Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Yakone's Wife  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
Yakone's Wife
« on: January 17, 2013, 09:04:37 AM »

I rather like discussing characters we may not know a lot about - which definitely brings me to this lady. Much happened to her obviously - and she was lied to from the get-go. Her eldest son vanished - presumably dead in her world, her husband dying shortly after, and being left alone when Tarrlok eventually ventured into the city.

What do you suppose her relationships were like in the family unit? Do you consider her a good mother or Yakone that bad of a father to make the children so terrified as to not let on to what was going on? Should she have realized something was going on sooner or could she possibly already have been but too afraid to speak out in the somewhat sexist, male-domineering Northern Water Tribe culture? Do we think she might have been abused, too?

I'm curious what everyone else's opinions are with this character: headcanons, assumptions, observations ... everything's good here.

Discuss!

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
Re: Yakone's Wife
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:52:20 AM »
It'd be cool if she was an utter evil person as well. I think sometimes people are too quick to assume that sort of relationship (same with Ursa and Ozai to an extent) when for all we know she was a terrible person too.

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:18 PM »
This character is a very complicated person to figure out, as we only get Tarrlok's POV to Korra on this.
I first wish we knew her name and a little on her background as well.

I am sure she started out innocently with Yakone, and appears to be significantly younger, and a tribal gal all her life I would imagine.  A simple young woman, full of love for her family. It is very clear that Tarrlok and Noatak were very happy boys, and filled with compassion for each other and for others, and that appears to come from her and her mothering skills.

But a lot happened to her or she allowed it to happen to her, and there are my issues as well as my pity for the wife of Yakone.

I imagine early on, like some women, was dedicated to 'changing' Yakone to be a better person if any of his traits came out when they were only a couple or young. I do think Yakone is an accomplished liar, and probably had her completely distracted for a long time.

I think she is a victim of domestic violence (at least mentally), and that she was for a long time duped by Yakone on what was actually going on during on the 'hunting trips' with the boys. People can go for years not able to sense what is happening within a family, or they block it out and refuse to see what is really happening and she may have been one of those. Which would have made her to me a pretty clueless mother, not well attuned to her children and their moods. My wife instantly knows what each of our children is thinking. There have been few surprises to her over the years.

But we don't know much about NWT tribal customs, who dominant the male in a relationship is, and whether she had any options to leave with her boys or just be forced to bear it.

I may be overly critical or harsh in my observations and judgments, but I think she would have had it in her power to changes conditions or just walk away with the children to a safer place, but I am applying modern standards to this marriage. If they lived in the NWT capital, there may have been that chance. Living rurally as it appears they did, she was trapped - either truly not knowing what was going on (for which I would pity her), allowing it to happen (which would cause me to blame HER for what happened), or being forced to Yakone's will with the children (which would make me saddest as she was as much a victim as the boys).

While we don't know her fate post-Yakone's death and the boys departing, I guess my head canon is that she died of a broken heart for what might have been but wasn't, with the nightmare she was forced to live.  Some victims of domestic violence love their spouses to the very end, always believing in the good people they were or could be "if only" they had been better spouses to them.

If there was any glimmer of hope left, my alternate head canon was that Tarrlok and Noatak were headed north to reunite with their mother, changed men, to bond again with her and start over.  While this is the most compassionate scenario, it is probably not realistic. I think the stories of Tarrlok and Noatak and their mother are ultimately one of the most tragic of all family situations.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:23:15 PM by A6 »
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Seluna

• The Amon-istrator :|
  • Administrator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 162
  • "Noatak-in' back!"
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
Take my yuans, A6. I have a lot to contribute to this thread - but work awaits me.

Keep this discussion coming - I'm loving it. The characters we know the least about are the funnest to try and figure out.

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:32:26 PM »
Well I think its safe to assume Yakone had a largely dominant position over his wife, as something heavily reflected in Amon's own relationship with the Lieutenant.

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
That is definitely a most logical situation.  Children get much inherited, but environment shapes a lot of things in a person.

Offline Tiger

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 110
  • I'm the Wan and the only
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 01:07:12 PM »
There's one thing we know for sure; Tarlok loves his mom.

older sigs (click to show/hide)

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:23:59 PM »
That is for certain!

Offline Cowboy Colt

• We are free to stuggle but we are not stuggling to be free.
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 231
  • Comparison is the death of contentedness
    • www.fanfiction.net
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »
This character is a very complicated person to figure out, as we only get Tarrlok's POV to Korra on this.
I first wish we knew her name and a little on her background as well.

I am sure she started out innocently with Yakone, and appears to be significantly younger, and a tribal gal all her life I would imagine.  A simple young woman, full of love for her family. It is very clear that Tarrlok and Noatak were very happy boys, and filled with compassion for each other and for others, and that appears to come from her and her mothering skills.

But a lot happened to her or she allowed it to happen to her, and there are my issues as well as my pity for the wife of Yakone.

I imagine early on, like some women, was dedicated to 'changing' Yakone to be a better person if any of his traits came out when they were only a couple or young. I do think Yakone is an accomplished liar, and probably had her completely distracted for a long time.

I think she is a victim of domestic violence (at least mentally), and that she was for a long time duped by Yakone on what was actually going on during on the 'hunting trips' with the boys. People can go for years not able to sense what is happening within a family, or they block it out and refuse to see what is really happening and she may have been one of those. Which would have made her to me a pretty clueless mother, not well attuned to her children and their moods. My wife instantly knows what each of our children is thinking. There have been few surprises to her over the years.

But we don't know much about NWT tribal customs, who dominant the male in a relationship is, and whether she had any options to leave with her boys or just be forced to bear it.

I may be overly critical or harsh in my observations and judgments, but I think she would have had it in her power to changes conditions or just walk away with the children to a safer place, but I am applying modern standards to this marriage. If they lived in the NWT capital, there may have been that chance. Living rurally as it appears they did, she was trapped - either truly not knowing what was going on (for which I would pity her), allowing it to happen (which would cause me to blame HER for what happened), or being forced to Yakone's will with the children (which would make me saddest as she was as much a victim as the boys).

While we don't know her fate post-Yakone's death and the boys departing, I guess my head canon is that she died of a broken heart for what might have been but wasn't, with the nightmare she was forced to live.  Some victims of domestic violence love their spouses to the very end, always believing in the good people they were or could be "if only" they had been better spouses to them.

If there was any glimmer of hope left, my alternate head canon was that Tarrlok and Noatak were headed north to reunite with their mother, changed men, to bond again with her and start over.  While this is the most compassionate scenario, it is probably not realistic. I think the stories of Tarrlok and Noatak and their mother are ultimately one of the most tragic of all family situations.
This is simply amazing, A6. It made me look at their family in a different light. *yuan*

keeps and quotes (click to show/hide)
 ATLA keeps: Kataang lovemaking, "MY CABBAGES " line, Aangs quiet badassness
Main theme (click to show/hide)
[
Elevation requires separation.

Be thankful for each day that you have.

Member of the league of butts-Guardian's of the Markiplier fandom.

Offline Team-Megan

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 75
    • My New DevArt
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 03:56:29 PM »
I agree with A6 to some extent.

While we saw the 70 years ago NWT in the first series with Aang and the gaang, customs most likely changed after the Northern Tribe helped resettle the southern tribe- not just in the south, but the north as well. Especially after many like Kanna and Katara challenged their culture's out-dated misogynistic ways.

But, like our own culture, some probably held on to the old chauvanistic traditions. Look at the middle east, for example, and in some essense the Mormons here in the USA. So, it's most likely in what seems to be such a remote area that Yakone raised his family, that those old traditions were still being followed and like A6 said, the poor mother of Tarrlok and Noatak couldn't escape with her boys if she truly saw what was going on.

On that note, coming from a highly dysfunctional family myself, full of secrets that stretch generations, I know that my great-grandfather died an old man not knowing that his boys were not his own. So it is possible to hide things within a family. Especially when one spouse is, as I suspect Yakone was, abusive in some ways.

I wish they would have gave Yakone's wife a name, because even though she was only featured for a short time, it would've done her more justice to give us a name to call her by, because she is a beautiful woman who suffered needlessly under the assumption that her husband was a good man. I highly doubt she was evil as well. In my headcanon she was clueless as to the abuse her kids were facing, because let's be honest, her two sons prove themselves to be very good actors.
I know my own stepmother can't tell that anything is wrong with me and my brothers when something's gone sour at home. Not saying she's a bad mother or anything, but it is very easy to harden your heart as a member of a family with issues.

So maybe that's what she had to do. She probably saw red flags here and there, but like most women in love, chose to ignore them or look at the good despite the bad.

SIG by Ventus_08 on Devart

Sis to Seluna, A6 and many others.
Daughter of Tiger and Mithendiel. (Even if they aren't married now...)

Offline NinjaKitty

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 58
    • My Facebook.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 04:44:20 PM »
I agree with A6 to some extent.

While we saw the 70 years ago NWT in the first series with Aang and the gaang, customs most likely changed after the Northern Tribe helped resettle the southern tribe- not just in the south, but the north as well. Especially after many like Kanna and Katara challenged their culture's out-dated misogynistic ways.

But, like our own culture, some probably held on to the old chauvanistic traditions. Look at the middle east, for example, and in some essense the Mormons here in the USA. So, it's most likely in what seems to be such a remote area that Yakone raised his family, that those old traditions were still being followed and like A6 said, the poor mother of Tarrlok and Noatak couldn't escape with her boys if she truly saw what was going on.

On that note, coming from a highly dysfunctional family myself, full of secrets that stretch generations, I know that my great-grandfather died an old man not knowing that his boys were not his own. So it is possible to hide things within a family. Especially when one spouse is, as I suspect Yakone was, abusive in some ways.

I wish they would have gave Yakone's wife a name, because even though she was only featured for a short time, it would've done her more justice to give us a name to call her by, because she is a beautiful woman who suffered needlessly under the assumption that her husband was a good man. I highly doubt she was evil as well. In my headcanon she was clueless as to the abuse her kids were facing, because let's be honest, her two sons prove themselves to be very good actors.
I know my own stepmother can't tell that anything is wrong with me and my brothers when something's gone sour at home. Not saying she's a bad mother or anything, but it is very easy to harden your heart as a member of a family with issues.

So maybe that's what she had to do. She probably saw red flags here and there, but like most women in love, chose to ignore them or look at the good despite the bad.

Agree 100% and that is something I believe most likely happened. That, or she just had no idea what was going on all those years. Hopefully we might learn more about her in later Books.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.