Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Probending question  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
Probending question
« on: August 29, 2013, 12:16:56 AM »
I might have a really stupid question, that might have been answered in the show or by Bryke in some way, but I'm going to ask it anyway. (If you don't mind)

So, I was writing up a story about a match of Probending, and it made me think about those earth disks that are within the field on the arena. I know that the earthbenders use them to, you know, bend, but can they run out?  Do they have a system underneath the arena that keeps refilling them when they run low? Or is the match go to some sort of special call if the earthbenders run out of their element? Forgive me if some aspect of the universe answered this question, I just didn't know and it was bothering me.

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
Re: Probending question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:18:57 AM »
My guess there is an unending stack.  That seems too hard to have the others stop bending.
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Cowboy Colt

• Knockout!
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:28:19 AM »
My guess there is an unending stack.  That seems too hard to have the others stop bending.
I see. Thanks! That's probably the best answer. xD  That's understandable and I sort of was getting to that when I talking about a system in place to 'refill' them. (Like a piece of machinery takes more from a supply, and  just moves them from stack to  stack as needed, as soon as possible during a match) Plus, it could just be one of those 'Don't pick at the man behind the curtain' sort of things. xD 

[

Offline Lex

• The Guru
  • Airbending Guru
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 40
  • I'm a spy, and I don't care who knows it.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »
Brian did explain in his video about Probending that earthbenders do have a finite number of discs on each side.

If I remember right, they get filled after each round. But I'm not 100% on that.

But yes, it is possible for an earthbender to run out of ammunition during a round. Teams have to strategize how to protect their players in those scenarios.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:31:35 AM by Lex »

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 12:29:51 AM »
Yeah, I agree. I think they either have an unending supply, or the earth disks are somehow recycled after they've been used and molded again to be used in another match. I don't think there's a limited supply, because if there were, then there'd also have to be some way to limit the amount of fire and water the the other players can bend and that seems rather difficult to do.
<< Post Merge: August 29, 2013, 12:30:11 AM >>

Brian did explain in his video about Probending that earthbenders do have a finite number of discs on each side.

If I remember right, they get filled after each round. But I'm not 100% on that.

Oh! Ignore my previous post then. ^^'

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Cowboy Colt

• Knockout!
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »
OH! SEE! And this is why we make threads. xD Thanks for the help, Lex, Cass, and A6!
<< Post Merge: August 29, 2013, 12:33:37 AM >>

You all shall be given yuans accordingly!

[

Offline Lex

• The Guru
  • Airbending Guru
  • Round 1!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:30 AM »
You're welcome. :)

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »
OH! SEE! And this is why we make threads. xD Thanks for the help, Lex, Cass, and A6!
<< Post Merge: August 29, 2013, 12:33:37 AM >>

You all shall be given yuans accordingly!

Thanks, but A6 and Lex did most of the work, hehe. ^^'

Offline sparkstoaflame

• The one and only master tearbender.
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 9
    • Check out the Avatar Cycle!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

But yes, it is possible for an earthbender to run out of ammunition during a round. Teams have to strategize how to protect their players in those scenarios.

In one of the episodes, I believe that Shiro Shinobi mentioned that the team the Fire Ferrets's were facing had "run of of juice". That could also quite possibly be referring to said depletion of earth disks.
If you put Korra and Asami next to each other in any given situation I will automatically assume that you like Korrasami, and then we'll be best friends.

Offline Lex

• The Guru
  • Airbending Guru
  • Round 1!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 07:11:15 PM »

In one of the episodes, I believe that Shiro Shinobi mentioned that the team the Fire Ferrets's were facing had "run of of juice". That could also quite possibly be referring to said depletion of earth disks.

I'd have to rewatch some episode, but I also recall a scene where the opposing team ran out and that gave the Fire Ferrets (I think) the edge to move to offense.

Offline sparkstoaflame

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 11:55:56 PM »

I'd have to rewatch some episode, but I also recall a scene where the opposing team ran out and that gave the Fire Ferrets (I think) the edge to move to offense.

Are you referring to the one that had the, uh, opposing team corral Mako/Bolin into the corner before turning their attention onto Korra? I think that was "The Spirit of Competition".
If you put Korra and Asami next to each other in any given situation I will automatically assume that you like Korrasami, and then we'll be best friends.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 12:52:28 AM »
I always thought they exhausted themselves by bending so much in that scene. I hadn't even considered that they might have run out of earth to bend. XD

Offline sparkstoaflame

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 01:30:08 AM »
I always thought they exhausted themselves by bending so much in that scene. I hadn't even considered that they might have run out of earth to bend. XD

You know, funny that you mention that, because they never seem that tired as one should after bending the heck out of themselves for however long the matches last.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 01:35:38 AM »

You know, funny that you mention that, because they never seem that tired as one should after bending the heck out of themselves for however long the matches last.

True!

I always just associated that comment with exhaustion because it seemed like two of the benders were directing everything they had at Mako and Bolin and the third was trying to keep Korra from coming to their aid. I just assumed that intense bending at that level couldn't be sustained for long, so I never really associated the comment with running out of things to bend. XD

Offline sparkstoaflame

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 01:38:59 AM »

True!

I always just associated that comment with exhaustion because it seemed like two of the benders were directing everything they had at Mako and Bolin and the third was trying to keep Korra from coming to their aid. I just assumed that intense bending at that level couldn't be sustained for long, so I never really associated the comment with running out of things to bend. XD

Yes, especially in the episode "The Spirit of Competition" when Korra was fending for herself against three opposing team members - how in the world did she keep on somersaulting and turning and do all that fancy stuff without dropping down from exhaustion? How does she do that in the first place? xD

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 01:46:02 AM »
I guess people in the ATLA/LoK universe are just so much more agile than the average person, heehee. XDD And Korra was training to be the avatar and mastering the elements from a young age, so that probably contributed greatly to her agility and such.

Offline sparkstoaflame

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 01:47:49 AM »
I guess people in the ATLA/LoK universe are just so much more agile than the average person, heehee. XDD And Korra was training to be the avatar and mastering the elements from a young age, so that probably contributed greatly to her agility and such.

In that case, I want to be magically transported into the Avatarverse by magical unicorns and sparkly rainbows. It will be a swell ride. xD

Well it would be expected seeing as a few people I know in real life ship Korra with her muscles. *Eye twitches* But it can't be any worse than MakoxScarf or BolinxEyebrows! :)

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 01:50:00 AM »

In that case, I want to be magically transported into the Avatarverse by magical unicorns and sparkly rainbows. It will be a swell ride. xD

Well it would be expected seeing as a few people I know in real life ship Korra with her muscles. *Eye twitches* But it can't be any worse than MakoxScarf or BolinxEyebrows! :)

Heehee! When it comes to shipping in this fandom, I think saying it can't get worse might actually be false sometimes. XDDD

And I'm with you on wanting to be transported to that universe! ;D

Offline sparkstoaflame

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 01:52:24 AM »

Heehee! When it comes to shipping in this fandom, I think saying it can't get worse might actually be false sometimes. XDDD

Well, you can't say that the A:TLA/LoK fandom isn't crazy. I love you guys for that. :D

I'm sure that everyone here is. Although I doubt that the characters themselves would be happy of thinking of the prospect of legions of fangirls/boys swarming into their perfectly normal world. ;D No, wait, Korra would bask in the attention before she got irritated and firebent us all into little bits of ash. It's an interesting way to pass into the Spirit World.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 01:54:03 AM »

Well, you can't say that the A:TLA/LoK fandom isn't crazy. I love you guys for that. :D

I'm sure that everyone here is. Although I doubt that the characters themselves would be happy of thinking of the prospect of legions of fangirls/boys swarming into their perfectly normal world. ;D No, wait, Korra would bask in the attention before she got irritated and firebent us all into little bits of ash. It's an interesting way to pass into the Spirit World.

I'm sure they'd be bewildered by all the fans and probably terrified if they knew how the fandom was, heehee!

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.