Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: 108-When Extremes Meet  (Read 2137 times)

Offline divsalley

• Fire Sage Divs
  • Councilwoman Divs / Global Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 85
  • Haters gonna Hate. :P
    • My Tumblr
108-When Extremes Meet
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:55:07 AM »
Description:
Saikhan's appointment as Chief of the Metalbending Police Force signals the tightening of Tarrlok's control over the city. Mako, Korra, Bolin, and Asami form Team Avatar and impede the Councilman's plans, much to his displeasure.

Discuss!

My Keeps (click to show/hide)
LoK Keeps (click to show/hide)Korra and Naga's Friendship
Korra's Sass
Mako's Seriousness
Mako's Scarf
The Finale Makorra Hug and Twirl

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)Zuko's Destiny
Zuko's Finale Speech
Zuko's Honor
Zuko's Inner Fire
Zuko's Speech to Ozai in DoBS

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • sig via tumblr, icon by delanynder
Re: 108-When Extremes Meet
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:58 AM »
Anyone else obsessed with Korra's and Tarrlok's fight? There was some pretty cool waterbending in there. Then Tarrlok make a water shield as Korra sent a continuing blast of fire at him. That was epic.

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

Offline divsalley

• Fire Sage Divs
  • Councilwoman Divs / Global Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 85
  • Haters gonna Hate. :P
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:28:53 AM »
To be honest this whole episode is made of win! Korra vs Tarrlok was AWESOME! My favorite part, however, was this line.

"You're our Avatar too." Just... WOW.

My Keeps (click to show/hide)
LoK Keeps (click to show/hide)Korra and Naga's Friendship
Korra's Sass
Mako's Seriousness
Mako's Scarf
The Finale Makorra Hug and Twirl

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)Zuko's Destiny
Zuko's Finale Speech
Zuko's Honor
Zuko's Inner Fire
Zuko's Speech to Ozai in DoBS

Offline MasterFirebender84

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 41
  • It's time for this world to end in fire!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »
I kid you not, I screamed so bloody loud when I realized Tarrlok was Bloodbending Korra. When they first froze, I was like, "Uh...what's going on?" And then he starts Bloodbending her and then I was majorly freaking out.

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

- General Iroh, the Dragon of the West -

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
I kid you not, I screamed so bloody loud when I realized Tarrlok was Bloodbending Korra. When they first froze, I was like, "Uh...what's going on?" And then he starts Bloodbending her and then I was majorly freaking out.
This. So much this.

At first I was kind of confused. I then heard those eerily familiar noises and proceeded to freak out.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
The noise that is made when bloodbending is just... Oh god. *shivers*

Everyone's story begins once upon a time...and it's up to us to cherish the time we're given to ensure we live happily ever after.

• Round 1!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:18:38 PM »
The noise that is made when bloodbending is just... Oh god. *shivers*

I hear ya, man. That noise literally sends shivers up and down my spine like no tomorrow.

Remember that scene where Yakone was Bloodbending Aang? Stuff of blood nightmares right there.

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »
Oh definitely.

And yes. Blood nightmares indeed.

Offline BleuMakorra

• Professional stalker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 30
  • Now I cant even imagine my life without you in it.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:21 PM »
And simply the fact that you can make a person bend in that way just makes me further understand why Katara pushed so hard to make it illegal.

~Makorra~

• Round 1!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »
And simply the fact that you can make a person bend in that way just makes me further understand why Katara pushed so hard to make it illegal.

No kidding. I'm sure after she found out what Yakone had tried to do to Aang, she'd be even more hellbent on outlawing Bloodbending.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »

That and a number of other reasons, I'm sure. I've no doubt any one bloodbending Aang, Toph and Sokka (or any of her friends) would have made her furious.

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline BleuMakorra

• Professional stalker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 30
  • Now I cant even imagine my life without you in it.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 06:32:10 PM »
At first, I'm pretty sure didn't even bother telling her because know Katara she probably would have been worried out of her mind and yeah I agree totally. Anyone hoping that Bryke might give us flashbacks on this. The entire scene with Yakone, Tarrlok and Noatak really made me want to see want happened with this thing.

~Makorra~

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
That'd be awesome, but I'd imagine Katara would flip if Aang casually walked in and mentioned he'd nearly been bloodbent to death. Thean again, I'm sure anyone would of their spouse said something like that.

• Round 1!
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »
And I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy who nearly killed Katara's husband.

'Cause hell hath no fury like an enraged Waterbender.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
Indeed! Sometimes, I wonder if leaving Katara to deal with Yakone would've been a worse punishment than Aang stripping him of his bending. xD

Offline teatimeallthetime

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 16
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 01:51:40 AM »

haha, oh masterfirebender, nicely (and hilariously) put.

I LOVED this episode, it was hands down one of my favorites of the series. I loved how bryke really played into the whole "who's really the bad guy here?" thing. In ATLA the villains were clearly portrayed as so, and obviously, Tarrlok is rotten to the core, but he is(/was) still in a position of leadership in the city. And he started using his power to abuse nonbenders, employing curfews and stuff? Very reminiscent of Hitler's curfews for German Jews.

Also, until I saw the finale, this episode convinced me that Tarrlok was Amon. "There's a lot of things you don't know about me." Um, WHAT, Tarrlok??

Offline Nightcrawler

• Round 2!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 02:12:56 AM »
Indeed! Sometimes, I wonder if leaving Katara to deal with Yakone would've been a worse punishment than Aang stripping him of his bending. xD
It probably would have been. XD

haha, oh masterfirebender, nicely (and hilariously) put.

I LOVED this episode, it was hands down one of my favorites of the series. I loved how bryke really played into the whole "who's really the bad guy here?" thing. In ATLA the villains were clearly portrayed as so, and obviously, Tarrlok is rotten to the core, but he is(/was) still in a position of leadership in the city. And he started using his power to abuse nonbenders, employing curfews and stuff? Very reminiscent of Hitler's curfews for German Jews.

Also, until I saw the finale, this episode convinced me that Tarrlok was Amon. "There's a lot of things you don't know about me." Um, WHAT, Tarrlok??
Same here! I thought Tarrlok was Amon too!

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 06:44:15 PM »
This. I FREAKED OUT. O_O

the doctor is out...

Offline Waterbender16

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 06:11:00 PM »
Officially my favorite Book 1 episode!
It won me right from thart: the hilarious airbending tykes and their jokes, Meelo falling for Asami and trying to make Naga fly like a sky bison, Ikki giving away Korra's secret crush Mako to the wrong person, Korra's reaction, the first few minutes were a knock-out!
And then comes the touching part. Korra bonding more and more with Mako, Bolin and Asami, forming the new Team Avatar and supporting one another.
This episode wraps with an amazing fight scene between Korra and Tarrlok. Even if the Avatar lost, it was one of the best fight scenes of the season.
A truly great episode, best of Book 1 in my opinion.

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 02:02:57 AM »
To be honest this whole episode is made of win! Korra vs Tarrlok was AWESOME! My favorite part, however, was this line.

"You're our Avatar too." Just... WOW.

This.

And this.  That was so powerful.  Even now, knowing it's coming up, it makes my skin creep a bit.

Meelo to Asami: “You’re pretty!  Can I have some of your hair?”  Makes me wonder if Meelo might offer competition to Korra, too.

No matter how old I get, I will always love Korra’s “fire and lightning” reaction to Ikki.  And Ikki’s mini-Avatar State reaction to being told to “run along”.  XD  And Asami’s reaction to the whole thing was pure class.

About the “half-baked Avatar in training” line: Tarrlok clearly has his spies out there too, to know Korra’s Airbending troubles.  I wonder how many of them work for Amon as well?

The over the shoulder shot of Korra looking at Aang’s statute in the bay by night is breathtaking.

Re Asami’s “Korra Krew” wheels: I look forward to seeing what new vehicles she puts at the Avatar’s disposal.  And I wonder what the Korra Kave might look like.  (For that matter, I wonder how Batman would handle the Equalists?”

Mako’s quick-draw lightning shots kinda bother me.  Zuko has all kinds of trouble with the technique, and here’s somebody who can shoot lightning even faster than Azula.  I wonder where and how he learned that?

So how did the power get turned off?  And why is it that Tarrlok automatically condemned all the people from Dragon Flats as Equalists?  Why create new enemies?  Shortsighted, Tarrlok.

The Dragon Flats people are entitled to due process under the law, Tenzin says.  I wonder what “due process” amounts to in Republic City--with or without a five member junta running things.

The snowshots of Republic City harbor are gorgeous.

Speaking of Tarrlok’s shortsightedness: he has all the cards in his hands, and the Council, and yet he still feels he has to attack Korra.  Insecure wimp.  XD

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.