Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Boleska Discussion  (Read 9044 times)

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
Re: SPOILERS: Boleska Discussion
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 09:42:37 PM »
I have that headcanon now as well. xD

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 10:02:30 PM »
My headcanon for the twins because of that comic is that they do hilarious expressions when no one is looking.

That would be something!

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline kataang_is_love

• Airbending Guru
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 21
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2013, 03:07:47 AM »
Current LOK OTP

What is it about this ship that I just love so much? I honestly can't put my finger on it, but I've always been attracted to it. I'm excited to see how their relationship plays out as the season goes on.

Offline WaterLady

• dealwithit.gif
  • Councilwoman WaterLady / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 113
  • SEND HELP
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2013, 03:16:32 AM »
a quick note about these threads:

they are going to stay in this board so you guys can discuss shipping moments after the episodes air without spoiling the rest of the board

after the 24 wait-time you guys can take your discussions into the shipping threads on the main boards :3

the doctor is out...

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2013, 03:40:00 AM »
Current LOK OTP

What is it about this ship that I just love so much? I honestly can't put my finger on it, but I've always been attracted to it. I'm excited to see how their relationship plays out as the season goes on.

Maybe it's the potential since they're both so different and Eska seems like such an intriguing character? -shrugs-

But I agree, it's always captured my fancy since Eska was first introduced back last year before we knew a thing about the season.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 03:50:00 AM »
I really like Eska and Desna. They are perfect.

So, I definitely don't mind Boleska, they seem cute, hehe. x3

~Set by me~

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 04:02:46 AM »
Indeed, next to Varrick, they're my two new favorite characters.

I think Bolin and Eska have an interesting dynamic in my opinion.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 04:20:54 AM »
I think so too! ^^

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
Re: Boleska Discussion
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:03 AM »
Like a lot of folks, all I need is a little bit showing it won't all be just gags about Eska being a social klutz and bossing Bolin around. I'm this close to signing onto this ship as my first and perhaps only Korra OTP.

Come on Bryke. Do what I think you could do with this thing.

Because I already have scenes in my head that I could make into fics, and I'd hate for them to go to waste.

I swear, BB/Raven all over again.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 06:10:17 AM »
I agree, that's really what I want and it could be something quite profound if they went that way in their relationship. Please Bryke, don't go romance shounen on us.

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2013, 06:16:07 AM »
The easy thing to do, evne if it is bordering on cliche, is just have Bolin be the one "in charge" while he's taking her out and showing her how to have fun for the first time.

The only way to really screw this up is to keep it exactly where it is now, where their interaction is nothing but chain jerking. It's funny now, but it'll get old.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2013, 06:24:15 AM »
Well I don't see a problem with her being a little bit dominant, she probably always will be. But maybe she'll be less extreme in that area than she is now. Although I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Bolin take charge once in awhile, especially when it comes to having fun.

Yeah, that's what I mean about a typical shounen romance series. In many shounen series, there isn't much romance progress at all. They just keep up the some of the more problematic stuff for the sake of comedy. I don't want to see that with Boleska, it's fun for awhile, but it's pointless without any progress.

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
I'm not going to pass judgement on this ship yet, because it seems too early. Although as it stands it's not that.... beneficial to me.

But at least Eska gave us "I will protect you my feeble turtleduck". That line is priceless.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline Cassidy Alice

• Task Force
  • Winner!
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2013, 01:31:36 PM »
I think all of Eska's lines are, heehee!

Offline Natti

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 75
    • Natti's deviantART Gallery
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
Hmm...can't say I've boarded this ship quite yet--too early, I'd rather wait to see how it develops--but I do think that it's got some potential to be a good ship.

What really interests me in this possibility, humor aside, is what these characters could potentially bring to each other. Eska, as far as we've seen, is very "tight", controlled, robotic, etc., and she and her twin tend to talk more like a textbook than just your average everyday person. Bolin, on the other hand, is an utter goofball, wearing his heart on his sleeve and willing to go to extremes of a sort when he feels it necessary. I think that, even if they don't end up romantically involved in the long run, Bolin could "teach" Eska how to loosen up a bit and interact more freely (and those behaviors may filter to Desna through Eska), while Eska could "teach" Bolin how to turn it down a few notches when necessary and take some things a little more seriously.

At any rate, it'd be great to get some more info on the twins and their upbringing/past (which I'm fairly confident will happen later on in the season).

Just my thoughts.

Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart. <3

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2013, 02:18:45 AM »
That's pretty much how I see it, other than the fact that I absolutely want it to be romantic in the end.

But seriously, it's like you're reading my mind lately. XDD

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »
The only way to really screw this up is to keep it exactly where it is now, where their interaction is nothing but chain jerking. It's funny now, but it'll get old.

Apparently, it already has. As of episode 3…we may as well just go ahead and call out the elephant-rhino in the room.

As of right now, as much as I didn't anticipate (nor do I like) coming to this opinion, Boleska as currently established is an abusive relationship.

Before anybody bites my head off for saying that, let me preface this by saying that yes, I do get that Eska and Desna have been sheltered, pampered, and God knows what else all their lives thanks to their upbringing under Unalaq. I do see how robotic, entitled and downright snobbish the twins are (especially Eska) as a result. Which means yes, there are inherent character flaws behind the way Eska treats Bolin right now that can be worked on in future episodes, one way or the other. For that reason, and because I respect other people's opinions, I'm not gonna sit here and tell anybody to close the book entirely altogether on this ship.

However, I personally feel like I have to jump off the bandwagon for the time being. Why?

I think I'll let a Tumblr user and self-described femimist tell the tale:

Quote from: angerfish.tumblr.com
Boleska is an abusive relationship.

That really isn’t even an opinion anymore. People were harped on for thinking Boleska was unhealthy in Rebel Spirit, but (removed)! They called it!

Eska belittles Bolin, insults his intelligence, physically pulls him away from hugging an old female friend by locking his head around ice, is only dating him to feel superior, treats him like a human mule, physically threatens him when he tries to break up with her and fully intends to move Bolin far away from his friends, family and life so that he can continue to be her boy toy in “icy bliss.”

And yet people actually say that this is Bolin’s fault and that he got what he deserves for shamelessly flirting with women. Excuse me, but last I checked flirting was not an invitation for… THIS^^^. What makes matters worse is these sort of statements are actually made about domestic violence victims in real life: Oh she hasn’t left him so she must want it; That’s what happens when you go for a bad boy; She’s such an idiot for sticking with him; It’s her fault because she won’t help herself; ect.

Be honest with me Tumblr.

If Bolin looked like this:

Everyone would be flipping their lid over Boleska right now.

Everyone.

No one would be saying she deserves to be Desna’s plaything for not catching on sooner because that would be victim blaming. Everyone would have been upset that her own friends aren’t concerned for her emotional well-being, or didn’t warn her that Desna was bad news. Everyone would be sickened at Desna for abusing his privilege as a prince to manipulate Lady Bolin (Bolan?). Everyone would have been calling Desna a big bag of dicks the moment he grabbed her by her fur collar. Everyone would have seen being force into servitude by her own boyfriend would have been too extreme a retribution for a flawed, but relatively well-meaning female character. And everyone one would be pointing their pitchforks at the writers for depicting domestic abuse in such a lighthearted manner.

But it’s okay when Eska abuses Bolin because why?

Because girl power!

Full post can be read here.

Long story short, if Bryke wanted to make sure that the "Eska bosses Bolin around for kicks and giggles" pattern got to the point where something has to change, they've certainly accomplished that here. She's attacked him with waterbending for hugging another girl — nevermind that said other girl was Eska's own cousin, as well as Bolin's old teammate who he helped get acclimated to Republic City and then save said city from Yakone's warring sons, who also happens to be the Avatar and who just came back from doing something beautiful and awesome involving spirits. She's got him basically being hers and Desna's government mule, she's telling him he'll be coming with her to the North and staying there forever. And if you pull the previous two episodes into context, suddenly, in hindsight, "you, win me prizes" becomes the first indicator of a cycle that should definitely at least raise some alert signs.

And as a result, right now Bolin is SCARED of Eska. He's wondering what in the spirits' name he got himself into. He can barely even pretend to be enjoying himself with her, and by "pretend" I mean "fumble to use the right words lest she decide to pelt him with waterbending again." It's not even done in any sort of convincing tone. He literally goes and begs Mako for help first chance gets, is given advice to break up with her and get it over with, then next time we see him is part of a "table for five" date with Desna, Mako, and Korra included where he exhibits the exact same behaviors because he tried to break up with her, repeatedly, but was threatened with grievous bodily harm every time. Mako barely sympathizes with Bolin's plight, whereas Korra outright tells him he should've known she was creepypastasauce despite both of them knowing full well he's not exactly the best people-reader of all time.

Within this one episode, the whole gag just completely fell apart and destroyed itself. As angerfish says in so many words, if Boleska were gender-flipped in canon, we'd probably have such a massive collective outrage going on you could forget about ever getting episode 4 if you still even wanted it. But as that's not the case (in fact this is probably better served as its own discussion for another day), and since said episode 4 will likely be dealing intensely with the North-South Civil War, where this goes next is actually not only a very good question, but one we can expect to start getting some kind of an answer to this Friday.

That will determine whether I jump back on. And personally, I'm kinda optimistic. I can't imagine that Bryke would just do this and not have the force and will of forethought to actually go somewhere with it, especially since, as I've acknowledged in the beginning, the seeds are still there for character development. But for me, and for right now, knowing what Boleska in canon is currently made of (one character being downright possessive [not even borderline] and the other going DO NOT WANT), and knowing that the Legend of Korra narrative has thus far been more or less consistently unkind to Bolin, I'm jumping off out of caution until further notice.

I don't want to blindly tether my loyalty to the ship and cling to some headcanons about it until the day should come when Eska tries to suck Bolin's soul out of his body and own it for herself using some secret wicked spirit technique. I want Boleska, if it's truly meant to be a thing, to earn my support back over time.

Now, how will the narrative answer?

Only time and spirits can tell.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 04:58:32 PM by Glitch »
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SD’s Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
Sorry if I hurt you 4Z. But I have to throw handfuls of Yuans at you right now.
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 05:58:21 PM »
Bolin was actually crying while asking Mako to help him out of this relationship.

This is part of why I've had a big problem with the show's narrative since the beginning:

"BOLIN BEING REDUCED TO TEARS IS CONSISTANTLY TREATED LIKE A JOKE AND NOT AN INDICATOR OF VALID EMOTIONAL DISTRESS"

To me, that's rather horrifying.

Bolin is absolutely 100% scared of Eska. And no one seems concerned for him much at all. What I see here is a blatant disregard of, if not complete blindness to, the fact that men can be abused by women. Instead, every other character here treats it like it's no big deal, like it's Bolin's fault; like it's just sorta funny because he's the man in the relationship and he cannot be abused since, as a man, he inherently has the upper hand. This wouldn't be nearly so much of an issue if it didn't feel like the narrative thought that way as well, which it very apparently does. It treats this whole thing as a catalyst for good laughs. It was rather uncomfortable to watch, to be honest. Bolin felt so stressed and anxious that when asking his brother how he could get out of this abusive relationship, he was reduced to tears. And... nobody sees a problem with this?

If Mike and Bryan hadn't have dropped the ball by making him cry for laughs in the first season, this would've been treated remakably different by the fans. But instead it's just seen as 'Bolin yet again being melodramatic for giggles'.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:09:13 PM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2013, 02:53:33 AM »
Welp, as Fortune so astutely pointed out, I said this:

And it turns out, that's exactly what they chose to do. So, I'm pulling the ejection handle on the ship like the two gents above me. I have nothing more to add to the sentiments of Fortune and Av, other than I concur, what a shame, and holy smokes this could indeed seed much larger discussions about much larger issues. And maybe it will, maybe this whole thing will be constructive by accident...but I know better than to be optimistic there.

And with the ship, they've burned up all that potential they had in a great character. Just a terrible pity.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.