Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Boleska Discussion  (Read 9038 times)

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
Boleska Discussion
« on: July 21, 2013, 02:36:08 PM »
Whoops, my hand slipped... ^_^

Seriously though, since there isn't already a topic for it and since I accidentally started shipping this without meaning to, might as well have a ship thread for Bolin/Eska. I'm pretty sure that of all the legitimately viable ships in the series (by which I mean ships that are canon or could be canon in the foreseeable future), Boleska is actually best placed to be part of a really dynamic, engaging, narratively-fulfilling subplot.

And so I think I'm just going to sit here and enjoy the fact that I'm at least 60% sure it's somehow already canon and ship this until I'm proven wrong.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 05:23:45 AM by Seluna »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: Boleska Discussion *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 09:54:06 PM »
I love you so much right now in a platonic way, Melon. XDD

I've been shipping this before it was even confirmed to possibly become canon. Before we even got her real name, when she was known as the fan name, Kirima. Mostly thanks to this pic. http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8a5weegMY1r67q74o1_500.jpg

I'm really interested in seeing where this ship could possibly take us. Yeah I know Eska is gonna be a bit creepy, but that doesn't mean she won't end up being really cool too. If they did it with Mai, they can do it with Eska. Not saying they're alike of course. Boleska has the potential to be funny, dynamic, unique, and even adorable. It's as a couple people mentioned, Boleska is basically the Andy Dwyer/April Ludgate (Parks and Recreation) of LOK. Which is interesting since Aubrey Plaza plays both Eska and April.

Plus thanks to episode 1...

(click to show/hide)Eska already seems interested in Bolin thanks to his odd flirting, and he's at least attracted to her at a physical level so far. Honestly the "You amuse me. I will make you mine." quote just sells it! How can I not love the ship after that?

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
That was what sold it for me. I'm not a fan of pre-judging ships (that's how this whole Zutara vs. Kataang & Maiko thing started, after all) so I mostly just rolled my eyes at Boleska shippers up until this point.  But now I've seen the first episode and I think I ship Boleska harder than any other LoK-exclusive ship.  I'm not sure how it happened LOL yes I am it's precisely because of that line but I love it and now I have a problem because I now ship Bolin with all the ladies and I'm not ordinarily a serious multishipper so it's very confusing and if I have to pick one it's probably going to be Boleska, both because it might be canon (I think it already is???) and because it's the one, like I said, that creates the most beautiful and intriguing narrative.

I have so much I want to say about Boleska RIGHT NOW but I don't have time because I have to go to dinner. However, I will rant about how amazingly beautiful it has the potential to be as soon as I get home in a few hours!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:46:40 PM by The Melon Lord Approves »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:50:18 PM »
That line just made me ship 'em harder. And yeah I'm usually not one to ship before we see actual evidence, but the potential of Boleska just caught me. I was in love with it the minute I saw that fanart.

I don't think I've shipped an Avatar ship this hard in a very long time. It's definitely the only ship I'm really serious about in LOK.

I honestly can't wait to see that, Melon!

Also, it cracks me up that no one can decide on what the ship name should be. Looks like Boleska is winning with Eskabo in second.

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:40:35 PM »
Man, I don't know if I was expecting it.

I mean, people started talking about if after that one screen shot was released a while back, but I don't like pre-judging this kind of stuff.

Then the first episode happened. And now it's an actual thing and it amuses me. And it's obviously not only one-sided, however it goes, we'll have Bolin with a love interest that is based on mutual attraction.

I'm in for the ride, whatever kind of ride it will be.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
I was maybe 60% into believing the ship could happen. I thought it had a high probability, but who knows what could transpire. On my part it was really just a guess and a hope since she was the only new female around Bolin's age that was announced. I'm actually still surprised I was right.

I don't know where the ship could take us, but I think I'm going to like it. I agree that there's definitely some mutual attraction. Well there's something there. XD

Bolin doesn't seem to mind the fact that she's a little odd, he had to have noticed. I mean you'd have to be attracted if you're going approach and flirt with a twin girl who's brother looks almost exactly like her, even going as far to wear basically the same clothes. How could that not look creepy? XD

As for Eska, I'm not really sure what's going on in her head. These twins don't seem like the kind of people that interact with others much. They probably keep to themselves and exclude others. So what is about Bolin that interests you, Eska? What makes you say "You amuse me. I will make you mine." Urgh I wanna know more about this girl so much.

Slight Rebel Spirit spoilers (click to show/hide)I feel like analyzing that part at the festival a little bit. So Bolin walks over to the twins, he seems to know which is which this time and even remember Eska's name. He tries to chat her up and compliment but she is having none of it. She shoots him a glare that seems to say "How dare you talk to me". So he tries a different approach with a really terrible pick-up line. I'm guessing she doesn't get it but Desna sorta does. I believe Desna says something about how Bolin seems to want to 'bond' with her. Then she follows with something like "Perhaps it would be interesting to spend time with some one so lost and uncultured?". Then she says her famous line, Bolin reacts, says something, then she says something and drags him off.

I love how Eska glares at him and then like a minute later she wants him. XDD I'm guessing she didn't get that Bolin was flirting with her, even if it wasn't exactly subtle at all. XD She probably doesn't get much guys hitting on her and doesn't really understand romance. So I get why she missed what Bolin was trying to do. It took Desna to say something to get her to catch on.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:44:46 PM by Fenix »

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:16:08 AM »

Maybe

I'm just too in love with borra atm...maybe when i see boleska in action i'll feel better about it.
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 01:21:05 AM »
Well at least you're giving it a chance. Some people are just hating it on principle with only one freaking episode.

Plus a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air gif is always appreciated.

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:40:33 AM »
Well at least you're giving it a chance. Some people are just hating it on principle with only one freaking episode.

Plus a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air gif is always appreciated.
Indeed it is.

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 03:19:05 AM »
This is definitely looking like it's gonna be that cute and funny companion ship that has no idea how or why they're a couple at first but are willing to go with it. Gonna be? Who am I kidding? I think it already is at this point. But at the same time there's plenty of room for major character intrigue for both parties involved as well as…pretty much everyone they're close to, really. Melon will most likely be able to explain it better than I can at the moment, so I'll leave it up to her: I've seen her Tumblr rant on the subject, and believe me. It is good stuff.

Oh, and my frickin' Greed muse ships this already. For Koh's sake.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SD’s Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:03:13 AM »
No I think you explained yourself well, especially since I might know what you're talking about. Makes me even more excited thinking what this ship could bring to the table. If Bolin and Eska really do fall in love it's highly probable that we'll get some conflict mostly stemming from Eska's side if her father is what we think he might be. It could be a really interesting conflict. Seriously this ship could have it all. We got the comedy, I can see the cute coming in a little later, then the inevitable drama would be next. However I think it'll be good drama, not LOK book 1 drama.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 06:54:27 PM »
I think my favorite part about Boleska, as I've already said, is how much incredible potential it has to create such an engaging and fulfilling narrative. Maybe it's just that I've just recently finished watching OHSHC and can't help but be influenced ever so slightly by the Hitachiin twins, but I get the sense that Desna and Eska are really sort of in their own little world, especially as their only known family is sorted into two categories: relatives who don't like them very much and their father, who seems a bit too absorbed in other things to pay much attention to his children (although it's obviously much too early to judge for sure).

If I had my way, I would love to see Boleska develop from what it is now- mainly an (amusingly unlikely) mutual attraction coupled with a nice side dish of adorable WTF- into a real, genuine attachment to each other. I want to see these two become close... and then I want to see what effect this has on Eska's relationship with her brother. I want to see discord there as the two of them struggle to resolve the fact that what used to be Desna-and-Eska versus the world has now become Desna and Eska and her gentleman friend. I want to see a complex, character-driven subplot that gives us greater depth and understanding of who the twins are, separately and together, as they struggle internally and with each other and with Bolin to try to come to terms with the fact that it's not just the two of them in their own little bubble any longer.  I want to see Eska weighing the cost and benefit of her relationship with Bolin. I want to see her genuinely considering ending their acquaintance because she isn't sure that the risks involved in a romantic entanglement and the toll it's taking on her relationship with her brother are worth an uncertain possible positive result.  I want to see Bolin learning how to take charge on his own in order to earn the respect he wants from her, and I want to see him step out from his own brothers shadow as he observes the dynamic between his girlfriend and her twin and contrasts that with his relationship with Mako and learns from it.

It has the potential to be a beautiful and complex sub-plot with the ability to reveal multiple layers to both Eska and Bolin, and I'm just really excited about that because no matter how it's handled, I'm pretty sure it's going to be handled well and my inner narrative theory geek is just having a little meltdown over how cool this could be.  It's a relationship that could have a very distinct flavor when contrasted with the other ships in the Avaverse. This isn't Angsty Kids Hating The World But Loving Each Other like Maiko, and it's not Ridiculously Affectionate Destined Lovers like Kataang, and it's not Cute Teen Romance like Sukka, and it's not... whatever the hell Book 1 was.

To be completely honest, after one episode I'm more emotionally invested in Boleska, whatever the outcome, than I am in any other LoK ship. Even Korrasami, and anybody who knows me knows how invested I am in Korrasami.  But I also know that because of the ridiculous tolerance of and sensitivity to homophobia in this country, Korrasami will never be canon and that is terrible, but I have accepted it.  Boleska, however, is a real thing that is happening and appears to already be canon, which gives me an awful lot more material to work with. One way or another, I've laid my chips. Now it's time to see what hand I've been dealt.  I'm not sure what kind of poker game involves betting before you see your cards, but that's the kind of game this is, it would appear.

And since it's already been made clear that Eska doesn't have anywhere near the poker face that Mai had, it should be quite the interesting hand.

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 07:57:54 PM »
^I felt the same way ever since we saw pics of Eska and Desna! They just gave off that same kind of vibe that Kaoru and Hikaru did with them being really close and being out of touch with everyone else. Like it would have to take a very special person to get them to break out of their shells and open up to others.

I hope Eska's relationship with Bolin doesn't cause too much drama with Desna.

~Set by me~

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 12:30:00 AM »
^I felt the same way ever since we saw pics of Eska and Desna! They just gave off that same kind of vibe that Kaoru and Hikaru did with them being really close and being out of touch with everyone else. Like it would have to take a very special person to get them to break out of their shells and open up to others.

Precisely.

I hope Eska's relationship with Bolin doesn't cause too much drama with Desna.

I actually hope exactly the opposite. Not in the way that I think you mean the word drama (as in the sophomoric, infantile sort of drama that was the entire romantic subplot of Book 1), but in terms of it being a genuine, well thought-out conflict between the siblings that's drama in the truest sense. Narrative is by definition reliant on conflict, and conflict is the seat of drama (or, depending on how you look at it, drama is the seat of conflict...).  I want to see this bring the twins into conflict, not because doing so would serve the story, but because their characters, their innermost selves, are exposed through this. I want the writers to stay true to the characters they've created and as a result the characters drive the narrative (rather than the other way around, which was what happened in Book 1 and why the conflict felt cheap and lackluster).  I want to see conflict between the siblings that reveals to us just exactly who they are, both as a unit and as individuals, and I want it to reveal just what Eska really thinks of Bolin, and I want it to reveal further aspects of who Bolin is at the heart of it all and whether he's going to let Eska go because he thinks it will make her happy (as he did, and was right to do, with Korra) or whether he's going to make a stand and actually fight for the girl he cares about when she presents him with a choice.

And of course all of this is complicated by whatever Big Dramatic A-Plot is going on overarching it all and leading the whole narrative forward. Since we still don't know where the twins fall in relation to A) their father, and B) the whole spirit world whatchamacallit, I have my suspicions that this could be a very interesting intersection of motivations and emotions.  And since that's what makes up genuinely good storytelling... well, I just really want all of that.

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 01:48:35 AM »
I can definitely see the potential in Boleska and how it would give a certain growth to their characters (and ive only seen the gif and the muffled low quality scene of it on the web). Bolin, in a sense, could show her the world...the fun in it; while Eska could show him the serious side. they seem to be polar opposites in terms of personality..and sometimes thats what the other person needs.
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
Re: SPOILERS: Boleska Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 08:35:15 AM »
It's probably pretty established that this will at the very least be a romantic sub-plot for a majority of Spirits. We know it happens in episode one, but as Bryke has said, Bolin will have an "unusual romantic arc" this book, I think it's fair to assume it will last longer than what we've seen, that Bolin is not just running away in the next episode. So it will be there at least for this book.

But what then? To me, it's interesting whether this is something that will last. Because so far, I'm sucked in because it seems to be a hilarious, and also in slightly intriguing, relationship (purely judging on what we've seen, not potential). But what if it gets serious? What if it's going to last? How will that affect Bolin in future books?

I kinda thought Bolin was up to have a more solitary arc, an arc of stepping out of Mako's shadow and become a stronger individual, but perhaps that's not the case. Or perhaps, that is the case, and this is actually going to be both Bolin and Eska separating themselves a bit from their siblings, becoming stronger individuals on their own, but together.

Because I don't necessarily think that a close twin relationship is a bad thing, nor that Desna and Eska needs to be separated, but perhaps it's a good thing if they are shaken a little up to strengthen their individual differences. (They seem to play a lot on their similarities).

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
Or perhaps, that is the case, and this is actually going to be both Bolin and Eska separating themselves a bit from their siblings, becoming stronger individuals on their own, but together.

Because I don't necessarily think that a close twin relationship is a bad thing, nor that Desna and Eska needs to be separated, but perhaps it's a good thing if they are shaken a little up to strengthen their individual differences. (They seem to play a lot on their similarities).

THIS. 500% this.  There's absolutely nothing bad about a close relationship between siblings (see: Hakoda's kids), but considering there does seem to be a tiny bit of codependency going on between the twins it might not be a bad thing at all to see them learn to stand on their own as well as they do together. Same goes for Bolin, for obvious reasons.  Bolin and Eska accidentally falling for each other has the potential to facilitate just exactly that.

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
Hm, the more I think about this, the more I suspect that's what Boeska will be about. In addition to their own romance, their relationship could also play into the larger theme of family and sibling dynamics, we already have between the cloudbabies and Korra's father and uncle.

By getting together, and if they get relatively serious, they are poled away from their siblings towards each other. A new affliction that will make it easier to re-individualize, learning to stand on your own. I don't think this classic "glued"-like twin-dynamic is unhealthy - but it's a bad thing if you have no sense of self-worth or identity outside of another person. It could possibly even strengthen Desna and Eska to let a third-party in, even if it's inevitably conflict.

I can't say I exactly ship this hardcore yet, I'm waiting to see more of the dynamic. But definitely intrigued, waiting to be won over. Also, Bolin's pick-up lines are win. "You're from the North? That's my favorite direction".
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 05:34:49 PM by ShineyDragons »

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 06:27:29 PM »
Indeed. It has the potential to be a transformative experience for everyone involved. Does anybody else want to see a reversal in which Mako is the overprotective older brother worrying about Bolin getting hurt and Desna's just like "eh, she can handle herself?"

Additionally, I won't lie, I love the fact that Eska didn't even seem to realize she was being flirted with until Desna pointed it out (and that immediately once she figured out what was going on, she warmed up to Bolin... if you can call what she did warming up ^_^).

Really, though, I can't believe how intensely fascinated with this ship I already am. I'm really really paranoid that this ship is going to break my heart, though. I'm not sure why (it's possible that it may just be leftover sadfeelz fom what happened the last time the funny guy in the group was infatuated with the princess of the NWT), but I just have this instinctive gut reaction that's telling me that this one's gonna hurt. And yet here I am, cheerfully sailing this ship towards the waterfall.

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 08:15:38 PM »
Really, though, I can't believe how intensely fascinated with this ship I already am. I'm really really paranoid that this ship is going to break my heart, though. I'm not sure why (it's possible that it may just be leftover sadfeelz fom what happened the last time the funny guy in the group was infatuated with the princess of the NWT), but I just have this instinctive gut reaction that's telling me that this one's gonna hurt. And yet here I am, cheerfully sailing this ship towards the waterfall.

I can't promise this won't be heartbreaking, but I'm positive it won't be heartbreaking (for Bolin) the way Borra was. It's not going to be "fall for this girl and have her turn me down". Now, it's interesting to speculate what other ways this could be heartbreaking, (like Eska dying, *le gasp*).

I'm also sitting here waiting for the inevitable Boasami/Boeska ship war to happen. Personally, while I'm not hardcore shipping any of those yet, I'll put my money on Boeska, because:

1) It seems very likely to be at least temporarily canon - it will happen in some way of some sort for some time. Boasami seems to me, from what I've seen, more like a big sis/little bro kind of affection. I could be wrong, though.

2) I really don't want Boasami to happen. Not really because I'd necessarily hate them together if it did, but they are the only opposite-sex relationship in the Krew that hasn't had any romantic implications in canon. I don't won't that to change - even if Bolin and Korra, and Mako and Asami has sorted out all past issues (or will at some point), I'd really prefer that one relationship is left untarnished.

EDIT
Bryke talks a little about Boeska in this interview http://comicsalliance.com/legend-of-korra-cast-creators-book-season-2-interview-sdcc-2013/:

CA: We have to talk about Season 2 a little bit. We just saw the designs for the new characters, Korra’s cousins. They look fun.

JV: They’re the opposite of fun, and that’s what’s so fun about them.

CA: Are they brought in to be a contrast to Mako and Bolin? Everybody loves Korra, but they seem more remote.

MDM: They’re very hard to get to know on a deep, spiritual level.

JV: Do they even know… themselves?

MDM: We also wanted to have some fun stuff for Bolin, like a romantic interest, and it just turned into a really weird, weird relationship.

PJB: I’m just mixing it up. I’m out there. Korra let him go.

MDM: He’s trying to find who he is, and part of that is “who am I going to date?” Not her.

JV: Which one’s the girl?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:36:06 PM by ShineyDragons »

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.