Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Happy Epiphany!  (Read 900 times)

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
Happy Epiphany!
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:19:37 PM »
Wishing everyone a nice 12th day of Christmas, the day on which Christian church tradition says that the Magi (wise men) visited Jesus in a relative's home in Bethlehem in fulfillment of the scriptures and presented the three gifs of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

Our family celebrates this tradition by keeping our lights going every night through the end of Epiphany, and the wife and I celebrate by reading the scripture about the wise men, and we give the kids one final present. Sometimes the present is religious, sometimes it is silly (this year), and sometimes we give them more normal gifts.

As a result we are usually the last ones in our neighborhood to take down our lights and Christmas trees (we have four).

Some eastern Christian churches actually observe their Christmas day since it is the day of Magi's gifts.

How do you celebrate Epiphany?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:34:24 PM by A6 »
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Milliardo

• Gundam Pilot
  • Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 6
  • On your grave...
Re: Happy Epiphany!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 09:27:09 PM »
January 7 is the Nativity for many Orthodox today, though for those following the revised Julian calendar Jan. 6 is Theophany. At Theophany is done the blessing of waters as well as house blessings in the Orthodox Church.

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 33
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 10:16:01 PM »
It's Italian tradition to celebrate La Boufana day on January 6. Kids leave out their shoes and the Italian witch gives a few small presents. if you were good, you get citrus fruit along with some small presents. If you were bad, you get onions instead of coal.

ATLA Keeper of: On Ji's bangs, Ty Lee's love of pink, Ty Lee's aura, Ty Lee's flirting skills, and Ty Lee's eyes
LoK Keeper of: Pabu, Ikki's Spazziness, Lin's Badassness, Korra's rage face, all of the jazzy tunes

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:14:49 AM »
What a fine tradition Saxy!

So what did YOU get?

Offline Saxy

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 33
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 04:50:06 AM »
We didn't celebrate this year.  It's more of a kid thing and my sister and I got a lot of Christmas presents. Though I do remember years where my sister got onions(along with some other presents, but still haha)

ATLA Keeper of: On Ji's bangs, Ty Lee's love of pink, Ty Lee's aura, Ty Lee's flirting skills, and Ty Lee's eyes
LoK Keeper of: Pabu, Ikki's Spazziness, Lin's Badassness, Korra's rage face, all of the jazzy tunes

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
That is funny.  Bet she was not really happy about that.

This year we all got cans of Skyline Chili. One of our favorite places from our days in Ohio, but there are no restaurants here!

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.