Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 4893 times)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
That could mean anything though. It's not the first time they threw us for a loop.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 28
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
Matt Smith said he will no longer be the Doctor after the christmas special :O

Offline GothicAngel

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 90
  • All roads lead to Rome, but we ain't goin' to Rome
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
0_0
Not too sure how I feel about that.
I'm gonna miss Matt Smith and all, but I really wanna see the new doctor.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
I heard otherwise. Unless he suddenly changed his plans, I heard not too long ago that he's doing another season.

Online Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 02:51:13 PM »
They said he was the next Doctor in that epsidoe!
No, it said he was "The Doctor", albeit inaccurately as Eleven had just said he didn't perform those actions 'in the name of the Doctor'. He was more likely the incarnation from the Time War that the others disowned. Eleven already knew about him, so obviously he's from the past.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2013, 08:24:43 PM »
They said he was the next Doctor in that epsidoe!
No, it said he was "The Doctor", albeit inaccurately as Eleven had just said he didn't perform those actions 'in the name of the Doctor'. He was more likely the incarnation from the Time War that the others disowned. Eleven already knew about him, so obviously he's from the past.

YES!! THANK YOU! SOMEONE GETS IT! It never said he was the "next" doctor.

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »
But if that's true then Matt Smith is the last Doctor as Time Lords only have 12 lives.

More importantly that was his Time Stream in the future which means that John could indeed be the Next Doctor! We can't write that off yet.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 08:59:05 PM »
Er, what? Since when was Time Lords only having 12 lives a fact?

I still don't think he is. He has something to do with the 50th anniversary, that I know. But Matt has said he's doing another season.

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »
The confirmed the 12 lives thing in Dr. Who Magazine

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »
That info seems to be outdated now though. At the time that rule was placed, they probably never thought they would even get that far. It was most likely merely a throwaway comment that wasn't that big of a deal. But of course fans had to make it a big deal. Now that the show is incredibly popular, it would just be stupid to end on the 12 regeneration.

From this, I think we can safely say that info is now false:

Quote (selected)
The BBC's Series 4 FAQ suggests that now the Time Lord social order has been destroyed, the Doctor may be able to circumvent the limit on regenerations; it says: "Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives." In Death of the Doctor (a 2010 The Sarah Jane Adventures serial), the Eleventh Doctor responds to a question from Clyde Langer by saying he can regenerate "507" times. Early news reports, before the episode was broadcast, suggested he would say there is no limit to the number of regenerations. Writer Russell T Davies explained in an interview with SFX that the line was not intended to be taken seriously and is instead a commentary. He insisted that the "thirteen lives" rule was too deeply entrenched in the viewer consciousness for his throwaway line to affect it.

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2013, 10:33:19 PM »
Dr. Who is one of those things I've had on my "To watch" list for a long while.

BUT. Do you ever associate a certain subject/thing with someone you really didn't get along with? That's kind of my experience with the show. Once upon a time I had an absolutely AWFUL room-mate who seemed nice/stable before we actually lived with him (I'm not exaggerating: this guy was nuts and drove me and my husband into moving out with his behavior, but that's a subject for another thread.) Anyways, he was OBSESSED with Dr. Who. He'd blast his recordings of it at odd hours: screaming at the TV (read: characters), laughing hysterically, and just general shouting. He'd make Who references at extremely inappropriate times. And try to give advice, attaching episodes I should watch in relation to Dr. Who alongside it. See, normally I'm cool with that kind of stuff - but he took it to a completely different level. He would try to force me into watching the show - often times when I was immersed in other activities and just seriously not interested. He finally got me to watch an episode, but it was out of sequence and I was seriously confused. So when he asked if I liked it, I responded (truthfully) that I didn't. And then he literally got all passive aggressive about it. Every time I watched a show and he was in the room, he'd scoff and start muttering things like, "And I suppose THIS is better than Dr. Who", etc. And this seriously went on and even escalated. I don't think I've ever experienced true fanboy rage until upsetting this guy.

So, to make a long (but hilarious) story short ... I wanted to give the series as a whole another chance and watch it in sequence so I understand it. But I can't seem to shake the memories of my roommate in relation to the show since then. Any suggestions? XD

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »
Okay I have to say it... I HATE ROSE TYLER!

She's always getting the Doctor into more trouble than she's worth! how many times has she almost been the indirect/direct reason the world/existence is about to end?

RAWSR

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »
Dr. Who is one of those things I've had on my "To watch" list for a long while.

BUT. Do you ever associate a certain subject/thing with someone you really didn't get along with? That's kind of my experience with the show. Once upon a time I had an absolutely AWFUL room-mate who seemed nice/stable before we actually lived with him (I'm not exaggerating: this guy was nuts and drove me and my husband into moving out with his behavior, but that's a subject for another thread.) Anyways, he was OBSESSED with Dr. Who. He'd blast his recordings of it at odd hours: screaming at the TV (read: characters), laughing hysterically, and just general shouting. He'd make Who references at extremely inappropriate times. And try to give advice, attaching episodes I should watch in relation to Dr. Who alongside it. See, normally I'm cool with that kind of stuff - but he took it to a completely different level. He would try to force me into watching the show - often times when I was immersed in other activities and just seriously not interested. He finally got me to watch an episode, but it was out of sequence and I was seriously confused. So when he asked if I liked it, I responded (truthfully) that I didn't. And then he literally got all passive aggressive about it. Every time I watched a show and he was in the room, he'd scoff and start muttering things like, "And I suppose THIS is better than Dr. Who", etc. And this seriously went on and even escalated. I don't think I've ever experienced true fanboy rage until upsetting this guy.

So, to make a long (but hilarious) story short ... I wanted to give the series as a whole another chance and watch it in sequence so I understand it. But I can't seem to shake the memories of my roommate in relation to the show since then. Any suggestions? XD

Yeesh. I can sorta relate. Although this has nothing to do with someone. It was an anime series where I got way too invested in a ship and when it didn't happen I got irrationally pissed. I can't watch the anime anymore because I'm reminded of how stupid I was back then. It taught me never to take shipping too seriously though, which has benefited me a lot..

Anyways, I'd say possibly start at the 9th Doctor's episodes, which is season 1 of the new Doctor Who series. If that doesn't work and you don't like it, doesn't mean you won't like the series at all, you may just have to check out some other episodes. Like Blink, really good one.

Online Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2013, 12:06:41 AM »
I'd recommend watching it from 'Rose' onward, like Fe said.

However, 'Vincent and the Doctor' is just a fantastic episode and, besides it, I don't think that many episodes can get you onboard immediately without some prompting other than 'Blink'. 'Blink' and 'Vincent and the Doctor' are great. Blink is a great standalone work of fiction, whereas VatD lets you see the Doctor himself and allows you to figure out what to expect from the show. It's one of the early-Moffat-run highlights, it truly is.

Some people need a good episode to inspire them to start watching at all, and for that I'd recommend one of those two.

I also really enjoyed Voyage of the Damned.
<< Post Merge: May 29, 2013, 12:09:04 AM >>

But if that's true then Matt Smith is the last Doctor as Time Lords only have 12 lives.

More importantly that was his Time Stream in the future which means that John could indeed be the Next Doctor! We can't write that off yet.
Time Lords, yes. That doesn't necessarily mean Gallifreyans. Time Lord is a position. It could've just been a law they had to abide by. Now that they're rid of, the Doctor could regenerate a vast number of times.

In fact, in one of the classic serials, there was an incarnation of the Doctor known as the Valeyard that was said to exist somewhere between his twelfth and final incarnation. The 12 rule doesn't really apply to him.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:09:04 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2013, 12:31:20 AM »
I kinda want to recommend Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead. But it might still be confusing for some newer people.

As I said about this 12 lives thing:

That info seems to be outdated now though. At the time that rule was placed, they probably never thought they would even get that far. It was most likely merely a throwaway comment that wasn't that big of a deal. But of course fans had to make it a big deal. Now that the show is incredibly popular, it would just be stupid to end on the 12 regeneration.

From this, I think we can safely say that info is now false:

Quote (selected)
The BBC's Series 4 FAQ suggests that now the Time Lord social order has been destroyed, the Doctor may be able to circumvent the limit on regenerations; it says: "Now that his people are gone, who knows? Time Lords used to have 13 lives." In Death of the Doctor (a 2010 The Sarah Jane Adventures serial), the Eleventh Doctor responds to a question from Clyde Langer by saying he can regenerate "507" times. Early news reports, before the episode was broadcast, suggested he would say there is no limit to the number of regenerations. Writer Russell T Davies explained in an interview with SFX that the line was not intended to be taken seriously and is instead a commentary. He insisted that the "thirteen lives" rule was too deeply entrenched in the viewer consciousness for his throwaway line to affect it.

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 01:07:32 PM »
Actually Seluna! You can watch them out of order and enjoy them. You just have to find the right one to get you hooked.

What happened to me was this. I was at a friend's house and they were like "let's watch Doctor Who" and I was like "I don't know, I've never seen it before. I have a feeling I'll become obessed"

"No no don't it'll be fine"

Then Ze showed me the episode "Time of Angels" but didn't have the episode afterwards... and yeah.. hooked forever!

My suggestion is this, if you can watch Time of Angels and not need to know what happens next, I would say Who will not be your next fandom. 

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »
I don't know how you were able to watch Time of Angels and not be confused, I know I would've if I watched it before watching Blink.

Yeah when I got into the show at first, I watched them out of order because that's the way they were airing. I'd watch them in order if I were you, but that's just me. I usually prefer watching things in order even if they're episodic.

Offline lilithxchan

• Metalbender
  • Round 1!
  • Korrasami Expert
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
I am from Tumblr I knew what Angels were before watching the episode. Didn't understand them completely until that episode but still.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
Ah, I see. I didn't know about them at all. I only had heard of the angels from some thing KF did once, but I had no idea they had anything to do with Doctor Who.

Online Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2013, 02:09:44 AM »
Ah, I see. I didn't know about them at all. I only had heard of the angels from some thing KF did once, but I had no idea they had anything to do with Doctor Who.
I saw them in a KF gifsig and I had no idea what Chaka was talking about half the time. xD

AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.