Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: What Could've Been Done Better?  (Read 6353 times)

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
Re: What Could've Been Done Better?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2013, 03:38:39 AM »
Quote (selected)
Yes, I'm well aware of all of these things. I actually have some background, but it would be best if I didn't speak further on it. But again, we don't know for certain what Intelligence-Surveillance-Reconnaissance gathering he may have used. We don't know if he was fed bad intel. We don't know his technology failed him, if his sensors were spoofed, etc. There's too much I don't know before I'm willing to cast judgement on what exactly his error was, and how severe.

That's a poor defense, because if it's not shown or given some kind of continuity, that means it didn't happen. That's how literature/visual media is interpreted and arguing what-ifs the way you're doing is like arguing head canon which becomes even more convoluted than what you're/we're/whatever doing right now.

Quote (selected)
Again, you act as though this is a black and white situation. I don't think it's that simple. We'll have to leave it at that, because I'm never going to get the additional information I'd want first.

Above point.

Quote (selected)
The assumption we have to draw is that there are thousands of people who are as capable as Ty Lee on the opposition and Hiroshi Sato is Henry Ford/the Wright Brothers/God of War rolled into one, and I don't like any of these assumptions.

How is this not true?

Quote (selected)
Every other time was just them getting pit against insurmountable (where did it come from) odds and losing pitifully. There was no fair contest.

How was this not true?

Quote (selected)
They basically spelled out in the entirety of the show (AKA it was Bryke's intention) to show us that the government of Republic City was an utter farce.

How is this not true?

Again, I haven't presented any opinion and regarded it as fact. I've presented pretty clear comments that are probably more true than they are false, and for purposes of debate, regard them as true for the sole purpose of garnering discussion.

Quote (selected)
And speaking in certainties about debatable points is not indicative of a good debater.

I haven't done this with debatable points. Again, prove why what I said was wrong, because you might not like the implications that come along with them, but the Equalists are basically Ty Lee fighters, Hiroshi Sato is a Ford/God of War cross, and Bryke's intention was made exceptionally clear in episode 12 that the government of Republic City is run with people who aren't the best politicians.

So again, show me where I'm taking debatable points and presenting them as factoids.

Quote (selected)
Sometimes this means taking your foot off the gas with how strongly you want to present those assessments. Sometimes, it means recognizing that they point you want to debate isn't well suited yet for making a strong argument without more information, hence the need to use discretion and restraint. It pays dividends, in the end, in terms of conveying your point successfully.

1. Good luck ever getting "more information" because I guarantee a lot of these things will never get revisited, which isn't a bad thing. Season One is just over.
2. I don't think I've presented these cases strongly at all.
3. I think you're confusing how to debate actual real world events and fiction, because I think there's significant differences in how you approach the two. Your insistence on tangibles neglects the fact that arguing over things like this with "facts" and "additional" information is just unrealistic.
4. Not sure what you mean by restraint, but I'm pretty sure I haven't said anything particularly over the line. Sure there's exaggeration for the sake of personal flare, but that's about it.

Quote (selected)
Yeah, I just don't think your examples are as solid as you think. That tends to be off-putting for potential debate partners. This may explain the lack of participation other than myself, but I can't officially speak for anyone but myself.

When examples get ignored, that's when you get the assumptions that the person who isn't responding doesn't have anything to say to them.

Just because you say you have opposed points of views doesn't mean you can just wave certain things off and say "I just don't buy things" and expect someone to think that their argument is bogus. It's either you argue it instead of saying "Yeah I disagree" or don't be surprised when the person you're talking to continues to say these things over and over again because they go uncontested.

This is basic debate.

Quote (selected)
There's a right way to discuss and debate things like this, that effectively communicates even to those who disagree with you, and which also encourages others to join in...and there's a wrong way. There's probably several right ways, and many more wrong ways. This is what I mean by "legitimate". Personally, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot with your current practices. They seem to me to be more like "picking a fight" than fostering a good environment for respectful debate.

So there's something fundamentally wrong with looking at Korra in a different angle and then posting it up to see who bites?

Since when have I been disrespectful in debate? I may be cold and nonpersonal, but that's not disrespect as much as it is I don't really care so much about you as much as I do your arguments, and I treat everyone this way, even people that I know more closely on this site. And if I think your arguments are bad or if I think my initial argument was garbage, then I'll say it is.

And when have I been picking a fight? Do I appear like I'm targeting you, the other person in this discussion, or am I just targeting your argument?

The current way you're debating a fictional universe is like saying you need some kind of absolute information before making any judgments, and that's ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with using conjecture and context clues to form objective evaluations of a situation, and it's not up to me to scale down the "intensity" (or lack thereof) of an argument.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:07:57 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 04:12:04 AM »
That's a poor defense, because if it's not shown or given some kind of continuity, that means it didn't happen. That's how literature/visual media is interpreted and arguing what-ifs the way you're doing is like arguing head canon which becomes even more convoluted than what you're/we're/whatever doing right now.
That's just the thing: you presented Iroh ignoring the presence of mines or falling into a trap as cavalier disregard. But that's a "what-if" as well. Yet you present it as a "good example" with certainty. I argue you can't get away with that any better than I could construct an argument to absolve Iroh. I'm playing "Devil's Advocate" in this case.
Quote (selected)
Quote (selected)
The assumption we have to draw is that there are thousands of people who are as capable as Ty Lee on the opposition and Hiroshi Sato is Henry Ford/the Wright Brothers/God of War rolled into one, and I don't like any of these assumptions.

How is this not true?

Quote (selected)
Every other time was just them getting pit against insurmountable (where did it come from) odds and losing pitifully. There was no fair contest.

How was this not true?

Quote (selected)
They basically spelled out in the entirety of the show (AKA it was Bryke's intention) to show us that the government of Republic City was an utter farce.

How is this not true?
I already explained how they can't be claimed as objectivity "true" in my original posts.

Quote (selected)
Again, I haven't presented any opinion and regarded it as fact. I've presented pretty clear comments that are probably more true than they are false, and for purposes of debate, regard them as true for the sole purpose of garnering discussion.
Yes, you have comments that are in your opinion clear, and in your opinion "more true than false", and your put them forward as true.

And that's a bogus practice. You are basically "rounding up" in terms of validity. You think you're pretty close to right, so you think  you have license to present it as objectively true. In reality, you think your assessments are correct and true, very much so, but they're still opinions. I don't care if you think you're just stoking the fires to spur discussion, it's a cheap tactic to push opinions as factual no matter how confident you are in them. It muddles what you are actually saying and breeds a combative tone.

Quote (selected)
I haven't done this with debatable points. Again, prove why what I said was wrong, because you might not like the implications that come along with them, but the Equalists are basically Ty Lee fighters, Hiroshi Sato is a Ford/God of War cross, and Bryke's intention was made exceptionally clear in episode 12 that the government of Republic City is run with people who aren't the best politicians.

So again, show me where I'm taking debatable points and presenting them as factoids.
There's no proving anything, I and several others have already registered our thoughts on all of the above. You evidently aren't satisfied. We'll agree to disagree. But if you're still tone deaf to the way you're portraying your opinions (in that very quote, for instance), I can't do anything about it as this point.

Quote (selected)
1. Good luck ever getting "more information" because I guarantee a lot of these things will never get revisited, which isn't a bad thing. Season One is just over.
I know. That's what I'm acknowledging.

Quote (selected)
When examples get ignored, that's when you get the assumptions that the person who isn't responding doesn't have anything to say to them.

Just because you say you have opposed points of views doesn't mean you can just wave certain things off and say "I just don't buy things" and expect someone to think that their argument is bogus.
I think your examples are being ignored more because there doesn't seem to be much of a point in discussing them, in your world they're equivalent to fact "for the purposes of debate". If that's the conditions of the debate one is entering, it makes more sense to just not enter.

Quote (selected)
So there's something fundamentally wrong with looking at Korra in a different angle and then posting it up to see who bites?
When posting it up in the manner you insist upon, yes. Plenty of folks here have wildly different ways of looking at Korra, and there's nothing wrong with that. But they also don't present it so antagonistically.

Quote (selected)
Since when have I been disrespectful in debate? I may be cold and nonpersonal, but that's not disrespect as much as it is I don't really care so much about you as much as I do your arguments, and I treat everyone this way, even people that I know more closely on this site. And if I think your arguments are bad or if I think my initial argument was garbage, then I'll say it is.
On the contrary, you've been far from cold and nonpersonal, as such adjectives do not describe the use of sarcasm and hyperbole. They do describe a lack of courtesy that has been present since the start of this discussion. That you treat everyone this way does not absolve it.

Quote (selected)
The current way you're debating a fictional universe is like saying you need some kind of absolute information before making any judgments, and that's ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with using conjecture and context clues to form objective evaluations of a situation.

Sure. Only you aren't presenting evaluations, you're forming evaluations and presenting them as fact "for the purpose of debate".

“It is not what you say that matters but the manner in which you say it; there lies the secret of the ages.” -William Carlos Williams

That quote remains one of the best bits of advice I've ever been given.
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Guyw1tn0nam3

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Inhumane and beautiful
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 04:39:25 AM »
Quote (selected)
That's just the thing: you presented Iroh ignoring the presence of mines or falling into a trap as cavalier disregard. But that's a "what-if" as well. Yet you present it as a "good example" with certainty. I argue you can't get away with that any better than I could construct an argument to absolve Iroh. I'm playing "Devil's Advocate" in this case.

How is that a what-if? The show doesn't tell you that he got intel, he didn't scout the area, he didn't do anything. Therefore, you can't assume that he did, and therefore you believe that he went into the harbor just like that.

You don't just assume someone did something in a work of literature. There are some certain conjectures you can draw based on context clues that can be your personal fact because it's your personal interpretation, but on the whole, the way you're evaluating a scenario is based on what-ifs that don't exist.

Quote (selected)
I already explained how they can't be claimed as objectivity "true" in my original posts.

Because there's no additional information? If all you do is ask for tangibles and don't exist and then debate on said information that doesn't exist, I don't understand why I should believe you.

Quote (selected)
Yes, you have comments that are in your opinion clear, and in your opinion "more true than false", and your put them forward as true.

And that's a bogus practice. You are basically "rounding up" in terms of validity. You think you're pretty close to right, so you think  you have license to present it as objectively true. In reality, you think your assessments are correct and true, very much so, but they're still opinions. I don't care if you think you're just stoking the fires to spur discussion, it's a cheap tactic to push opinions as factual no matter how confident you are in them. It muddles what you are actually saying and breeds a combative tone.

How else would you evaluate it? It's pure utilitarian and if I've ever doubted a position I've had, I've said it.

You weigh arguments for and against something that you interpret and you just say "this is my interpretation and I think I'm right." Just because I have an opinion doesn't mean that I have to add disclaimers. That's up to you to point out,  not me.

Quote (selected)
There's no proving anything, I and several others have already registered our thoughts on all of the above. You evidently aren't satisfied. We'll agree to disagree. But if you're still tone deaf to the way you're portraying your opinions (in that very quote, for instance), I can't do anything about it as this point.

Except I'm pretty sure you haven't proven any of the above, because everything I've read has been "but it's just interpretation", when clearly some things are meant to be not interpreted and some things are just analogies that other people quote out of context.

If all you're going to do is say "It's all up to interpretation" when there are clear thematic errors in presentation that doesn't allow me to see past plot holes and contradictions, that's not my fault and it's not the fault of my interpretation.

Quote (selected)
I think your examples are being ignored more because there doesn't seem to be much of a point in discussing them, in your world they're equivalent to fact "for the purposes of debate". If that's the conditions of the debate one is entering, it makes more sense to just not enter.

Again, show me where I've made arguments that I think are fact? None of what you presented to me before are actual arguments but are more or less facts that I use to build a case.

You have this idea that you can disprove a fact just because it's open to interpretation, but if you can't provide a counter-interpretation that's actually grounded in context that's given in the show, I don't see a reason to believe you.

Quote (selected)
When posting it up in the manner you insist upon, yes. Plenty of folks here have wildly different ways of looking at Korra, and there's nothing wrong with that. But they also don't present it so antagonistically.

How is it antagonistic?

Quote (selected)
On the contrary, you've been far from cold and nonpersonal, as such adjectives do not describe the use of sarcasm and hyperbole. They do describe a lack of courtesy that has been present since the start of this discussion. That you treat everyone this way does not absolve it.

Not sure what you mean by non-courteous, but I don't think I've leveled a single attack on you this entire time. I've only attacked your arguments, and if you can't take it and your only back up argument is "I didn't want to be here this entire time anyway", again, that's not my problem.

If anything, I think in the time that I've been here, there's been pretty heavy implications that I'm a newbie unprofessional debater, with a spiteful attitude that somehow is attacking people and trying to pick a fight. I think if there's anyone that's pointing fingers rather than actually looking at the discussion, it's been you.

Quote (selected)
Sure. Only you aren't presenting evaluations, you're forming evaluations and presenting them as fact "for the purpose of debate".

“It is not what you say that matters but the manner in which you say it; there lies the secret of the ages.” -William Carlos Williams

That quote remains one of the best bits of advice I've ever been given.

I haven't presented an argument as fact. Show me where I've made a broad argument about Korra and presented it as fact and I'll concede.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:48:50 AM by Guyw1tn0nam3 »

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:13 AM »
Clearly, reaching an understanding is not going to be possible here. If I thought it were I'd continue, but there's a complete disconnect in what we're saying and what's being communicated. As it is, I should have taken these issues to PM several posts ago.

Apologies to anyone who has felt shut out of the thread with something to say, please continue.

Offline Arcanger

• Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 10
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 04:52:55 AM »
It's not a big deal.

I don't see how Guy was being rude.

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »
Guy's been responding to other people's posts like my own and Feng Li's so I don't think he's been shutting people out or anything.

Offline FengLi

• Pro-bending Fan
  • Championship Pot: 4
  • Don't worry, It gets better - Avatar Roku
    • Fanfiction.net profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 05:32:05 AM »
Um, so Probending? Necessary to bring everyone together in the beginning but then a major timewaster in the end?

I think it was an excuse to see bender vs bender fights, since almost all the REAL fighting was between pressure-point ninjas and...the Avatar who wasn't acrobatic enough. I just felt the fight scenes were underwhelming. A:TLA had some good fight scenes that were fun to watch, while the ones in Korra were iffy. I mean the finale was basically pearl harbor and attack of the giant robots all rolled into one and while that was indeed very cool to watch  it felt out of place in the A:TLA universe. I remember I had a real shock when I saw the episode 'The Northern Air Temple' and the introduction of tanks; and that took a while to get used to. They didn't add anything new until the DOBS with airships.

Just like Bolin said, WHERE did he find the time to invent all the stuff?
ATLA Keeps: Sokka'smoked sea slug and Aang's armor in 'Sokka's Master', 3.14

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 05:35:32 AM »
Pro-bending was great and the show was way better when it was going. It gave the show structure and the characters reasons to be there.

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 07:10:11 AM »
Um, so Probending? Necessary to bring everyone together in the beginning but then a major timewaster in the end?

I think it was an excuse to see bender vs bender fights, since almost all the REAL fighting was between pressure-point ninjas and...the Avatar who wasn't acrobatic enough. I just felt the fight scenes were underwhelming. A:TLA had some good fight scenes that were fun to watch, while the ones in Korra were iffy. I mean the finale was basically pearl harbor and attack of the giant robots all rolled into one and while that was indeed very cool to watch  it felt out of place in the A:TLA universe. I remember I had a real shock when I saw the episode 'The Northern Air Temple' and the introduction of tanks; and that took a while to get used to. They didn't add anything new until the DOBS with airships.
Well, actually, they didn't add anything new until The Drill.

The Airships were made by the Mechanist, and it was a plot point set up in the same episode as the tanks. He invented all of that technology to ensure the safety of his home, and they were all merely used separately at later dates.

I think the issue is, the Mechanist felt more genuine. He was hiding it inside the temple, in a secret room where only four airbenders or the Avatar were supposed to be able to enter with bending. This guy dedicated his life to mechanics. Hiroshi is a businessman who somehow manages to hide all of this stuff in a functioning, bustling society with police all about. If he doesnt have some connection to the government that ensures they don't do a double take at his work, it is rather sketchy and flimsy.

As for the main point, I see it. Probending was the optimal way of including fighting in a modern society where you really shouldn't be running around hurting people; making it part of entertainment or hardened street-life. It worked within its own context and didn't feel out of place.

The only way to make outlandish fighting acceptable is to put people in a war-situation, which is what they had to do in the finale.

Probending served its purpose well. I think Mike and Bryan were looking for a more intense, gritty and strong combat situation that would show true stakes, rather than keeping the light, quick and showy style involved in Probending throughout. It provided some nice contrast, as well as showed nice technical and cultural development.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:13:57 AM by Av »
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 36
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »
Let me add something else to my critique:

Bromotions, bromotions, bromotions.  We were told that the bros would kick all sorts of ass and put their lives on the line for each other in a heartbeat...but, in the grand scheme of things, we didn't really get to see much of that.  (Although Mako's Papa Wolf moment in 3 almost got me liking the mopey so-and-so...)
I keep:  Lin Beifong's resolve, Asami Sato's integrity, and Bolin's endearing inability to lie.

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 11:43:50 AM »
I'd be all for stronger emphasis on bromotions, a la "Full Metal Alchemist" or "Supernatural".

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 12:01:59 PM »
I'd be all for stronger emphasis on bromotions, a la "Full Metal Alchemist" or "Supernatural".
Y'know, I've seen all of two episodes of FMA (need to remedy that)...but the Elric brothers are a perfect example of what I was thinking of.  That's what I thought we were going to get with the Ferret Brothers, but really didn't.
I keep:  Lin Beifong's resolve, Asami Sato's integrity, and Bolin's endearing inability to lie.

Offline Amira Elizabeth

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 26
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2013, 04:53:09 AM »
Honestly, the whole issue with Lin's sacrifice and the loss of her bending and how it was just sort of brushed aside kind of annoyed me. 

I will be honest, I found her a more interesting character than Korra so maybe my bias is showing a little here, but they had this amazing character whose acts before the finale were some of the most poignant and she got no mention in "Endgame" and was briefly referred to by Korra when she was freeing Tenzin.  Later her only purpose seemed to be yet another person worrying over Korra. 

I would have loved to have seen in "Endgame" Bolin and Asami find her and find that she had lost her bending and seen her help them take those planes and mecha tanks down.  I was just waiting for her to jump in another one of those tanks and being all like "You may have taken my bending, but I am still a Beifong!" and join Asami in a taking care of those planes and Equalists.

There was just so much that they could have done with her and her situation.  And instead it was kind of like: "Okay we used her character for this tearjerker scene, now we can push her to the background and not even have the other characters show any concern for her bending loss too."
Owner of Avataramira.com & Air Temple Island Forum
http://www.avataramira.com

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2013, 04:58:30 AM »
Honestly, the whole issue with Lin's sacrifice and the loss of her bending and how it was just sort of brushed aside kind of annoyed me. 

I will be honest, I found her a more interesting character than Korra so maybe my bias is showing a little here, but they had this amazing character whose acts before the finale were some of the most poignant and she got no mention in "Endgame" and was briefly referred to by Korra when she was freeing Tenzin.  Later her only purpose seemed to be yet another person worrying over Korra. 

I would have loved to have seen in "Endgame" Bolin and Asami find her and find that she had lost her bending and seen her help them take those planes and mecha tanks down.  I was just waiting for her to jump in another one of those tanks and being all like "You may have taken my bending, but I am still a Beifong!" and join Asami in a taking care of those planes and Equalists.

There was just so much that they could have done with her and her situation.  And instead it was kind of like: "Okay we used her character for this tearjerker scene, now we can push her to the background and not even have the other characters show any concern for her bending loss too."
ALL THE YUANS.

Offline LadyKatara

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 18
  • Kataang Always!
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2013, 11:43:12 PM »
Going on with what Secrets said, I think it would be better if Korra got the ability to restore bending at the end of season 2.
If that happened, there would be good angst with Lin. I definitely would be fine with Korra getting her bending back in season 1 though.
Instead of whatever spirit storyline they are having, they could have Republic city rebuilding and crime being higher than ever with all the damage the equalists had done.
The equalists could still be there, although rather broken and weak, at least not powerful they were with Amon.
While I'm pretty sure this will be a side plot in season 2, this really could be the main plot!
Alas, it was not meant to be.
I'm not complaining if the actual season 2 is going to be really good though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:49:35 PM by LadyKatara »

"Vivec is a poet. Trust not the words of a poet, as he is born to seduce. Yet for poetry to sieze the heart, it must ring with the chimes of truth."

Formally katara314 on KF

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 12:58:55 AM »
I could say many things but one thing they could have revised or done better was Bolins transition from reallllly (and i mean reallly) liking korra to him being okay with Mako moving in on her. Or maybe just not have had the borra in it at all. I mean. I love it...but what significance did bolin liking korra have to the storyline? Not much of anything. Then why show the date and bolins' look'? I dont really see why they'd put it in there just to have it dismissed an episode later. I would have prefered a borra friendship that didnt entail bolins character getting shoved aside like a minor and his feelings nonchalantly butchered without many of us even realizing it.
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 153
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2013, 10:23:27 AM »
Really, I just keep repeating this.

Bolin.

The problem isn't that Bolin has an inferiority complex and his feelings get shoved under the rug, it's that the story itself doesn't care nor even seem to notice. The narrative just lets it happen. It doesn't ever look at Bolin and go "This is wrong" or even "That's pretty sad," it instead just goes "Yeah, you don't deserve Korra like Mako does!" in the most obnoxious and even cruel way. It's a terrible thing that happened with Bolin, but the story itself doesn't treat it like so. It seems more apathetic and dismissive than anything, and that's partly what resulted in Mako giving me a bad taste in the mouth. It felt like the story was geared toward aggrandizing Mako at Bolin's expense and it expected me to just agree with it. It fails to recognize our persistence to cheer for the underdog, which just made the unfolding story seem that much more vindictive and shallow.

Again, the problem really isn't what happened with Bolin, it's that the narrative didn't even seem to care.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline aanglover

• Elite Borra Metalbender
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 63
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2013, 11:30:12 AM »
Really, I just keep repeating this.

Bolin.

The problem isn't that Bolin has an inferiority complex and his feelings get shoved under the rug, it's that the story itself doesn't care nor even seem to notice. The narrative just lets it happen. It doesn't ever look at Bolin and go "This is wrong" or even "That's pretty sad," it instead just goes "Yeah, you don't deserve Korra like Mako does!" in the most obnoxious and even cruel way. It's a terrible thing that happened with Bolin, but the story itself doesn't treat it like so. It seems more apathetic and dismissive than anything, and that's partly what resulted in Mako giving me a bad taste in the mouth. It felt like the story was geared toward aggrandizing Mako at Bolin's expense and it expected me to just agree with it. It fails to recognize our persistence to cheer for the underdog, which just made the unfolding story seem that much more vindictive and shallow.

Again, the problem really isn't what happened with Bolin, it's that the narrative didn't even seem to care.

Why cant i say things as fluently n smooth as an Av?!

Thats exactly what i was thinking but couldnt put into words. All of the Yuans!!

I also feel like Asami was  a little dooped also. Shoved aside...to make room for other character time. I'm just glad were gonna see more of Asami  in season 2..cuz both her and Bolin now need some of the screentime so we can appreciate more of them and know who they are as characters; their flaws, strengths, insecurities & give us a reason to care about them.

Also, i felt there could have been more fastpaced action in the finale. Most of the first part was backstory, and eventhough it put some sense into why Amon was amon and why Tarrlock was himself it was a little *yawn for me.Doing that an episode ago would have been nice but its not a major thing. As well as the Korra/Mako run away with Amon....Sure it was meant to be scary and shocking that Korra actually had her bending taken away..but  it just felt more like a makorra scene than anything to me. She couldnt stand yet another person, especially dear mako, getting his bending taken away so she just magically bent air to save him at the last moment. A little cliché and underwhelming for me. Just wish the other characters (like bei fong or even tenzin showing up to try and help) would have been more apart of it, ya know?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 11:43:52 AM by aanglover »
click for HD

Keeps:
-Bolins look at Korra on Harmony Tower during their date
-Korras door busting abilities
-Bolin's pants-zipper scene
-the cake & rose Bolin gave Korra
-Anytime Toph calls Aang 'twinkletoes'

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2013, 12:06:47 PM »
^Yes, especially Lin.

Yeah and this was also my problem with Mako. Characters doing bad things and having bad things happen to them is fine, but I just never saw that acknowledged in the story itself.

Offline Deist Zealot

• P'heer Marked Me
  • Waterbending Healer
  • Round 1!
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »
Have a yuan, Av.

I think a lot of the issues with the show came down to this apparent need to shill the tribute character, and an apparent expectation on the part of the narrative for us not to care if that came at someone else's expense. 

Bolin got the worst of the backlash from that—not only invalidated, but sidelined to boot.  But as aanglover has pointed out, Asami wasn't exempt, either.  (Hell, not even Korra was exempt.)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:03:33 AM by Deist Zealot »

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.