Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Musicians: What Are You Learning?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
Musicians: What Are You Learning?
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:35:59 PM »
This is for all musicians across the forum! No matter what your instrument, come tell us what you're learning here! I'm working on three pieces right now. I just finished this one (beautiful), and now I'm doing these:

(piano part)

And I'm conducting an orchestral arrangement of a dozen instruments for this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWBm0Z-Xww

What are y'all working on?

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: Musicians: What Are You Learning?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
That's amazing! And it must be such fun to conduct an orchestra!

...does singing count? I stopped playing instruments years ago, but I'm learning to sing a song my music teacher composed. XD

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:34:07 PM »
And it must be such fun to conduct an orchestra!
It's insanely difficult. There are over 9000 things going on in your head at once and you have to be doing 8 different things with each different hand, communicate with your eyes, and still turn pages. It's insanity. :P

You should make a recording of the song when you learn it! :)

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:07:24 PM »
I'd never last as a conductor, but I'm sure you'll do great! ^_^

And, I could record the song, but it's not in english and I might cause permanent ear damage; I sound awful on recordings though. XD

Set from tumblr. ę Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Natti

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 75
    • Natti's deviantART Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 03:52:01 AM »
Currently I'm rehearsing for several Christmas performances. First up will be the school band performance on Tuesday in which I will be playing vibraphone in "A Home Alone Christmas" and chimes in "Patapan". Next I have our church Chirstmas Festival orchestra in which I play glockenspiel (and I have one suspend cymbal roll in one song).

Aaaaand lastly, myself and two friends will be playing an arrangement of "Angels We Have Heard on High" as prelude for church on the 15th. I arranged it back in September and I'm playing recorder. My friends will be on oboe and piano. I'm pretty excited about it because it took a while to arrange, but we really need to schedule another group rehearsal. We've only had one so far, and though it went pretty well, there were a few spots, especially in the piano part, that needed more work (in her defense, the piano part is pretty difficult in some places; lots of runs.)

And it must be such fun to conduct an orchestra!
It's insanely difficult. There are over 9000 things going on in your head at once and you have to be doing 8 different things with each different hand, communicate with your eyes, and still turn pages. It's insanity. :P

My goodness, you should see our conductor. She gets reeeeeally into it and enthusiastically mouths the words with the choir. She's hilarious. XD

Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart. <3

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »
That's a lot of uncommon instruments, Natti. I think that is AWESOME! I wish society was more musically inclined. NO ONE I know outside my church plays instruments, lol.

I'm curious! What software did you use to arrange your piece? I've been using MuseScore and it works wonderfully, but am curious is you use anything else?

Offline Natti

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 75
    • Natti's deviantART Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:57:58 PM »
They're not really that uncommon. XD Just your usual melodic percussion. Well, except the recorder, of course. XD

Anyways, I use Finale Songwriter. :) It has a few annoying limitations, such as the 8-stave maximum, but considering the price compared to other music programs, it's a pretty good deal.

I tried to upload the midi file so I could post it here, but it wasn't working. Perhaps I'll try again later.

Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart. <3

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 08:57:02 PM »
They're not really that uncommon. XD Just your usual melodic percussion. Well, except the recorder, of course. XD

Anyways, I use Finale Songwriter. :) It has a few annoying limitations, such as the 8-stave maximum, but considering the price compared to other music programs, it's a pretty good deal.

I tried to upload the midi file so I could post it here, but it wasn't working. Perhaps I'll try again later.
Indeed, I would love to hear it! I arranged an 11-track orchestra piece of Test Drive from HTTYD using MuseScore. It is a fantastic program that has very few limitations once you get to know it. And it was free. SCORE

Offline Amun-Ra

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 0
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:31 PM »
This is for all musicians across the forum! No matter what your instrument, come tell us what you're learning here! I'm working on three pieces right now. I just finished this one (beautiful), and now I'm doing these:

(piano part)

And I'm conducting an orchestral arrangement of a dozen instruments for this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWBm0Z-Xww

What are y'all working on?

Hey!

How long have you been playing for?

I started playing piano roughly one year ago (on and off). I haven't had any lessons but would like to book some soon.

The piece I've just finished learning:

Offline Purpl Jely Been :)

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 18
  • I'm such a dork! ^_^
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 11:47:23 PM »
I'm learning how to play guitar :) I just got a new acoustic guitar for my birthday not too long ago.
I also convinced my school band director to get the score for HTTYD. ;) It's not the exact score, but it has 'This is Berk' and 'Coming back around'. They both are arranged a little differently from the real version, but it's still very fun to play. xD

Toothless: 'Meep'

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.