Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Korrasami  (Read 38238 times)

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
Re: Korrasami
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »
True... but conversely, we would also have Asami in a lesbian relationship, showing the other side of the coin as a very feminine, girly woman.  It would be an interesting dichotomy to explore, if they took the time to showcase that you can't peg people's sexual orientation based solely on their external personality quirks.

Offline DoubleRussia

• Lovable Jerk
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 3
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2013, 01:09:59 AM »

Hey guys.

spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2013, 01:55:16 AM »

^^this thread right now

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2013, 04:04:25 AM »

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:27 AM »
Eh. I'll always be a friendship Korrasami fan! Anything more than that is not my style.

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2013, 11:04:06 PM »
[aggressively sobs that Korrasami will never be canon]

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2013, 09:40:00 AM »
I have that gif bookmarked. I plan to spring it on people frequently and without warning.

Offline Harley Quinn

• hi puddin'
  • Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 56
  • Formerly JHZ
    • my own site yo
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
I still want a legitimate reason why Korrasami can't be canon.

A real legitimate reason. Which character it'd be OOC for, why it wouldn't work in text, etc

Because so far all I hear is "KIDS CAN'T KNOW GAY EXISTS". D:

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2013, 10:03:50 PM »
I still want a legitimate reason why Korrasami can't be canon.

A real legitimate reason. Which character it'd be OOC for, why it wouldn't work in text, etc

Because so far all I hear is "KIDS CAN'T KNOW GAY EXISTS". D:
Because Asami and Korra aren't Homosexuals. (They might be in a perverted 14 year old boy's fanfiction. But not their real characters.)
<< Post Merge: April 06, 2013, 10:06:25 PM >>

It would be OOC for BOTH of them. They simply have a gal pal relationship.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 10:06:25 PM by 1911cowboy »

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2013, 02:24:27 AM »
I'll repeat what I said over on Amira's place:

Sexuality is not black and white.  It's not just "You are heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual and there's no in-between."  There are all kinds of shades of grey in between.  I'll use the ruler example again: if you look on a ruler, and the 0 mark is "exclusively attracted to men" and the 10 mark is "exclusively attracted to women," people can fall anywhere on that scale.  For example, I'd put myself at about the 1 or 1.5 mark.  I identify as heterosexual because I am predominantly attracted to men, but there have been a handful of rare occasions when I have experienced attraction to women.

I repeat: it's not black and white.

At this point, Korra and Asami have displayed attraction only to men (for that matter, only a single man between the two of them), but that does not mean that they could not experience attraction or romantic feelings for women (specifically, for the purposes of this discussion, each other) as well.  And when one completely disregards gender, the two of them being together is actually a lot more believable than any other pairing thus far presented.  Their personalities and personal histories match together exceptionally well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 02:28:43 AM by The Melon Lord Approves »

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
First off:  thank you, Melon Lord.

As for Korrasami?  The reason it's not going to happen has nothing to do with the characters' canonical sexuality.  It's not going to happen because Nickelodeon wouldn't dare, for fear of bringing down the wrath of the self-proclaimed moral guardians. 

But...really, it's true:  They've come off more compatible with each other than either of them has with Mako (who, after all, is the only eligible boy whom the narrative has treated as desirable or even relevant).
I keep:  Lin Beifong's resolve, Asami Sato's integrity, and Bolin's endearing inability to lie.

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2013, 08:18:54 AM »
I'll repeat what I said over on Amira's place:

Sexuality is not black and white.  It's not just "You are heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual and there's no in-between."  There are all kinds of shades of grey in between.  I'll use the ruler example again: if you look on a ruler, and the 0 mark is "exclusively attracted to men" and the 10 mark is "exclusively attracted to women," people can fall anywhere on that scale.  For example, I'd put myself at about the 1 or 1.5 mark.  I identify as heterosexual because I am predominantly attracted to men, but there have been a handful of rare occasions when I have experienced attraction to women.

I repeat: it's not black and white.

At this point, Korra and Asami have displayed attraction only to men (for that matter, only a single man between the two of them), but that does not mean that they could not experience attraction or romantic feelings for women (specifically, for the purposes of this discussion, each other) as well.  And when one completely disregards gender, the two of them being together is actually a lot more believable than any other pairing thus far presented.  Their personalities and personal histories match together exceptionally well.

That doesn't change the fact that, unless Bryke actually chooses to give any indication -at all- that they are homosexual, they aren't. As it is, both characters are 100% heterosexual. As it is, Korrasami is canonically completely OOC. (And in my opinion, disrespectful to their gender preferences).

Obviously, the writers can change that in later seasons and reveal that Korra and Asami are actually more gay than straight - then it can happen without breaking the characterization. And yes, only the writers have the power to change a character that radically without it being OOC - canon can that, fanon can not. (Not that it prevents people from shipping them, anyway - but so far it's not realistic or really justified).

I wouldn't mind this gay paring happening at all - or any other gay paring happening on the show. That could be interesting, but I seriously doubt Nickelodeon would allow it, (because they are jerks).

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
Regardless, I shall continue to ship Korrasami because, quite frankly, in terms of compatibility, they are 100% more logical and believable a relationship than anything that has a prayer of becoming canon (because let's be realistic, as much as I love both Borra and Bosami, the odds of either being canon at this point are slim-to-none and the same goes for Irohsami... and we all know my current feelings on Makorra). 

I have a few guidelines for fanon shipping. The situation has to meet at least one (or all) of the following requirements:

1- There are no canon pairings.
2- I completely and thoroughly despise the canon pairings.
3- The pairing must be at least reasonably compatible (this is most important).
4- I'm pretty sure there's a fourth one but it's almost 4am and I've been up for too many hours straight and I can't think of it right now.

Obviously there are canon pairings (with the same dude) involved here. But I do not like either Makorra or Masami (though the latter was moderately tolerable). Therefore, Korrasami satisfies condition #2. It also satisfies condition #3, in that Korra and Asami have awesome chemistry and are completely compatible. And if I ever remember what the fourth condition was, I'll be able to see if Korrasami fits that, too.

But it still stands- given the complete lack of palatable canon pairings, I am perfectly happy to deeply adore Korrasami until such time as canon gives me a reason to revise my opinion (and even then I'll still adore Korrasami, but I won't be quite as upset at the US's homophobia for rendering it a near-impossibility as I currently am).

Also, on an entirely unrelated and thoroughly shallow note... Korrasami is easily the most visually appealing ship possible. Seriously. Consider every available option among the young LoK characters. Korrasami still looks the best together.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
Also, on an entirely unrelated and thoroughly shallow note... Korrasami is easily the most visually appealing ship possible. Seriously. Consider every available option among the young LoK characters. Korrasami still looks the best together.
Let's be real here.

Korrasami is the perfect start for homosexuality in more youth-oriented media because it would be two sexy ladies, and lesbianism has been the fairer homosexuality in the public's eye for years now. It would probably elicit a far less poisonous response than a male/male relationship in the show. If having homosexual relationships in TLOK is a place we're willing to go, this route would easily be safest.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's true.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
Regardless, I shall continue to ship Korrasami because, quite frankly, in terms of compatibility, they are 100% more logical and believable a relationship than anything that has a prayer of becoming canon (because let's be realistic, as much as I love both Borra and Bosami, the odds of either being canon at this point are slim-to-none and the same goes for Irohsami... and we all know my current feelings on Makorra). 

Obviously, that is subjective (both on them being perfect and the other couples not), and personally? I'm not sure I agree that they are that logical or believable or even compatible. First of all, neither of them is gay (of what we've seen so far), which is a huge and very justified counter-argument - that doesn't make them very logical at all. Second, I personally don't see them having more in common or more "chemistry" than the other characters. Sure, they've had a few scenes of getting along, and they do share some history, but so does Bolin and Korra, or Mako and Korra.

After the almost-only Korra/Asami bonding scene (Asami taking Korra out racing) I saw a potential for a great friendship, which I didn't even see before. Korra, like I, had kind of misjudged Asami - she is not merely a girly rich girl as you might think if you didn't know better; that probably means she could be a good friend for Korra, and also inspire her to be more girly. But honestly? I also so both Mako (yes, honestly) and Bolin bring out good sides of her from time to time.

However, if they were gay people, who happened to like each other, I wouldn't say they'd make a horrible couple - but I also don't see them as people who are "obviously meant to be". (But then, I never do unless I actually think the characters would feel that way - because anything else is forcing my opinion on them, and everyone know that someone who despises shipping can't do that).

But I'd say, as far as odds of being canon goes, I actually think both Irohsami, Borra and Bosami all have a much, much higher chance of happening before the final book!

Let's be real here.

Korrasami is the perfect start for homosexuality in more youth-oriented media because it would be two sexy ladies, and lesbianism has been the fairer homosexuality in the public's eye for years now. It would probably elicit a far less poisonous response than a male/male relationship in the show. If having homosexual relationships in TLOK is a place we're willing to go, this route would easily be safest.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's true.

Quite honestly, I would really like to see a homosexual couple in the Avatar world - simply because homosexuality exist in the real would, and it I so assume it does in this fictional world, too. So far, we just haven't seen it.

But frankly, I wouldn't prefer it to be Korra or Asami or any other character who's formerly been presented as straight. I would like to see a confident, self-assured and completely gay person. It's not unlikely for gay people to have had some heterosexual relationships in their youth before realizing their preferred gender, but I don't find this kind of teenage-sexual-confusion very interesting. I'd rather see someone being gay, being happy about, and that being it.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »
To me, that's always been the problem. There isn't that much representation in pop-culture of people finding their own sexuality as they mature. That's why you're able to say "They couldn't get together without it debasing their characters, they've only ever been with a man." We have this idea that you're either gay or straight, that you just come out of the womb that way. Plenty of people in our culture don't really see homosexuals as real people who grew up, it's like they're these archetypes that live in a vacuum, they just flutter into the scene periodically 'as a gay'; they aren't treated like human beings who had to go through plenty of experiences in order to get to this specific stage in their development. In reality, people are fluid, they have relationships and then they can change as they mature. People don't really like getting too much into that because they see it as too much work, or they simply don't want to deal with it, and thus it just goes primarily unaddressed and ignorance marches on to the simplest drumbeat.

If The Legend of Korra were to allow Korrasami to happen naturally as proposed, I'd support it fully. It's high time that homosexuality stops being a character trait to just slap on just because actually looking at the issues and the real people involved is too scary.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:37:11 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »
*points again to first post on page 6 and silently awards Av yuans*

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:12 AM »
*searches desperately for page 6 to no avail*
<< Post Merge: April 07, 2013, 09:43:37 AM >>

[Am I the only one who only sees 3 pages here? There are far more posts per page here than KF, for me.]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:43:54 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2013, 09:52:16 AM »
Really? I honestly don't watch much TV about teenagers and sexuality, because I find it a boring topic, (but that's just my personal story preferences). But from what I've snipped of watching my sister watch teenage shows, like Glee, there are quite a few characters who were formerly straight, and then later were in a homosexual relationship and realized they preferred the same sex to the opposite sex. It's probably realistic, I think it is realistic, but it's not how I prefer to see sexuality presented.

Or rather, to specify: I'd like to see the Avatar franchise deal with other sexualities than plain straight, but I'd like it to be presented as a normal thing, something you should be confident about and celebrate - something that's exactly as worthy as homosexuality.

I would like the show to have a role-model - someone that could inspire people to follow their hearts and sexuality. I do think that sexuality is confusing to young people - it will probably be regardless of what we present it as, but I'd rather have fiction showing the good sides of it, showing why it's something you shouldn't hide or be embarrassed about, instead of presenting it as an angsty teenage phrase that bring you nothing but confusion and misery.

In short, I'd like to see someone who's beyond the doubt; someone who is gay, and is confident and happy about who they are. Hell, it could even be someone who's bisexual - I'd just rather see them celebrating their sexuality, than angsting over it.

That's why you're able to say "They couldn't get together without it debasing their characters, they've only ever been with a man."

But that has nothing to do with homosexuality. I use precisely the same argument to argue why, as it is, Korra and Iroh is OOC. Why Borra is one-sided. Why you can't make a homosexual character heterosexual just because you'd like to pair them off with someone of the opposite sex.

Sexuality, regardless of preferences, is a part of characterization. You can't just toss it around as you please, without breaking the actual presentation. That's attraction to characters we've never seen them attracted to before, that's attraction to types a character has never found appealing, and that's breaking or altering a sexuality. I don't approve of character-altering on the reasoning of shipping, and I never have in any situation.

What I was trying to say: As it is, Korrasami is OOC, because we haven't seen the slightest hint that either of them is attracted to girls, but it's not necessary unrealistic that they could be, if the writers chose to go there. But it's requiring that the writers do go there, and show us a basis for a relationship.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.