Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: 105-The Spirit of Competition  (Read 2259 times)

Offline divsalley

• Fire Sage Divs
  • Councilwoman Divs / Global Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 85
  • Haters gonna Hate. :P
    • My Tumblr
105-The Spirit of Competition
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »
Description:
The pro-bending championships are about to start. However, Korra and her teammates struggle to work together after romantic rivalries shake their foundation and threaten to end their championship bid.

Discuss!

My Keeps (click to show/hide)
LoK Keeps (click to show/hide)Korra and Naga's Friendship
Korra's Sass
Mako's Seriousness
Mako's Scarf
The Finale Makorra Hug and Twirl

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)Zuko's Destiny
Zuko's Finale Speech
Zuko's Honor
Zuko's Inner Fire
Zuko's Speech to Ozai in DoBS

Offline The Banished Prince

• Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 53
Re: 105-The Spirit of Competition
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:58:15 PM »
After just rewatching this episode, I still really don't understand the hate it receives.

Some people feel that it's too heavily focused on shipping. I don't feel that's a valid criticism, and that's coming from someone who isn't a big shipper, by any means. I felt it had a great mix of humor, action, and plot. Yes, the plot of the episode was about Korra's relationship with the fabulous bending brothers, but I'm pretty sure it also had the most probending screen time of any episode, and that's a plus in my book.

Others are quick to dismiss it as filler. I'd argue that by introducing Tahno and Wolfbats and establishing some character traits for them, it indirectly advanced the main plot of the story. I say this because it set them up as significant enough characters that when Amon would take their bending away in the next episode, it would have an emotional impact and they could be viewed as martyrs.

I also find this particular criticism to be humorous, because for the most part the fandom complains about the subplots not getting enough time to be expanded upon. And here we he the one episode that does give extensive time to a subplot, and yet it's one of the most hated episodes of the series.

I actually really enjoy it.

Let go your earthly tether. Enter the void. Empty and become wind.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »
Yeah, I don't really understand the hate either. ^^' I can see where it comes from, but I honestly didn't think the episode focused on the shipping and such. True, there was the scene with the bending brothers and Korra towards the end, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't meant to be the main focus of the episode.

Others are quick to dismiss it as filler. I'd argue that by introducing Tahno and Wolfbats and establishing some character traits for them, it indirectly advanced the main plot of the story. I say this because it set them up as significant enough characters that when Amon would take their bending away in the next episode, it would have an emotional impact and they could be viewed as martyrs.

I also find this particular criticism to be humorous, because for the most part the fandom complains about the subplots not getting enough time to be expanded upon. And here we he the one episode that does give extensive time to a subplot, and yet it's one of the most hated episodes of the series.

I actually really enjoy it.

I agree! I don't think any of the episodes really were fillers; there were only twelve and there was a lot going on in them and Bryke had so much to tell, I don't think they'd have had enough time to make fillers for the first season. As for the hate the episode gets, I can't really understand it. ^^' I know the kiss scene towards the end was pretty irritating to a good majority of the fandom (still can't understand why, but maybe I'm just slow XD) but it wasn't as if the entire episode revolved around that one scene; the probending was really fun to watch and Korra's knockout was amazing! All in all, I really liked this episode, despite whatever qualms a lot of people had with it. ^^'

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:12:55 AM »
Yeah I've come to like it a lot. Some of the funniest moments of the series and the romance was still just on 'teenage crush' mode so everything is believable and entertaining.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 01:21:22 AM »
I'm just not a big romance fan, and romance isn't exclusive to shipping.

(says the Tokka fan)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 01:28:04 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

• Metalbender
  • Round 2!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 01:31:14 AM »
Some of the funniest moments of the series

I think it is probably the funniest episode of the series.

(says the Tokka fan)

Do you at least appreciate the rest of the episode for what it is?

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:41:37 AM »
Appreciate? I mean, I know why it's there, I can see it's significance with the rest of the storyline, how it sets up the latter part of the series or at least sets the tone for the explosive next episode. I can see it as a character building episode.

But did I like it? I don't think so, but then again I'd be hard pressed to say that I liked much of Korra. :/ Sorry.

• Metalbender
  • Round 2!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »
But did I like it? I don't think so, but then again I'd be hard pressed to say that I liked much of Korra. :/ Sorry.

Nothing to be sorry about.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 06:09:19 AM »

(says the Tokka fan)

Tokka brings out even the unromantic fans. I think. XD

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Online Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 01:47:02 AM »
Screw this episode. I hate love triangles. Nine out of ten times they are bad. That scene where Bolin ran off sobbing was just laughable. If he would've just left silently, it would have been much better. And I mentioned before that I hate Tahno both as a character and that he seemed to be more of an archetype.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:30 AM »
Screw this episode. I hate love triangles. Nine out of ten times they are bad. That scene where Bolin ran off sobbing was just laughable. If he would've just left silently, it would have been much better. And I mentioned before that I hate Tahno both as a character and that he seemed to be more of an archetype.
Bryke took Bolin's pain and turned it into a punchline, and that always intensely bothered me.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 04:26:22 AM »
Bryke took Bolin's pain and turned it into a punchline, and that always intensely bothered me.

Yup.

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Waterbender16

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 5
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 06:46:10 PM »
Bolin's comfort food scene was just hilarious!!! XD

But poor guy got his heart broken... :'(

Good episode overall.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »
I still kinda hate this episode. This is not how you develop a romance and pulling a love dodecahedron on the show was a bad idea. If you're bad with romance to begin with, you're really screwed once you introduce a dodecahedron.

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 10:12:10 PM »
And in this case, I would really not know the other 17 sides.  The 3 they had were enough.  More than enough.

And most definitely this.  I really felt bad for Bolin when he saw that kiss; to have him run away after that I could understand, but that... Mike and Bryan should not have made that scene laughable.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 11:49:03 PM »
A love Dodecahedron is a trope name for when the love situation goes a little crazy and you have multiple people loving different people.

And I can't disagree about Bolin. They should've taken the situation more seriously and not made it into a joke just because Bolin is the funny guy.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 01:29:00 AM »
A love Dodecahedron is a trope name for when the love situation goes a little crazy and you have multiple people loving different people.

So Asami's got something for Tahno, then.  :D

So, the rewatch: I wonder where on earth--er, where in the world--Ikki got the recipe for her love potion.  Her idea of romantic situations and Jinora's: more fanfics.  XD  (Although arguably...)

The "Future Industries Fire Ferrets".  I wonder if professional Probending sponsorship ever became a thing.

"Korra's obviously had her nose to the grindstone."  It's always interesting when expressions from our world wind up in Avatar.

Re Naga and Tahno: Naga's a good Probender bender.  XD  And re Korra's and Bolin's belching contest: I wonder if Aang was elbowing Roku during that.  Or maybe thought about inviting Korra into the Spirit World for a challenge.

It was nice to see that Korra can think on her feet and do something other than fight.  When she bothers.

Love the Big Kabosh.  XD

This still hurts.  This just... it still hurts.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 04:19:27 AM »
Well not all lines in a love dodecahedron connect, Wulf. And Tahno's not technically part of it anyways.

But it made for a great meme. I'm sorry, but the Kissing Korra meme is my favorite from the fandom.

Offline wherewulf

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 06:15:24 PM »
That we know of.  Given the Internet, though, I bet there's a Tahno-Asami crackship out there someplace.

So not all the lines connect, huh?  Some dodecahedron that is.  :P  And I remember that meme.  It was good and ridiculous.

While I'm at it, that ref giving Korra the "yellow fan" was a nice touch.  :D

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2017, 04:24:54 AM »
I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Blech.

Blame TV Tropes for that, their tropes don't always make sense. But to be fair love triangles don't usually connect either.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.