Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Against Me!  (Read 762 times)

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 28
  • Korrasami Expert
Against Me!
« on: September 21, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
So is it any wonder or surprise that I am a fan of this band? If it is a surprise then you  just don't know me. Which is a fair enough point.

Now i don't get to claim that I've loved them forever, or that I've been a fan for the longest time. My Love for them is fairly recent as of last year. Why is that? Because of Band Front Woman Laura Jane Grace! My then roommate (probably best friend) made me aware of her existence.

"So you like punk huh? Did you hear about Against Me!'s lead singer?... She just came out as Trans.  But ever since that song 'The Ocean' I was pretty sure that was the case. It's not surprising."

And truly if you listen to The Ocean from teh New Wave Album (which is from before she transitioned) there is a line that goes: "If I could have chosen, I would have been born a woman. My mother once told me, she would have named me Laura."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHBiylGGvc8

But is being Trans enough to make me love a person? Love a Band? No.. no it isn't. There are some truly terrible trans people in the world. Like Truly awful.

But it was enough to get me interested. And so I absorbed their latest Album "Transgender Dysphoria Blues"

And that was it, that was my experience. Who is this woman!? How does she know me? How is she singing my life? Screaming my life? The music reverberated through me to my very core, I cried. Still cry. And then I read her interviews, read about her, watched interviews. Absorbed everything I could, because this music was me. And you see a lot of punk interviews, or at least the majority of interviews I've seen, where the Punk artists aren't really well spoken. Which doesn't make me love them any less. But Laura Jane  is just so articulate. It's very hard to not get wrapped up in her when she speaks. And her band mates are all pretty awesome, laid back, just cool dudes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lWK5ZVs0uU
(thought this video was pretty cute)

So all in all, the band is lovable, the Front Woman is really outspoken, and well spoken, and above all and somewhat most importantly the music is amazing!! I will leave you some samples of course for you to decide for yourself! Also some more facts about the band to make it seem liek i'm being informative in some way.

Quote (selected)
Against Me! is a punk rock band formed in Gainesville, Florida, in 1997 by singer and guitarist Laura Jane Grace. Since 2002 the band's lineup has also included guitarist James Bowman and bassist Andrew Seward. After releasing three studio albums through independent record labels, Against Me! moved to Sire Records for 2007's New Wave, which reached no. 57 on the Billboard 200. Their fifth album, 2010's White Crosses, was their most successful, reaching no. 34. In 2011 the band launched their own record label, Total Treble Music, through which they plan to release future albums. In 2012 Grace publicly came out as transgender, beginning a transition to living as a woman and dropping her birth name. The band finished recording their sixth studio album, Transgender Dysphoria Blues, during the summer of 2013, and released it on the twenty-first of January, 2014.
(from wikipedia)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAT_vvDXr_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RPISPdhDQQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUQGJaIRguo

Hope you enjoy! I think this is a pretty good selection of their music.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:25:54 PM by lilithxchan »

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: Against Me!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 02:13:50 PM »
Punk rock isn't really my cup of tea, but this music is good! It's the type of stuff I probably wouldn't mind listening to, if it was on. XD

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »
I think it's more lyrical than most punk rock.. it's hard to describe but Lyrically I do enjoy it more than most punk groups.

I'm so excited because I'm gonna see her on the 12th!

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »
Cool! Hope you have lots of fun! ^_^

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 07:34:32 AM »
Definitely heard of them and I think I recall her coming out a couple of years back. New album sounds like it could be interesting, I'll check it out sometime.

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:10:49 AM »
Wow it's been a while since this thread has seen any action.

so updates on the band. Still together, still haven't seen them :T 

BUT they did come out with a new album that's been a joy to listen to

Laura said that their last Album "Transgender Dysphoria Blues" was strictly to discuss how she coped and her thought processes with coming out as trans. Sort of get her feelings out in the sphere sort to speak so she didn't get input from anyone else about how things should sound. Which her band was cool with, and were totally understanding.

However this Album not only did other members write songs for it, they also had some outside input which was new. Overall I would say it came together really nicely.

It's called "Shape Shift With Me" and hte sound is certainly different than Transgender Dysphoria Blues.

Give it a listen to :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_tvcWxyktI

Language Warning :3

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:21:09 PM »
(Thanks for the language warning, lilith.  :D)

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 04:22:41 AM »
Of course! I couldn't really find a track without some kind of language

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.