Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Why do you dislike Twilight (if you do)?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
Why do you dislike Twilight (if you do)?
« on: March 12, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
Okay, these books are notorious for their poor writing, unlikable characters, and the slap in the face to vampire/werewolf genre. From what I see, people are in three camps when it comes to them: the fans, those who consider it a guilty pleasure, and those who hate it.  With the fans and haters, they seem to have the most hardline approach to the books.

I of course hated them for reasons everybody stated but when I think about it, people really hate it because we the every-person allowed something this bad to become a big hit.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Chaos

• cha0tic entity
  • Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 27
  • expect n0thing and everything.
Re: Why do you dislike Twilight (if you do)?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:59:11 AM »
purple prose, vocabulary used incorrectly, character dynamics that would be horrific in reality, poor relationship morals, and rabid fans.

cha02 has n0 name, n0 place, n0 gender......cha02 is n0thing and everything - unpredictable

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »
The fact that some people got obsessed with this and thought it was better than Harry Potter made me fear for humanity.

The standards that it set for male love interests is abhorrent and actually rather horrifying.

Many fantastic authors will never be as successful as Stephanie Meyer or the woman who got her horrendously-written erotic fanfiction of the Twilight series published.

It just doesn't deserve any of the success it's had, and unfortunately its reputation as a subpar franchise has earned the movies lakes of money from people watching it just to get a laugh, where other better franchises have suffered because of it.

It's like a stain, really. I don't really go out of my way to bash it, but when asked why, I could probably write an essay on the subject, something I really don't want to waste my time on because everyone has already heard everything there is to say about it.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 02:15:28 AM »
The concentrated hate it gets is really just because of how popular it is more than anything else. Go into any bookstore and you'll see shelves of terrible supernatural romance. Its harmless mostly.

The sort of relationship Twilight depicts is the only legit thing I don't like about it. The rest is just 'eh'.

Offline quidditchchick

• Councilwoman quidditchchick / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 146
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »
The fact that Jacob's sexual assault on Bella wasn't frowned upon, in fact it was praised by Bella's dad. When he asked how Bella hurt her hand, Jacob said she punched him when he kissed her and he was all "Lol nice". I mean, wtf? Bella punched Jacob because she didn't want to be kissed by him, and before that she even tried to push him away and he ignored her, and her dad didn't even care?

Plus, everything else mentioned above.

~Set by me~

Offline Chaos

• cha0tic entity
  • Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 27
  • expect n0thing and everything.
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:41 AM »
I read a great deal of supernatural books, romance and otherwise. none of the ones i read are written with such abuse of the language. dislike the genre, but at least acknowledge that the writing is better.

cha02 has n0 name, n0 place, n0 gender......cha02 is n0thing and everything - unpredictable

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:45:16 AM »
That would involve reading them, so I'll have to take your word for it.

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »
Oh, I don't know. May be it's because these so called vampires don't die in sunlight? Or is it because they sparkle? Or is it because the main character can't decide if she was a necrophilia or a zoophilia? I never saw the first movie or read the book, but I got free ticket to the second movie and I was like, why not? I love werewolves, but then my disappointment level went above the roof.

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
I love hating the books; or rather, the movies because I couldn't make it past the first half of book one. They are so horrible it's funny. Though I do think that the hate is almost as exaggerated as the love, sometimes - they have a huge amount of attention, and along with the like comes the dislike. They are bad, but there are equally bad books out there, that just aren't as popular.

Offline EnshroudingDarkness

• Lost in Snow ~
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 43
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:48:41 PM »
I never really cared for the books but watched the movies with my ex-girlfriend. And well...i do not really hate or like them at all. They are just some movies to me, nothing more. I would even dare to say that the last one was watchable until the last battle...they just know how to troll people.

But to be honest, there are movies out there who are far worse than Twilight.

"Once you enter Silent Hill there is no turning back."
ATLA Keeps
(click to show/hide)The Final Kataang kiss
The eatable effigies from "The Avatar Day"
Momo
Sokka's sword
Katara's smile

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
All of the above.

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.