Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: 310 - Long Live the Queen  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: 310 - Long Live the Queen
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »
I concur! The Red Lotus are pretty likeable for "villians"...more so than Unalaq. XD

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 02:15:33 AM »
Agreed. I hated Unalaq from the get-go. He just had an evil air about him. With the Red Lotus, they're not just pure evil. The romance between P'Li and Zaheer, and Bolin talking to Ghazan and Ming Hua about their time in prison, and them actually responding to him and answering questions? Not your average villain.

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2014, 02:30:56 AM »
Which is why they're so interesting! ^^

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2014, 02:34:22 AM »
This episode was... wow! Kinda funny how this episode's called "Long Live the Queen" when she doesn't survive episode. Maybe it's a reference to the Lion King. "Long love the king" and Mufassa gets killed.
"Long Live the King/Queen" is the second half of a classical saying for when the ruler of a monarchy dies and is replaced by their immediate successor. In full, it's "The King/Queen is dead, long live the King/Queen" the first part referring to the deceased, the second to the successor.

In Scar's case, he's being dastardly and chilling. In Zaheer's case, he's being ironic/sarcastic.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 02:49:05 AM »
This episode was... wow! Kinda funny how this episode's called "Long Live the Queen" when she doesn't survive episode. Maybe it's a reference to the Lion King. "Long love the king" and Mufassa gets killed.
"Long Live the King/Queen" is the second half of a classical saying for when the ruler of a monarchy dies and is replaced by their immediate successor. In full, it's "The King/Queen is dead, long live the King/Queen" the first part referring to the deceased, the second to the successor.

In Scar's case, he's being dastardly and chilling. In Zaheer's case, he's being ironic/sarcastic.
Did not know that. Interesting. If I knew that, I'd know the queen would've died.

-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness

-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 03:06:42 AM »
Without warning, I was totally spoiled literally just a few hours before I was able to watch it. DARN IT

I imagine that I would have been shocked and be spazzing and keyboard smashing by now if it wasn't for those people who don't know how to hide their spoilers. TT_TT

........or rather.......this episode....would have taken my BREATH away if I wasn't spoiled before hand.

Tiger.  XDD  (yuans)

I love the complexity of the antagonists this go around, it's really refreshing after putting up with Unalaq for a whole season.

I do, too, but it annoys me a bit that Korra and the Krew seem to have no answer to them.  The only time the Red Lotus was deterred at all was when they tried to kidnap her.  Otherwise, the Red Lotus blew threw both the Krew and the Dai Li.

Of course, maybe they don't make the Dai Li like they used to, too.  XD

I was irritated a bit that way in Season 1, too, when the Equalists had all the answers... like they're a bit too perfect.  Granted, it's like going back to last episode with Pai Sho where Asami and Bolin read, "To defeat your enemy, you must know your enemy", and so far the Krew know very little and the Red Lotus way too much.

Still, back in ATLA when it seemed like Azula was invincible (and it was nice to hear her voice coming out of Ming Hua, so to speak), Katara was able to match her.  I hope we get to see someone meet and beat the Red Lotus in the same way.  Maybe that's coming up.

Offline Leafeon

• Waterbending Healer
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 51
    • GoFundMe
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 03:43:06 AM »
I'm surprised that they showed her getting killed. ._.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2014, 03:46:47 AM »
Well, I'm not entirely, because they've done it before, but even then it had always been rather ambiguous in cases like Jet's or even Amon and Tarrlok's where their boat blew up. But this was pretty brutal and left little room for doubt. XD

Offline Leafeon

• Waterbending Healer
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 51
    • GoFundMe
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 03:51:11 AM »
Yeah, especially since you sat there watching her suffocate for 20 seconds after seeing the air being taken out of her lungs. That was an interesting way of creating an air sphere that was void of air.  o_o

Offline ignite444

• Azula's Rage
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 15
  • Ultimate Firebender
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
OMG, he killed the queen! O.O That was pretty gruesome for a Y7 rated show! Zahir (how do you spell his name anyway) used an Airbending technique I created in my head a looooooong time ago. I was shocked beyond belief!

Offline Nadeshani

• Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 80
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2014, 06:10:12 AM »
Omaygawd. It's on til the break a dawn like donkey kong.  :| I'm prettee sure i'm liking the antagonists better than the protagonists this season. That probably says something about my moral compass.

Offline HoneyBadger

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 32
  • I have a problem for your solution
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
Gah! Amazing episode! This season is so good. I still can't believe Nick took it off the air. That probably means no more Avatar series :((

Offline FIGJAM

• Traveler Unknown. Rabblerouser. The Trendsetter of TKC
  • Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 37
  • I tried to pay attention, but attention paid me.
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2014, 07:09:15 AM »
Absolutely heartless death scene. Zaheer is not messing around. I'm amazed Bryke had the cajones to kill off someone like that so brutally (especially since they intended on this being shown on mainstream, channel television Nick). It's also nice to see Zuko back, but the big heart to heart I expected between him and Korra never happened...

...which leads me to use this as an example for what I think is a problem with season 3 and pretty much the whole show. Zuko had a long and prosperous relationship with Aang. He should be thrilled to see Korra. Korra should also be thrilled at seeing an old friend of Aang's, as it's another connection to her predecessor. But that gets completely glossed over in favor of continuing more plot.

In other words, Bryke are trying to put in SO MUCH stuff that they're not characterizing their characters properly. I really don't care about Bolin, or Mako, or Asami, or even Korra. This is because we haven't spent enough time with them; they have no real, underlying motivation that makes us want to root for them. The plot is developing without the characters developing with it. I understand Bryke were trying to tell a different story and required a different format than Avatar (shorter seasons), but they try to develop so many things in such a restrictive format that none of them can be developed properly. They have great ideas, but they can't be executed if we don't care about the characters that they concern.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:11:38 AM by FIGJAM »

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »
I'm inclined to agree. That's been an issue with Korra from day one. The original series was able to give us more than half a season essentially just building up characterization, meanwhile Korra is working nearly entirely on plot with characters working like chess pieces.

Heck, the episode where Tenzin had to train the new airbenders was enough to get me invested in his character more than I'd been previously. The show gave his character room to breathe, time to interact with his brother and his wife, and give us a sense of who he actually is as a person when things aren't dangerous or going horribly wrong. It was barely even seven minutes devoted to him, but it was still something. And it wasn't awkwardly shoved down our throats like the uncomfortable sibling rivalry episode in early season 2 where they all bicker while trying to find Jinora and lay out all their issues without a hint of subtlety. In Original Airbenders, he was in a slight bind, a bit frustrated, just trying to figure out a good way to go about doing things, and that's really all it needed.

On a different note, Season 3's attempt at progressing the plot is much more cohesive than the previous season's. It doesn't feel like it's shooting everything at us, slowing down to a halt for five episodes, then dropping a bomb. It's more even and stable. So at least with Season 3 when it's sacrificing characterization we're actually getting something in return.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »
We're getting bits of development, like last episode when Bolin played pai sho with Asami when we learned about their different styles, and this episode, when Bolin talked with their captors a bit.  When Bolin got "two out of three" guesses right, I saw something on the lavabender's face I don't think I've seen all season: a smile.

I agree, though; we're basically seeing the action figures of Korra, et al. moving around without learning that much about them.  That was one of the great things about ATLA, I think; we learned plenty about most of the people involved.  The story ripened.  The characters ripened.  We're having to scrape for clues with the Krew.  I agree, Korra's exchange with Zuko could have led to something else, even just as an aside on the way to where they're going, some chance to talk about the past.  I'm hoping that the end of this season is a cliffhanger into the next one so Mike and Bryan give themselves time to talk about things, get some development in.  I'm hoping.  :D

I also agree that Season 3 feels more cohesive, more coherent than Season 2, and possibly even Season 1.  You do feel like we're going someplace.  We're not just shoved into things all of a sudden.  That's a positive sign.

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
Sic Semper Tyrannis! Bosco has been avenged! Ten points if you get the reference.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »
Sic Semper Tyrannis! Bosco has been avenged! Ten points if you get the reference.
"Thus always to tyrants", a misnomer for "Sic Semper Evello Mortem Tyrannis" meaning "Thus always I eradicate tyrant's lives" dating back to hearsay about what Brutus said when assassinating Julius Caesar.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2014, 05:27:29 PM »
A little more recent than that. I was thinking of the Lincoln assassination (replacing the South in Bosco).
Set by Waterlady

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2014, 05:45:14 PM »
A little more recent than that. I was thinking of the Lincoln assassination (replacing the South in Bosco).
Because John Wilkes Booth wrote that he shouted "Sic Semper" before shooting him?
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 06:18:41 PM »
Are we all just gonna ignore "Fort Bosco"?

-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness

-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.