Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Glorious post by Bryan on LOK skin color  (Read 7538 times)

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Glorious post by Bryan on LOK skin color
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/54495619739/this-past-friday-i-published-this-post-which

It's a little long, but it's a brilliant post discussing about Kataang spawn's skin color. Mainly for the people that had a problem with it considering Tenzin's skin color.

From what I've observed of people through my life, I'd say they are right on.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
Re: Glorious post by Bryan on LOK skin color
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
I read this! It's really informative and interesting!

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
Very informative indeed.

I like how on the color swatch picture, the portraits of each character seem to have consummate facial expressions for each character XD.

Also, these quotes:

Quote (selected)
But now that you have the official local color swatches of these characters’ “normal" skin tones in the image above, I can assure you that using it like some Behr color chip ammunition to lambast every fanart depiction of Korra that doesn’t match #a08365 is a flawed pursuit.

Quote (selected)
But I urge you to consider any number of the factors listed and described above before you jump to false conclusions, get your feelings hurt, or lash out with self-righteous condemnation based on a variable rather than a constant.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 07:00:01 PM »
I especially love how he showed us the color swatches of Korra and her parents. I didn't realize they were all the exact same skin color.

Offline Zevinja

• Councilwoman Zevinja / Moderator
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 68
  • Do the thing!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:27:33 PM »
Saw this, and it lead me to all the blog posts of people complaining about white-washing in Korra.

Seriously.  The show has a non-white, female protagonist who takes care of business.  Mike and Bryan are the last people you should be chastising for something like that.

I c o n s     b y     m y     S e c r e t     S a n t a !

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 11:02:20 PM »
Saw this, and it lead me to all the blog posts of people complaining about white-washing in Korra.

Seriously.  The show has a non-white, female protagonist who takes care of business.  Mike and Bryan are the last people you should be chastising for something like that.

This. This so much.

We never saw complaints in the original series. People get way too easily offended nowadays. You can't go on an IMDB message board without someone claiming a movie is racist. Ridiculous.

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 11:03:49 PM »
Yeah seriously. Good on you for setting them straight, Bryan.

~Set by me~

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 12:48:21 AM »

This. This so much.

We never saw complaints in the original series. People get way too easily offended nowadays. You can't go on an IMDB message board without someone claiming a movie is racist. Ridiculous.

Well I mean, TLA, for example, was pretty racist.

Offline bearboymcg

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 72
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 01:41:01 AM »
That post is really interesting:D

Beautiful Kataang set made by my Secret Santa:D

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 02:25:06 AM »

This. This so much.

Oh no argument there, but in the original animation we never got any complaints. I don't understand why LOK warrants these complaints it if it's not any different from ATLA.

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 02:38:45 AM »

This. This so much.

Oh no argument there, but in the original animation we never got any complaints. I don't understand why LOK warrants these complaints it if it's not any different from ATLA.
I must not see racism  as other people see it. I just saw TLA  as people being stupid and getting terrible actors to play characters that weren't their race.  I hated that  white people played Katara and Sokka, but I didn't think it was racist, jus M night being stupid. But then again, I haven't seen that movie in a long time and my mind doesn't go to "That's racist!" when I look at something like that. Just stupid. And like I said, it takes a lot to offend me(and I think people are way too touchy) and I classify racism as hating, or doing something hateful to someone based on their skin color.  Forgive me if I said something wrong, I'm just giving my two cents. xD

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 02:51:41 AM »

This. This so much.

I must not see racism  as other people see it. I just saw TLA  as people being stupid and getting terrible actors to play characters that weren't their race.  I hated that  white people played Katara and Sokka, but I didn't think it was racist, jus M night being stupid. But then again, I haven't seen that movie in a long time and my mind doesn't go to "That's racist!" when I look at something like that. Just stupid. And like I said, it takes a lot to offend me(and I think people are way too touchy) and I classify racism as hating, or doing something hateful to someone based on their skin color.  Forgive me if I said something wrong, I'm just giving my two cents. xD

Hmm, that's a good point.

Offline Cowboy Colt

• Knockout!
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 03:06:19 AM »

This. This so much.

Hmm, that's a good point.
Thank you! 8D But I'm, sure other people think I'm wrong. The only time I've ever seen something as 'offensive' in a movie was that Eskimo  scene in the movie 'North' When they have that waiting line to send all the old people off on an iceberg. I can see why someone could be hurt by that. But even stereotypes (when not taken too far.)  and stuff don't bother me. It's stupid and silly, but I just don't think "THAT IS RACIST AND OFFENSIVE!"   

[

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:55:47 AM »
Yeah, I dunno about TLA being racist-I just thought it was kind of silly- but I definitely agree that people are way to easily offended nowaways (and sometimes with good reason). But complaining about skin color, to me, seems...well, silly. I mean, I get that a lot of people love the characters from ATLA and LoK, but at the end of the day, they're all fictional characters. Does it matter so much if their skin tones aren't noticibly the same? ^^'

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline Cowboy Colt

• Knockout!
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 05:02:06 AM »
Yeah, I dunno about TLA being racist-I just thought it was kind of silly- but I definitely agree that people are way to easily offended nowaways (and sometimes with good reason). But complaining about skin color, to me, seems...well, silly. I mean, I get that a lot of people love the characters from ATLA and LoK, but at the end of the day, they're all fictional characters. Does it matter so much if their skin tones aren't noticibly the same? ^^'
Exactly.

[

Offline Nadeshani

• Lightningbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 80
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »
People are seriously complaining about this? My gawd take out the stick from yo butties. I find it ridiculous that Bryan even has taken the time to point this out while the damn show is one of the most respectful shows when it comes to different cultures. And at the end of the day it's their damn show, they could've made every single character a white male if they wanted to but in stead the main is a colored girl.

Also lighting is a thing. If i look lighter than i do in the dark because that's how nature works, should i be screaming bloody murder because i'm being white washed by the universe? Not to mention how i lose much of my tan in winter. That racist winter.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 06:23:43 AM by Nadeshani »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »
People are seriously complaining about this? My gawd take out the stick from yo butties. I find it ridiculous that Bryan even has taken the time to point this out while the damn show is one of the most respectful shows when it comes to different cultures. And at the end of the day it's their damn show, they could've made every single character a white male if they wanted to but in stead the main is a colored girl.

Also lighting is a thing. If i look lighter than i do in the dark because that's how nature works, should i be screaming bloody murder because i'm being white washed by the universe? Not to mention how i lose much of my tan in winter. That racist winter.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Racist Winter. XDDD

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »

Winter is coming.

It plans to besmirch the lands high and low with an endless coating of white.

Truly, the winter is the most prejudicial of all seasons.

But wait!

The summer bestows a tan upon white flesh; their skin turned red, like the red skin of the stereotypical, racist caricatures of the Native American Indians!

When shall the seasonal madness cease?!
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 12:58:06 AM »

Winter is coming.

But wait!

The summer bestows a tan upon white flesh; their skin turned red, like the red skin of the stereotypical, racist caricatures of the Native American Indians!

Av. Turning seasons racist one step at a time.

Offline NinjaKitty

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 58
    • My Facebook.
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 02:05:24 AM »

Winter is coming.

But wait!

Av. Turning seasons racist one step at a time.

Ahahaha.  Racist seasons.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.