Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: 101-Welcome to Republic City  (Read 3142 times)

Offline divsalley

• Fire Sage Divs
  • Councilwoman Divs / Global Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 85
  • Haters gonna Hate. :P
    • My Tumblr
101-Welcome to Republic City
« on: November 11, 2012, 08:54:51 AM »
Description:
Avatar Korra leaves the safety of her home and travels to Republic City to begin her airbending training. Once there, she is shocked to find the bustling metropolis rife with corruption, criminal bending gangs, and a vocal anti-bending movement.

Discuss the Episode that kicked off this AWESOME new series and introduced us to Avatar Korra!

My Keeps (click to show/hide)
LoK Keeps (click to show/hide)Korra and Naga's Friendship
Korra's Sass
Mako's Seriousness
Mako's Scarf
The Finale Makorra Hug and Twirl

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)Zuko's Destiny
Zuko's Finale Speech
Zuko's Honor
Zuko's Inner Fire
Zuko's Speech to Ozai in DoBS

Offline Hukeyohi

• Lightningbender
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 30
  • Destroyer of Worlds
Re: 101-Welcome to Republic City
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »
I really liked this episode and how it introduced Korra as being a bending badass. X3

I actually watched this episode before it was supposed to be release >->

The signature police made me delete one. Q_Q

Offline divsalley

• Fire Sage Divs
  • Councilwoman Divs / Global Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 85
  • Haters gonna Hate. :P
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 12:12:03 AM »
Fellow Firebender!!!! YAY! And YES! I loved how they introduced Korra! <3 and I watched it earlier, too. XD

My Keeps (click to show/hide)
LoK Keeps (click to show/hide)Korra and Naga's Friendship
Korra's Sass
Mako's Seriousness
Mako's Scarf
The Finale Makorra Hug and Twirl

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)Zuko's Destiny
Zuko's Finale Speech
Zuko's Honor
Zuko's Inner Fire
Zuko's Speech to Ozai in DoBS

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 01:46:36 AM »
I've seen this episode probably about 30 times. Not even an exaggeration, seriously. But I still love watching the episode!

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 03:21:17 PM »
No matter how many times I watch this episode I will always, ALWAYS, get epic feels because of the intro.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline MasterFirebender84

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 41
  • It's time for this world to end in fire!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »
No matter how many times I watch this episode I will always, ALWAYS, get epic feels because of the intro.

You and me both, buddy.

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

- General Iroh, the Dragon of the West -

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 03:38:25 PM »
Yes, the opening of this episode. FEELS.

Also, is it wrong to get Katara-feels, just by her, well, being there?

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
I got massive feels when I first saw Katara in LoK. Because I love Katara and the fact that she was alive made me ridiculously happy. Then I remembered Aang was dead and she was alone. And I got really upset... again.

That gif accurately portrays my reaction.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:50:36 PM by Schmitty »
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline MasterFirebender84

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 41
  • It's time for this world to end in fire!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »
What I think is really cool is the fact that Katara was not only Korra's Waterbending teacher, but most likely a very close friend to Korra. Given that Korra started her training at a young age, Katara would want to help bring up the new Avatar and become close to her in the process.

I can imagine Katara telling Korra all kinds of stories from her days with the Gaang, stories that Korra would never get tired of hearing. Korra would almost be like a second daughter to Katara. That's how I imagine it at least.

Fire is the element of power. The people of the Fire Nation have desire and will, and the energy and drive to achieve what they want.

- General Iroh, the Dragon of the West -

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »
I got massive feels when I first saw Katara in LoK. Because I love Katara and the fact that she was alive made me ridiculously happy. Then I remembered Aang was dead and she was alone. And I got really upset... again.

That gif accurately portrays my reaction.

Me too! But after learning Katara was Korra's waterbending master and watching the episode, I didn't mind too[/s] much. XDD

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 04:19:51 PM »
I think finding out Katara trained Korra made the feels hurt even more. I mean think about it, Katara would have spent a lot of time with Korra. Korra, at least at the beginning, would have just been a constant reminder to Katara that Aang is dead.
Spread the Katara angle!

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:20:26 PM »
Well, from this episode (and the finale) I got the impression that Katara and Korra were somewhat close. Katara seemed to be the only member of the White Lotus that was genuinely proud and cared for Korra beyond her being the Avatar. Also, Katara's opinion and approval seemed to actually matter to Korra. 

EDIT

So true, Schmitty. Despite Korra being her own person, she must be a constant reminder of Aang to Katara. Also, the fact that the Kataang friendship truly got to 'transcend lifetimes' makes me both happy and sad - it's really beautiful.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:25:37 PM by ShineyFishes »

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
I think finding out Katara trained Korra made the feels hurt even more. I mean think about it, Katara would have spent a lot of time with Korra. Korra, at least at the beginning, would have just been a constant reminder to Katara that Aang is dead.

True, but I think Katara would have seen as an oppurtunity to connect with Aang in a different way, even if she never saw Aang through Korra. And in a way, I guess it was like connecting with him by teaching Korra waterbending and all. XD Also, this is Katara we're talking about; I don't think she's changed so much from the spirited, hopeful person she was in ATLA. She was probably optimistic about the whole thing most of the time.

Offline EpilepticPanda

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • SIT DOWN PEASANT.
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 10:54:36 PM »
It was really cool to see all the AtlA universe progress through the years, with the directors keeping true to everything. Although I'm not sure 70 years is all it takes to make such modern buildings, cars and stadiums though :/

Online Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:07 PM »
Okay, Doug Walker has begun his LoK vlog. Welcome to the fandom, man. First of all, nice cockblock with the whole Zuko's mother thing, guys. Right off the bat I liked that this was very different from ATLA with the characters, the setting, and the plot. How it was more obscure. I love Korra, Lin, and Tenzin (and his family).
Set by Waterlady

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 02:05:01 PM »
I loved that the world was so different, yet so familiar! ^^

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 04:33:56 PM »
It was really cool to see all the AtlA universe progress through the years, with the directors keeping true to everything. Although I'm not sure 70 years is all it takes to make such modern buildings, cars and stadiums though :/
I still don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people to grasp. Look at the world around us and how much it manages to progress with 70 years, and you'll begin to realize that this isn't very far out of left field. In the original show, the Fire Nation already had airships and tanks, the mechanist had already developed steam power; add bending to the mix and this is really a natural progression. Without all the money and technology being spent and made exclusively for war, they have a great chance to to utilize their resources and skills in more consumer-based areas.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
I still don't understand why this is such a difficult concept for people to grasp. Look at the world around us and how much it manages to progress with 70 years, and you'll begin to realize that this isn't very far out of left field. In the original show, the Fire Nation already had airships and tanks, the mechanist had already developed steam power; add bending to the mix and this is really a natural progression. Without all the money and technology being spent and made exclusively for war, they have a great chance to to utilize their resources and skills in more consumer-based areas.

What's even more ridiculous is that it's exactly what happened in the real world. In just a short amount of time we went from horse drawn wagons to actual automobiles. Seriously, cars were starting to come about in the 1890's. We've progressed so far since then and it's only been a little more than 100 years.

Plus as you pointed out, the Avatar world already had some impressive technology, they were much farther along then we ever were. Heck if you compare their time to what we were doing around the same time, there is an absolutely huge contrast.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
I don't think we had a fraction of the technology they had when our world was like that, so it's plausible that the ATLA/LoK universe can change so much in 70 years (in my opinion) but, I can see why people may not think those changes are plausible in a 70 year time period. It seems like a really short time, but it's also a really long time. XD

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 08:30:08 PM »
We didn't. If I were to compare the avatar world in Aang's time to some of the old eras in Asia the only really big technology we had were catapults, gun powder, fireworks, and better made hand weapons like swords and axes. That's about it.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.