Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: writing seminar (update 2 on 5/14 - developing characters )  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Noodles Aang Colbert

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 136
  • Wonder what kind of cupcakes they like?
writing seminar (update 2 on 5/14 - developing characters )
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:47:47 AM »
So there is this seminar about the step to having a novel from planning to publishing, marketing, and promoting.  It's a 6 week (once a week) seminar starting in May.  I'm interested but not fully committed just yet.  I thought about placing this in the help section but thought it might be more suited here because if I do decide to sign up I'll share some of the information I get here. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:06:38 AM by Noodles Aang Colbert »
If you want my Facebook, Tumblr, or Twitter contact just ask! :D

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
Re: writing seminar
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:10:02 AM »
That would be great!  It's been awhile since we've had any tutorials here since I finished my lessons. :)
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:14:56 AM »
That'd be wonderful, like A6 said. ^^'

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 03:47:52 AM »
That sounds really great. I'd like to be a part of this and I'll try to actually participate more this time.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 03:51:37 AM »
Me too! I didn't really participate much in the other stuff. ^^'

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 03:54:57 AM »
I tried but 2013 was a really rough year for me and I just had a hundred things going on at once.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 04:02:02 AM »
Yeah, I can understand. ^^'

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 06:59:14 AM »
Here's to hoping this year is a little better!

Offline Water Lily

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 137
  • ~Waterbender Lily~
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
It sounds awesome! Really looking forward to it!

~To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.~

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
Re: writing seminar (update 1 on 5/7 :D )
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:10 AM »
Alright had the first part of the seminar tonight but I'm a little tired so I'll post some now and some later this week. 
The first thing we talked about was the concept of the book.  It's basically your entire story compressed down to a 3 step process. 

1: Often referred to as the attention getter sentence.  When you've written an essay or paper you're told to make an attention getter sentence.  An example would be something like 'Will the Avatar be able to restore balance and stop the Fire Nation?'

2: What is the concept of your story? Often this is an expansion of the first sentence.

3: What is the concept idea of your book?  Imagine these 3 sentences as the caption that you see on the back of any book you might find.

We were also giving this link:
https://www.autocrit.com/
I haven't tried this site just let, but from what was explained you can sign up and copy a 1,000 words or fewer section in there per day for free to get more than that you have to pay.  It does not cover punctuation and I was told many times it changes " to '.  It also tells you if you use certain words too many times and gives suggestions.

Another site that checks for plagiarism and punctuation sadly I believe you have to pay for this but they do offer a free trial which I have not yet tried:
http://www.grammarly.com/

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
This sounds like a really interesting seminar and those links look really useful!

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 01:05:56 AM »
Alright I've got some stuff on characters which to me is pretty useful.  It's important to keep a chart of your characters and have some things filled out and adjust when needed.  The key issue that was stressed here was consistency of a characters physical and personal traits.  We were given charts that we can use but I'll post the columns here. 
-name
-where do they live
-where are they from
-nicknames/deviation of birth name
-what was their childhood like
-what do they do for a living
-how do they deal with change

Next is physical characteristics of each character.  How I interpreted it s being something like how would you put a gif of a character into words to convey the character. 
-hair color
-eye color
-height
-build
-skin color
Ethnicity is something that can be added but not something that is necessary or sometimes not wise to add in fiction.  You don't want to offend someone of infer something by writing outside of your own ethnicity and allow the reader to do that.  It's important to have characters easier to relate to.
-add some key characteristics of the character

Hopefully sometime this weekend I will remember to post more.  I forgot last week.  :/

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
Re: writing seminar (update 2 on 5/14 - developing characters )
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
Not bad, although in my opinion you don't necessarily need all those stats for your characters, especially when it's not important to the overall story. Like not every character has or needs a nickname, and depending on the character you don't always need to know what they do for a living or what they're childhood was like. I have characters that were practically grown out of a test tube, what do you think they're childhood was like? And what do you think a kid character does for a living besides the obvious?

The one thing I'm not so good at is figuring out their height and build or how to explain it.

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »
The charts are mainly for the author to use not necessarily for the readers.  You're right in that it's not always important however the point made was that you don't want to mention that a character has green eyes and later say they have blue eyes for example. Keep in mind these are generic charts for all stories and it is impossible to complete all the spaces especially when you first start out writing the story.  The longer the story the more important keeping something like this is.

Being grown out of a testtube is their childhood so that would be used in that space and what that character feels about that.   It depends on the story for what a child character does for a living.  It really depends on their age and time period.  It is were based on a time period where children began working at age 12 then it would be different from someone from 2014 at age 12. 

Height is a tricky and I usually gauge.  You don't want character a taller than character b then later it being reversed (unless they have grown older over time but that should haen noted at some point so then it would be okay).
For build I usually go with muscular, athletic, etc.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 01:26:49 AM »
I don't really get how people can forget what eye color their character is, especially once you start writing, but I digress. I'm only pointing out not to stress too much to create every single detail of a character's existence when there's more important factors to focus on like the physical aspects or the plot.

I only meant test tube as an example. I personally think that the things people should chart out whatever they want for the character that they feel is crucial and not worry too much on following those column of the personal traits to a T.

However I would definitely stress that the physical traits are important, I actually forget to chart them myself all the time and then I can't remember what my character is supposed to look like. XD Course I'm constantly changing their physical aspects anyways since I haven't gotten to the part where I'm actually writing about them.
What do you mean by gauge?

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 03:36:44 AM »
The nice thing about creating your own character is that you, the author, probably know more about them than readers will, so the chart is helpful for things like that. Readers don't need to know everything...as much as we'd like to! XD

Honestly, I've read series where physical traits were emphasized and series were they weren't. The author of one of my favorite series hasn't given the readers much description of the protagonist's appearence, etc. (and she's five books into the series of at least seven!), but then I've read series where the main character(s) is/are given pretty detailed descriptions, so it's hard not to picture them a certain way. So, really, it's up to the author whether or not they even really need a chart and want to use it. I've never used one myself because I've always imagined my characters a certain way, but that information is really useful nonetheless! ^^

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.