Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Kataang life on Air Temple Island  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
Kataang life on Air Temple Island
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
So this is something I've been thinking about ever since ALOK came out. I have all sorts of delicious headcanons about how Aang went about organizing it's build and their family life on the Island raising Kya, Bumi and Tenzin. I'm curious to hear your guys thoughts about the initial move-in, married life with acolytes on the island also, and the very beginnings of this new home in relation to Kataang.

Let's discuss! :D

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
Re: Kataang life on Air Temple Island
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
There is a particular tumblr post outlining certain areas of Air Temple Island where Katara and Aang have..... connected....... with one another. That's definitely part of my head canon!
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
There is a particular tumblr post outlining certain areas of Air Temple Island where Katara and Aang have..... connected....... with one another. That's definitely part of my head canon!

Why did I know that it would be impossible to have this thread (and Schmitty in it) without it being slightly... mature.

It's still absolutely true, though.

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
As long as we keep it generic all is well. lol. XD
Feel free to link to that post, Schmitty! I'm seriously curious now. You guys can always join the Mature boards, too. Just a thought!

One thing I've wondered is if Tenzin and Pema's room featured in the show once belonged to Aang and Katara. ...Or if they had some ultra secret lovenest we'll never see.

Offline Schmitty

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
  • A little bit crazy, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »
What can I say Shiney? I just can't help myself.

Also Seluna, I would love to link it. But I just can't for the life of me find it. And believe me, I've tried.

Might be because I sort of want to do my own little parody/edit of it
Spread the Katara angle!

ATLA Keeps: The Taunting Fish (114), Katara's Blushes, Aang's Energybending, The Kataango, Sokka and Aang's Bromance
TLOK Keeps: Aang's Beard, Katara's importance of family, Kya's sass, Bumi's facial hair, Vacation Tenzin

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »
One thing I've wondered is if Tenzin and Pema's room featured in the show once belonged to Aang and Katara. ...Or if they had some ultra secret lovenest we'll never see.

They probably had both, coming to think of it!

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
Aang built the whole island for them as a lovenest. ^^'

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »
I have somer pretty strong opinions and visions about this subject.

So much so, I wrote two whole fan fics on this subject, but rather than ask you to go read them, I will summarize what I believe in this essay:

--The Four Nations leaders, once the United Republic of Nations was established from all the old colonies in the post Yu Dao crisis resolution, had to have a unifying government, composed of equal representation of the four elements. (the Council)
--To avoid any conflict of interest between the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation, and any remaining hard feelings, the capital of the Republic had to be neutral ground - not a former colony - roughly in the centroid of the FN colonies in the EK.  In point of fact Republic City is a bit north up the coast from Yu Dao if you believe the canon/near canon maps of the ATLAverse in Aang’s day. In addition the mountains behind Yu Dao do not match Republic City nor is there a bay
--I also believe that the world leaders wanted the new Republic to include the seat of the fledgling Air Nation within its geography, not some far flung refurbished old Air Temple that would cause Aang to lead from far away. I think he would want to be in the thick of the planning and construction
--I believe that the world leaders charged Aang to find the site that best envisioned his notion of the new Republic, so he and Katara went off on a journey to find the site.
--They stumbled upon this beautiful sheltered bay with the mountains behind it, and its beauty struck them to the core.  They spent the day exploring the mountains, valleys, etc.
--They saw something flying and chased it to the site where Air Temple Island stands now.
--In one of the Cliffside caves they found a family of the new species of sky bison, and the new species of flying lemurs were in the woods on the top of the Island.
--Understanding that miracle was a gift of the spirits, Aang broke down at first, but Aang and Katara rejoiced and established Air Temple Island right where it is, and Republic City across the bay became the URofN capital city.
--I believe Sokka, ever the engineer-warrior, was like Lafayette to General Washington in the design of all aspects of the city, and innovated with skyscrapers, suspension bridges, elevators, trams, electricity, radio, phones, etc as the techology came available, perhaps with Sato, Teo, and other inventors. Perhaps even the Mechanist for awhile if he lived a long time.
--I believe the statue of Aang did not go up til he died, and was erected in  his honor by Zuko as a gift of friendship. Aang nor Katara would ever allow something to edify him while he was alive.

This is my headcanon. I hope I am never proven wrong.

And these are my stories (about finding Air Temple Island and the bison as well as the statue) if you wish to experience my feelings as well as Kataang’s through the whole process. And Appa’s finding the new sky bison.

About the discovery of Air Temple Island and the site for Republic City:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8565812/1/Before-the-Republic

About the building of Aang's statue and memorial island:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8569340/1/The-Statue
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:34:25 PM by A6 »
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
I like to think Aang built Air Temple Island before starting a family with Katara.

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »
It's my headcanon (as being outlined in the background of Almost Airbenders) that Aang divided his time in the years after the conflict at Yu Dao pretty much equally between training the Acolytes and overseeing the treaty that established the URN.  When he was 16 or 17, he set about raising Air Temple Island and building the temple (with an assist from Toph).

Shortly after the Temple's completion, he and Katara were married.  They were young, they were in love, and the ceremony was very small and private. They only people in attendance were her family and the rest of the Gaang.  The party Sokka insisted on throwing for them in R-City after they returned from their honeymoon, however, was enormous (Toph footed the bill).  Aang tried to convince them it was unnecessary, but they wouldn't take no for an answer, so he just gave in and took advantage of the opportunity to dance with his new wife for an entire evening.

Offline Glitch

• Caleb
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
  • Appreciate every mistake your friends make.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »
I have somer pretty strong opinions and visions about this subject.

So much so, I wrote two whole fan fics on this subject, but rather than ask you to go read them, I will summarize what I believe in this essay:

--The Four Nations leaders, once the United Republic of Nations was established from all the old colonies in the post Yu Dao crisis resolution, had to have a unifying government, composed of equal representation of the four elements. (the Council)
--To avoid any conflict of interest between the Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation, and any remaining hard feelings, the capital of the Republic had to be neutral ground - not a former colony - roughly in the centroid of the FN colonies in the EK.  In point of fact Republic City is a bit north up the coast from Yu Dao if you believe the canon/near canon maps of the ATLAverse in Aang’s day. In addition the mountains behind Yu Dao do not match Republic City nor is there a bay
--I also believe that the world leaders wanted the new Republic to include the seat of the fledgling Air Nation within its geography, not some far flung refurbished old Air Temple that would cause Aang to lead from far away. I think he would want to be in the thick of the planning and construction
--I believe that the world leaders charged Aang to find the site that best envisioned his notion of the new Republic, so he and Katara went off on a journey to find the site.
--They stumbled upon this beautiful sheltered bay with the mountains behind it, and its beauty struck them to the core.  They spent the day exploring the mountains, valleys, etc.
--They saw something flying and chased it to the site where Air Temple Island stands now.
--In one of the Cliffside caves they found a family of the new species of sky bison, and the new species of flying lemurs were in the woods on the top of the Island.
--Understanding that miracle was a gift of the spirits, Aang broke down at first, but Aang and Katara rejoiced and established Air Temple Island right where it is, and Republic City across the bay became the URofN capital city.
--I believe Sokka, ever the engineer-warrior, was like Lafayette to General Washington in the design of all aspects of the city, and innovated with skyscrapers, suspension bridges, elevators, trams, electricity, radio, phones, etc as the techology came available, perhaps with Sato, Teo, and other inventors. Perhaps even the Mechanist for awhile if he lived a long time.
--I believe the statue of Aang did not go up til he died, and was erected in  his honor by Zuko as a gift of friendship. Aang nor Katara would ever allow something to edify him while he was alive.

This is my headcanon. I hope I am never proven wrong.

And these are my stories (about finding Air Temple Island and the bison as well as the statue) if you wish to experience my feelings as well as Kataang’s through the whole process. And Appa’s finding the new sky bison.

About the discovery of Air Temple Island and the site for Republic City:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8565812/1/Before-the-Republic

About the building of Aang's statue and memorial island:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8569340/1/The-Statue
Well there go all my yuans.

Offline Cassidy Alice

• "Laughter's the best medicine!"
  • Task Force
  • Winner!
  • Championship Pot: 262
    • Cassidy's Fanfiction
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 06:38:12 PM »
I like to imagine Aang and Katara spent their free time making fruit pies to throw at the Acolytes. XD

Set from tumblr. © Respective owners
Fanfiction | FictionPress | Tumblr | dA

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 06:56:27 PM »
I have a headcanon that once when Bumi was about fourteen, he came home with a cold and gave it to both Aang and Tenzin, and what followed proved to be one of the most exhausting weeks of Katara's life.

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »
Despite the fact Aang could have contracted the building of the Air Temple, and that he further could have earth bent the tower quickly from the rock of the island itself, my vision is that in statement of their Air Acolyte beliefs, he and the Air Acolytes built that tower and associated buildings stone by stone by the sweat of their own hands.

And the stones themselves were from imported from the ruins of the other four Air Temples in order to preserve the memories of their departed race.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 08:19:15 PM »
And the stones themselves were from imported from the ruins of the other four Air Temples in order to preserve the memories of their departed race.

O.O

Headcanon. Accepted.

Offline Nukilik

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 97
  • http://25.media.tumblr.com/9030ce0b1e02557e0cf2b56
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »
But didn't they rebuild/reform the  actual temples? They'd most likely use the ruins for that, no?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:55:17 PM by Nukilik »

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 09:01:14 PM »
I haven't seen anything from Bryke that would indicate that but I could be wrong.  But its a smalltemple and they could do both with some new construction. ATI's temple tower is pretty small compared to the four big temples. 

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »
Very true. ATI is tiny compared even to the Northern Temple (which from what it looked like, was the smallest of the four), and compared to the Eastern temple... whoo...

Offline Nukilik

• Naive Fools Club!
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 97
  • http://25.media.tumblr.com/9030ce0b1e02557e0cf2b56
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 09:13:08 PM »
Quote (selected)
I haven't seen anything from Bryke that would indicate that

We do know they reformed the SAT from information Bryke gave us at SDCC, there's even concept art of it for book 2.

(click to show/hide)

But you're right, they could still use it for a smaller temple.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:16:29 PM by Nukilik »

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
True that. Sorry I was really thinking about the other 3 temples that we don't know about that a few stones from them would be good source material.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.