Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus  (Read 55106 times)

Offline bruisedreed

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 45
    • Fanfiction.net
Re: Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »
The only thing I can add to this discussion is AMEN!  You both are saying everything I believe and doing it better than I could have.

Sig by Seluna
I will trust You

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 03:59:59 AM »
(click to show/hide)Exactly. I think by trying too hard to make a Roman counterpart to Percy, Riordan lost the chance to really develop Jason. Percy had 5 books to develop his character. Jason had one, and he had to share it with two other characters. He tried too hard to make Jason as great of a main protagonist, someone equal to Percy. I mean we all love Percy, but we love him because we got to know him. What many love about Percy is that he's a funny guy who's powerful but also has his own faults. We saw his fumbles and his struggles and it made us want to cheer him on. We didn't get that with Jason. We saw how powerful he was, how awesome he was. But without the struggles, without the faults, he just comes off as fake. Nobody likes a perfect character, you can't relate to a perfect character because no one is. We like a character we can relate to and sympathize with, because we're full of mistakes ourselves. Jason has no depth. He comes off as perfect and yeah, it's frankly boring. Maybe if Riordan gave Jason more time to develop I'd like him. But he didn't so I don't. And Piper fawning over his perfectness doesn't help.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline WinterStar

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 9
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
I've never really liked Jason. He's too bland for me. But I love Piper, and I want her to be happy :D

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
Yeah I guess that's how a lot of fans feel I noticed.

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 33
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 01:48:50 AM »
*applauds* You guys pretty much summed up all of my feelings towards Piper and Jason.

I just finished Mark of Athena about an hour ago and holy freaking cow was it awesome. I have to say, one of the best and worst things about it was the lack of chapter from Jason's perspective. I was glad it wasn't in there because Jason's Roman-Percy-ness (wow) is overkill now and that's what his whole story line was for. However, Riordan missed a big chance to develop his character more.

ATLA Keeper of: On Ji's bangs, Ty Lee's love of pink, Ty Lee's aura, Ty Lee's flirting skills, and Ty Lee's eyes
LoK Keeper of: Pabu, Ikki's Spazziness, Lin's Badassness, Korra's rage face, all of the jazzy tunes

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:27 AM »
Well I don't know if you guys noticed, but Mark of Athena was all from the Greek camp's perspective: Percy, Annabeth, Nico, and Piper.

So I'm thinking the next book will focus on the rest of the heroes, the Roman camp. So that of course will be Jason, Hazel, and Frank. So maybe we will get some Jason development.

This is just my theory though, who knows what he'll do.

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 11:44:49 AM »
That makes sense, but I sure hope he isn't planning on not letting us see Percy and Annabeth until the next book after.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline aangismyhomie

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »
That makes sense, but I sure hope he isn't planning on not letting us see Percy and Annabeth until the next book after.

There would be some traveling to Texas and throttling if that happened. Also, anyone else here a fan of LeoXReyna?
Love is brightest in the dark :)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 09:05:49 PM »

Same. Or else this Ruler of the World will have some business she'll have to take care of. >D

There would be some traveling to Texas and throttling if that happened. Also, anyone else here a fan of LeoXReyna?

Er, I wouldn't be against it, but I doubt it will happen.

Offline aangismyhomie

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »

Er, I wouldn't be against it, but I doubt it will happen.

I admit it's unlikely, I just think it would be cute. However, Leo and Reyna both deserve a happy ending of some kind, even if it's not with each other. Rick Riordan seems to really be an expert at creating lovable characters and giving them crappy circumstances :(

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
That's because anyone who's involved with gods seems to have tragedy. It's kind of the basis of all mythology, I've noticed. XD

Offline aangismyhomie

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
That's because anyone who's involved with gods seems to have tragedy. It's kind of the basis of all mythology, I've noticed. XD

Yeah...I'm pretty sure that rule applies to anyone who's ever lived in Gotham City.

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
I actually though tLeo/Thalia would've been cute, if they figured out a believable approach to the whole "huntress" thing.

I also semi-ship Leo/Rachel because I want to live vicariously.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline aangismyhomie

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »
I actually though tLeo/Thalia would've been cute, if they figured out a believable approach to the whole "huntress" thing.

I also semi-ship Leo/Rachel because I want to live vicariously.

Yeah, I liked Leo/Thalia too. Weirdly enough, I like Rachel with Nico. Don't ask why.

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2012, 12:08:19 AM »
Rachel with Nico is a really interesting twist. I feel like Leo/Reyna will happen because of how lonely both of them are. It would be incredibly symbolic of truce if Reyna was dating a Greek (even on top of Jason/Piper because he had his memory wiped when he met her).

I didn't notice this was all from the Greek perspective. I hope Riordan decides to stick with 4 narrators rather than all Roman so we could hear from Leo. His story is so interesting, I can't imagine it being told solely through others' perspectives for the next book. Maybe Nico will narrate?

ATLA Keeper of: On Ji's bangs, Ty Lee's love of pink, Ty Lee's aura, Ty Lee's flirting skills, and Ty Lee's eyes
LoK Keeper of: Pabu, Ikki's Spazziness, Lin's Badassness, Korra's rage face, all of the jazzy tunes

Offline aangismyhomie

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2012, 01:15:41 AM »
Rachel with Nico is a really interesting twist. I feel like Leo/Reyna will happen because of how lonely both of them are. It would be incredibly symbolic of truce if Reyna was dating a Greek (even on top of Jason/Piper because he had his memory wiped when he met her).

I didn't notice this was all from the Greek perspective. I hope Riordan decides to stick with 4 narrators rather than all Roman so we could hear from Leo. His story is so interesting, I can't imagine it being told solely through others' perspectives for the next book. Maybe Nico will narrate?

Wow. This. Unfortunately I doubt Nico will narrate because he's not one of the seven, that would be a very interesting perspective though. Last night I was re-reading the beginning of The Titan's Curse and little Nico...AH. He was SO CUTE. "If you're the son of Poseidon does that mean you can surf really well?" XD

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2012, 01:52:07 AM »
I kinda miss little Nico. But he's still awesome.

Offline aangismyhomie

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 02:07:08 AM »
I kinda miss little Nico. But he's still awesome.

Oh totes, I love the guy. It just makes me a bit sad to see how he's changed, I think his path as a demigod has been especially rough.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 02:10:06 AM »
Probably rougher than most of the main characters, except maybe Hazel.

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 04:03:49 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide) Probably even rougher than Hazel because he actually spent time in Hell.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.