Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Teo Lee General Discussion  (Read 29764 times)

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
Re: Teo Lee General Discussion
« Reply #400 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »
The reason the Teo Lee thread appears to be so over-active is because Melon and I ship it. And we've kind of been spamming the thread unabashedly.

(By the way, what's the second most popular ship you're talking about? One is obviously Zutara, but what's the other? Tokka?)

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
« Reply #401 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:12 PM »
Yes, Tokka. Tokka is unabashedly the most popular Sokka-ship by a wide margin.  Which is a shame, because even Toph wasn't shipping Tokka by the end of the series...

But yeah, Shiney pretty much hit the nail on the head- the two of us ship it kind of a lot and when we love something we talk about it. A lot. Even if no one else gives a damn.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #402 on: June 06, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »
You two are crazies. And I love it. XDD

Shush you, Tokka is amazing.
<< Post Merge: June 06, 2013, 10:06:37 PM >>

It's not even an official canon ship.

You do remember which fandom you're dealing with, right?  The two most popular ships in the fandom by an ENORMOUS margin are 100% fanon...

Well to be fair I was kinda tired when I wrote that. And I didn't mention fanon because this is fanon. I was merely talking about ships on this forum, where the canon ones are the most popular.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 10:06:37 PM by Fenix »

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
« Reply #403 on: June 07, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »
Well, to be fair to your... fairness, this is a particularly fanon ship, in that is has no established canon interaction at all. They don't even have a connection other than mutual acquaintances. Both Tokka and Zutara has, and while that doesn't make romantic implication any more justified, it's easier to drag people in.

Also, I don't know if this is a particularly canon shipping site. Granted, the Kataang threads are spammed, but again - Melon and I ship it. Still, there's quite a lot of Tokka (I think), as well as some for the other fanon ATLA ships. As for LoK, I think the support for both Borra and Korrasami far outweighs the Makorra shippers. That's my impression, anyway. :-P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:11:07 PM by ShineyFishes »

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #404 on: June 07, 2013, 08:07:13 PM »
Well, to be fair to your... fairness, this is a particularly fanon ship, in that is has no established canon interaction at all. They don't even have a connection other than mutual acquaintances. Both Tokka and Zutara has, and while that doesn't make romantic implication any more justified, it's easier to drag people in.

That is true. But isn't that what makes Teo Lee great?

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #405 on: June 07, 2013, 10:09:06 PM »

Also, I don't know if this is a particularly canon shipping site. Granted, the Kataang threads are spammed, but again - Melon and I ship it. Still, there's quite a lot of Tokka (I think), as well as some for the other fanon ATLA ships. As for LoK, I think the support for both Borra and Korrasami far outweighs the Makorra shippers. That's my impression, anyway. :-P

But there are a few of us that remain true to canon - I am a proud card-carrying Kataang, Makorra, Tenma, Sukka, Maiko shipper. I do not deny nor criticize the other fanon shippers. But I like what's right there in front of us. :)
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #406 on: June 07, 2013, 10:10:27 PM »

That's definitely a part of it.  I love having such a blank canvas to work on, because it gives me more freedom as a creative mind. Teo Lee can be anything I build of them and that's fantastic.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #407 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »

That's definitely a part of it.  I love having such a blank canvas to work on, because it gives me more freedom as a creative mind. Teo Lee can be anything I build of them and that's fantastic.

That's basically like writing an original story. It's the fun part, the blank slate you get to work on and develop all on your own. You only have to follow your rules,  no one else's.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #408 on: June 08, 2013, 04:12:48 AM »
That's a fairly accurate assessment. And then one must consider the poetic beauty of Teo Lee, which has a sort of perfection all its own.  They're Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom... but they're also both throwbacks to the Air Nomads, in a way.  They both have that spirit, and I love it.

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #409 on: June 08, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »

We're openly saying they're Pema's parents, though. That's gotta count for something as far as how blank the slate actually is.

(Wait…then again, it's us that are saying it…and it's directly got to do with subtle resemblance and the "throwbacks to the Air Nomads" thing, which, it's really parts of fandom that picked up on this when it comes to Ty Lee…)

And in a way, the whole "blank slate" thing does speak to me as part of why I like crossover ideas so much, as well as why original characters are so popular in general. You do basically get to sprinkle in your own thoughts and what-ifs a little bit ALONG WITH your interpretations of canon. OCs are tougher for me in general, because not only is there an inherent risk there that this character's gonna get turned into a Sue (especially if the author's not trustworthy), but my mind's eye has a bit of a tough time actually visualizing characters I've never seen before. But having more freedom to work with is not a bad thing at all, especially within the structure of events that took place in a generally great canon.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SD’s Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
« Reply #410 on: June 08, 2013, 04:06:18 PM »
But there are a few of us that remain true to canon - I am a proud card-carrying Kataang, Makorra, Tenma, Sukka, Maiko shipper. I do not deny nor criticize the other fanon shippers. But I like what's right there in front of us. :)

You can definitely count me in there. My ships are the canon ships - some of them I'm more attached to than others, but they are still the ones I'll follow loyally until I'm told to do otherwise. Because, even if the relationship doesn't appeal to me, it's what appeals to the involved characters - and it's their rules of love that's important, not mine. I'm very against forcing my view of an ideal relationship or love or partner onto someone else if they're explicitly disagreeing with me, even in fiction.

I will deny the fanon ships if they are denied by canon, but I respect the right to have differing opinions. With LoK (or even with Maiko or Sukka), I don't think the endgame romance is necessarily settled in stone yet, so I'm open for discussion and opportunities, like Borra or Korrasami, (though frankly I feel, with Korra's current characterization, Makorra is the only ship that makes sense at the moment).

But yeah, canon shipper - always and anywhere - and quite strong in that. But also a person to whom a story doesn't die when it's over - it continues in my head and my heart.

That's where there's ships like Teo Lee. I'd slightly disagree that it's "completely blank territory" - it's not, it's within an established story with established characters. But what the ship is about, is an unexplored part of the story. We basically know nothing about this part of these characters life - their future, if or who they married, whether they had kids, whatever they did for a living. Stuff like that, we know nothing about - so we're giving characters who have no story a story. That's what it's about.

It's still our story, or our adding to the story, - not Bryke's, not canon - and I'll be ready to change my opinion if Bryke tell me to do so, but until then, I'll keep my headcanons for these characters, just like I have headcanons about the characters, the ships, I know more about. To me, there's not really a difference in that, just because we're talking about a romantic relationship. It's "filling in the blanks" and it doesn't contradict with anything - we're just continuing the stories in our own heads.

Also, as an extra bonus to this ship, we have our Pema theory, which is beyond poetically beautiful on so many levels.

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #411 on: June 09, 2013, 03:52:23 AM »
That's a fairly accurate assessment. And then one must consider the poetic beauty of Teo Lee, which has a sort of perfection all its own.  They're Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom... but they're also both throwbacks to the Air Nomads, in a way.  They both have that spirit, and I love it.

Well put. Makes me want to ship it more. I haven't fully converted to this ship yet, although I have flirted with the idea a bit.

And speaking of Pema. You know who she reminds me of? Pacha's wife from Emperor's New Groove. Not just because they're hair is similar and they're both pregnant, but they also have very similar personalities. Think about it.

Offline A6

• Airbending Guru
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 230
  • avvie by Water Lily
« Reply #412 on: June 09, 2013, 05:24:50 PM »

You can definitely count me in there. My ships are the canon ships - some of them I'm more attached to than others, but they are still the ones I'll follow loyally until I'm told to do otherwise. Because, even if the relationship doesn't appeal to me, it's what appeals to the involved characters - and it's their rules of love that's important, not mine. I'm very against forcing my view of an ideal relationship or love or partner onto someone else if they're explicitly disagreeing with me, even in fiction.

I will deny the fanon ships if they are denied by canon, but I respect the right to have differing opinions. With LoK (or even with Maiko or Sukka), I don't think the endgame romance is necessarily settled in stone yet, so I'm open for discussion and opportunities, like Borra or Korrasami, (though frankly I feel, with Korra's current characterization, Makorra is the only ship that makes sense at the moment).

But yeah, canon shipper - always and anywhere - and quite strong in that. But also a person to whom a story doesn't die when it's over - it continues in my head and my heart.

That's where there's ships like Teo Lee. I'd slightly disagree that it's "completely blank territory" - it's not, it's within an established story with established characters. But what the ship is about, is an unexplored part of the story. We basically know nothing about this part of these characters life - their future, if or who they married, whether they had kids, whatever they did for a living. Stuff like that, we know nothing about - so we're giving characters who have no story a story. That's what it's about.

It's still our story, or our adding to the story, - not Bryke's, not canon - and I'll be ready to change my opinion if Bryke tell me to do so, but until then, I'll keep my headcanons for these characters, just like I have headcanons about the characters, the ships, I know more about. To me, there's not really a difference in that, just because we're talking about a romantic relationship. It's "filling in the blanks" and it doesn't contradict with anything - we're just continuing the stories in our own heads.

Also, as an extra bonus to this ship, we have our Pema theory, which is beyond poetically beautiful on so many levels.

You've done a commendable and entirely believable, as well as entertaining, job of creating the new ship for us from the blank canvas between the generations of characters. :)
signatures - gift from my talented friends Water Lily and Honey Badger :3

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
« Reply #413 on: June 10, 2013, 02:37:33 AM »
For me when it comes to shipping I'm still more of a canon shipper, unless I don't like the canon ship then I'll choose the next best (and better in my opinion) thing. Or if I'm just shipping fanon for kicks and possible inspiration. That's usually when I multi-ship. Though there are times when I multi-ship because the character has multiple love interests, aka harem. The only time I really hate a fanon ship is when I feel it disrupts canon in a really bad way. I may do fanon shipping, but I still like my canon.

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.