working for her. That's what we mean.

It's less of a simple "Oh, she's lying" it's more a layer of subtler duplicity that Bolin isn't narratively allowed to be privy to because it isn't called for yet. It's Bolin's being manipulated that's under scrutiny here.

Unless there turns out to be a bit of a rift in Team Avatar where Bolin stays by Kuvira's side regardless, which... would be insanely interesting, actually.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2014, 02:15:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I don't think Bolin knows all that Kuvira is up to and I think if she doesn't have him around as part of the act, then she's got some ulterior motive for keeping him. I think if at all Bolin joined Kuvira of his own volition, it was probably when she first started out and probably when she had the best of intentions and the power hadn't gotten to her yet. Or, maybe as others have said, if Bolin knows what's going on, he's sticking around because he believes the good he can do can counteract whatever "evil" Kuvira does.

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2014, 02:32:20 AM »
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I don't think it's fair to chalk it up to Bolin just being gullible and tricked, at least not like last time. He joined because he thought it was a worthy cause and it certainly seemed liked at first I'm sure. And it's not like he was the only one in the krew tricked by Varrick.

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
I agree about Bolin not being gullible. Kuvira's one smooth talking chick. Manipulative too. The way she describes what she's doing is helping struggling Earth Kingdom towns/states/whatever. Bolin just wants to help. Sure, they do seem to be helping these places, but we're only one episode in. I'm sure things will unfold as the season goes on and when all hell breaks loose, I'm sure we'll see Bolin being all badass and... I think I just strayed away from the point... Eh, whatever. Bolin's awesome. ^_^

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
She obviously does this for power while trying to convince people it's for the peace and unity of the Earth Kingdom; which it is, but only under her rule.

She could easily have convinced Bolin this was a mission purely to help all these villages, protect them from bandits, and give them supplies. We see Bolin handing them out, and he seems rather satisfied to help others. That's how she got Bolin in; the promise of helping those in need. I'm pretty sure if he had seen her make the bandits attack Kai and his own girlfriend by flinging them out of the sky to keep them from providing for the villagers, as well as bolt the bandits to the tracks to wait for their decapitations or to have their hands chopped off, he'd be less comfortable working for her. That's what we mean.

It's less of a simple "Oh, she's lying" it's more a layer of subtler duplicity that Bolin isn't narratively allowed to be privy to because it isn't called for yet. It's Bolin's being manipulated that's under scrutiny here.

Unless there turns out to be a bit of a rift in Team Avatar where Bolin stays by Kuvira's side regardless, which... would be insanely interesting, actually.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but I don't think it's fair to chalk it up to Bolin just being gullible and tricked, at least not like last time. He joined because he thought it was a worthy cause and it certainly seemed liked at first I'm sure. And it's not like he was the only one in the krew tricked by Varrick.

That's what I'm thinking.  I'm thinking Bolin probably joined up when the mission was to help the people of the Earth Kingdom in the wake of what the Red Lotus did.  I could see Mako giving Bolin a talking-to about it, given the things Bolin has wound up in in the past, but Bolin really wanted to do this.  I would think that Bolin has seen some of the more savory sides of Kuvira's organization, especially given Opal's reaction in this episode, but that's not enough to make Bolin quit, rebel, or raise a stink.  Yet.

I also think we're going to see that.  :D

I also agree about the airplanes and bandits being part of Kuvira's organization.  You could argue bandits found the planes, but you have to learn how to fly them, you have to learn how to land them, and you have to learn how to maintain them; not so easy for "ordinary" bandits.

I agree about Bolin not being gullible. Kuvira's one smooth talking chick. Manipulative too. The way she describes what she's doing is helping struggling Earth Kingdom towns/states/whatever. Bolin just wants to help. Sure, they do seem to be helping these places, but we're only one episode in. I'm sure things will unfold as the season goes on and when all hell breaks loose, I'm sure we'll see Bolin being all badass and... I think I just strayed away from the point... Eh, whatever. Bolin's awesome. ^_^

And second all of that.  :D

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
Yeah, I have full faith in Mike and Bryan. Whatever they give is, it's bound to be good!
Me too!
Theyve never let me down before when it came to good plot.

Im just sad for korra.Shes trying to make a name for herself rather than just the label of Avatar. I think this is the first time we see Korra not gloating or being proud that shes the avatar...

"When we are at our lowest point we are open to the greatest change" as some might say.. ;)
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Im just sad for korra.Shes trying to make a name for herself rather than just the label of Avatar. I think this is the first time we see Korra not gloating or being proud that shes the avatar...

"When we are at our lowest point we are open to the greatest change" as some might say.. ;)

(nods)

I'm glad they're taking the darker turn here with Korra.  I think she really needs to explore some things within herself.  I'm also glad that they're adding a political dimension to all of this, namely just what happens with (what had been) the Earth Kingdom when the Red Lotus injected their chaos into it.

It's too bad that Korra's lost her connection to the other Avatars, too.  I think Kyoshi's take on Kuvira would be interesting, given that Kuvira's a new "Chin the Conqueror" in some ways.  :D

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
I'm sure it would be! That'd certainly be something to see.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
I have to say I'm liking the approach I see so far--talking about Kuvira & Co. in 401, a Korra-only episode in 402 (oh, all right, Toph too :P), and it sounds like we're getting a Wu-centric episode for 403.  We're not just sticking with one story, we're moving through several, and I get the feel of pieces moving on the chessboard as to who's going to be where doing what.  I like that feeling.

Offline Waterbender16

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 06:58:38 PM »
An interesting season pilot. Seeing what Republic City looks like after three years.
But what happened to Korra?!? O.o
P.S. Got used to the new hair styles!! ;)

Offline Rotkehlchen

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
  • In 23 we trust
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2014, 02:22:39 PM »
Earth Kingdom really needs a revolution. Or elections. Or any other way to get rid of this family "leading" the nation. Not sure about Korra. Hope that doesn't turn into mid-life crisis.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2014, 05:10:23 AM »
I concur about the Earth Kingdom! They really need to set up some sort of election or something, because they haven't been having much luck in terms of rulers/leaders. XD

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.