Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: J.R.R. Tolkien (The Hobbit/LOTR/Silmarillion/Etc)  (Read 1373 times)

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
J.R.R. Tolkien (The Hobbit/LOTR/Silmarillion/Etc)
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
Here's a thread for all the Tolkien books.I absolutely loved the Hobbit and LOTR. So I am what's known in the Tolkien fandom as a Ringer. However, I wasn't too fond of the Silmarillion. It seemed to drag.

My favorite character in LOTR was always Aragorn with Faramir close behind. My favorite Hobbits were Merry and Pippin. In the Hobbit, my favorite character was Thorin.
Set by Waterlady

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
Re: J.R.R. Tolkien (The Hobbit/LOTR/Silmarillion/Etc)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »
Okay, so I got Simarillion for Christmas and I understand it's a prequel. But I have never read Lord of the Rings nor The Hobbit. I've only seen the movies. So I was wondering if I should possibly read the sequels first or something?

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline Av

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 152
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »
Sil pretty much explains the entire universe.
AV IS FLAWLESS
I HEAR HIS SNARK IS INSURED FOR 10000 DOLLARS
I HEAR HE MAKES AVATAR COMMERCIALS IN TIAWAN
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline LadyKatara

• Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 18
  • Kataang Always!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »
Okay, so I got Simarillion for Christmas and I understand it's a prequel. But I have never read Lord of the Rings nor The Hobbit. I've only seen the movies. So I was wondering if I should possibly read the sequels first or something?
It's fine to read the Silmarillion first! Like Av said, it pretty much explains the entire universe. But you really should read the Lord of the Rings books and The Hobbit book. The books are better than the movies.

"Vivec is a poet. Trust not the words of a poet, as he is born to seduce. Yet for poetry to sieze the heart, it must ring with the chimes of truth."

Formally katara314 on KF

Offline Chaos

• cha0tic entity
  • Chi Blocker
  • Round 1!
  • Championship Pot: 27
  • expect n0thing and everything.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:54:40 PM »
the b00k2 are dr1er than the 2ahara 1n a dr0ught

cha02 has n0 name, n0 place, n0 gender......cha02 is n0thing and everything - unpredictable

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 12:28:10 AM »
Basically JRR Tolkien writes like you'd expect a historian to. It's quite detached and focused on events and their place, and not really very character-involved. There are some bits and pieces, but the movies are much more up-close and personal. There's simply more information provided within the text than the movies decided to keep in.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline Lionheart

• Task Force
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 52
  • Taking out the dregs of humanity since 1917.
    • My FF.net
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 12:46:12 AM »
Couldn't have said that better myself, Phil. Yeah, he seemed so detached from his characters. I often compare JRRT to JKR even if the have completely different styles. While Tolkien created a superior story IMO, Rowling is the superior author for the mere fact that with her, we get to experience them along with her characters.
Set by Waterlady

Offline wherewulf

• Councilman wherewulf / Moderator
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 130
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »
Roy, I would start with The Hobbit and go forward from there.  I agree with Av and LadyKatara that The Silmarillion does explain Tolkien's universe, but The Hobbit gives you the best (and most digestible) starting point within that universe.  It's a worthwhile read, but I think it's better to read The Hobbit, then Lord of the Rings, and then get the canvas filled in bit by bit after that.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 10:20:10 PM »
That's actually what I was planning, since I have The Hobbit right now.

Although it's a little late to give me a recommendation, I wrote that in February of last year. XD

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline LadyKatara

• Round 1!
  • Kataang Always!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 02:33:45 AM »
I personally really disagree with what you guys are saying. I have read and absolutely adored Harry Potter and The Hunger Games, but I WILL go as far to say that The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion are far superior. I have never read better books and never will, or I'll eat my words. I've developed a love and passion for them greater that ANY other fictional world, even the Avatar world. And Beren and Luthien I love just as much, if not more, as Aang and Katara. (This is coming from someone who has made multiple works of fanart for Kataang, and wrote "Kataang for ever!" on her dresser. With pen. Probably shouldn't have done that. xD) Tolkien is detached from his characters? What about the sorrow of Eowyn, the madness of Denethor, the growth and loss of innocence of Frodo, the temptation of Galadriel, Arwen's choice, the ruining of Gollum by the Ring, the woes and doom of the Noldor and the Oath of Feanor, the sorrow of Luthien, Nienor Niniel and Turin Turambar, Maeglin's love for Idril turning to hatred, the subtle but tragic fate of Tar-Miriel, etc?  The books are also way better than the movies. :p

ANYWAY. xD I absolutely adored the Silmarillion! I'm making a poem about the story of Beren and Luthien. (I know the Lay of Leithien exists, shut up. xD) This is my first real poem:

In the elven kingdom Doriath the fair,
A maiden there was who lightly danced there,
Most lovely of all the children of Arda,
As fair as one the stars of Varda,

Her hair was as dark as the shadows of the night,
Her piercing grey eyes were as bright as starlight,
Her fair white skin was flawless and smooth,
Lovely flowers sprang where she moved,
Most beautiful of elves, most beautiful of men,
Her dress was blue as the unclouded heaven,

The maiden's name was Luthien Tinuviel,
And her birth caused the first sprouting of the niphredil,
Born of King Thingol, and Melian the Maia,
She was fair, noble, regal, and high,

Now Queen Melian around Doriath had a spell,
That kept out fires of Morgoth, and evil orcs fell,
Shift-shaping Balrogs, Sweet-tongued feins,
Anything with less power than the Queen,
But one thing it didn't protect against, perhaps deadliest to Luthien-
The love of a valiant man named Beren.

That's what I have far.

"Vivec is a poet. Trust not the words of a poet, as he is born to seduce. Yet for poetry to sieze the heart, it must ring with the chimes of truth."

Formally katara314 on KF

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 02:44:29 AM »
It's writing style. Certain writers write from character perspectives, and allow you a deeper glimpse into their psyche. Other authors write things as they occur and the reader infers from what they've been given. Tolkien is the latter, he's more reserved in his tellings. He doesn't go inside the character's head-space and tell you how things are happening in there, he presents you with the physical scenario as it is, and characters do undergo shifts and changes, but for the most part the reader does the work in examining and growing attachments to the characters. That's not good or bad, it's a style, and everybody has inclinations or biases in regards to styles they like or find more easy to digest.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

Offline LadyKatara

• Round 1!
  • Kataang Always!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 03:05:46 AM »
Yeah, I guess you're right Av. Did you like my poem? :D

Formally katara314 on KF

Offline Av

• Knockout!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2014, 05:42:38 AM »
Yes! It's very nice. It does capture the ancient-rhyme feeling that one should go for in a fantasy setting.

I think there should be an 'of' between 'one' and the' in the last line on the first stanza? Other than that, I would just make some minor tweaks to the second stanza for flow.

Her hair was as dark as the shadows of the night,
Her piercing grey eyes as bright as starlight,
Her fair white skin was flawless and smooth,
Lovely flowers sprang from wherever she moved,
Most beautiful of elves, most beautiful of men,
Her dress was as blue as unclouded heaven,

Of note, in my first read through, on the second line of the first stanza, my brain kind of hiccuped because of the two uses of 'there', which could be made simpler by going for 'A young, spritely maiden lightly danced there" or other fill-in words of that nature before 'maiden'. It's all these little, inconsequential things that add up to become important.

I find the most difficult parts of writing poetry are that I read over my poems so many times I can't even really make alterations anymore because I can't even figure out how it all sounds out together. Parts of my brain will tell me "I can change this part to rhyme, but then it won't rhyme with that." I'm always making alterations every time I read through my own work. Keeping fresh eyes can be a nightmare, as poetry is some of the most complex writing one can do. But you have a solid foundation right there, and I like the scheme you're going for. You could write a whole story like that.
AV IS FLAWLESS
ONE TIME HE HIT ON ME
...IT WAS AWESOME

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.