Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Waterbending's animation in LOK vs ATLA  (Read 2728 times)

Offline teatimeallthetime

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 16
Waterbending's animation in LOK vs ATLA
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:50:20 AM »
Hey guys,

part of the reason why I decided to be a waterbender on here, besides the fact that waterbending is cool, is how much better waterbending looks in Legend of Korra than in Avatar: the Last Airbender. I went on avatarfightingstyles.tumblr.com to get the gifs that I'm using to prove my point, all credit goes to them. I just compiled it all here to make my case (put under spoiler blocks because its a lot of stuff):

the water cone catch (click to show/hide)

the water vortex (click to show/hide)

ummm idk the name for it... hitting people with a stream of water (click to show/hide)

steam/cloudbending (click to show/hide)

snowbending (click to show/hide)

wavebending (click to show/hide)

freezing people to walls (click to show/hide)

I could keep going but you guys see what i'm getting at here, right? Out of all the different forms of bending, waterbending's animation has definitely improved the most. It's so much more...watery this time around. I love it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:54:31 AM by teatimeallthetime »

Offline LightningStrike

• Sugar? I like sugar. GIMEE, NOW.
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 8
Re: Waterbending's animation in LOK vs ATLA
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
Meh, I think that LoK's graphics as a whole were better than A:TLA in general. Bryke and all the animators spent more time on it, anyways; something about making it more high quality? XD They definitely did that.
Avatar: The Last Airbender = Legend of Korra > Power Rangers > Harry Potter = Percy Jackson > [everything in the world] > Twilight Saga.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
Well of course it's better, graphics improve over time. It started back in 2005. While it looked really good back then, 3 years later it can't compare to the quality of season 3. LOK came out in 2012, 4 years from when ATLA ended is a pretty big gap, if 3 years can make big changes in graphics, then 4 years can do even more.

Actually between 2008 and 2013, graphics for video games, cartoons, movies, anime, etc, has improved drastically. Especially for video games, freaking crazy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:34:10 PM by Fenix »

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline LightningStrike

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »
Well of course it's better, graphics improve over time. It started back in 2005. While it looked really good back then, 3 years later it can't compare to the quality of season 3. LOK came out in 2012, 4 years from when ATLA ended is a pretty big gap, if 3 years can make big changes in graphics, then 4 years can do even more.

...True. When I look at the very first Book 1 drawings and animations (1: Boy in the Iceberg) now, I can't help but stare at the characters, who look so different from their Book 3 versions. But still, the animations weren't that bad. I actually liked the water spout version in A:TLA better compared to the LoK one. In this thread, at least - the other time when Korra used a water spout to (tried to, at least) catch up to Amon in that hovercraft (aaaand then ended up falling to her death, had not Lin been there to catch her) was great.

Quote (selected)
Actually between 2008 and 2013, graphics for video games, cartoons, movies, anime, etc, has improved drastically. Especially for video games, freaking crazy.

Pokemon. 'Nuff said.
Avatar: The Last Airbender = Legend of Korra > Power Rangers > Harry Potter = Percy Jackson > [everything in the world] > Twilight Saga.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 12:36:36 AM »

...True. When I look at the very first Book 1 drawings and animations (1: Boy in the Iceberg) now, I can't help but stare at the characters, who look so different from their Book 3 versions. But still, the animations weren't that bad. I actually liked the water spout version in A:TLA better compared to the LoK one. In this thread, at least - the other time when Korra used a water spout to (tried to, at least) catch up to Amon in that hovercraft (aaaand then ended up falling to her death, had not Lin been there to catch her) was great.

Quote (selected)

Pokemon. 'Nuff said.

Exactly. And notice that even the wardrobe and hairstyles got better from season 1 to season 3.

-nods- I've compared anime I've watched back in 2006 to now, it's crazy what 6 years can change in terms of graphics. Everything looks so good now.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:08 AM »
The improvement in depicting the water itself is what really strikes me especially when I look at those .gifs side by side.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 03:12:49 PM »
I think one of the things that impressed me the most in LOK was when I saw Korra freeze the water at the bottom of the bending arena. It froze in a snowflake pattern. It was amazing.

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »
For the animation quality, TOK is superior in every way, but when you look at the "forms" of the bender, I still think Aang does "more beautiful" waterbending/Tai chi here. Look at the first set, the water in LOK may look better, but she did nothing to call the water out, while Aang did have to move his body to call the water out and form a cone. 

But there is no doubt that tok has more beautiful animation. especially the ice scene Glitch mentioned, that one scene left me in awe and I had to rewatch because it was so pretty.

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 02:55:01 PM »
For the animation quality, TOK is superior in every way, but when you look at the "forms" of the bender, I still think Aang does "more beautiful" waterbending/Tai chi here. Look at the first set, the water in LOK may look better, but she did nothing to call the water out, while Aang did have to move his body to call the water out and form a cone. 
Do you think they might have done that on purpose to show contrast in the two characters? It might be an unrelated animation detail, but with such detail-oriented creators, I wonder...
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline LightningStrike

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 03:06:51 PM »
Do you think they might have done that on purpose to show contrast in the two characters? It might be an unrelated animation detail, but with such detail-oriented creators, I wonder...

Well, maybe. I always thought that Korra's style was more brash and up-fronted than Aang's, if that made any sense. I don't think that it's conservative, but then again, she seems non-conformist when it comes to bending. Like how she mentioned that maybe the reason she didn't need to learn airbending was because the Avatar didn't need to know it anymore. :P

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »

Well, maybe. I always thought that Korra's style was more brash and up-fronted than Aang's, if that made any sense. I don't think that it's conservative, but then again, she seems non-conformist when it comes to bending. Like how she mentioned that maybe the reason she didn't need to learn airbending was because the Avatar didn't need to know it anymore. :P
The thing is, every waterbender shown is just like that. Like Tahno, he doesn't do Taichi to waterbend either. Do we have any other waterbender?

but well, things are going "modern". The creators already informed us during production that their bending forms will be different.  but it is too unrecognizable IMO.

And in the end, when she can only do airbending, she did it with her fist. have you ever seen Aang airbent with his fist?

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline LightningStrike

• Pro-bending Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 03:33:39 PM »
The thing is, every waterbender shown is just like that. Like Tahno, he doesn't do Taichi to waterbend either. Do we have any other waterbender?

but well, things are going "modern". The creators already informed us during production that their bending forms will be different.  but it is too unrecognizable IMO.

And in the end, when she can only do airbending, she did it with her fist. have you ever seen Aang airbent with his fist?

"Republic City style", ;P. Yeah, I can only wonder what bending will be like in the Avatarverse's 2010s...

Since never. XD Yeah, but then again, since when have you ever seen Korra employ graceful, dance-like movements in the first place? She's all sharp edges. So airbending by sticking out a fist...well, it isn't that abnormal, if you put it in her situation.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.