Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: One Hundred Years of Solitude [Raava, Aang]  (Read 2309 times)

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
One Hundred Years of Solitude [Raava, Aang]
« on: October 22, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
Title: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Author: Me. After a long, long break from writing anything A:TLA-related, here I am again.
Rating: I forget how this works. K+, I guess??
Words: 750
Summary: Raava has failed before, but she cannot fail now--not now, when the only thing she has left is hope, an Airbender boy, and the memory of a long-gone friend for companionship.

Note: This is just my take on Aang's time in the iceberg--only it's not exactly Aang's story, not entirely. Not anymore. This comes from my belief that since he was frozen in the Avatar State, Raava was the one keeping him alive all that time, even at the cost of her own strength, refusing to give up on him. It is based on this beautiful piece of fanart.

(click to show/hide)
“It's enough for me to be sure that you and I exist at this moment.”
― Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

For a long time, there was only darkness.

Raava knew all about that--as the spirit of light, it was her duty to understand what she was up against, and what she had been fighting, what she had always fought, was darkness. It had been different, so long ago when she was free to roam the world, but destined to do her battles alone. So long ago, but to a spirit, it could have taken place only a rabaroo's heartbeat ago. It could have, but it hadn't. It was hard to remember that sometimes.

But there was little else to do now but think, think and struggle to survive, to try and keep the boy alive. Raava could remember the horrible, raging storm that had almost plunged them into the sea, an angry ocean that would have swallowed them up--had she allowed it to. The connection she had forged with Wan, though it had taken place so long ago (though no more than a rabaroo's heartbeat) would no longer allow it. She remained bonded to this boy, as she had with all the Avatars (and what a peculiar name that was, she had never understood where it came from) before him, and she could not let him die.

She stayed curled around him from her own perspective, sustaining him with her own light--not to mention that of the sky-bison he called Appa, whom she had taken care to seal into the protective shell of the iceberg as well. He was just one sky-bison among many, but to an Avatar, the animal guide that they chose or, in some cases, chose them, was an important figure, and she did want the creature to perish either. All life was sacred, she knew. That was an element of the Airbender culture that this boy came from that she had to respect.

Raava respected it, but like all the other Avatars, this boy...he was special, he was her and she was him and they were one, but like all the others...he was not the same. Not the same as Wan. She had had many lifetimes now, and therefore, so had he, but they were all different. This young Airbender was no exception. They were all different, yet Raava thought she could detect little pieces of the first in all of his successors. Bits of his spirit, of his compassion, of his courage...yes, they were all there. To the last, they were there. He was no Wan, but she could not let him die.

What am I to do? They were trapped now, the boy was well and truly frozen, and there was little she could do without his own involvement except continue to keep him alive...but that in itself was a daunting task. The spirits possessed little concept of time, it was not much of consequence to them, but ever since her great battle with Vaatu, Raava knew that she was weaker, that without the Avatar thriving and alive, she could not last long herself. They were tied together now, Wan had seen to that. It had forged the most powerful kind of bond the world had ever seen, yet they were stuck now. I will wait. I can last a while.

But how long? How long would she have to wait before something changed? Raava had done the only thing she could do for the boy, in a wild bid to keep him safe she had sealed them away...and now it seemed there was no way out. There was no way out, and with the boy in the Avatar State, if he perished here, so would the cycle that she and Wan had started together. That she could never lose. She wouldn't let herself.

And so she kept channeling life into this boy, this Avatar Aang, whom she had been with for all of his days though he only learned of his status recently. It was not much (she had to preserve her strength), but it was enough to keep him alive. He must stay alive, if he was going to be free and continue to live on, continue to preserve all that Wan had worked for.  She was weary, weary already and weak, but she pressed on--the spirit of light could not truly die. She wouldn't let herself.

I will wait. But for how long...

---

Dimly, as if from a great distance, there came the sound of a crack. First one, and then many.

Suddenly, there was light.
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
Re: One Hundred Years of Solitude [Raava, Aang]
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 06:00:45 PM »
This was a beautiful piece!

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:08:10 PM »
Thank you! I know it was very short, but I didn't want to write something overly long as I'm just dipping my toe in the water with fanfiction again, so to speak...

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
Quality is better than quantity, and this was pure quality!

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »
Excellent piece, friend. It raised an interesting question in my mind... Did Raava make the right call in preserving Aang for so long? Would it have been better for the world to let Aang die so the Avatar would be reincarnated into the Water Tribe and could save the world sooner?

Either way, this did an excellent job explaining things and was beautifully written. Good work!

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:39:45 PM »
This was such a lovely piece and a wonderful read! ^_^

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 02:29:47 AM »
Thanks for reading and the kind words, guys! ^^

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 02:32:30 AM »
I knew you wanted to do this piece and it is wonderful. Glad to see you writing again for us!
<< Post Merge: October 23, 2013, 02:33:35 AM >>

Excellent piece, friend. It raised an interesting question in my mind... Did Raava make the right call in preserving Aang for so long? Would it have been better for the world to let Aang die so the Avatar would be reincarnated into the Water Tribe and could save the world sooner?

Either way, this did an excellent job explaining things and was beautifully written. Good work!

Rava wouldn't have wanted the last air bender to die and break the cycle
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 03:33:00 AM »

Rava wouldn't have wanted the last air bender to die and break the cycle
This. It would've essentially killed all the Air Nomads for nothing.

--

It's nice and succinct, leaving me capable of narrating it aloud without any difficulty or strain. It's solid work. I really do like it a lot.

Since you wanted me to critique it, the most critique I could offer is that there's a slight sense of detachment. It feels more like she feels obligated than that she does this out of care. Which is really more of an observation. However, if it started out with her being emotionally invested, but eventually it became more and more a matter of obligation, as her spirit wares down and her energy depletes, in a slow and agonizing continual attempt to convince herself to keep going, but it was kept subtle, that would make it rather dynamic and effective. Aang was relatively quick to jump into the Avatar State, and Raava being worn down could have an affect on that. Aang was often terrified of his actions in the Avatar State, and Raava would usually overpower him and act of her own volition. This long wait obviously had an effect on her, and I think that if there was a gradual showcase of her perception and the narrative slowly showing a gradual shift as it went on, it would be very interesting. Seeing her go from 'did her best to protect Aang' to 'worked as hard as she could manage to keep the Avatar alive' just seems really interesting to me. Because while time does go by faster for her than it would for most, her energy is still being drained, and it's still difficult to keep yourself motivated when you're being depleted like that. Like I said, I think that would make for something even more dynamic.

The simplicity of the final moments really worked. It's as if you can hear Raava growing weaker and more exhausted with the narrative. The early paragraphs are nice and fairly sized, then after the cut, they're dramatically reduced. It's brilliant. The very final moments read like small gasps of air.

And a tiny little thing, happens to me a lot: "-and she did want the creature to perish either" where "didn't" is the word meant to be used.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 03:38:58 AM »
Oh, damn. Thank you, critique is always welcome, even for something little like this! I agree with what you said about the tone now that I look back on it >>;

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 04:07:31 AM »
That was really great. There isn't really an critiquing I can do like Av.

Right before I read this I had a thought. I honestly think that preserving Aang for a hundred years was deliberate on Raava's part. She knew that Sozin's Comet was coming in those hundred years and with knowledge of Roku before she knew that an Avatar would desperately be needed during that time. So once Aang fell in the ocean and froze himself, she helped keep him frozen that long. Especially considering a lot of things could happen to the Avatar in that time, with the Fire Nation starting to dominate the world.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
Good point on the preserving the Air Nomad race. Completely ignored that part of it. xD

Offline KE

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 11
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »
That was beautiful, bomb. It was short but sweet, a very enjoyable fic. ^^

Sig by Val!

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 03:22:12 PM »
that was beautiful!

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline Sailor_Tenchi

• Firebender
  • Councilwoman Sailor_Tenchi / Moderator
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »
LjlJflsjdfljksdfj! *saves it*

I especially like the part about all the Avatars having that connection even though they're all different...it's something that fascinates me about the Avatars--even more meaningfully now that we know about Raava, and it shows here. <3

Offline LadyKatara

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 18
  • Kataang Always!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »
Your story's beautiful, I love it!

"Vivec is a poet. Trust not the words of a poet, as he is born to seduce. Yet for poetry to sieze the heart, it must ring with the chimes of truth."

Formally katara314 on KF

Offline Water Lily

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 137
  • ~Waterbender Lily~
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 07:05:18 AM »
No words to describe how truly beautiful this was. Amazing, friend! :D

~To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.~

Offline kataang_is_love

• Airbending Guru
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 09:34:15 PM »
Love it! This was very enjoyable to read and you did a great job on it. :)

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.