Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Linzin: The Break-up  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
Linzin: The Break-up
« on: January 22, 2013, 08:35:01 AM »
So obviously these two lovers parted ways. And while their past relationship had an absolutely interesting dynamic - the big question remains:

Why did they break up?

Whatever your theory or thoughts on the matter are - feel free to post and discuss them here. :)

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
Re: Linzin: The Break-up
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
They were one of these clashy conflict pairings to begin with; then, he started laying on the pressure about wanting kids.  Eventually, that just sort of drove them apart.

Because she's a lot more confrontational than he is, I have the feeling that she's actually the one who called things off.  And that she wasn't gentle about it.
I keep:  Lin Beifong's resolve, Asami Sato's integrity, and Bolin's endearing inability to lie.

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 11:24:50 AM »
It's most likely about kids. They both have thier duty, one need kids, another can't affort baring kids.

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:08:49 PM »
While similar to the others, I believe the break up was more fundamental in their philosophies, as I have written in my Tenma fan fic.

Tenzin to me is a very spiritual person, a person looking to the future, but much more serious about it than his father, something he got from his mother, to be more serious and focused, not the carefree person his dad was most of the time.  But he was the sole inheritor of the Air Nation, being the only Air Bender in the family, and therefore had much pressure placed on him by the world and himself in expectations to carry on the race as the next to last air bender, for  whatever reasons, his mother and father unable to have another air bender.

I think Lin is more down to earth (pun intended) focused on the day to day aspects of life, including her dedication to cause of the security of Republic City, following in her mother Toph's footsteps.

I think that the pressures of both Lin and Tenzin following in their parents footsteps brought them together in the first place - becoming playmates while young because she and Tenzin were together all the time because Aang and Toph and Katara were together all the time.

I think as the pressures mounted, and having that in common, drew them together first as close friends, and then as lovers, as only one could truly share with the other what was on their minds all the time. In each other there was refuge as no other person in the world knew the great weights they carried as offspring of two of the most revered people in the world.

But I think that gave way eventually to their personality and philosophical diffferences of Lin being "of the world" and Tenzin being brought up in a strong, close family yet having the spirituality of his father being "beyond the world". We see this manifested throughout the times we see the Air Family in the first 12 ALOK episodes.

I think the pressure to continue the race of air benders was enormous pressure on Tenzin as well.

I think Lin did make the decision to break it up, I think she found someone else that would accept her for what she was without question or wanting to change her. And I think Tenzin did try to change her outlook on things, including family and children, which a headstrong, often easy to anger Lin resisted, and hot headed, short tempered Tenzin got mad about.  I think this continued to build, but with a sense of duty, obligation, or not wanting to 'let their parents down' I think the relationship continued, even if it was going nowhere.

I think Pema came into his life, as I have written about, at the peak of the time the conflicts were mounting between Lin and Tenzin, but that with each day of having Pema as his student, he saw more and more that everything he wanted Lin to become (and wasn't), Pema already was.

The clashes mounted and they gave up, despite being friends, and I think it is clear even that suffered. I think Lin finally gave up on Tenzin for the other man, let him down just about the same time he finally figured out he loved Pema, and Lin herself may have pointed that out.

That released them both to go with who they wanted. The break up was angry and tragic, and was clearly not reconciled nearly two decades later when Korra arrived on the scene.

Those are my thoughts. Go read my story if you want more insight, including who Lin ended up with for awhile. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:13:36 PM by A6 »
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline guitarfreak

• something of something~
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:38:15 PM »
^great thoughts, i agree largely with you *yuans*

i feel that their breakup was due to unfortunate circumstances forced onto them too
had things turned out slightly differently, maybe if there was another kataang airbaby, things might have worked out for them
tho i doubt i'd ship them as hard if they had such a happy ending like that, haha

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:16:16 PM »
I have a hard time believing that it's about  kids though. They're both in their 40s and there hasn't been any serious crime incidents in Republic City, and it's not like her metalbenders were more efficient/inefficient without her. Tenzin could just oversee things (and Lin didn't seem like she was on the field that often anyway, so being at headquarters and having a private quarters for rest wouldn't be hard either). I can see Lin not wanting to have kids for the sake of her job, but even then, I can't see it being relationship breaking given how I could see both Toph and Lin bearing children and still being on the job.

I think the ultimate question is this: If Toph could balance a kid and her job, why can't Lin do the same?

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »
^why didn't I think of that?

A6's explanation is really indepth and I can't really add anything more. XD

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
Maybe it's not a question of if Lin wanted/wants kids or not--maybe she can't. I like the idea of Tenzin feeling enormous pressure to repopulate some air benders, and if he was seeing someone who couldn't have kids, well...logic decrees he should marry a younger, more fertile woman, which he obviously did. And it would certainly explain some of the bitterness on Lin's end.

It makes sense to me, but there's a dozen other ways it could have gone. Pema obviously seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to them, so it simply could have been Tenzin falling in love with her instead.
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
Maybe it's not a question of if Lin wanted/wants kids or not--maybe she can't. I like the idea of Tenzin feeling enormous pressure to repopulate some air benders, and if he was seeing someone who couldn't have kids, well...logic decrees he should marry a younger, more fertile woman, which he obviously did. And it would certainly explain some of the bitterness on Lin's end.

It makes sense to me, but there's a dozen other ways it could have gone. Pema obviously seems to be the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to them, so it simply could have been Tenzin falling in love with her instead.

Eh, I'm not willing to believe that yet because of how the context of their relationship was set up. The way Tenzin described his fallout with Lin didn't seem to hint that Lin found out she was infertile. It felt more like a "we have different priorities" kind of break up, which begs the interesting question of what kind of priorities were so important that Lin thought that she couldn't balance a kid and her job?

Maybe there are some insecurities that Lin hasn't shown yet? Toph surely was one of those strong but had inner confidence issue girls, and it's not too surprising if her daughter took on some of those attributes.

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
Fair 'nuff. But I think it's pretty fair to say Lin's pretty committed to her job--maybe she simply didn't want kids, and Tenzin did.
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:54 PM »
Fair 'nuff. But I think it's pretty fair to say Lin's pretty committed to her job--maybe she simply didn't want kids, and Tenzin did.

That's honestly the best explanation.

Though when Lin put all her effort into protecting Tenzin's kids, there's just some doubt in my mind. I know on one hand there's the obvious "WELL IF THEY'RE IN AMON'S HANDS THERE GOES ALL THE AIRBENDERS IN THE WORLD," but I can't help but feel that it was an impressive display of her maternal instincts, which is partially why I can't wrap my head around the theory that she just didn't want kids.

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 10:33:11 PM »
The way Tenzin described it, I feel like there's an implication that it was rather gradual and organic. In light of that, A6's interpretation has made a lot of sense to me since I started reading his fic, that it came down to some pretty fundamental differences in life philosophy.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 12:43:14 AM »
I don't know why but I feel it was about having kids, though I hate the idea of Lin being angry because Tenzin wouldn't accept a future with her without them. It just seems so selfish.

On whose part is it selfish, exactly? Just curious.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SD’s Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline NinjaKitty

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 58
    • My Facebook.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »
I think Lins career was the primary reason for her (them?) Not having kids. Pretty sure her starting position wasn't immediately the chief of the police force. She probably spent years training, and then as a part of the force itself. Having kids would definately throw a wrench in that.

or, on the darker side, maybe Tenzin had some sort of an affair with Pema? Lin could just see this younger, more attractive girl that Tenzin was making those eyes at.

Maybe we'll know.. or never know...

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
I think Lins career was the primary reason for her (them?) Not having kids. Pretty sure her starting position wasn't immediately the chief of the police force. She probably spent years training, and then as a part of the force itself. Having kids would definately throw a wrench in that.

or, on the darker side, maybe Tenzin had some sort of an affair with Pema? Lin could just see this younger, more attractive girl that Tenzin was making those eyes at.

Maybe we'll know.. or never know...

I don't know. Like I said before, if Toph was baller enough to have a child and also stay fit for duty, why can't Lin?

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »
Isn't that choice up to the individual woman? Different people have different comfort levels and values with that sort of thing, even if they are related. As I understand it, it's a rather big and nuanced decision for a lot of women.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM »
Isn't that choice up to the individual woman? Different people have different comfort levels and values with that sort of thing, even if they are related. As I understand it, it's a rather big and nuanced decision for a lot of women.

It is, but the question I'm asking is what part of Lin's character suggests that she'd choose not to have kids for the sake of her job?

An interesting proposal though: Presumably Lin was alive when Toph was injured during the Yakone incident. Maybe Toph's injuries really put a traumatic strain on Lin, who was frightened and scared at the idea that her mother could very well die at the hands of a psychotic murderer. This is what drives her to stay away from having kids, because she doesn't want to put her children in a position where they might experience such a horrifying part of her life.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:02:07 PM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 11:14:55 PM »
I think there's a subconscious perception that Lin is "all business", 100% of the time because we have so far really only seen her at her job with a few borderline exceptions. So, perhaps the impression of the character in most people's minds is that of "all business, all the time, no life outside of it" simply by virtue of only having that aspect of her life to draw from.

This is probably not the first time someone has suggested this, but in this case especially it would be nice to see more of Lin outside of her duties (official or otherwise), so we can observe the personal aspects of her life more directly.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »
I think there's a subconscious perception that Lin is "all business", 100% of the time because we have so far really only seen her at her job with a few borderline exceptions. So, perhaps the impression of the character in most people's minds is that of "all business, all the time, no life outside of it" simply by virtue of only having that aspect of her life to draw from.

This is probably not the first time someone has suggested this, but in this case especially it would be nice to see more of Lin outside of her duties (official or otherwise), so we can observe the personal aspects of her life more directly.

Well as to the first part about Lin not doing much in her current life, you're probably right considering the state of her home:

Still, I think her past relationships with Tenzin suggests that she's not 100% business, that she was willing to have friendships and romantic relationships with other people while still committing herself to her job. The few things we ever got to know about Lin and her past, it was the fact that she seemed to have fond memories and almost nostalgic memories of them.

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 11:29:38 PM »
I agree, I think there's much more to her life than her job. But the majority of her screen time has been her "doing work" (and oh, how Korra fans love to watch her work...), so that's what dominates when one thinks of the character. It's enough to give fans the notion that truly doesn't have any other side to her, or so I'm speculating.

I think many TLK fans would enjoy seeing the other aspects of her life to give us better insight into the character, especially when we have questions like the ones this thread centers around. Or, if she truly no longer has those aspects, it would be cool to see her earlier in life when she did.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.