Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Tenma General Discussion!  (Read 20935 times)

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
Re: Tenma General Discussion!
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2012, 05:15:11 AM »
I love Pemzin! It's the only thing in LoK that I ship!

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2012, 07:30:10 AM »
I actually don't think Pema was deliberately encouraging Korra at all.  Between Linzin already being on the outs at that point, Pema's "oh, shoot" expression in the kitchen scene in 10, and the fact that Pema had—by her own admission—waited for quite a while, I didn't interpret it that way.

Now, the "wrong woman" comment does sound presumptuous at first blush.  But in context, I think she was supposed to be implying that by then, it was obvious to everyone that Lin and Tenzin weren't all that compatible.  (And...yeah; I can see how they wouldn't be all that compatible.)

If I fault anything she did there, it's that she maybe didn't make things clear enough.  Or underestimated Korra's sheer impulsiveness.
I keep:  Lin Beifong's resolve, Asami Sato's integrity, and Bolin's endearing inability to lie.

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »
I actually don't think Pema was deliberately encouraging Korra at all.

I agree with you there.  Pema had no idea how her words would be interpreted by brash, impulsive Korra. Pema truly is an Air Acolyte down to the heart of her. She was trying to offer the perspective of her own experience (which, from what I heard, seemed to be "In the course of true love, patience and a willingness to put yourself out there can go a long way" rather than "Go steal him!" as Korra interpreted it), and having very little frame of reference for just how Korra tends to take things like this, she just wasn't as careful as she could have been in how she framed her advice.

And let's face it, from Pema's perspective, Tenzin was with the wrong woman when he was with Lin, considering that at the time Pema gave that advice, she and Tenzin had been married for at least eleven years and had three children with a fourth on the way.

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2012, 08:28:08 AM »
And let's face it, from Pema's perspective, Tenzin was with the wrong woman when he was with Lin, considering that at the time Pema gave that advice, she and Tenzin had been married for at least eleven years and had three children with a fourth on the way.
That, too.  I can see how it could be retrospect, as opposed to what she was actually thinking back then.

Here's how I've always imagined it:  She's this little Acolyte who probably joined up as a teenager (kind of liking the idea of her as a TyTeo kid, by the way).  Maybe she's even had this little schoolgirl crush on Tenzin from day one, but has been trying to put it out of her mind; he's twice her age, he's attached, and—for all that they do interact—she generally considers him out of reach.

This probably goes on for years.  It becomes increasingly clear that Tenzin and Lin aren't all that compatible.  (Love their dynamic as it is, but...let's face it: they wouldn't be.)  And Pema starts realizing that her schoolgirl crush has turned into honest-to-spirits falling for the guy. 

She keeps biting her tongue for a while.  But finally, it gets to be too much:  She blurts something to Tenzin about how if things don't work out between him and Lin, she's totally interested.

And sure enough, things don't.  (I actually about half suspect Lin was the one to call it off.)  And the rest is history.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:29:40 AM by Deist Zealot »
I keep:  Lin Beifong's resolve, Asami Sato's integrity, and Bolin's endearing inability to lie.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
Isn't the idea of Pema being a Teo Lee baby strangely appealing? I ship the two of them like burning, but the idea of them actually being the other set of grandparents to the new Air Nation... that's oddly gorg.

Anyway, I love your headcanon of how Pemzin came to be. I actually really want to write a miniseries someday (though god knows when I'll have the time, with all my other ff projects clouding up my head) about a series of conversations between Aang and Pema that ultimately led to her gaining the courage to be honest about her feelings.  Because I just have this funny feeling that Aang and Pema got along famously.  But that's not exactly a shocker, because Aang gets along with everybody.  But I still think he was probably the one sitting back with a smug little smirk on his face when Tenzin and Pema finally got together.  It was hilarious, because for the past few years, he'd called every relationship twist between the Gaang's kids dead wrong, and everybody (especially Katara) had been teasing him about it non-stop, but when it came to his youngest son's love, he had it called from the start, and got to be quietly smug while everybody else (by which I mean Sokka) was just sitting there going "0.0 Linzin broke up? Whuuu...?"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:04:23 AM by The Melon Lord Approves »

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 01:49:07 PM »
Do we know anything about the sort of relationship Pema and Tenzin had before they got together? Like, how long had they known each other or anything like that?

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »
No, we don't know.  We do know that Pema was a member of the Air Acolytes before she married Tenzin (well... still is, obviously, but you get my point), but other than that, we haven't been given much.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the member-from-birth theory, simply because my headcanon is that she's a Teo Lee baby, and I maintain that Teo really was the original inspiration for the entire concept of the Air Acolytes to begin with (because The Promise may have told us how the group was founded but I think the idea had been in the back of Aang's mind since he met Teo, with his airbender's spirit), and as such may have been involved in some way.

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 07:23:19 PM »
I'm very curious about Pema's past. We don't know much about it other than the fact that Pema confessed her love for Tenzin and he left Lin for Pema. Wonder how old she was at the time cause she's 16 years younger than Tenzin. So she was 25 when she had Jinora... I'd like to think that Aang attended their wedding, but I dunno. Pema would've been very young.

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2012, 08:16:46 PM »
Aang was at his youngest son's wedding and no one can tell me otherwise.

We just need to see more of the Air Family in general. I'd absolutely love to get a look into Pema's past (although I'm not holding my breath), but I'll settle for not getting it if it means keeping my Teo Lee headcanon intact. I've never been this in love with a headcanon before. It's actually frightening how attached I am to the idea of Pema as their late-in-life surprise youngest daughter.

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
No, we don't know.  We do know that Pema was a member of the Air Acolytes before she married Tenzin (well... still is, obviously, but you get my point), but other than that, we haven't been given much.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the member-from-birth theory, simply because my headcanon is that she's a Teo Lee baby, and I maintain that Teo really was the original inspiration for the entire concept of the Air Acolytes to begin with (because The Promise may have told us how the group was founded but I think the idea had been in the back of Aang's mind since he met Teo, with his airbender's spirit), and as such may have been involved in some way.
And Teo Lee would be Teo/Ty Lee I'm guessing? Interesting idea, what with the Ty Lee having Air Nomad speculation...
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »
And Teo Lee would be Teo/Ty Lee I'm guessing? Interesting idea, what with the Ty Lee having Air Nomad speculation...
Yeah, Pema being their late-in-life daughter seems to be a well-liked speculation.  Or it does here, anyway.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »

It is indeed. It's an oddly addicting idea the longer you think about it. His pragmatism and free spirit combined with her bubbliness and spirituality just seems to work. They're just this unlikely pair of Almost Airbenders with a great deal in common once you get past the surface layers. And I love the idea of them being Pema's parents. It's very fitting and a lovely parallel to draw.

Offline bruisedreed

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 45
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:29 AM »

It is indeed. It's an oddly addicting idea the longer you think about it. His pragmatism and free spirit combined with her bubbliness and spirituality just seems to work. They're just this unlikely pair of Almost Airbenders with a great deal in common once you get past the surface layers. And I love the idea of them being Pema's parents. It's very fitting and a lovely parallel to draw.
And it makes me giggle!

Sig by Seluna
I will trust You

Offline Autumn

• Master Sketch Bender
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 141
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2012, 06:29:20 AM »
OMG! Do you know what should totally happen? My headcanon is that Pema can KICK BUTT. There should totally be an episode where she fights (the reason doesn't matter cause it'd be awesome) and everyone would be like O_O and Pema would be like "Daaaaaang straight!" She seems like the nurturing/mothering type, but I'd love to see a different side of her. An AWESOME side of her!

ATLA Keeps (click to show/hide)
-Aang’s tattoos
-Kataang’s fluffiness
-Toph’s earthbending sight

LOK Keeps (click to show/hide)
-The Kataang Family Portrait
-Tenzin’s Tattoos
-Toph’s Statue
-Korra's Appa Plushie
-Pokey the Lemur

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
I've always suspected that Pema was actually a secret badass. I mean, the whole time we've known her she's been pregnant so we haven't gotten to see it... but it's pretty safe to assume that she was well-trained in the forms of airbending like all the Air Acolytes.  And as per The Promise pt 3, it's established that even without the actual ability to bend, these forms still work pretty well as a form of contact martial arts in and of themselves (no duh).

So we need to see Pema just all of a sudden whip out the badassery and kick butt and save everyone.  And then Tenzin can just be standing in the background stroking his beard like

"Yep. That's my wife. That there is myyyyy wife."  *smirk*

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
I've always suspected that Pema was actually a secret badass. I mean, the whole time we've known her she's been pregnant so we haven't gotten to see it... but it's pretty safe to assume that she was well-trained in the forms of airbending like all the Air Acolytes.  And as per The Promise pt 3, it's established that even without the actual ability to bend, these forms still work pretty well as a form of contact martial arts in and of themselves (no duh).

So we need to see Pema just all of a sudden whip out the badassery and kick butt and save everyone.  And then Tenzin can just be standing in the background stroking his beard like

Personal headcanon:  By the time Korra and Mako crashed that rally in the finale, most of the chi-blockers were terrified of Pema.

"Please tell us this doesn't involve dealing with that little Mama Platypus-Bear."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:57:34 AM by Deist Zealot »

Offline bruisedreed

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 45
    • Fanfiction.net
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2012, 07:58:20 AM »

Personal headcanon:  By the time Korra and Mako crashed that rally in the finale, most of the chi-blockers were terrified of Pema.

"Please tell us this doesn't involve dealing with that little Mama Platypus-Bear."
That's why they didn't let her out of the cell...like Lin...

Sig by Seluna
I will trust You

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »

That's why they didn't let her out of the cell...like Lin...

Tenzin just has a thing for attracting the badass ladies...

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
With that gif and Melon's sig, there's a whole lotta beard stroking going on.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 09:16:43 AM »
We all know Tenzin took lessons from Uncle Wang Fire Sokka when it came to How To Properly Stroke An Impressive Beard.  Heck, his entire facial hair design was probably inspired by good ol' Uncle Sokka...

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.