Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Any vampire/werewolf novels that aren't washed out teen dramas?  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Any vampire/werewolf novels that aren't washed out teen dramas?
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »
OMG. I was channeling surfing and saw a drama called "Bitten" on syfy just started. A knee-jerk reaction, I had to check it out (anticipating disappointment like I've had so many times in the past). They made it. They finally made it! "Bitten" has been stuck in script limbo by WB forever. It's a tv drama not a silver screen movie, but I'll take it.

The only crimes so far is Clay is without his deep southern accent (an absolute travesty) and Elena is supposed to be a tom boy but has been in nothing but dresses and slips that belong on Sex in the City. (Maybe she'll be more casual when she goes home...)

Otherwise I'm so excited I can't stand it. This is a 10 year dream realized without warning in the middle of the night.

Holding my breath for their wolf portrayals. Better not be cgi vomit!!

This isn't based on the books you've recommended to me are they?

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:11 AM »
OMG. I was channeling surfing and saw a drama called "Bitten" on syfy just started. A knee-jerk reaction, I had to check it out (anticipating disappointment like I've had so many times in the past). They made it. They finally made it! "Bitten" has been stuck in script limbo by WB forever. It's a tv drama not a silver screen movie, but I'll take it.

The only crimes so far is Clay is without his deep southern accent (an absolute travesty) and Elena is supposed to be a tom boy but has been in nothing but dresses and slips that belong on Sex in the City. (Maybe she'll be more casual when she goes home...)

Otherwise I'm so excited I can't stand it. This is a 10 year dream realized without warning in the middle of the night.

Holding my breath for their wolf portrayals. Better not be cgi vomit!!

This isn't based on the books you've recommended to me are they?
It is.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Hukeyohi

• Lightningbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 30
  • Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
Okay, so for a long time I've been working on my own vampire/werewolf mafia story, Bloodshot Moon. I've been wanting to do some good research like actually reading vampire/werewolf books, but I have a problem. Everything I've come across seems to be another stupid and cliche teen romance drama like Twilight. I really have no business reading those types of books, because my series, although YA does not reflect those types of novels in anyway whatsoever.

I want something cool and good, it doesn't even need to be romance, unless it's an actual well done romance story. So what I'm asking is if you guys ever read any vampire novels that I'd be interested in? Any good ones out there?

Steven Saville has a trilogy [can be bought as a single book] based around the Warhammer universe that involves vampires primarily.  It is certainly not a teen drama. 
The trilogy as a single book is called Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy
Individually the books are called: Inheritance, Dominion, and Retribution [in that order]

I don't know really anything about warhammer or it's games [and mediums] other than this trilogy.  It's a really good fantasy book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Carstein

The signature police made me delete one. Q_Q

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
Yeah I don't know anything about Warhammer either, but it sounds interesting so I'll keep a look out for it.

Offline Leafeon

• Waterbending Healer
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 51
    • GoFundMe
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2014, 02:55:41 AM »
Okay, I'm surprised no one has suggested this yet, but...

Lestat by Anne Rice. She's amazing. There is some mature content, but nothing too bad. It's a vampire novel and very interesting. There are 3(?) books in the series. There's also The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice. Now this one I haven't read, but it's about werewolves or shape shifting wolves. I think there is more than one book and ongoing?

Then my most favorite series that I love - with action - is the Nightshade chronicles by Andrea Cremer. Oh my gosh, it is so good. Yes, there is some teen love, but it certainly isn't Twilight. The main character, Calla, basically just gets her life torn apart. But it all ends well(?). She's making more books (that fans demanded) but... For being books made just for the fans, they are pretty good. I wouldn't call them "werewolves" since they aren't, but they are shape shifters.

EDIT:
A small thing from Cremer's website: "While other teenage girls daydream about boys, Calla Tor imagines ripping out her enemies’ throats. And she wouldn’t have it any other way. Calla was born a warrior and on her eighteenth-birthday she’ll become the alpha female of the next generation of Guardian wolves…"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:09:40 AM by Leafeon »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 11:57:04 PM »
I like Calla Tor already. She'd fit in quite well with my own story, Blood Shot Moon.

Well except for the fact that my werewolves are a little more classy. Many pretty much run a mafia group.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:06:23 AM by Fenix »

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2014, 01:53:56 AM »
I've heard of Lestat, but never actually read it. I shall have to check it out at some point. XD

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2014, 02:10:34 AM »
I think a friend of mine mentioned that series once when I was in highschool.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 09:16:30 PM »
That's how I heard about it, but I never really got around to reading it. XD

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.