Welcome, Guest!!
follow us on... Facebook twitter google youtube

Author Topic: Teo Lee General Discussion  (Read 29763 times)

Offline The Melon Lord Approves

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 121
  • World's Biggest FAangirl
    • My tumblr
Teo Lee General Discussion
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:17:02 AM »
Because I do so dearly love my crackship, I figured I should start a thread for it.  Just in case anyone else would like to help me helm the S.S. Teo Lee.  And to help with that, I'm going to explain the thought process that led me to decide that Teo and Ty Lee clearly belong together.

It started when I had the vague idea that Teo (who with his airbender spirit was clearly Aang's very earliest inspiration for the society of Air Acolytes) could possibly be Pema's father.  It was a weird thought, an unlikely thought, and I did realize that he would have had to have this daughter later in life, at least into his forties, for the ages to work... but the idea stuck.  How poetic would it be if the daughter of the original steward of Air Nomad spirit actually became the mother of the new race of airbenders?

And that led me to wonder... who would Pema's mother be, if Teo were really her father?  And at first I was like "eh, some random Earth Kingdom girl or maybe one of the Acolytes."  And then one day I was talking about how Ty Lee obviously has airbender blood in her ancestry somewhere... and something just clicked.

Teo is Almost An Airbender.  Ty Lee is Almost An Airbender.

And even though they've never met, the more I think about their personalities, she bright and bubbly and a little bit silly and he steady and brave and reliable, but both of them with that same wild, free spirit to them... something about it just seemed to make sense.  They're so different, and yet so very much the same.

So now here I am, and I ship them like WHOA.  And while I will cling to my headcanon of them being the other set of grandparents to the airbabies until the world falls down (or, more accurately, until Bryke tells me not to), it's not even just that anymore.  But bearing that in mind... it would be kind of perfect if the new generation of airbenders were born of the blood of all four nations. POETRY, YO.

Also, if Ty Lee were the airbabies grandma... THIS EXPLAINS IKKI.

But even outside of that, there's just something really really awesome about Teo Lee, to me.  Anybody else agree?

*crickets*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 07:12:15 AM by Seluna »

Offline Blu

• Task Force
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 116
Re: Teo Lee
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
Maybe she could like, try and heal his legs by like, unblocking his chi or something.

Offline ShineyDragons

• Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 84
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Melon, you already know I agree on this. (Although I see it more as a funny theory/speculation than actual shipping, because I don't ship. At least not fanon).

First reason to ship them, is because, as you say, it would be really beautiful if they were Pema's parents, and the airbender babies had a) ancestors from all four nations, b) these two Almost Airbenders as grandparents.

But on their own, even if they aren't anyone we knows parents, it's also cool. They both have airbender spirit, in some way or another, and to be honest, I think they are sort of compatible as well.

This will probably be my headcanon until - IF - Bryke tells us otherwise.

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 117
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 10:16:32 PM »
I love this! All of this is 1000/10. I'm still pretty attached to Ty Laru (don't ask me why, it's all thanks to "School Time Shipping"), but this is definitely cute. <3
"...and everybody saved everybody else at some point."

~beatles icons by astrobeatles at LJ

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »
That's definitely cute, too, but I always felt like (although it was definitely adorable in STS) Haru just didn't have enough of a personality to attract a girl who's as absurdly full of personality as Ty Lee (although the 'Stache of Destiny does give him some points).  Teo has the same steadiness of character that Haru does (which would definitely be good for someone like Ty Lee), but he also has a lot more spunk and spark to him, and I can see her being drawn to that.

And of course, what guy wouldn't fall all over himself for the chance to be with Ty Lee? But Teo's always been insightful, and I think he'd really see her and not just her pretty face.

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:17 PM »
although the 'Stache of Destiny does give him some points).

XDDD Pretty much!

But you make some great points thar...I am totally on board the S.S. Teo Lee! I've always thought Teo is just an adorable little creature and so is Ty Lee, so consider me a member. He does have just the right amount of spunk--enough to keep up with Ty Lee, but not so much as to be just like her. XD

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »
I'm working on a Teo Lee vidlet.  It's angsty (because I'm playing on the whole they're-on-opposite-sides-of-a-huge-freaking-war thing) so I probably won't put it up until I have a happy one to counter it with, but so far it's adorable.  It would be significantly better if I had a significantly less sucky editing program, but when you're working on a Mac, there's not much you can do but sigh sadly and wish you could afford an adaptation of Sony Vegas...

Offline Spruce

• They don't think it be like it is...
  • Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 150
  • ...but it do
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:24 PM »
...you have me intrigued.

I would very much like to lurk moar in this thread, and absorb further arguments in favor (or against?) this ship. Don't mind me while I listen and stroke my non-existent beard in the corner.

(I wonder though: if she couldn't heal him, would Ty Lee deal with Teo's condition well? Then again, might be something poetically beautiful about the prettiest girl in the room giving her love to the polar opposite of the buff pretty boys...)
The best posts I ever made were the ones I didn't make.

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 10:47:19 AM »
Then again, might be something poetically beautiful about the prettiest girl in the room giving her love to the polar opposite of the buff pretty boys...

Not to mention it's actually consistent with her character. Remember, in the series she possesses a mild crush (some would include the word 'stalker' in the middle of that) on Sokka, who, while yeah, he's the most likely of the 100% consistent good guys to be deemed "The Hot One" by certain ladies here and elsewhere, doesn't have the stereotypical look (especially for Fire Nation, though that goes without saying) that a lot of Ty Lee's more popular suitors do.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SDs Signature & Avatar Boutique!

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:03:34 PM »
And it's also important to remember that, despite being a bit of an airhead, Ty Lee is amazingly un-superficial. Because she herself hates being overlooked as just another face in the crowd, she tends to look deeper at people and find things about them that are more important than the surface stuff.

Offline Fourtune

• There is simply no meaning to life if you live like a dead man.
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 69
  • We gotta make the dream come true!! Step by step!!
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 01:15:49 PM »
Exactly. The whole "auras" thing, however much of that is legit vs. just the way her own mind works, practically demands that she takes a deeper look at people after awhile. And let's be real, she is so much smarter than the average valley girl. She didn't have rose-colored glasses about Azula (see being freely able to tell her that she "probably would do something horrible to them" as part of a conversation at a party), cares about Zuko from the bit we see of their interaction, and is loyal enough to Mai, dreary ninjaness and all, who you would think is her total opposite (she's really not, though), that she would put herself on the chopping block to save her life.

Also, must stress. By "popular" I meant that in an in-universe sense.
This expertly-done set you see before you comes to TKC courtesy of SDs Signature & Avatar Boutique!

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 03:31:59 PM »
These are good points. I continue to be greatly intrigued

I too have noticed Ty Lee may look and sound like a "valley girl", but she doesn't really act like one. Not in some important ways, anyway.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:51:01 AM »
The whole "auras" thing, however much of that is legit vs. just the way her own mind works, practically demands that she takes a deeper look at people after awhile.

^^Yes. This. Exactly.

Ty Lee is so much more tuned in to what's going on than people think.  She's an airhead in the same way Aang's a goofball: it has an off switch. She floats around through her life because she likes to be happy, but that doesn't mean that she's oblivious or ditzy. But we've seen on more than one occasion that she's so much deeper than a lot of the fandom gives her credit for.  I swear, every time I watch The Beach, in that moment when she looks up at Zuko and says, dead serious, "I know you."  ...chills, man.

In a lot of ways, she's actually a lot like Mai in that regard- they both seem like they wouldn't (Ty Lee because everyone assumes she doesn't think and Mai because she deliberately fades into the background), but they both see so much more than what they let on.  And because of that, I can't help but think that she would look at Teo and not see a crippled kid, she'd see a very good-natured, intelligent guy with a zany streak and a generous spirit.

And as for Teo... well, we don't know him as well as we know her, obviously. But from what we know of him, I can really see him as the kind of boy who appreciates people for who they are, nothing more and nothing less, which is something Miss "I didn't want to spend the rest of my life as part of a matched set" would really value in a partner.

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 04:06:43 AM »
So...is there fic for this ship yet? Because I might be interested in it, if there were. It's rapidly growing on me.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 04:18:36 AM »
I'm working on one right now.  Actually, I have a few half-written ones, but I wanted to wait until after I put out the next chapter of Fireflight to complete any of them.  So... watch my tumblr.  A gift/promptfic for Shiney should be showing up there sometime tonight.
<< Post Merge: January 11, 2013, 06:58:18 AM >>

Firstly... have some crappy photoshop.

Secondly... have some crappy fic.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:58:18 AM by The Melon Lord Approves »

Offline Secrets

• feathered and lethal
  • Round 2!
  • Championship Pot: 73
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 11:59:51 PM »
I'm more of a Teoji and Ty Laru shipper. This never crossed my mind, but from all of the points made in this thread, it's definitely something I can imagine happening. I think they'd be cute together, especially since they both have a love for freedom and fun.

Offline Spruce

• Chi Blocker
  • Knockout!
  • ...but it do
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 01:53:27 AM »
Quote (selected)
"Maybe this sounds silly," she said, still with that pretty pink color staining her cheeks, "but... well, you actually listen when I talk."

And strangely enough, Teo thought maybe he was finally starting to understand Ty Lee.

....congratulations Melon.

That passage right there, form your supposedly "crappy" writing, just clinched it. I ship it.

• Naive Fools Club
  • Knockout!
    • My tumblr
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 05:18:49 AM »
Success!

Now if I could just convince Bryke to ship it...

Offline Fenix

• Knockout!
  • Championship Pot: 214
  • I'm Fenix and don't you forget it!!
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:23 AM »
Much like everyone else, I am suddenly very intrigued by this ship.

Extraordinarily awesome sig by Zevinja!!

Offline bombalurima

• Lightningbender
  • Knockout!
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 05:36:49 AM »
In a lot of ways, she's actually a lot like Mai in that regard- they both seem like they wouldn't (Ty Lee because everyone assumes she doesn't think and Mai because she deliberately fades into the background), but they both see so much more than what they let on. 

Oh god, I just had a fangirl moment. *heart palpitations*

...I almost want to write for this couple. It's been a while since I've dabbled in any endeavors with any characters that weren't of my own creation though, so I'm daunted...but if the inspiration/courage ever hits me, I'll have to give it a shot!

CREDITS:

Forum coded by Seluna
Logo illustrations courtesy of terrik_zion and Seluna.
-----

Enjoy the site?
You can donate to help with hosting and maintenance costs!

-----

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:

The Korra Connection is an unofficial, non-profit fansite made by fans. It is in no way affiliated with Nickelodeon, Viacom, creators Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino or anything else related to the Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend of Korra or related franchises. All ownership rights are respected by the staff of this site and no copyright infringement is intended.